Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Rothko said:
    There was a reason Luke Berry was signed, and why Hylton is around, it's the standards and behaviours that Jones expects, and he wants senior pros who will show the way. 
    I wouldn't be surprised if Berry is made captain
    Neither would I.
  • Redhenry said:
    Hylton the new Andy Hughes?
    You could be right but I don’t quite feel it’s the same. Hughes still had a decent amount to offer as a player on top of the other stuff, can’t see it’s the same as Hylton. Nonetheless, doubt it will have a detrimental effect on our season so not a big deal. 
    I think some were saying the same about Andy Hughes, this time of the season tbf...
    Possibly, can’t really remember. But Hughes came from the Championship, Hylton is probably a non-league player now. My only (minor) issue is I can’t imagine we’ll go with 6 strikers so if we say loaned Kanu out and had Hylton as 1 of the 5 then I’d be a bit concerned if we got a couple of injuries. 

Other have mentioned this possibility and it's doing my head in this talk of loaning out Daniel Kanu. He is exactly the type of all action forward that Nathan Jones wants on the field whether he starts or comes off the bench to keep up the tempo, in Wide or central position.
    He scored double figures with his goals at Southend and Charlton and in an improved team this season could be a 12 to 15 goal scorer plus assists.
    Had to be a work horse last season in our mediocre team chasing lost causes.
    Probably need to read what I put again tbh 
  • Fantastic signings so far - Doc and Berry will boss midfields at this level and a decent strike parternership in Godden and Gass - with depth added with Myles , DK and CHUKS. 
    One more CB please alongside Mitchell and i think we are complete until an experiecned GK becomes available. 
    So nice to have 7 perm signings and no loans as well !!

Would it be the first time a club had no loans in League 1 if we do without? 
  • I'd like to see a bit more creativity, a plan B for breaking down stubborn defences, someone who can come up with a bit of individual magic.

That could be a loan player, if we are able to find another Rak-Sakyi type loanee.
  • edited July 8
    Everyone is talking like Hylton is a done deal. Quite rare when we actually have someone playing as a trialist that ends up getting a contract, from memory.

Personally I'd rather we don't sign him. I think its ridiculous to sign a player as a mascot. Let's find someone whose got a good mentality and can contribute to the team.
    The trialist was Bishop, I think Hylton was just a favour from NJ, as he said he knows all he needs to know about Hylton and what he can give, and he will probably end up with a player/coach contract, and hopefully Bishop will get a short contract if he performs well over the next couple of pre-season games, looked ok Saturday...
  • Kips said:
    Or a kick round the shoulder or an arm up the backside?
    Latter for me please if you're offering 

• Sponsored links:

• Yann897 said:
    Bishop and Hylton both gone to Slovenia.
    I literally thought you meant they'd signed for a club in Slovenia. I am the anti-itk.
    Only if they share George Dobson's agent
  • Hylton the new Andy Hughes?
    You could be right but I don’t quite feel it’s the same. Hughes still had a decent amount to offer as a player on top of the other stuff, can’t see it’s the same as Hylton. Nonetheless, doubt it will have a detrimental effect on our season so not a big deal. 
    Agreed, Hughes was only 33 when he joined, and was a utility player still playing at a decent level, rather than someone on the verge of retirement.
  • Hylton would be a good shout to join as player coach. He obviously gets on well with NJ, yes he's 35, but could still do a job if called on, but more importantly can coach our young strikers to become better in all aspects of the game.
    Not sure on Bishop, but I liked what I saw on Saturday, albeit only 45 mins, but again he could do a job off the bench. If NJ signs both of them, I think he'll go out for a proven ACM, and another experienced CB and GK.

•  Hylton would make 6 first team forwards? That's an incredible amount for a club these days even if you are playing two up top.
  • agim said:

Hylton would make 6 first team forwards? That's an incredible amount for a club these days even if you are playing two up top.
    On the face of it yes, but Chuks can't really be counted as he is never going to start a game and Hylton coming in more of a coaching capacity and adding a small amount of cover in the cups/drastic injury crisis. Doesn't feel like overkill.
  • I would be surprised if Hylton does not earn a contract, possibly player/ coach to work with the young forwards, including the ones coming through. Bishop we will know at end of week. No I am not ITK, just common sense
  • Agree with other posters that the keeper might have to be a late loan. I was enthused By Davies or Ruddy. 
    I would like someone who is a cut above our current three keepers.
  • I think adding Hylton makes sense now I've seen NJs comments about it. If it's essentially a coach role but he's also registered as a player if we need him then it makes a lot of sense. We aren't going to be able to rely on Chuks even with the best efforts of the medical department and Leaburn is going to need to be carefully managed too. So the odd BSM Trophy, League Cup sub appearance here and there seems absolutely fine to me , good player for Kanu,Casey and Mbick to learn a few of the dark arts of centre forward play from too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    I think adding Hylton makes sense now I've seen NJs comments about it. If it's essentially a coach role but he's also registered as a player if we need him then it makes a lot of sense. We aren't going to be able to rely on Chuks even with the best efforts of the medical department and Leaburn is going to need to be carefully managed too. So the odd BSM Trophy, League Cup sub appearance here and there seems absolutely fine to me , good player for Kanu,Casey and Mbick to learn a few of the dark arts of centre forward play from too. 
    I remember watching Ian Wright play for West Ham against us around 98/99. At the start of the game Wright was constantly at Rufus, even pinching the back of his legs. Pretty sure Rufus scored an own goal early on, although we went on to win the game. 

No issue with Hylton in a coach/mentor role, whilst making it clear what standards need to be kept.
  • Walton, Begovic or someone like Daniel Iversen on loan would be decent.
  • Darren Randolph still available.

No idea if he's still up to it these days. 
  • Darren Randolph still available.

No idea if he's still up to it these days. 
    Hardly played for years. I rated him massively in his younger days but not sure he would be up to it.
  • cafc_se7 said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Les to believe Hylton is working towards his A license so could contribute on the coaching side. He's also a cheap and experienced option in leaburn and chuks' inevitable absence. Lots to teach our younger forwards and is a bit of a shit house, something we've lacked in previous seasons. I'm all for it tbh.
    Most of my mates are Luton fans and I can confirm Hylton is a big time shit house and the fans love him for it. Massive WUM.
    Even if he's unlikely to actually score, having a shithouse who will waste time, wind defenders (and oppo fans) up and generally run the clock down is a useful tool to have. Think of Kermorgant winding up the MK defender so successfully the guy ended up sent off, or Tony Watt and his infamous stepover routine on the touchline.

I'm not remotely expecting Hylton to be as good overall as those two but if he can teach the dark arts to the likes of Leaburn and Kanu then it could be worth a few points by season's end.
  • Can Hylton actually coach?

In terms of squad balance, rather than a 6th striker, I'd rather have another goal scoring midfielder who can play as a 10 or wide attacker, so we have the option of a front 3. Ahadme looks well suited for the lone striker role.
  • Can Hylton actually coach?

In terms of squad balance, rather than a 6th striker, I'd rather have another goal scoring midfielder who can play as a 10 or wide attacker, so we have the option of a front 3. Ahadme looks well suited for the lone striker role.
    Doing his Pro A licence so I’m sure he’s no novice.
  • I would rather see youth players such as Mbick and Casey used ahead of Hylton.

The guy is 35 and was playing League Two football two seasons ago.

If he joins it will be a coaching role.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!