Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Croydon said:
    I think any decent manager would have kept us up last season, coming in at the same time. I do think he has the potential to take us far higher than anyone else we could have got in though.
    We've had a plethora of managers since Curbscwho weren't decent though. I think Jones did well to get us the position we got to, I don't think a half decent manager would have got us relegated, but there would have been a longer  "squeaky bum time".
  • clive said:
    How about we judge him on the oncoming season. 
    Just a thought 
    If he stays that long.
    he does seem to have a habit of moving clubs quite often, be it at his own need or sacked by the club
    Does he?

His two times at Luton would put him in the top 15 of time served going from current managers.

And then he was sacked by Stoke and Southampton.

I wouldn’t really say he has a habit of moving, indeed everything in his ethos according to his interviews is about having a ‘project’
    I would. When the project has been going well and the offer from a higher league has come calling, he has jumped ship. But perhaps he's learnt his lesson, as it hasn't gone well either time and in the process he's missed out on 2 promotions that he would perhaps feel that he put the building blocks in place for.
  • Welcome home JJ ?
  • edited September 23
    NJ has zero chance of managing in the Championship, after Stoke and Southampton he needs to prove he can manage a successful team and get them promoted.

I would not be surprised if things go sour we will sack him by Christmas 
    God I hope not... Purely for the stability we need, feel like we'd need to be in serious shit for that to happen.

A lot of what happens on the pitch (Struggling against Cray Valley etc.) seems to embarrass people on here which I find a bit over the top at times. But am genuinely surprised that the fact we've had such a turnover of Managers since Bowyer doesnt embarrass more 
  • Talk of sacking NJ is madness, we are only a handful of games into the season and whilst not playing brilliantly we are in the play off positions. Give the team a few months to bed in with miles and Edwards coming back we should improve.
    Are people actually talking about sacking NJ? Madness if so, especially as I’m pretty sure he has a long term contract so would be an expensive mistake to make. 
  • edited September 23
    se9addick said:
    Talk of sacking NJ is madness, we are only a handful of games into the season and whilst not playing brilliantly we are in the play off positions. Give the team a few months to bed in with miles and Edwards coming back we should improve.
    Are people actually talking about sacking NJ? Madness if so, especially as I’m pretty sure he has a long term contract so would be an expensive mistake to make. 
    I dont think anyone is seriously wanting Jones out (at least I really hope not), but I do think there are people who are struggling to buy into the project under Nathan Jones 
  • Sponsored links:

• Not surprised he's second favourite but would be surprised if Vincent Tan was willing to pay significant compensation for a manager. 
  • shirty5 said:
    He won’t get sacked but it would never surprise if he walks. 
    And takes all his old mates with him
  • ross1 said:
    shirty5 said:
    He won’t get sacked but it would never surprise if he walks. 
    And takes all his old mates with him
    Hopefully
  • I have little time for NJ but he is here and needs to be given the season to do his thing
  • Would take a lot from either us or Cardiff to pay him out of a 5 year deal. Jones is here to stay which is good news for us 
  • Following the last four managers, none of whom completed a season. We need stability.

I have no doubt that Jones will have a release clause, it was rumoured that this was one of the reasons that Millwall didn't appoint him.

Would Cardiff pay it? I have my doubts. Also would he leave and risk another Stoke or Southampton scenario which could potentially finish his career?
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah I don't think anyone should want Jones out already. 

He deserves the full season and we can decide in July whether the impact has been enough. 
  • se9addick said:
    Here we go, "NJ must go" has started...🤦‍♂️
    Rothko said:
    This place has lost it mind since Saturday, one poor performance and the dementors are out in force
    Has anyone really suggested sacking Jones? I can’t actually see it (on here at least). 
    No one has said it, but it won't stop people from assuming it for some reason.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cwy9g72gvvko

BBC article on the Cardiff vacancy. NJ is mentioned at the bottom. 
  • Awful stuff to watch but I reckon we’ll be in or within touching distance of the playoffs at Christmas. We need a good spell from Leaburn though.
    it was a tactical cock up on Saturday.
    Hopefully we can get a more forward thinking midfielder in then.

• I can't believe people want NJ to leave! He changed us as a team last season and we finally became difficult to beat. He's got rid of players many of us were saying are not good enough, (although I disagree with May leaving).
    This season we have played 7, won 4, drawn 1 and lost 2 and we sit 4th in the League!
    This is still a work in progress, and whilst I agree it's not the greatest football in the world, we are much better off than we were last season. It would be lovely (and rare) if we could finish this season with the same manager we started with, our club needs stability.
    So I hope he doesn't go anywhere and can continue with his project!