Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• edited February 2
    mendonca said:
    The more I read about Nathan Jones's persona, the more I slightly worry! 

If he comes in, he/we will need to start off well else it could get ugly.
    I think we should be realistic and expect to start poorly under him

February is a tough month, Reading and Lincoln are the games where we should truly expect to see positive results - Derby (He wont be in charge of anyway) | Bolton | Portsmouth | Derby, I'll be happy if we can get anything - Never know of course, could see a turn of form to when Bowyer came in, remember us having a similar attitude against Plymouth and Rotherham when he took charge
  • edited February 2
    bobmunro said:
    Swisdom said:

I wonder if he’s said get me Gayle too
    I watched him last Friday night for Stoke U21's against West Ham and he was absolutely guff

Ran around a bit and made a nuisance of himself but didn't look at all threatening and seemed desperate to get himself at least a yellow card.  In fact I didn't know it was him until I wrote up my report later that evening.  Maybe it was just a bad night at the office

West Ham won 3-1 and have some pretty decent players tbf

He couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo - been absolutely useless at Stoke.
    He scored 23 goals in 39 appearances for them two seasons ago, and then has gone off the boil for them since.

Sounds very much like a championship version of Cole Stockton.
    That 23 goal season was actually 6 years ago when he was on loan at West Brom. He really hasn't done anything for years and feels like he is on the way out (34 now and a player who always relied on pace), I would avoid unless we have no other option i.e May gets injured.
  • Last time we had a manager in the stands waiting to start we beat Brighton so derby should be know problem
  • mendonca said:
    The more I read about Nathan Jones's persona, the more I slightly worry! 

If he comes in, he/we will need to start off well else it could get ugly.
    I honestly think that would be the case with anyone though, whatever persona you have.
  • Jones is inheriting a similar situation to the one Powell did in 2011. A mixed playing squad, largely full of players he may not want to keep around for next season and maybe can’t play the way he’ll want them too. Let’s be patient and not get on his back. The rest of this season is a free hit. Keep
    us up, build for next season. 
    exactly this
  • Apparently his wife has the final say. Him and Mrs Jones, they've got a thing going on.
    Are they meeting today at the same cafe?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2
    I wonder if he'll be able to bring in his own backroom staff.
    Is it The Father, Son and The Holy Ghost ??

And a few months later they will take the last train to the coast (proper Charlton 😃)
  • I wonder if he'll be able to bring in his own backroom staff.
    Is it The Father, Son and The Holy Ghost ??

And a few months later they will take the last train to the coast (proper Charlton 😃)

Hopefully, we could do with some divine intervention...🤷‍♂️
  • Good appointment to be fair. Was hoping you’d end up with Holloway lol
    It is a great appointment. I was expecting Gareth Ainsworth.
  • Jones is inheriting a similar situation to the one Powell did in 2011. A mixed playing squad, largely full of players he may not want to keep around for next season and maybe can’t play the way he’ll want them too. Let’s be patient and not get on his back. The rest of this season is a free hit. Keep
    Except we were in the play-off positions when SCP took over not hovering precariously above the relegation places so not quite a free hit for the rest of the season - needs to get us out of the relegation mire PDQ.
  • Other then maybe the likes of Fraeye all Charlton managers have had support of the fans early, even Appleton was very briefly having his name sung by the Covered End. 

We will need a new manager bounce though as a poor start could easily see us heading down to the fourth tier which even if the new team in the dugout was Curbs, Powell & Jackson would struggle to keep any but the rosiest glassed fans happy. 
  • edited February 2
    The support base not on forums, you’d imagine, will be very excited by this. Overall feeling on this thread seems positive too. It’s punchy for L1, on paper. 

I’m concerned that way back in this thread @bobmunro was a firm no, and given the position he held - he would know. (Apologies, Bob if I’ve misinterpreted). 

I will retain an open mind, we need some stability and a properly supported manager. I really hope this is it with jones. Sensible to keep him out for Derby. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Morning odds…

- Nathan Jones 6/4
    - Nigel Pearson 3/1
    - Neil Warnock 4/1
    - Michael Duff 5/1
    - John Eustace 5/1
    - Mark Bonner 10/1
    - Gareth Ainsworth 14/1
    - 16/1 bar
    27th January morning update…

- Nathan Jones 1/2
    - Alex Neil 7/2
    - Neil Warnock 6/1
    - Michael Duff 6/1
    - Nigel Pearson 8/1
    - John Eustace 10/1
    - 20/1 bar
    28th January update…

- Nathan Jones 2/1
    - Mark Warburton 2/1
    - Gary Rowett 4/1
    - Alex Neil 6/1
    - Michael Duff 8/1
    - Neil Warnock 8/1
    - Nigel Pearson 10/1
    - John Eustace 12/1
    - 20/1 bar
    29th January update, unchanged from 24 hours ago
    30th January…

- Nathan Jones 4/7
    - Mark Warburton 4/1
    - Gary Rowett 4/1
    - Alex Neil 8/1
    - Neil Warnock 10/1
    - Michael Duff 10/1
    - Nigel Pearson 12/1
    - Darren Moore 14/1
    - 20/1 bar

31st January

- Nathan Jones EVS
    - Gary Rowett 2/1
    - Mark Warburton 5/1
    - Alex Neil 10/1
    - Michael Duff 12/1
    - Neil Warnock 12/1
    - Nigel Pearson 14/1
    - Darren Moore 16/1
    - 20/1 bar
    1st Feb

- Nathan Jones 6/4
    - Neil Warnock 2/1
    - Gary Rowett 5/1
    - Mark Warburton 8/1
    - Alex Neil 12/1
    - Nigel Pearson 16/1
    - Darren Moore 20/1
    - Michael Duff 20/1
    - 25/1 bar
    2nd Feb

- Nathan Jones 1/12
    - Neil Warnock 10/1
    - Gary Rowett 16/1
    - Mark Warburton 20/1
    - Alex Neil 25/1
    - 33/1 bar
    Bar’s on every list but never gets the job, I certainly wouldn’t bet on him/her. 
    Could be worth a punt when you need something to lean on...🙄
  • Jints said:
    I read that and thought he sounds like one of those crazy holier than thou ultra religious types who have absolutely no idea what makes people who aren't religious tick, largely because they themselves believe in a 2000 year old book of fairy stories. 

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?!
  • Gribbo said:
    Why is Jones considered as mad as a box of frogs and a lunatic?
    Because he’s considering the Charlton job?
    Talal said:
    Gribbo said:
    Appears to have agreed to manage Charlton Athletic. 
    Gribbo said:
    Cos he's in advanced talks with Charlton.
    Great minds think alike. 
  • edited February 2
    Jones is inheriting a similar situation to the one Powell did in 2011. A mixed playing squad, largely full of players he may not want to keep around for next season and maybe can’t play the way he’ll want them too. Let’s be patient and not get on his back. The rest of this season is a free hit. Keep
    Absolutely spot on, he needs full backing for the rest of this season and into next….no way on earth were we gonna attract anyone better than him 

added bonus that he’s been in and around our academy before 
  • Its not his fault  but we don't have the luxury for him  to struggle in the way Powell did until he got his own players in though. 

Jones will have to turn the current squad around to secure us staying up. 
    Absolutely spot on, he needs full backing for the rest of this season and into next….no way on earth were we gonna attract anyone better than him 

added bonus that he’s been in and around our academy before 
    Think this is a huge plus.
  • I'll call it the right manager but wrong time.

We're severely in the brown stuff and am not sure he is a Warnock type to grab people by the scruff of the neck.

I can see us going down then it will be interesting to see how things develop.  I reckon he'll have a clause reading left by mutual consent should we drop.
  • ValleyBen said:
    Its not his fault  but we don't have the luxury for him  to struggle in the way Powell did until he got his own players in though. 

Jones will have to turn the current squad around to secure us staying up. 
    That squad that Powell took over was awful and how we’re lower in the league now I have no idea. Has to be down to management or the league was shocking back then.
  • Off_it said:
    Jints said:
    I read that and thought he sounds like one of those crazy holier than thou ultra religious types who have absolutely no idea what makes people who aren't religious tick, largely because they themselves believe in a 2000 year old book of fairy stories. 

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?!
    Amen Brother 
  • Deep down I don't really fear we are getting relegated but we do need Jones to have at the very least an average start to his time here. 

Hopefully Fleming hands things over with an additional three points on the board though.