Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• we we have our best manager for years surely everyone can see the defensive improvements a board that seems to be supportive and there are some being negative saying that he needs to go. Just fing such sentiments unbelievable 
  • NabySarr said:
    I'm sure Jackson has improved in his time away but my god the football under him was bleak. One formation, one style no matter what. We saw more tactical variety from Jones against Blackpool than we saw the entire time Jackson was there. I watched more than half a season of Jaiyesimi at wingback and Clare at centre back and I will carry that trauma forever. And I say that as a certified Jackson apologist. I think the Oxford game at home broke my brain. Pretty sure it was Inniss, Clare and Purrington at CB, DJ at left wingback somehow, a midfield 3 of Dobson, Gilbey and Morgan and Elliot Lee and Jonathan Leko up front. Criminal.
    It was his first job, he took a poor squad from near the bottom 4 up to mid-table. He wasn’t ready then, but he is a lot more tactically versatile now and getting good results at Wimbledon. The Oxford game and that run of form we had no fit strikers, and as I said our squad was poor anyway, Pep Guardiola would have struggled to get results in that run of games 

The football isn’t great, but if we ever did need a Jones replacement because he got stolen, then continuing with similar would probably be a good idea considering we’ve built a squad for it. It won’t happen now because we’ve got Jones for the long term, but if it happens in years to come then Jackson could be the replacement if he continues to develop and gets a promotion under his belt 
    It was his first job but his total refusal to ever change anything was very scarring. We were short of strikers against Oxford but all the more reason to change things. Could have gone to a diamond and put Burstow and Leko up front, could have gone 433 with Burstow, Leko and DJ. At the very least he could have not had three centre backs on the bench while playing two full backs at centre back instead and a winger at WB. I'm sure he's better now, I don't follow Wimbledon to be honest, but like I say, scarred for life.
  • once again Chinese whispers are in full overdrive …. There no way Jones will leave a safe job like Charlton where he has full control to go to a risky job at Cardiff that he could be out of a job in 6 months time … he just started out on a 4 year project that he wants to be part of ..
  • Sponsored links:

• Jury is still out on Jones for me. Results have been generally pretty good under him (mostly very good this season plus mostly decent last season, especially when you consider the squads he has had to work with). Performances have been less good, but, so far, the end has justified the means. Supposedly he wanted all this summer's signings, but only a couple have, so far, impressed but also just because he wanted them doesn't mean they were his first choices or there weren't budgetary compromises he had to work within.

I think he still has some things to prove, but is also doing a generally good job. I'm not sure if anyone truly is saying he should be sacked, but if they are then that is a ridiculous to thing to be suggesting at this point.
  • fenaddick said:
    NJ has zero chance of managing in the Championship, after Stoke and Southampton he needs to prove he can manage a successful team and get them promoted.

I would not be surprised if things go sour we will sack him by Christmas 
    To be fair this post is where the sacking thing started, it's just got modified a bit as the thread goes on. Chinese whispers etc.
    Thanks Fen, I did explain my comments a couple of pages back 
  • NabySarr said:
    Nobody wants him gone. But that doesn't mean he should be beyond criticism if he does crazy things like dropping Mitchell.
    Had he said "I didn't like his attitude" or something similar, people would say fair enough.
    But to use the excuse that it was because he wanted us to play more football, that just makes no sense.
    He keeps saying that the better football will come, but there's no sign of that, it appears to be getting worse, not better.
    I think people just want him to see, what we are all seeing, no creativity whatsoever in midfield, and then do something to address that.
    Isn’t playing REG instead of Mitchell not an attempt to do exactly that. A defender with more quality on the ball so he can pass the ball into midfield rather than bypass them all the time like Mitchell does? It was a mistake and he’s admitted it, but it was clearly an attempt at us to get the ball on the floor more and play more football 
    I don't think the midfield not receiving enough of the ball is the problem, it's what they do with it that's the problem.
    The very reason we increasingly revert to the long ball as the game progresses, is because the midfield creates nothing.

• We have had a really good start to the season. Jones is hugely experienced and is not at all silly. He has stuck with Gas for his workrate but no doubt will be quietly disappointed with his goal return so far. 

I think Myles will make a lot of difference when he is back in the first team, he is just more imposing and think things will click a lot better up top when he is menacing opposition defences. Take your pick from Godden or TC to play off him when he is fully back. 

Like others I do think we are still lacking a bit of creativity in the midfield area, particularly if Berry no longer has the engine to do the hard press labour NJ expects from a 10. I am pretty sure A Campbell is box to box or a DM not a CAM, so perhaps NJ overestimated Campbell’s versatility, him dropping a division and all.

As for choices at the back etc. Not always going to get it right. Hindsight a great thing, but he was trying something a bit different, held his hands up afterwards and we lost by the odd goal.

I would expect NJ to get Champ interest over the coming months as the managerial merry go round kicks into full swing, but hopefully this project in SE7 will remain of interest to him and he can see the potential to take us all the way back to the Prem in 5 years or so. 

The man appears such a keg of emotion all the time, I actually think the only thing that will distract him or frustrate his interest is impatient booing fans etc. I heard some boos at HT vs Blackpool and assumed that was for the ref, but if the team, we seriously need to get a grip and do our bit. 

Full support for NJ. Top bloke and will steer us to better times. 

The team were dreadful in the first half, and deserved to be booed off. Jones himself was very unhappy with the first half performance.

• SDAddick said:
    I for one don't get everyone calling for him to be sacked. He's done a good job over the first few games. That said, a bad result on Saturday and I will change my tune to #JonesOut.
    Er, no one called for him to be sacked on this thread, let alone everyone. Don’t embarrass yourself and read the whole thread.
    It was a bit
  • Sponsored links:

• Ridiculous. We are 4th in the league and despite Saturday a lot more positive than for many years. 

Positive ?  Maybe defensively but attacking wise we are poor. We manage about half a dozen shots every game & lucky if 1 or 2 are on target. Only scored more than 1 goal once so far this season. 

Once the clocks go back we'll be lucky to be top 10. 
  • Ridiculous. We are 4th in the league and despite Saturday a lot more positive than for many years. 

Positive ?  Maybe defensively but attacking wise we are poor. We manage about half a dozen shots every game & lucky if 1 or 2 are on target. Only scored more than 1 goal once so far this season. 

Let’s see. I think that’s a strange assumption to make.

Which actually IS positive given that previously we were poor up front (basically if May had a good game or not decided if we won or lost) AND we were terrible defensively.

So yeah there is a long long way to go and much improvement needed but we are a better team (in terms of fitness, spirit, etc) than we were before.
  • I personally think that Nathan Jones will have to change this system to get success. I also believe that even if Alfie May were still in this side he would struggle to score goals as we are set up to defend not attack. Apart from the abject first half and strange team selection against Blackpool, the biggest worry for me in the second half was the lack of attacking nous, it simply consisted of lumping balls into the box, in the main from Gilliphrey, we looked more threatening when we we got Tyreece Campbell on the ball.As for Jones leaving the club for Cardiff, what makes anyone think Cardiff actually want him. 
  • Bailey said:
    I personally think that Nathan Jones will have to change this system to get success. I also believe that even if Alfie May were still in this side he would struggle to score goals as we are set up to defend not attack. Apart from the abject first half and strange team selection against Blackpool, the biggest worry for me in the second half was the lack of attacking nous, it simply consisted of lumping balls into the box, in the main from Gilliphrey, we looked more threatening when we we got Tyreece Campbell on the ball.As for Jones leaving the club for Cardiff, what makes anyone think Cardiff actually want him. 
    He’s second favourite, which is why I bumped the thread in the first place.

https://www.oddschecker.com/insight/football/20240922-next-cardiff-manager-odds-who-is-favourite-to-replace-erol-bulut

On this link he’s joint first with Mark Hughes, both 4/1.
  • Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I don’t like the football under Jones, but all the work he has done behind the scenes, and the position we are in, it would be criminal for him to go!
    It’s also early to assume the football and individual players won’t improve. Coventry is rated higher in general than he was 4 months ago.
    Of course they could also get worse!

Or rather teams will find a way to negate our strength, which is (other than Saturday), our defensive solidity. We are quite a predictable team, with little individual flair, so our way of playing is no surprise to opponents. 
  • Firstly I hope and don’t think Jones is going anywhere. Should what I’ve just written turn out to be bollox then it will have only been Jones forcing a move. Some things are just beyond the control of the club. It would I feel be disastrous and set us back into a slide and probable league one mediocrity again. Quite who we could get that would replace and continue the improvement Jones has overseen is a mystery. Personally I think Jones is in his best job since Luton. He knows the club well. Seems to have persuaded the owners to give him financial and complete control and is backed by any supporter with an ounce of sense.