Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

edited February 4 in General Charlton
Michael Duff, Nathan Jones and John Eustace must be the front runners. 

Comments

• Options
    Be very surprised if we appoint someone who’s currently employed by a club. 

Duff is probably the best name available at the moment. Similar to Darren Moore back in September. 

• Options
    Something about Nathan Jones that I'm really not too keen on. 

Duff, Eustace, Pearson, Powell, Bowyer.

Any of these would be decent appointments I think. 
    Unsurprisingly I agree.
    I'm not keen after he went somewhat wibble at Stoke.
  • Options
    Stan Butler
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Michael Duff has to be the front runner , experienced at this level and one bad stint at Swansea doesn't put me off. 

Unconvinced that Nathan Jones would drop down to League 1 and something about his stints anywhere that's not Luton worry me.

John Eustace probably the second favourite but I think he can easily get a championship job before the end of the season.

None of the other out of work names really interest me , likes of Pearson just feel like another journeyman move. 

Doubt Paul Heckingbottom would consider League 1 and his record outside of Sheffield United isn't the greatest.
  • Options
    edited January 22
    I expect the shortlist will be Michael Duff, Steve Cotterill and John Eustace, with the latter getting my vote if he can be persuaded. Again, we might have to settle for whoever will take it though!!
  • Options
    Does it matter ,he will be replaced very quickly no matter who it is.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 22
    Eustace or Rowett for me. 
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Apart from the names mentioned by OP - Gary Rowett, or lets see if we can find the next Kieran McKenna

Maybe Brian Barry-Murphy for example, played attractive Football with Rochdale, now Man City EDS Manager
  • Options
    Other names available include Gareth Ainsworth, Mark Bonner, Alex Neil, Mark Kennedy, Gary Rowett

Plus veterans like Neil Warnock and Mark Hughes

Ben Garner and Dean Holden are available too... 
  • Options
    Chris Powell. Can blend a team and has great man-management.
  • Options
    Other names available include Gareth Ainsworth, Mark Bonner, Alex Neil, Mark Kennedy, Gary Rowett

Alex Neil is another good shout. 
  • Options
    It’s all been downhill since it stopped being Redwing 
    Almost right. 

Been going down hill since Eddie Cecil stopped with Lewis Coaches.
  • Options
    edited January 22

Ainsworth or Bonner are good mentions - Forgot that the latter wasn't at Cambridge anymore

Will his "star" have waned a little bit though, with that sacking
  • Options
    edited January 22
  • Options
    Eustace and Duff. Amazing they both had 20yr careers over the same period and I can’t for the life of me remember either as a player 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need someone for right now to get us out of this predicament and one for the rebuild and push next season.
    I'm not entirely sure they will be the same person.
  • Options
    I'd be very happy with Michael Duff but I'd also be happy with John Eustace if he can be convinced to come down. Duff has shown he can perform at a very high level in L1 with both a very under-resourced club and one like Barnsley who pull the purse strings tighter than they need to. Eustace plays a pretty safe, tight style and I really wouldn't hate having a Charlton team that doesn't concede goal after goal for a bit. The new manager has to be happy playing a 352 and Duff has done very well out of that in his career so far. Surely he'd look at us and see a frontline where he can have Ladapo alongside May instead of Taylor Perry and see a lot of opportunity. Though he may also see Isted and Tedic on our appearance list and feel like he's been there and done that already. 
  • Options
    Rowett for me has proved he can organise and get more than the sum of the parts out of a squad. Got criticised for negative football but got within one bizarre result of a playoff lottery of getting Millwall into the Premier League. Millwall although well run probably had one of the lowest budgets in The Championship. He had them competing with the top teams and of course got them promoted out of our league. Charltons only priority is to get out of League One. I’d take some boring 1 - 0 wins over what we’ve had in a heartbeat. 
  • Options
    Has anyone done "Curbs 14-1" yet?
  • Options
    I reckon it'll be someone with a league one promotion on their record personally. They won't risk what happened with the last 2 imo. 
  • Options
    Eustace and Duff. Amazing they both had 20yr careers over the same period and I can’t for the life of me remember either as a player 
    You clearly didn't play enough Championship Manager then. Two absolute gems around the 2001/02 era
  • Options
    Rowett told Millwall he wanted to move home so doubt it’ll be him

id like to see euell get it but who ever it is, they need to be able to bring in their own number two at a minimum imho

knowing us it’ll be some random Doris 
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Can’t even go and get the Cowleys anymore.

In all seriousness, something about Duff makes me very nervous. I’d have loved him before he went to Barnsley but the way he dropped them for Swansea only to get sacked after a couple of months is concerning.
  • Options
    Can’t even go and get the Cowleys anymore.

In all seriousness, something about Duff makes me very nervous. I’d have loved him before he went to Barnsley but the way he dropped them for Swansea only to get sacked after a couple of months is concerning.
    Best duff man GIFs - Primo GIF - Latest Animated GIFs