Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• edited September 23
    He has done a good job overall. With Leaburn & Dixon now at his disposal he just needs to play our creative players in their right positions (Campbell on the wing as he was when he came on at the weekend) & we’ll be good.

433 with Campbell, Leaburn & Dixon as the front line would transform our current football into a much more effective / entertaining side.
  • I had no idea so many people were against NJ.  I know the football isn't pretty to watch, but he's doing a good job 
    It's far worse than "not pretty".
  • I have little time for NJ but he is here and needs to be given the season to do his thing
    Like you I have little time for him but I'll go even further & say we should stick by him for 2+ years. No point bringing in a new manager who will want different players for a different system. Just more yearly churn of players.

Problem at the moment is that the 'churn of players' over the summer has not improved the team. The only new player to be consistently good is Mitchell, and the defence has improved partly as a result of him. The midfield is just as pedestrian as last season and our large collection of forwards seem incapable of scoring (unlike the man they replaced).
  • Talk of sacking NJ is madness, we are only a handful of games into the season and whilst not playing brilliantly we are in the play off positions. Give the team a few months to bed in with miles and Edwards coming back we should improve.

This, absolutely bonkers to have talk about sacking him. 
  • He has done a good job overall. With Leaburn & Dixon now at his disposal he just needs to play our creative players in their right positions (Campbell on the wing as he was when he came on at the weekend) & we’ll be good.

433 with Campbell, Leaburn & Dixon as the front line would transform our current football into a much more effective / entertaining side.
    Our whole defence was recruited for playing a 3 at the back system. It’s where they have all had success at previous clubs. I think it would be risky to change from that when our defence has been so strong. 

I think it’s better to keep the strong defence in place, and hope the midfield clicks with a bit more time and that Leaburn can make a difference up front 
  • NabySarr said:
    He has done a good job overall. With Leaburn & Dixon now at his disposal he just needs to play our creative players in their right positions (Campbell on the wing as he was when he came on at the weekend) & we’ll be good.

Our whole defence was recruited for playing a 3 at the back system. It’s where they have all had success at previous clubs. I think it would be risky to change from that when our defence has been so strong. 

I think it’s better to keep the strong defence in place, and hope the midfield clicks with a bit more time and that Leaburn can make a difference up front 
    100%, mucking around with the defence was a disaster on Saturday. 
  • Curbs is our most successful manager in modern times, during his tenure there were periods when he could have been sacked, early on and in our 1st season in the Prem but the club bought into him and the project, so we had 7 years of Prem and stability, he leaves and we become a nut job club.  

We may not get promotion this season, we are a work in progress, we may finish outside the top 6, but we have seen progress and as long as we can see that, then we should not be talking about undermining stability.
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe it's more of a case that Jones is missing his family and will want to go, especially if things aren't working out for him as expected at the Valley.

I really don't know what he expected given the type of players he's recruited.
    There's literally no flair or pace in any of our midfielders.

He seems to be the type of guy who likes to make really weird, inexplicable decisions, just in order to try to prove that he's so much more clever than anyone else.
    Selling May, not playing Mitchell on Saturday, and, one could even argue, not going all out to try to retain Dobbo before Wrexham jumped in for him.

Relying so heavily on "the press", "being on the front foot" etc, will only take you so far and will soon implode once we start losing, and the players get rejected and stop giving 105% every game.

Such tactics are no substitute for skill, flair, pace, guile, which we are sadly lacking, apart from TC, Miles and Ramsey.

HIs family live on the south coast so would have exactly the same problem if he went to Cardiff
  • I don’t expect Jones will go to Cardiff simply because they are unlikely to pay the compensation. 

But if they do stump up some cash and we allow them to talk to NJ I think it would probably happen.
  • se9addick said:
    Here we go, "NJ must go" has started...🤦‍♂️
    Rothko said:
    This place has lost it mind since Saturday, one poor performance and the dementors are out in force
    Has anyone really suggested sacking Jones? I can’t actually see it (on here at least). 
    No, on one said anything like that, only the comment ‘I would not be surprised if things go sour we will sack him by Christmas’

A big ‘if’ there. Like, If we were bottom by Christmas then yeah, he’d be under pressure. Since then there’s been some extreme clutching of pearls on something that wasn’t said. Move on.
  • Nowt so queer as folk, and whippets.
  • NJ has zero chance of managing in the Championship, after Stoke and Southampton he needs to prove he can manage a successful team and get them promoted.

I would not be surprised if things go sour we will sack him by Christmas 
     I can't see him seeing out his contract here & it wouldn't surprise me if he was gone by the end of this season. 
  • “Would anyone be bothered if Jones left for Cardiff?” just posted on a Charlton Facebook group…
  • Sponsored links:

• This thread is utter madness.  I'm genuinely shocked at some of the comments
    The whole world has gone mad mate...nothin' exclusive here...🙄
  • edited September 23
    Dizzle said:
    With the state that we were in, is anybody surprised we aren’t storming the league?
    I mean even if we were storming the League, anyone who thought we'd go the entire season without losing a game (most likely having to play crap for that to happen), is kidding themselves.

We're just making it a touch harder for ourselves having already lost twice, Portsmouth (5) - Derby (10) - Plymouth (7) - Ipswich (4) - Wigan (8) - Rotherham (10) are the games you can afford to lose in recent years with promotion.
  • I don't see Cardiff as a particularly attractive job. The sort of position you'd go for if unemployed and desperate for a job, but it's a low chance that you'll succeed and improve your reputation, as they're not stable or especially well funded.

I don't think Tan is interested enough in Cardiff anymore to pay what would be a seven figure compensation fee for a manager. Far more likely to appoint a Roland esque random European manager who's currently unemployed.