Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• seth plum said:
    If Richard Cawley knows who the majority, or even major shareholder is, I wish he would tell us.
    I want to know who has the final sign off on decisions.
    Speaking personally I hope Rodwell, Scott, Warrick, Leneghan, and Methven are nowhere near the decision making process, because so far if they have been in charge they have been useless and made relegation more likely than not.
    We all know you think the majority shareholder is Dr. Evil.
    If you mean I think Methven is the majority shareholder you’re wrong.
    Neither do I think Methven is Evil or Dr Evil.
    What I have experienced so far this season is our club suffering death by a thousand cuts, slow drawn out torture.
    If the ownership is divided into 100 shares I would like to know which person has 51 of those, or which pair or group of people have enough shares to add up to that majority of 51.
    They are the people in charge aren’t they?
    If they have delegated that power elsewhere that decision has been awful, if they are being scammed or bullshitted by a minority holding, the decision to allow that so far exposes them as fools.
    All the time this situation continues I believe some people are taking a substantial unjustified financial squeeze, I thought the same about Southall but had no proof until it turned out we were in a transfer embargo, and Nimer told us about Range Rovers, overpriced London flats, nice breads and bitches.
    I don’t want to wake up and find we have not paid the VAT and staff wages and are heading for administration.
    If that were to happen (nah that never happens in football cry some) I want to know who the majority shareholders are because it would be on them.
  • jbaker said:
    I know Nathan jones has spoken to senior people at the club. Sounded as if it was getting done but I think he is quite demanding about things as he is worried about transfers, squad depth, structure etc

That’s the update I had this morning 
    He can’t really have a say in transfers given it’s deadline day most deals now would be to far down  the line ….. squad depth has improved the ability has got better … Stoke and Southampton fans said he was always wanting more from the owners through out his time at the clubs , he lost it when he did not get it .. started acting very strangely with press interviews , team selections ….. 

• Leuth said:
    There isn't an argument against. Jones would still be a somewhat eye-catching appointment. Warnock is a national institution though, so would get us noticed by the wider football-supporting public. Who you want depends on how important you feel that is 
    more an eye watering appointment .. would bring tears to my eyes for sure  :'(
  • For all those Googling PMA = Positive Mental Attitude 😉
  • I think that the only way for Charlton to achieve success and get out of this awful league, is to appoint Nathan Jones.

He done absolute wonders and proved himself at Luton Town, and this shows that hopefully he could go on and repeat this for Charlton.

The longer we have a continuing revolving door Managers of the calibre of Garner, Holden and Appleton we will never get promoted.

These managers are average lower league managers. They don't have the contacts or the charisma to get quality loan signings from the big clubs, nor the appeal to sign really good players. Offering the job to managers like the Cowley Brothers and Appleton is to condemn us to this division for years to come.

Our only hope of ever regaining former glories is to appoint a manager like Nathan Jones.

• DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Uboat said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I am not sure who feeds REAMS and Dubai (assume same person giving info to them both) but find it very odd just how much leaks from this club constantly since this mob took over.   It seems incredibly amateur and just causes upset most of the time. 

It's a week since Apple's was sacked, we were massively unlikely to have appointed someone by now and no one would be too disappointed, but because of the leaks there is a risk people end up that way.

It's weird and it's unprofessional imo.

Not a dig at people passing info here and elsewhere but a dig at the source of such info.
    Leaks have always happened, before this group it was easier to get information I would say.. Difference is, people have already made there mind up they don't like a certain person in this group, and will always look to pick holes.. 

Was never going to be a quick process to appoint a new manager, and was never a plan to do so, until Burton game, and they did actually sack him that night, but back tracked, well 2 out of board did.. 

To be honest, those two I think were bang out of order to allow Appleton to go through Tuesday game, knowing the toxic atmosphere..
    I just find it mind-boggling that someone is sharing this level of detail with you and is apparently happy with you putting it in the public domain. Doesn’t it make you wonder? 
    As a supporter I’m happy to be made aware of it, but there’s no way someone could get away with such a lack of professionalism in most work places. 
    Come on.. Chit chatter happens in every business.. Go out for a ciggy or on a work social.. It happens all the time.. Across every football club up and down the country..

People have got a problem with it, because they don't like certain people
    No, some people don't like and other do.

Some reason people don't like it, or at least the way it is done, is that it is unprofessional, it undermines what should be the club's proper comms strategy, the information isn't always correct and quite often it comes with a large degree of spin which positions the leaker, and the ultimate source is most definitely Methven even if he's not your direct source, as not having done anything wrong but always that is is other directors' fault or greedy agents/players/clubs to blame.

I understand all of that, but it is funny isn't when things use to be leaked from other owners directly or non, to people like yourself and Rick, it wasn't classed as unprofessional then.. Leaks have always happened, and will also continue to do so.. It is the way of the world.

People are digging because they don't like who it could be coming from, and making a big deal about it. 

For what it is worth, it is pretty quiet at the moment.
    This isn't about me or Rick though.

it's about Charlie Methven.  And you're right, some people don't like or trust him.

Some of that is irrational or just plain bonkers (Eton, red trousers, Oxford Utd) but a lot is rational and based on his track record at Sunderland and the way he constantly leaks to manipulate and perhaps ingratiate himself, something he did at Sunderland and has been doing here since before he took over.

I've met him, he comes over as a likable and enthusiastic guy who likes a laugh, but I'm judging him by his ability to run OUR football club professionally and successfully. 

And so far, he is failing on both counts.

If Jones doesn't now join us there is going to be a huge level of disappointment among many fans and in part that will have been caused by the briefings that Methven has been making when he should have kept schtum and just allowed a bland statement on the website of "Looking at a short list of impressive candidates but won't be saying anything until we're ready to announce, in the meantime we continue to look to strengthen the squad for the rest of the season and beyond."

Boring and not what the fans want to know but that would have been the professional communications thing to do and Methven is meant to be a communications professional.

PS WIOTOS wasn't always a bit of catchphrase/in-joke.  It was a reminder that gossip is just gossip but hard facts and announcements are what matter so don't rely too much on rumours and leaks and never take them 100% at face value.
    But point is, it was okay for other directors to leak news, and not be classed as unprofessional.. I would say Jones isn't something he is leaking, as from what I hear, he wouldn't be his choice.. 

At the end of the day, a lot of people don't like him because of his background, and education.. that is fact, and already have a strong opinion..

I would say, people need to listen to his podcast, and he speaks a lot of sense and understands business.. For me, this is a bump in the road in terms of long term future! I think they know how important this appointment is, and they need to be 100% and if there is any doubt in Jones, I would say don't appoint him
    Thanks for passing on the info, much appreciated!

I’m intrigued that you think this is just a bump in the road. From the outside it looks like a complete car crash, and that’s not taking account the previous reputations of the SMT.

I just wondered what is giving you confidence it’s all going to work out fine?
    I wasn't going to post today, as I don't want to get into the exchanges yesterday, but as you have approached in a respectively I will responded.

Yes, it hasn't gone to plan as of yet, but right from the start it wasn't going to be an overnight fix, years of under investment, poor recruitment on and off the field, makes this a long slog.

Everyone keeps pointing the fingers at Charlie and hold him accountable, okay so yes you can blame him for some aspects, but most of the decision are not made by him or one person, they are made as a group.. Behind the sense they have made some good appointments and have good people involved with the club.. If this group didn't have the ambition or knowhow to move Charlton forward, people like Steve Sutherland wouldn't got involved. 

They are investing in players, off the field staff, and in the process of appointing a manager who wouldn't have necessarily have joined a struggling league one club.

As I was saying yesterday, my issue is people have made there mind up and want them to fail, and people are saying that isn't the case, I am sure it is, with the constant negativity. We have had to many years of owners not giving a shit, and we get a group that want to make a success, and it feels like we have a certain set of supporters hell bent to turn it negative.

I don't want to get in to this like yesterday, as it got out of hand.. Hopefully next few days, we will have someone in charge who can get us moving up the league.. Do you know what PMA goes a long way in life.. Don't all be Victor Meldrew's!

Up the addicks!    
    The people you say who want to make a success have made a failure.
  • Sponsored links:

• ValleyBen said:
    Always easier to blame the fans to deflect from valid criticism of decision makers, coaches & players. 

You know the people who actually do effect what happens on the pitch. 
    There is a section of fans I do blame a bit: the stay-aways who live close enough to attend. If you show up to The Valley though you can say whatever you want imo (except like, abusing individual players) 
  • (except Gilbey) 
  • edited February 1
    seth plum said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Uboat said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I am not sure who feeds REAMS and Dubai (assume same person giving info to them both) but find it very odd just how much leaks from this club constantly since this mob took over.   It seems incredibly amateur and just causes upset most of the time. 

It's a week since Apple's was sacked, we were massively unlikely to have appointed someone by now and no one would be too disappointed, but because of the leaks there is a risk people end up that way.

Not a dig at people passing info here and elsewhere but a dig at the source of such info.
    Leaks have always happened, before this group it was easier to get information I would say.. Difference is, people have already made there mind up they don't like a certain person in this group, and will always look to pick holes.. 

Was never going to be a quick process to appoint a new manager, and was never a plan to do so, until Burton game, and they did actually sack him that night, but back tracked, well 2 out of board did.. 

To be honest, those two I think were bang out of order to allow Appleton to go through Tuesday game, knowing the toxic atmosphere..
    I just find it mind-boggling that someone is sharing this level of detail with you and is apparently happy with you putting it in the public domain. Doesn’t it make you wonder? 
    As a supporter I’m happy to be made aware of it, but there’s no way someone could get away with such a lack of professionalism in most work places. 
    Come on.. Chit chatter happens in every business.. Go out for a ciggy or on a work social.. It happens all the time.. Across every football club up and down the country..

Some reason people don't like it, or at least the way it is done, is that it is unprofessional, it undermines what should be the club's proper comms strategy, the information isn't always correct and quite often it comes with a large degree of spin which positions the leaker, and the ultimate source is most definitely Methven even if he's not your direct source, as not having done anything wrong but always that is is other directors' fault or greedy agents/players/clubs to blame.

I understand all of that, but it is funny isn't when things use to be leaked from other owners directly or non, to people like yourself and Rick, it wasn't classed as unprofessional then.. Leaks have always happened, and will also continue to do so.. It is the way of the world.

People are digging because they don't like who it could be coming from, and making a big deal about it. 

it's about Charlie Methven.  And you're right, some people don't like or trust him.

Some of that is irrational or just plain bonkers (Eton, red trousers, Oxford Utd) but a lot is rational and based on his track record at Sunderland and the way he constantly leaks to manipulate and perhaps ingratiate himself, something he did at Sunderland and has been doing here since before he took over.

I've met him, he comes over as a likable and enthusiastic guy who likes a laugh, but I'm judging him by his ability to run OUR football club professionally and successfully. 

If Jones doesn't now join us there is going to be a huge level of disappointment among many fans and in part that will have been caused by the briefings that Methven has been making when he should have kept schtum and just allowed a bland statement on the website of "Looking at a short list of impressive candidates but won't be saying anything until we're ready to announce, in the meantime we continue to look to strengthen the squad for the rest of the season and beyond."

Boring and not what the fans want to know but that would have been the professional communications thing to do and Methven is meant to be a communications professional.

PS WIOTOS wasn't always a bit of catchphrase/in-joke.  It was a reminder that gossip is just gossip but hard facts and announcements are what matter so don't rely too much on rumours and leaks and never take them 100% at face value.
    But point is, it was okay for other directors to leak news, and not be classed as unprofessional.. I would say Jones isn't something he is leaking, as from what I hear, he wouldn't be his choice.. 

At the end of the day, a lot of people don't like him because of his background, and education.. that is fact, and already have a strong opinion..

I would say, people need to listen to his podcast, and he speaks a lot of sense and understands business.. For me, this is a bump in the road in terms of long term future! I think they know how important this appointment is, and they need to be 100% and if there is any doubt in Jones, I would say don't appoint him

I’m intrigued that you think this is just a bump in the road. From the outside it looks like a complete car crash, and that’s not taking account the previous reputations of the SMT.

I wasn't going to post today, as I don't want to get into the exchanges yesterday, but as you have approached in a respectively I will responded.

Yes, it hasn't gone to plan as of yet, but right from the start it wasn't going to be an overnight fix, years of under investment, poor recruitment on and off the field, makes this a long slog.

Everyone keeps pointing the fingers at Charlie and hold him accountable, okay so yes you can blame him for some aspects, but most of the decision are not made by him or one person, they are made as a group.. Behind the sense they have made some good appointments and have good people involved with the club.. If this group didn't have the ambition or knowhow to move Charlton forward, people like Steve Sutherland wouldn't got involved. 

They are investing in players, off the field staff, and in the process of appointing a manager who wouldn't have necessarily have joined a struggling league one club.

As I was saying yesterday, my issue is people have made there mind up and want them to fail, and people are saying that isn't the case, I am sure it is, with the constant negativity. TTWe have had to many years of owners not giving a shit, and we get a group that want to make a success, and it feels like we have a certain set of supporters hell bent to turn it negative.

I don't want to get in to this like yesterday, as it got out of hand.. Hopefully next few days, we will have someone in charge who can get us moving up the league.. Do you know what PMA goes a long way in life.. Don't all be Victor Meldrew's!

Up the addicks!    
    As of 1st Feb 2024! I suspect that isn't their deadline for measuring success if working to longer term goals though, but they are undoubtedly lagging behind where they expected to be at this stage and are taking remedial action. What would you have them do. Sell up?
  • I think that the only way for Charlton to achieve success and get out of this awful league, is to appoint Nathan Jones.

He done absolute wonders and proved himself at Luton Town, and this shows that hopefully he could go on and repeat this for Charlton.

The longer we have a continuing revolving door Managers of the calibre of Garner, Holden and Appleton we will never get promoted.

These managers are average lower league managers. They don't have the contacts or the charisma to get quality loan signings from the big clubs, nor the appeal to sign really good players. Offering the job to managers like the Cowley Brothers and Appleton is to condemn us to this division for years to come.

Our only hope of ever regaining former glories is to appoint a manager like Nathan Jones.

Nonsense, if Garner, Holden and Appleton were properly backed i believe they could all have achieved promotion.  Nathan Jones didn't have contacts when he first started managing did he? But he did have a good set up at Luton and good players.

So many platitudes on here such as " X manager got promoted here and there but failed here" It's not just the manager that determines success is it.
  • I think and I have no knowledge other than a gut feeling that it’s Nathan Jones that the club really want but what he’s brought to the discussions is proving a problem. Seems like he had more or less complete control at Luton much in the same that Curbs was able to oversee everything at Charlton. I can genuinely see why that might be a bridge too far for many clubs now. Perhaps not quite a who blinks first scenario but one side or the other are going to need to cede something. I’m not convinced Jones or the club will. I get the feeling that this is slipping away from us now and is why Warnock and a short term appointment is still not out of the question. Looking like it will drag on into next week so lots more angst and moaning to come. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Uboat said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

As I was saying yesterday, my issue is people have made there mind up and want them to fail, and people are saying that isn't the case, I am sure it is, with the constant negativity. We have had to many years of owners not giving a shit, and we get a group that want to make a success, and it feels like we have a certain set of supporters hell bent to turn it negative.

Up the addicks!    
    I totally agree with this - we have to be more optimistic , they are the owners we've got now , lets be supportive 
    I fail to see what else I can do as I already turn up and pay to get in. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I was always going to give the SMT time, and I still do. Was hoping for a challenge to promotion this year but wasn’t going to throw my toys out the pram if it didn’t  happen. However, they have got it so wrong this year and the fact the relegation is on the cards is incredible. Get Jones in and build for next year.
  • It has to be Jones or Warnock for me. I'd prefer Jones as a long-term solution, wellmore than 6 months! Warnock would only be till the end if the season, then we have to start searching again!  But better Warnock than nobody

• I think and I have no knowledge other than a gut feeling that it’s Nathan Jones that the club really want but what he’s brought to the discussions is proving a problem. Seems like he had more or less complete control at Luton much in the same that Curbs was able to oversee everything at Charlton. I can genuinely see why that might be a bridge too far for many clubs now. Perhaps not quite a who blinks first scenario but one side or the other are going to need to cede something. I’m not convinced Jones or the club will. I get the feeling that this is slipping away from us now and is why Warnock and a short term appointment is still not out of the question. Looking like it will drag on into next week so lots more angst and moaning to come. 
    I don’t think he did have complete control at Luton. That’s why they’ve been so successful. The set up around the manager is so good that when a manager leaves they can replace them seamlessly. They’ve had a clear style of play, data-driven recruitment to that style and then slot the manager into that. 

I’d be happy with Jones but my concern would be is the current recruitment set up good enough, maybe that’s his concern also 
  • swordfish said:
    seth plum said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Uboat said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

As I was saying yesterday, my issue is people have made there mind up and want them to fail, and people are saying that isn't the case, I am sure it is, with the constant negativity. TTWe have had to many years of owners not giving a shit, and we get a group that want to make a success, and it feels like we have a certain set of supporters hell bent to turn it negative.

Up the addicks!    
    As of 1st Feb 2024! I suspect that isn't their deadline for measuring success if working to longer term goals though, but they are undoubtedly lagging behind where they expected to be at this stage and are taking remedial action. What would you have them do. Sell up?
    If I won Euromillions I would ask them to sell up to me.
    If there are any credible interested parties out there certainly I would like the present regime to sell up.
    If you know what their deadline for measuring success is you know a lot more than I do, would you mind sharing that information?
    How many chances do we give them? Unto relegation to the fourth division? How big is the imaginary pot of jam tomorrow?
    I would like the present regime to win every remaining game this season, or at least avoid relegation, and win promotion next season, we all would. However judging by what has happened so far how likely do you think that scenario is?

• I was more happy with the names that had been put about from the start this time, but the fact is we should have a new manager by now. This process has taken too long and we're going to be going into another game with a system put in place by a caretaker while we wait for someone to come in. It felt like they'd aimed quite high with Jones and actually got him interested so having delays on it this far in because the left hand thinks the right hand is a prick is not a good look. Hopefully we won't have to do this again for years and years but the reality is they need to get better at it because every day lost is less time for the new manager to get the players playing how he wants and we'll suffer for it.

Nonsense, if Garner, Holden and Appleton were properly backed i believe they could all have achieved promotion.  Nathan Jones didn't have contacts when he first started managing did he? But he did have a good set up at Luton and good players.

So many platitudes on here such as " X manager got promoted here and there but failed here" It's not just the manager that determines success is it.
    What?! 😂