Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Bishop played 33 times last season, 21 were starts and he averaged 58 minutes per appearance.

22/23: 24 apps, 19 starts, 61 mins per app

21/22: 36 apps, 28 starts, 67 mins per app

20/21: 36 apps, 28 starts, 65 mins per app

He’d be fine as a squad player behind Berry, Docherty, Coventry who I fully expect to be the first choice three.

I reckon he’s an upgrade on Bakinson, Fraser, Louie Watson who all made 20-30 appearances for us last season.
    I don’t think he’s what we are missing from that midfield group though. I think the final midfielder needs to be more of a physical presence. That Pratley type that you sometimes need in certain types of games and to see out wins. 

Bishop is just a less good and less fit version of what we already have in the squad 
  • Academy graduate Aaron Henry has completed a season-long loan move to Rochdale AFC. 
  • Valley11 said:
    I don’t know much about Bishop or Taylor for that matter but neither strikes me as attacking (perhaps I’m wrong).
    Add Doc, Coventry and Anderson into the holding midfielder category and it’s really only Berry who seems like the 10.
    The transfer business has been great so far but as well as an experienced no1 like Walton I think we need a back up CAM. 

I think in his intro video, Doherty says something about being forward thinking and  having goals and assists in his game?
    Is that Matt Doherty? Ken Doherty or Pete Doherty? 

Be a good partner for Docherty maybe? 
  • NabySarr said:
    Bishop played 33 times last season, 21 were starts and he averaged 58 minutes per appearance.

He’d be fine as a squad player behind Berry, Docherty, Coventry who I fully expect to be the first choice three.

I reckon he’s an upgrade on Bakinson, Fraser, Louie Watson who all made 20-30 appearances for us last season.
    I don’t think he’s what we are missing from that midfield group though. I think the final midfielder needs to be more of a physical presence. That Pratley type that you sometimes need in certain types of games and to see out wins. 

Bishop is just a less good and less fit version of what we already have in the squad 
    Is he meant to be a "missing piece" though? Or is he envisioned as somebody to bring off the bench to rest one of the main guys? If so his fitness is less of a risk if we don't actually want/need him to play from the start every time.

Just playing devil's advocate.
  • Now we know Teddy Bishop is in Slovenia (means we are probably giving him a proper trial) I did some snooping around on Lincolns forums

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/summer-transfer-rumours.137568/page-62

I'll post two of the highlighted comments below, but it sounds like he wasn't available all too often and has serious injury issues.

Despite what I said about the good Dr earlier, with having a few players dealing with injuries and fitness atm, I don't think we can afford to sign players who can't play a full 90.

Now we know Teddy Bishop is in Slovenia (means we are probably giving him a proper trial) I did some snooping around on Lincolns forums

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/summer-transfer-rumours.137568/page-62

I'll post two of the highlighted comments below, but it sounds like he wasn't available all too often and has serious injury issues.

Despite what I said about the good Dr earlier, with having a few players dealing with injuries and fitness atm, I don't think we can afford to sign players who can't play a full 90.

But yet they sign mcgrandles who spent 70% of his time here injured
    A good point and it shows what perspective can do as he was fit for them. If you ask Birmingham fans, they probably would say the same about Chuks because he lasted the whole season with them (as a sub)

I'm inclined to say Bishop isn't worth the risk, but I do trust the club a bit more given the current employees to make that risk and it isn't like it would be him or no one now.

I do wonder, with 5 subs now, if they are thinking in the same way Curbs often talks about of actively trying to recruit 'finishers'. People who can come on with half an hour to go, with high energy and impact games either from a defensive perspective or attacking. I think Chuks, DK, Anderson, TC, Edwards and Watson fit this well already.
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:
    Bishop played 33 times last season, 21 were starts and he averaged 58 minutes per appearance.

Is he meant to be a "missing piece" though? Or is he envisioned as somebody to bring off the bench to rest one of the main guys? If so his fitness is less of a risk if we don't actually want/need him to play from the start every time.

Just playing devil's advocate.
    I’d say we probably already have that in Taylor to backup Coventry and Anderson to back up berry. Think Docherty is going to be a bit of a box to box destroyer type and we could do with some cover in that role and add a bit more physicality to the midfield options as some games in league 1 need it. It’s a shame Bakinson was rubbish because I thought he could be that type of player 

Bishop is a decent technical footballer but I don’t think we are lacking in that department in our current 5 options 
  • edited July 9

Cheers for posting that, doesn't make it look as bad as Ipswich and Lincoln fans have made out, maybe they aren't as accustomed to the injury issues we witness as Charlton fans. 😂

Either way, it's in Jones hands and I trust him to get it right.
  • Bishop played 33 times last season, 21 were starts and he averaged 58 minutes per appearance.

Cheers for posting that, doesn't make it look as bad as Ipswich and Lincoln fans have made out, maybe they aren't accustomed to the injury issues we deal with. 😂

Wonder if part of the trial is a chance for Will Abott to assess his injuries as well as Jones to check his ability/fit
  • Any more news about that Jesse Costa? 

Cheers for posting that, doesn't make it look as bad as Ipswich and Lincoln fans have made out, maybe they aren't as accustomed to the injury issues we witness as Charlton fans. 😂

Interesting though as I thought NJ has said before that he wants and expects players to be able to complete 90+ minutes. 
  • seth plum said:
    Looks looks like I’m the only one worried about Wigan.
    I am sure your piers agree with you
  • Spending money like confetti?!  If only, eh?
  • Just had it from the horses mouth, Ronnie Moore, that Aaron Henry has joined Rochdale on a season long loan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Spending money like confetti?!  If only, eh?
    Should it not be "throwing money around like confetti?!", bloody Northerners can't even speak proper.
  • mendonca said:
    Think we can trust NJ and the current medical team to make the right call. Who knows, they may be looking for a midfielder who can excel for 15-20 games with rotation. No idea but they seem to know better than us and probably a Lincoln message board.
    That can't be right. Over the years, I've been led to believe the most knowledgeable people in football are posters on message boards, not those employed by clubs. 
  • Charlton? Signing a player from Lincoln? And with a chequered injury record? Well colour me flabbergasted. 
  • 995632 said:
    Valley11 said:
    I don’t know much about Bishop or Taylor for that matter but neither strikes me as attacking (perhaps I’m wrong).
    Add Doc, Coventry and Anderson into the holding midfielder category and it’s really only Berry who seems like the 10.
    The transfer business has been great so far but as well as an experienced no1 like Walton I think we need a back up CAM. 

I think in his intro video, Doherty says something about being forward thinking and  having goals and assists in his game?
    Is that Matt Doherty? Ken Doherty or Pete Doherty? 

Be a good partner for Docherty maybe? 
    Tommy?

I really hope we are going to use 3 strikers at times .  
  • Based on current squads and managers I would have us in 5th behind Birmingham, Huddersfield, Bolton and Rotherham. I think we are currently better placed than Reading, Peterborough, Wrexham and Barnsley.

Of course that is only on paper and plenty of those will under/over achieve.
    I've got a strange feeling that Bolton might fall off this season. In my opinion they were the best team last season and bottled it. Seems to be a growing unrest around Evatt among their fanbase and the pressure to gain promotion this year might cause problems if they don't hit the ground running.
    I think they were even better the season before, the fact they lost to Barnsley in the play-off, and again last season only fits the saying "its a funny old game", where you get perverse results especially in play -offs.
    It must be incredibly frustrating for fans, but really would you chuck the baby out with the bath water?
    I'd back Evatt to get them promoted this season, and if he didn't I'd reckon he do it the next season  but fans are very fickle Run out of cliches 
  • Now we know Teddy Bishop is in Slovenia (means we are probably giving him a proper trial) I did some snooping around on Lincolns forums

Now we know Teddy Bishop is in Slovenia (means we are probably giving him a proper trial) I did some snooping around on Lincolns forums

But yet they sign mcgrandles who spent 70% of his time here injured
    And interestingly or not, when loaned out, never had as much as a runny nose. I don't think he was a bad player but both he and Charlton were not compatible and he knew it. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!