Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Bailey said:

Possibly the most interesting part of this whole piece. If true, it shows that maybe we are more than a casual investment to these people.

Duchatelet was completely hands off. Sandgaard was like an octopus.
     Maybe we've finally found some balance ?
    Glad you picked up on this Carly, I actually read it as 'look at the mess you lot made appointing the last two, give it here' ! 
    I took this as a positive.

Not because they picked Jones or that they undermined Methven but because they appeared to be committed enough to the project to get involved.

It was always a worry to me that they might be disinterested venture capitalists only worried about their ROI but this suggests that maybe it is more than that.

Rodwell said that it was a passion project (stop sniggering at the back, you boys) for them and this intervention points in the same direction.

We've seen with Duchatelet and Sandgaard that direct owner involvement isn't always a good thing but neither is indifference to anything but the bottom line.

It could be that it was the bottom line that also prompted them to give their opinions/influence the decision but it feels at this distance a bit more.

It does also feel like a shot across the bows of Scott as technical director, although he wanted Jones we're told, and Methven who has said he was the conduit between the US owners and the UK directors.

Simon Lenegan's role as sporting director for GFP seems to be growing too.

His name has been coming up a lot more in recent days. One to watch.

Unless an owner plans on asset striping a club, they aren't interested in a ROI. Even the majority of Premier League clubs operate at a loss, so I can't imagine that was ever an intention of this ownership group.

But agree that them getting involved and using the weight of their money behind decisions is a good sign.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

ALL sides  ?  How many are there ? Surely there are just 2 - CAFC and Jones.

BOTH sides would be more apt / grammatical. 
    YES his terms might be that Scott has to leave before he becomes the Manager 
    why are people now obsessed with Scott .. been said he has no influence on the playing side his job is solely recruitment like Steve Gallen … and CM has no say in the day to day running of the club .. again been said to many times yet people still go on and on 

So why did CM approach Steve Sutherland to come back to the club if he has no say in the day to day running?
    CM has never shied away from saying he is involved with the commercial side of the club.. hence the appointment of Steve Sutherland 
    I was responding to the claim that CM has no involvement 
    Who said he isn’t involved.. 
  • In this interview Gavin Carter also reiterated that “they are owners not investors” meaning they are taking a proactive interest. For me this was a bit of a shift in emphasis from the time of the takeover. 

plural noun: investors
    1. a person or organization that puts money into financial schemes, property, etc. with the expectation of achieving a profit.

They're just being honest, they know there's no profit from this money pit
  • Jints said:
    "You can spend the rest of your career explaining what went wrong, persuading and cajoling, carrying the baggage of Southampton around with you like a cross. Or you can smash it to pieces, burn the whole thing down and start afresh.

I think I know which option you’ll choose."
  • Sponsored links:

• Bailey said:

Possibly the most interesting part of this whole piece. If true, it shows that maybe we are more than a casual investment to these people.

Duchatelet was completely hands off. Sandgaard was like an octopus.
     Maybe we've finally found some balance ?
    Glad you picked up on this Carly, I actually read it as 'look at the mess you lot made appointing the last two, give it here' ! 
    Could this intervention by Brener and Friedman be at the request of Charlie Methven. If of course Scott has been the main man behind the appointments of Holden and Appleton, it could be that Methven hadn’t been in full alignment with Scott or perhaps have the authority to overrule or question him on football matters. None of us despite the rumours know the real dynamics of the SMT and as a shareholder and conduit between the club and investors I can see Methven both covering his own back and protecting his percentage of the project. 
  • MarcusH26 said:

No, Jones, Club, and Scotty!
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

why are people now obsessed with Scott .. been said he has no influence on the playing side his job is solely recruitment like Steve Gallen … and CM has no say in the day to day running of the club .. again been said to many times yet people still go on and on 

So why did CM approach Steve Sutherland to come back to the club if he has no say in the day to day running?
    CM has never shied away from saying he is involved with the commercial side of the club.. hence the appointment of Steve Sutherland 
    Our old friend Ronnie Moore, as usual!!
    Here's his post from yesterday - "why are people now obsessed with Scott .. been said he has no influence on the playing side his job is solely recruitment like Steve Gallen … and CM has no say in the day to day running of the club .. again been said to many times yet people still go on and on 

• I wonder if he’s said get me Gayle too
    I watched him last Friday night for Stoke U21's against West Ham and he was absolutely guff

Ran around a bit and made a nuisance of himself but didn't look at all threatening and seemed desperate to get himself at least a yellow card.  In fact I didn't know it was him until I wrote up my report later that evening.  Maybe it was just a bad night at the office

West Ham won 3-1 and have some pretty decent players tbf

• edited February 2
    DubaiCAFC said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Our old friend Ronnie Moore, as usual!!
    Here's his post from yesterday - "why are people now obsessed with Scott .. been said he has no influence on the playing side his job is solely recruitment like Steve Gallen … and CM has no say in the day to day running of the club .. again been said to many times yet people still go on and on 
    Well kinda true.. As he isn't based at the club unlike Rodwell and Scott, they are running the club day to day. Any major decision is made by the whole group, so he would be involved.
  • edited February 2

Cawley saying Paul Hart could be back as part of NJs backroom team. Think someone mentioned Chris Cohen had recently gone to Lincoln? 
  • MarcusH26 said:

Cawley saying Paul Hart could be back as part of NJs backroom team. Think someone mentioned Chris Cohen had recently gone to Lincoln? 
    Yeah, he joined Lincoln on the 14th January 
  • Swisdom said:

I wonder if he’s said get me Gayle too
    I watched him last Friday night for Stoke U21's against West Ham and he was absolutely guff

Ran around a bit and made a nuisance of himself but didn't look at all threatening and seemed desperate to get himself at least a yellow card.  In fact I didn't know it was him until I wrote up my report later that evening.  Maybe it was just a bad night at the office

He couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo - been absolutely useless at Stoke.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    Swisdom said:

I wonder if he’s said get me Gayle too

He couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo - been absolutely useless at Stoke.
    He scored 23 goals in 39 appearances for them two seasons ago, and then has gone off the boil for them since.

Sounds very much like a championship version of Cole Stockton.
  • edited February 2
    Hart was assistant to Jones at Luton. Cohen was first team coach. 
  • In this interview Gavin Carter also reiterated that “they are owners not investors” meaning they are taking a proactive interest. For me this was a bit of a shift in emphasis from the time of the takeover. 

Im 100% sure there has been a shift in emphasis mate. They have paid £12m for the club, are funding the ongoing losses. No mater how wealthy you are that will make you pay attention lol. Things are obviously not going as planned so that means they will think "hold on we had better have a look at this" lol
  • If it all goes wrong then Friedman and Brener are responsible. If it all goes well then Friedman and Brener can take the credit.
    Not Leneghan, Warrick, Rodwell, Scott, Methven or any of the others hitherto destroying our club because of dreadful footballing non achievement.
    Now Friedman and Brener have the job of persuading our dwindling and disillusioned support to buy season tickets.
    As well as survival this season, what would persuade me would be a new contract for George Dobson.
  • Wonder if the Backroom Staff is the last thing to be sorted, and we'll see Jones / Hart or whoever announced at the same time
  • mendonca said:
    The more I read about Nathan Jones's persona, the more I slightly worry! 

If he comes in, he/we will need to start off well else it could get ugly.
    It's a great appointment but I do worry what will happen if we start poorly. The ideal time to have got him would have been the start of a summer window. I think as fans we just have to give him time even if things don't get immediately better, with the aim being to do anything to stay up and then go again next season