Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Gribbo said:
    I don't get this paranoid fear of bloody Wrexham all of a sudden...🤷‍♂️
    It's not a fear of Wrexham ffs. It's a tongue in cheek comment, on the scenario of facing them in the the Play Off Final, in view of the fact our best player from over the last couple of years and club captain has just signed for them under strange circumstances.

Add to that Elliott Lee, who got goonered by us, to then go on and immediately do so well there.

But regardless of the above, they've just come up, and it would be a typical Charlton thing to do to finish 3rd and play 6th place at Wembley, to then let them, the underdog, win (even though they're at 7/2 and we're 5's to go up).

The comment wasn't aimed at you Gribbo, I didn't quote you did I...
    It is a general comment regarding Wrexham within not just this thread, but others, don't take things so personal mate...😉
  • Gribbo said:
    It's not a fear of Wrexham ffs. It's a tongue in cheek comment, on the scenario of facing them in the the Play Off Final, in view of the fact our best player from over the last couple of years and club captain has just signed for them under strange circumstances.

Add to that Elliott Lee, who got goonered by us, to then go on and immediately do so well there.

But regardless of the above, they've just come up, and it would be a typical Charlton thing to do to finish 3rd and play 6th place at Wembley, to then let them, the underdog, win (even though they're at 7/2 and we're 5's to go up).

We've never lost a play-off final so if we make it that far history would be on our side.

However, our record in play-off semi-finals is only 50% so that is the time to fear who ever we play, assuming to we miss out on automatic promotion : - )
  • I don't get this paranoid fear of bloody Wrexham all of a sudden...🤷‍♂️
    They are the Al-Ittihad of the 3rd division. 
  • I can’t see Wrexham getting that far. Mid table will be a good year for them
    Missing Mullen till October .. they will be happy to stay up and consolidate 
    One player won't stop a teams ambition.
  • i actually think this year's League one is going to be the most competitive yet, so for us a solid start and consistency from the off is an absolute must. It's hard to call the top 10 let alone top 6 imo this year 
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    i actually think this year's League one is going to be the most competitive yet, so for us a solid start and consistency from the off is an absolute must. It's hard to call the top 10 let alone top 6 imo this year 
    You have the three relegated teams who will be heavy favourites for promotion, the likes of Rotherham and (hopefully) ourselves who have backed successful coaches heavily in the summer and then there's the odd "surprise package" team who come out of nowhere.

It's going to be very tight at both ends this year I think. We've done well so far with recruitment but there can't be any resting on laurels, anyone else we bring in will need to be of equal quality to what we've done so far.
  • thenewbie said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    i actually think this year's League one is going to be the most competitive yet, so for us a solid start and consistency from the off is an absolute must. It's hard to call the top 10 let alone top 6 imo this year 
    You have the three relegated teams who will be heavy favourites for promotion, the likes of Rotherham and (hopefully) ourselves who have backed successful coaches heavily in the summer and then there's the odd "surprise package" team who come out of nowhere.

It's going to be very tight at both ends this year I think. We've done well so far with recruitment but there can't be any resting on laurels, anyone else we bring in will need to be of equal quality to what we've done so far.
    We are 9th favourites at 5/1 on Paddy Power. 
    Last week we were at 6/1, so there has been money bet on us. 
    Above us are:
    Birmingham 5/6
    Huddersfield 13/5
    Bolton 13/5
    Rotherham 7/2
    Wrexham 7/2
    Peterborough 4/1
    Reading 9/2
    Barnsley 9/2
  • JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    CAFCDAZ said:

Above us are:
    Birmingham 5/6
    Huddersfield 13/5
    Bolton 13/5
    Rotherham 7/2
    Wrexham 7/2
    Peterborough 4/1
    Reading 9/2
    Barnsley 9/2
    I’m quite confident at the moment we will be better than Wrexham, Peterborough, Barnsley and definitely Reading unless they get taken over and sign loads of brilliant players 
  • Sponsored links:

• Surprising to see Reading backed above us given their troubles…..
  • TheFXguy said:
    Surprising to see Reading backed above us given their troubles…..
    And Wrexham, they didn’t even win league 2 and have only added a couple of players to that squad vs Stockport who won the league and have made quite a few good signings 
  • TheFXguy said:
    Surprising to see Reading backed above us given their troubles…..
    Their squad is weaker than last year!! I can’t see anything but another relegation battle for them
  • Time to waste yet more money hopelessly backing Charlton get in now while it is still worth it!
  • If the season started today we'd have to have a terrible season to finish below Barnsley, Wrexham and Reading.

The rest given how far above us they finished last season, or the fact they were in a higher division, and the transfer windows they've had I can understand why they'd be shorter odds than us.

Barnsley have lost a lot of players, new manager, and only signed 1 player and 1 player/coach who isn't going to play week in week out.

Wrexham have lost a couple of players and only added 2, Dobson and Brunt. They didn't even win the league last season, and were closer to finishing below Mansfield than they were to finishing above Stockport, who have had a much better window so far.

Reading have lost a few players, have signed no one, are under an embargo where they can't even sign players on a free or a loan, and are only ever 1 missed payment away from another points deduction.

Obviously all that being said there is plenty of time for the above to change, but right now there is no way we should be finishing below those 3.
    Peterborough have also lost a few key players, they usually recruit well to replace but I’d imagine they won’t be as strong this year either 
  • NabySarr said:
    If the season started today we'd have to have a terrible season to finish below Barnsley, Wrexham and Reading.

The rest given how far above us they finished last season, or the fact they were in a higher division, and the transfer windows they've had I can understand why they'd be shorter odds than us.

Barnsley have lost a lot of players, new manager, and only signed 1 player and 1 player/coach who isn't going to play week in week out.

Wrexham have lost a couple of players and only added 2, Dobson and Brunt. They didn't even win the league last season, and were closer to finishing below Mansfield than they were to finishing above Stockport, who have had a much better window so far.

Reading have lost a few players, have signed no one, are under an embargo where they can't even sign players on a free or a loan, and are only ever 1 missed payment away from another points deduction.

Obviously all that being said there is plenty of time for the above to change, but right now there is no way we should be finishing below those 3.
    Peterborough have also lost a few key players, they usually recruit well to replace but I’d imagine they won’t be as strong this year either 
    They have, and they may also lose more. I can just understand why they're shorter odds than us given how far ahead of us they were last season. But yes as of right now I don't think they'll be as strong, but would expect they would still be in the playoff conversation. Unlike the other 3, unless they make some significant signings.
  • JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    CAFCDAZ said:

Above us are:
    Birmingham 5/6
    Huddersfield 13/5
    Bolton 13/5
    Rotherham 7/2
    Wrexham 7/2
    Peterborough 4/1
    Reading 9/2
    Barnsley 9/2
    That will be my tenner...
  • Sponsored links:

• Based on current squads and managers I would have us in 5th behind Birmingham, Huddersfield, Bolton and Rotherham. I think we are currently better placed than Reading, Peterborough, Wrexham and Barnsley.

Of course that is only on paper and plenty of those will under/over achieve.
    I've got a strange feeling that Bolton might fall off this season. In my opinion they were the best team last season and bottled it. Seems to be a growing unrest around Evatt among their fanbase and the pressure to gain promotion this year might cause problems if they don't hit the ground running.
  • JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    CAFCDAZ said:

Above us are:
    Birmingham 5/6
    Huddersfield 13/5
    Bolton 13/5
    Rotherham 7/2
    Wrexham 7/2
    Peterborough 4/1
    Reading 9/2
    Barnsley 9/2
    9th would be good.  
  • wmcf123 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    CAFCDAZ said:

Above us are:
    Birmingham 5/6
    Huddersfield 13/5
    Bolton 13/5
    Rotherham 7/2
    Wrexham 7/2
    Peterborough 4/1
    Reading 9/2
    Barnsley 9/2
    9th would be good.  

Let's hope my tenner is still in the race post Christmas :)

• Based on current squads and managers I would have us in 5th behind Birmingham, Huddersfield, Bolton and Rotherham. I think we are currently better placed than Reading, Peterborough, Wrexham and Barnsley.

I've got a strange feeling that Bolton might fall off this season. In my opinion they were the best team last season and bottled it. Seems to be a growing unrest around Evatt among their fanbase and the pressure to gain promotion this year might cause problems if they don't hit the ground running.
    Have the same feeling. It's frankly bonkers they haven't got promoted in recent seasons with the team they have and Evatt has serious questions to answer.

I'd agree with that analysis. The 3 relegated sides will be up there, while Bolton should be top 6 again. Barnsley and Posh need rebuilding. 
  • Gribbo said:
    They’ll be three teams promoted. We just need to be one of them. Couple more signings of the quality we’ve just had and I think we can achieve that.
    Got this overwhelming fear that we'll be playing Wrexham in the Play Off Final 
    He scores the winning penalty then runs into the director's box and two finger salutes Scott.
  • edited July 9
    They are the Man United of North Wales.
  • Reading being better backed than us without signing a single player and having a few leave is absolutely crazy and just shows how the betting doesn't always follow reality 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!