Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Warnock on an 18 month deal is just what we need imo, I think Jones could be inspired but also carries a risk of relegation.
    As does Warnock or anyone else! He might fail here, just as McCarthy did at Blackpool when brought in to save them last season.

I'm not sure we'll get either, and neither would be my first choice, but of those two, I'd prefer Jones.
  • Love how I keep getting a sponsored link appearing on cl with the ad "15 performances only, clueless the musical at Churchill theatre Bromley" 
  • Still think it’ll be the cowley brothers after being so close last time. 
    They're at Colchester now, only took over there at the start of the month
  • We need to stop the rot and gain some upward momentum, and very quickly.
    A long term, build for the future, type appointment, has no guarantee of working out, and could lumber us with yet another failure, on a long term contract.

Having said that, if Warnock is a serious contender at his age, why the hell isn't Curbs in contention? Out of the game a long time for sure, but he's surely more clued up about Charlton than Warnock is!

• When it all goes tits up again for the new manager, as it surely will, I want to enjoy the ability for some amusing protests against them. Neil Warnock and his funny anagramatical name give us the best opportunity for this to happen. Come on, get Colin in.
  • Riga. Third time’s the charm. 
  • For those clamouring for Warnock, he's been quite clear - Short contracts only. I could see us bringing him in to get us safe, but we'd need his replacement on the scene early enough to review what they have, need and can get from our squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's going to be Fleming until the end of the season isn't it?!!
  • supaclive said:
    Evening all!
    I have bad news sadly
    Rowett won't be taking the job
    He is being paid by Millwall until end of August
    He is paid by Sky to do Soccer Saturday
    We are offering a fair whack for a team bottom 6 in Division 3
    But not as much as Rowett gets currently
    He also wanted to be Manager not Head Coach and have more control than was being offered

#preyforjones
    Another great manager turning us down because of the Methven imposed SMT structure. Surely a Technical Director is overkill for League 1, it’s clearly not working. We’re signing unfit, lightweight players and hiring some truly average ‘coaches’.
    Seriously doubt that.
    It 100% isn't
  • Leuth said:
    Every argument is in favour of appointing a longer-term, younger manager, except one, and that isn't the prospect of relegation, which I believe we'd avoid under Jones. No, the one argument is attention. Charlton Athletic would be noticed again, in a context other than 'what happened to those guys'
    I might be misunderstanding you but isn't that a good thing? Why is that an argument against?
  • WHAddick said:
    Leuth said:
    Every argument is in favour of appointing a longer-term, younger manager, except one, and that isn't the prospect of relegation, which I believe we'd avoid under Jones. No, the one argument is attention. Charlton Athletic would be noticed again, in a context other than 'what happened to those guys'
    I might be misunderstanding you but isn't that a good thing? Why is that an argument against?
    No, it's an argument for! A compelling one too
  • supaclive said:
    Evening all!
    I have bad news sadly
    Rowett won't be taking the job
    He is being paid by Millwall until end of August
    He is paid by Sky to do Soccer Saturday
    We are offering a fair whack for a team bottom 6 in Division 3
    But not as much as Rowett gets currently
    He also wanted to be Manager not Head Coach and have more control than was being offered

#preyforjones
    Another great manager turning us down because of the Methven imposed SMT structure. Surely a Technical Director is overkill for League 1, it’s clearly not working. We’re signing unfit, lightweight players and hiring some truly average ‘coaches’.
    Thats the problem.
  • As I have said, will get my full support if we do hire Jones but I still believe he is a 50/50 roll of the dice riskier appointment. 

Did very good at one incredibly well run club but failed at two more regular run clubs. 
  • Leuth said:
    WHAddick said:
    Leuth said:
    Ok..so what's the argument against?
    No he'll get the job full time on Monday, then get sacked in April
  • Sponsored links:

• PWADDICK said:
    Embarrassing, a week and a half later after sacking a manager who should’ve been sacked long before then, not only have we not decided on a manager, we’ve not even decided on the type of manager we want!!!
    Think that’s possibly unfair. The club only have a choice from who is available and who wants to come. Out of those suitable options I suspect we’re talking about maybe three or four managers at best. If Neil Warnock is available he certainly fits the quality criteria but not as a long term option. If we’re to believe Rowett has ruled himself out perhaps it’s a straight choice now of between perhaps two men. If for example those two were Warnock and Jones I think this forum would be split so I can understand why the board might be too. 
  • Leuth said:
    WHAddick said:
    Leuth said:

• There isn't an argument against. Jones would still be a somewhat eye-catching appointment. Warnock is a national institution though, so would get us noticed by the wider football-supporting public. Who you want depends on how important you feel that is 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Uboat said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I am not sure who feeds REAMS and Dubai (assume same person giving info to them both) but find it very odd just how much leaks from this club constantly since this mob took over.   It seems incredibly amateur and just causes upset most of the time. 

It's a week since Apple's was sacked, we were massively unlikely to have appointed someone by now and no one would be too disappointed, but because of the leaks there is a risk people end up that way.

It's weird and it's unprofessional imo.

Not a dig at people passing info here and elsewhere but a dig at the source of such info.
    Leaks have always happened, before this group it was easier to get information I would say.. Difference is, people have already made there mind up they don't like a certain person in this group, and will always look to pick holes.. 

Was never going to be a quick process to appoint a new manager, and was never a plan to do so, until Burton game, and they did actually sack him that night, but back tracked, well 2 out of board did.. 

To be honest, those two I think were bang out of order to allow Appleton to go through Tuesday game, knowing the toxic atmosphere..
    I just find it mind-boggling that someone is sharing this level of detail with you and is apparently happy with you putting it in the public domain. Doesn’t it make you wonder? 
    As a supporter I’m happy to be made aware of it, but there’s no way someone could get away with such a lack of professionalism in most work places. 
    Come on.. Chit chatter happens in every business.. Go out for a ciggy or on a work social.. It happens all the time.. Across every football club up and down the country..

People have got a problem with it, because they don't like certain people
    No, some people don't like and other do.

Some reason people don't like it, or at least the way it is done, is that it is unprofessional, it undermines what should be the club's proper comms strategy, the information isn't always correct and quite often it comes with a large degree of spin which positions the leaker, and the ultimate source is most definitely Methven even if he's not your direct source, as not having done anything wrong but always that is is other directors' fault or greedy agents/players/clubs to blame.

I understand all of that, but it is funny isn't when things use to be leaked from other owners directly or non, to people like yourself and Rick, it wasn't classed as unprofessional then.. Leaks have always happened, and will also continue to do so.. It is the way of the world.

People are digging because they don't like who it could be coming from, and making a big deal about it. 

For what it is worth, it is pretty quiet at the moment.
    This isn't about me or Rick though.

it's about Charlie Methven.  And you're right, some people don't like or trust him.

Some of that is irrational or just plain bonkers (Eton, red trousers, Oxford Utd) but a lot is rational and based on his track record at Sunderland and the way he constantly leaks to manipulate and perhaps ingratiate himself, something he did at Sunderland and has been doing here since before he took over.

I've met him, he comes over as a likable and enthusiastic guy who likes a laugh, but I'm judging him by his ability to run OUR football club professionally and successfully. 

And so far, he is failing on both counts.

If Jones doesn't now join us there is going to be a huge level of disappointment among many fans and in part that will have been caused by the briefings that Methven has been making when he should have kept schtum and just allowed a bland statement on the website of "Looking at a short list of impressive candidates but won't be saying anything until we're ready to announce, in the meantime we continue to look to strengthen the squad for the rest of the season and beyond."

Boring and not what the fans want to know but that would have been the professional communications thing to do and Methven is meant to be a communications professional.

PS WIOTOS wasn't always a bit of catchphrase/in-joke.  It was a reminder that gossip is just gossip but hard facts and announcements are what matter so don't rely too much on rumours and leaks and never take them 100% at face value.
    But point is, it was okay for other directors to leak news, and not be classed as unprofessional.. I would say Jones isn't something he is leaking, as from what I hear, he wouldn't be his choice.. 

At the end of the day, a lot of people don't like him because of his background, and education.. that is fact, and already have a strong opinion..

I would say, people need to listen to his podcast, and he speaks a lot of sense and understands business.. For me, this is a bump in the road in terms of long term future! I think they know how important this appointment is, and they need to be 100% and if there is any doubt in Jones, I would say don't appoint him
    Thanks for passing on the info, much appreciated!

I’m intrigued that you think this is just a bump in the road. From the outside it looks like a complete car crash, and that’s not taking account the previous reputations of the SMT.

I just wondered what is giving you confidence it’s all going to work out fine?
  • If Richard Cawley knows who the majority, or even major shareholder is, I wish he would tell us.
    I want to know who has the final sign off on decisions.
    Speaking personally I hope Rodwell, Scott, Warrick, Leneghan, and Methven are nowhere near the decision making process, because so far if they have been in charge they have been useless and made relegation more likely than not.
  • seth plum said:
    If Richard Cawley knows who the majority, or even major shareholder is, I wish he would tell us.
    I want to know who has the final sign off on decisions.
    Speaking personally I hope Rodwell, Scott, Warrick, Leneghan, and Methven are nowhere near the decision making process, because so far if they have been in charge they have been useless and made relegation more likely than not.
    We all know you think the majority shareholder is Dr. Evil.
  • jbaker said:
    I know Nathan jones has spoken to senior people at the club. Sounded as if it was getting done but I think he is quite demanding about things as he is worried about transfers, squad depth, structure etc

That’s the update I had this morning 
    So we want Jones, and he's interested but quite a long way off done yet...

Looks like Fleming gets a bit longer them.