Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Well one things Jones is known for is switching formations a lot sometimes multiples time in one match. Luton fans seemed to praise his tactical flexibility based on the opposition but at Southampton, everyone was complaining about confusing the squad by removing any consistency.  So expect a 352, 433 and a 442 Diamond at various times. He wants his midfielders/wingbacks to press aggressively so quite a bit different than Appletons approach of sitting back and keeping defensive shape/limiting open space.  So stylistically we certainly are going to be quite different. Don’t think we have the talent in a few key positions to be anything but mid table but hopefully we can get some breathing room from the relegation zone.
  • ross1 said:
    Paul Hart and Chris Cohen could be coming in with Jones says Cawley
    Cohen just taken a job at Lincoln 
  • ross1 said:
    Paul Hart and Chris Cohen could be coming in with Jones says Cawley
    Cohen just taken a job at Lincoln 
    Very very possible there could be a release clause in his contract...
  • edited February 2
    Uboat said:
    I’m trying to figure out where the kick in the bollocks is coming from. This is Charlton. We can’t have something nice without that.
    We’ve appointed the wrong Nathan Jones. 

Doesn't look like he would have too much trouble controlling the dressing room...🙄
  • Delivery truck at Sparrows Lane. Not sure what it means. Salvation?
    More likely crucifixion. 
    Jesus saves but Alfie gets the rebound!
  • Sponsored links:

• Good appointment to be fair. Was hoping you’d end up with Holloway lol
    42 lols not out! For a millwall supporter!!!

shame on you Charlton fans

when I said I wanted Holloway to get the millwall job on the millwall thread, I got a very low number of lols.

thats me done, I'm off to sign up for ITTV 😂👋🏻
    The first rule of Charlton Life is: you do not talk about ITTV. The second rule of Charlton Life is: you DO NOT talk about ITTV!
  • We’re talking as though jones has signed the contract he changed his mind last moment with Rotherham. 
  • Good appointment to be fair. Was hoping you’d end up with Holloway lol
    42 lols not out! For a millwall supporter!!!

shame on you Charlton fans

when I said I wanted Holloway to get the millwall job on the millwall thread, I got a very low number of lols.

thats me done, I'm off to sign up for ITTV 😂👋🏻
    What makes you think he's Millwall? 
  • edited February 2
    It was less than 2 years ago (end of the 21-22 season) that Jones was voted manager of the year for the Championship. His last job, whilst admittedly a disaster, was in the Premier league.

So that should tell all of us it's quite a coup for a league one side to get him.
    No problem. When he gets us to the PL in a couple of years, we can always look to replace him with an established PL manager. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    If it all goes wrong then Friedman and Brener are responsible. If it all goes well then Friedman and Brener can take the credit.
    Not Leneghan, Warrick, Rodwell, Scott, Methven or any of the others hitherto destroying our club because of dreadful footballing non achievement.
    Now Friedman and Brener have the job of persuading our dwindling and disillusioned support to buy season tickets.
    As well as survival this season, what would persuade me would be a new contract for George Dobson.
    That’s the spirit.
  • DubaiCAFC said:

Intent is to get it done today.

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) February 2, 2024
    Will give everyone a boast ahead of tomorrows game.. 

He won't be in the dugout as far as I know.. He will start in the role officially on Monday.
    Let’s hope his directors box seat is facing away from the pitch.
  • CafcWest said:
    If it is going to be Jones ()hopefully) I wish they would just announce it!  Wasting my life on Twitter and here!!
    Although...it might be nice to announce him just before kick-off or half-time tomorrow - he can actually be there!  I wonder if he plays guitar....?
  •  DubaiCAFC said:

Intent is to get it done today.

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) February 2, 2024
    Will give everyone a boast ahead of tomorrows game.. 

He won't be in the dugout as far as I know.. He will start in the role officially on Monday.
    Yeah, you’re always boasting about being ITK;)
  • seth plum said:
    My first considered awareness of Nathan Jones was when he indeed (people doubted me when I mentioned this previously) was assistant to Chris Powell for an evening 0-0 Brighton away game in 2013.
    Hamer had a blinder, and we might have even won it near the end when Dale Stephens had his rocket shot saved. Stephens came on for Lawrie Wilson with about a quarter of an hour to go when essentially our set up had drawn Brighton's sting. Brighton had a very strong side and we were expected to lose.
    I remember the Nathan Jones angle because after the game on the Brighton Forum 'The Big Board', in the post match when many of their supporters bemoaned only getting a draw, and being far better than us, there was one poster (I can't find it in the Big Board search box, wish I could) who wrote a brilliant analysis of the game. He was particularly generous about how we played, and the artfulness we had shown negating the Brighton threat, and staying a bit of a threat ourselves. It was very detailed and pointed out how well coached and prepared we were.
    For some reason Nathan Jones and Dale Stephens both joined Brighton subsequently.
    Because of that, whenever Nathan Jones has been discussed anywhere, I find myself thinking that in football terms he isn't a mug.
    If he becomes our manager, on the face of it it seems like a major step up from Appleton, and probably Garner and Holden too, so that is a positive.
    For what it's worth I wish Nathan Jones the very best, and want him to be a winner.
    Wasn't he coaching the u21s not the first team?!
  • seth plum said:
    My first considered awareness of Nathan Jones was when he indeed (people doubted me when I mentioned this previously) was assistant to Chris Powell for an evening 0-0 Brighton away game in 2013.
    Hamer had a blinder, and we might have even won it near the end when Dale Stephens had his rocket shot saved. Stephens came on for Lawrie Wilson with about a quarter of an hour to go when essentially our set up had drawn Brighton's sting. Brighton had a very strong side and we were expected to lose.
    I remember the Nathan Jones angle because after the game on the Brighton Forum 'The Big Board', in the post match when many of their supporters bemoaned only getting a draw, and being far better than us, there was one poster (I can't find it in the Big Board search box, wish I could) who wrote a brilliant analysis of the game. He was particularly generous about how we played, and the artfulness we had shown negating the Brighton threat, and staying a bit of a threat ourselves. It was very detailed and pointed out how well coached and prepared we were.
    For some reason Nathan Jones and Dale Stephens both joined Brighton subsequently.
    Because of that, whenever Nathan Jones has been discussed anywhere, I find myself thinking that in football terms he isn't a mug.
    If he becomes our manager, on the face of it it seems like a major step up from Appleton, and probably Garner and Holden too, so that is a positive.
    For what it's worth I wish Nathan Jones the very best, and want him to be a winner.
    He was slated as doing so, but I believe for that Brighton game, and maybe some others, he was fully involved with Powell.
    I am ready to be corrected, and I really wish i could lay my hands on that Brighton Supporters write up where I am pretty sure he credited Nathan Jones and Chris Powell by name.
  • Gribbo said:
    I’m trying to figure out where the kick in the bollocks is coming from. This is Charlton. We can’t have something nice without that.
    Charlton are pleased to announce Lee Johnson as their next Manager.

We were sorry to have talks breakdown between ourselves and Nathan Jones, over a demand for an extra 50p in Wages

We look forward to the next chapter in the clubs history

www.cafc.co.uk/lee-johnson-appointed-manager
    Tony Keown new sponge man
    Don’t even joke!
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    He was slated as doing so, but I believe for that Brighton game, and maybe some others, he was fully involved with Powell.
    I am ready to be corrected, and I really wish i could lay my hands on that Brighton Supporters write up where I am pretty sure he credited Nathan Jones and Chris Powell by name.
    So you think he's good because a Brighton fan thinks he might have helped us once to get a 0-0 draw?