Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Rothko said:
    He won't be offered that job too often and I reckon if offered it now he'd find it very hard to resist. Will be able to go back home and manage in the Championship too.
    His family live on the south coast, not exactly going home
    Ok, back to his roots then.
  • Gribbo said:
    shirty5 said:
    Interview with Jones in the latest issue of Four Four Two
    Did he say anything in terms of stuff?
    In terms of being front footed and in terms of stuff and things? 
  • Hmmm, I don't think he'll be offered it, but read it as not a definite no if offered
  • Addick_8 said:
    Gribbo said:
    shirty5 said:
    Interview with Jones in the latest issue of Four Four Two
    Did he say anything in terms of stuff?
    Yeh, he said something about how it's a boyhood dream of his to manage Cardiff and it's a dream come true and I can't wait to get started. Something like that anyway, only skimmed through.
    So nothing in terms of stuff?
  • Schumacher the obvious choice for Cardiff surely
  • edited September 26
    Hmmm, I don't think he'll be offered it, but read it as not a definite no if offered
    Cardiff fans all over it calling it a “come and get me” from NJ.

Haven’t had a chance to read or hear the comments to make my own judgement.
  • It didn’t sound like a come and get me, he’s obviously a Cardiff lad, but doesn’t mean they’ll even approach, best guess it’ll be someone who’s lost their job recently 
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    Hmmm, I don't think he'll be offered it, but read it as not a definite no if offered

Sounded to like he said he would love to one day but not at the moment
    He’s hardly going to say yes I want the job now, come and get me.

For what it’s worth though I don’t think he’ll be off anytime soon, thankfully.
  • The new Charlton Manager will be the same as the old one...he ain't going anywhere...🤷‍♂️
  • The new Charlton Manager will be the same as the old one...he ain't going anywhere...🤷‍♂️
    It won’t be long before a few of our base will be crying out for him to go to Cardiff and bring back Jackie, SCP or Bows ! Oh and ofcourse Curbs 16/1 😂 
  • Reading that I reckon he would leave if offered the Cardiff job.  He openly says he wants to manage there one day. How many offers will he realistically get.
    That said, I don't think they will go for him given requirement for compensation and that he has failed at a couple of places.
  • Wouldn't bet against it in our bizarre convoluted painfully soap operatic storyline.
  • So, nothing new. If Cardiff pay comp and approach, he's more than likely gone (100% imo), if they don't, he stays put. 

If it’s that simple (and I don’t disagree) surely there’s a little bit of value in Jones at 12/1 for the job.

Unlikely that Cardiff pay but surely a better than 10% chance of that.
  • So, nothing new. If Cardiff pay comp and approach, he's more than likely gone (100% imo), if they don't, he stays put. 

Balance of probability is that they won't. Currently I don't think Jones' stock is high enough that Cardiff would be so keen as to pay all the compensation etc and take the extra time when there's the likes of Schumacher out of work already.

• AndyG said:

Sounded to like he said he would love to one day but not at the moment
    …but if ‘one day’ was tomorrow he’d be off. 
  • Sponsored links:

If that is the case and he would 100% go, I find that quite concerning, even if they are his boyhood club. 
  • I imagine he’ll get other opportunities to manage Cardiff. He probably won’t be here this time next year and as with most clubs, the manager turnover is quite high.
  • edited September 27
    TelMc32 said:
    Cardiff have had 8 managers in 5 years. I’m sure Jones will get plenty of opportunities to manage there in the future. 
    At present under the current ownership, Cardiff is a poisoned chalice. Tan has apparently lost interest if you listen to the Cardiff supporters and things are done that suits him and not either the team and certainly not the manager. Jones would be a complete mug to jeopardise his career and leave Charlton for what increasingly looks like a basket case club. Mess up there in what would be quite challenging conditions and his CV is starting to look extremely questionable. I’m certain he’s going nowhere.
  • He's young and he'll have plenty of opportunity to manage them in the future with the state of football and the way managers come and go.
  • He's young and he'll have plenty of opportunity to manage them in the future with the state of football and the way managers come and go.
    100%. His failures at Stoke and Southampton have for now scuppered a “big” job. He’s got to rebuild his reputation and at Charlton he’s got a very good opportunity. Seems like he has autonomy and authority to do what he wants and has also seemingly good owners supporting him. He won’t find many jobs with that and certainly not Cardiff under Tan. At his age, Jones has to be aiming at eventually managing in The Premier League. In rebuilding his career, Cardiff at this point would be an enormous risk. 
  • Same story, same quotes, written up two ways... 

Nathan Jones commits future to Charlton Athletic amid Cardiff rumours 

Charlton Athletic manager Nathan Jones has quashed any speculation about a potential switch to Cardiff City, reaffirming his commitment to the Addicks in the face of swirling rumours.

Amid Cardiff’s search for a new boss following Erol Bulut’s sacking, Jones has emerged as one of the favourites in the betting odds. However, despite being flattered by the connection to his hometown club, the Welshman made it clear that his current focus is on building something special at Charlton.

“When this kind of stuff comes up, I’m very flattered to be linked with that,” Jones told the *South London Press*. “One day – I’ve made no secret and been totally open – I would like to manage Cardiff. But, right now, I have got a fantastic job and I’m at a wonderful club where I’m really, really looking to build something.”

Jones has been backed by Charlton's hierarchy, who handed him a long-term contract in February. He has been given full control over the club’s transfer strategy and backroom staff appointments, which has only strengthened his resolve to lead Charlton’s revival.

“I’ve asked a lot of people to buy into that,” he continued. “I love my job here and the people I work with. I took this job for a certain reason – because I believe we can build something special.”

Laughing off rumours of any direct contact with Cardiff, Jones emphasized: “There is nothing really to worry about. I’ve got a wonderful job here and I’m thoroughly enjoying the project we are building.”

For Charlton fans, this is music to their ears. Jones’ passion for the club, coupled with his vision for long-term success, suggests that he has no intention of walking away from The Valley anytime soon. As he confidently put it: “There is nothing to say really” – because his future lies firmly with Charlton Athletic.

---

Nathan Jones poised for Cardiff move despite Charlton job 

Charlton Athletic fans may be in for a shock, as manager Nathan Jones has dropped several major hints about a possible exit to take the reins at his beloved Cardiff City.

With Cardiff City parting ways with Erol Bulut after a disastrous start to the season, the Welsh club has quickly turned to Jones as a top candidate for their next boss. And Jones, a lifelong Cardiff supporter, has not been shy about his feelings towards managing the Bluebirds.

“I would never turn down Cardiff,” Jones has openly admitted in the past, and in his latest comments, the Charlton boss reaffirmed his deep connection to his hometown club: “I’ve made no secret and been totally open – I would like to manage Cardiff. It is my home town club – my dad lives close.”

Although Jones currently holds a position at Charlton, his comments have raised eyebrows about his intentions. When asked about any contact from Cardiff, Jones laughed, offering a cryptic response: “If I had, I’m not going to suddenly turn around and say it here, am I!”

Such a remark has left many wondering whether discussions are already in place behind the scenes. Jones made it clear that he loves the idea of managing Cardiff, saying, “One day I really, really would love to manage the football club.”

While Jones also mentioned his satisfaction with his role at Charlton, the lure of Cardiff seems too strong to ignore. His childhood memories of working on the turnstiles and watching matches at Ninian Park have fueled a lifelong passion for the Bluebirds, and with the managerial position now vacant, this could be the perfect time for Jones to make his dream a reality.

As one insider put it, “There is significant compensation which would need to be paid by any club wanting to procure the services of Nathan Jones.” But for a man with such deep ties to Cardiff, it’s becoming increasingly clear: his heart may already be back in Wales.

Jones' comments suggest that his time at Charlton could be coming to an end sooner than expected, and Cardiff fans could soon be welcoming him home.
  • Sounds like someone who supports Cardiff and is simply being polite about the role.