Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• A question on a scenario:

We go into Saturday's game with Fletcher and Pearce in charge, the team play well and gain a well deserved victory.

The search for a new manager is ongoing with none of the candidates being thought to be the one but at least one of them while favoured is asking for guarantees that the Owners/SMT are not sure about.

Should the club leave the current management twosome in place for the rest of the season and take time to find the what they consider the right person to take the club forward next season

or

Appoint one of the current interviewees
    Fletcher? Who is he?
  • A question on a scenario:

We go into Saturday's game with Fletcher and Pearce in charge, the team play well and gain a well deserved victory.

The search for a new manager is ongoing with none of the candidates being thought to be the one but at least one of them while favoured is asking for guarantees that the Owners/SMT are not sure about.

Should the club leave the current management twosome in place for the rest of the season and take time to find the what they consider the right person to take the club forward next season

or

Fletcher? Who is he?
    That’s Golfie’s fault he gave an analogy the other day about abandoning ship with Captain Bligh or Fletcher Christian and looks like Lancs has decided that Fleming is Fletcher 😉
  • People seem to be saying Warnock is only good in a relegation fight but he’s got a good promotion record too. I’d go for Jones personally but Warnock wouldn’t be just looking at the next 6 months 
  • If the choice is between Nathan Jones and Andy Scott still keeping his responsibilities.

The correct choice is pretty obvious to me. 
    Are we clear on what Scott’s responsibilities are? Some have blamed him for the managerial appointments but Cawley’s said that’s not entirely Scott’s decision.
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    People seem to be saying Warnock is only good in a relegation fight but he’s got a good promotion record too. I’d go for Jones personally but Warnock wouldn’t be just looking at the next 6 months 
    When was his last promotion though? 

Not sure he’s got it in him anymore for a full season, his recent attempts haven’t been great where he’s been given a summer and started the season somewhere 
  • edited February 1
    A question on a scenario:

We go into Saturday's game with Fleming and Pearce in charge, the team play well and gain a well deserved victory.

or

I think no one answered because it's an unlikely scenario and there is no obvious answer.
    I would say they should make a decision and appoint someone who they consider to be the best candidate regardless of results under Fleming/Pearce.
  • NabySarr said:
    fenaddick said:
    People seem to be saying Warnock is only good in a relegation fight but he’s got a good promotion record too. I’d go for Jones personally but Warnock wouldn’t be just looking at the next 6 months 
    When was his last promotion though? 

Not sure he’s got it in him anymore for a full season, his recent attempts haven’t been great where he’s been given a summer and started the season somewhere 
    Think that’s because he’s been getting Championship jobs where I agree he isn’t up to promotion anymore. L1 is much more like the Championship used to be, I think he’d do ok and would be a pull to players 
  • Please stop saying ' we wont go down'

We aint won in 15, have a very difficult Feb and the whole place could be in pieces by March!
    ...But it might not be...🤦‍♂️
  • Charlton Life advert algorithm working in perfect harmony with our current plight

• Did Jones ever have control over transfers at Luton, Stoke or Southampton? I’m not sure he did. Input perhaps, total control though?

I find it really strange that people think we’re the only club operating this way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Uboat said:

We need someone a little crazy to come in and be our saviour...
    Announce Guy Luzon. 
    Stuart Pearce, lol
  • edited February 1
    Addick_8 said:
    Did Jones ever have control over transfers at Luton, Stoke or Southampton? I’m not sure he did. Input perhaps, total control though?

I find it really strange that people think we’re the only club operating this way.
    I find it really strange that people going into two transfer deadline days (with a lot of work still needing to be done) without a Head coach/manager in place is normal or acceptable.

Kind of separate to the point I was making but fair enough.

If you had a choice between keeping Appleton for two more games (Blackpool, Derby this weekend) and having some deadline day signings or getting rid of him and having no deadline day signings, what’s the preference?

These are the kind of points I was trying to make in favour of keeping him a bit longer but the sentiment against him became too strong.
  • Croydon said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Did Jones ever have control over transfers at Luton, Stoke or Southampton? I’m not sure he did. Input perhaps, total control though?

I find it really strange that people going into two transfer deadline days (with a lot of work still needing to be done) without a Head coach/manager in place is normal or acceptable.

Mental gymnastics every window by the same people trying to convince themselves everything is fine and under control. Southall's deadline day was good, the deadline day loan shambles of the summer was good, apparently no manager or further improvements is good.
    Can someone point me out to where someone said 'it is acceptable and normal to be in the situation we are now'. I'd like to respond to that message with my thoughts.

• fenaddick said:
    They will bring in a yes man.

Unless there is a dramatic restructure, the three 🤡 s are not going to want somebody working on their terms.

Warnock for a start will not suffer any s***.
  • Latest:

Redknapp flying up the rear!
    Surely Edmonds has been out of the game too long?
  • Did Jones ever have control over transfers at Luton, Stoke or Southampton? I’m not sure he did. Input perhaps, total control though?

Our only successes have come when we have had a manager with loads of control (Curbs, Powell, Bowyer). So it does make sense that a lot of our fans think this is the best way to do things 

The old way can still work of course, but you are much more likely to get long term success with a more modern set up. The technical director role and responsibilities isn’t the problem, the problem is that Scott has done a very poor job so far in the role