Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• edited February 1
    Good on the main investors for getting involved in this appointment of a third manager this season! I defy anyone out there to keep funding a constant churn of managers willy nilly. So don’t be embarrassed that it’s taking time it was always going to be likely and furthermore the new appointee was never going to be in charge for the game this Saturday once we’d got midway through the week. The caretakers didn’t do too bad a job last time out so I’m sure they’ll have the team well prepared WIOTOS.
  • ValleyBen said:
    If they don't believe Warnock can get us promoted then they need their heads checked, a good manager is a good manager no matter his age. 

It's a good position to be in though if those are the main two serious candidates. 
    I’d have thought it’s more that Warnock doesn’t want anything more than a short term role until the end of the season. At least for now.
  • 18 months for us IS long term
    And 6 months seems standard bases on our last 5 hires!
  • MarcusH26 said:

Post from Cawley saying Jones has now met the owners , Warnock still an option, Board split on longer term Vs short term appointment 
    Even if its a long term appointment it will most probably end up bring short term.
  • Plaaayer said:
    Warnock linked with Aberdeen this morning. 
    Alex Neil for that job I think. 
  • edited February 1
    MarcusH26 said:

Post from Cawley saying Jones has now met the owners , Warnock still an option, Board split on longer term Vs short term appointment 
    Fair enough Cawley.

I’ve backed Warnock at 8/1 based on your tip off.

If it ends up that you’ve made this up then I’m coming for you, @LouisMend & everyone associated with the SLP. 🙂
  • For me an 18 month contract for Warnock would make sense. You know what you are getting with him. Would be a real step change in quality and experience from anything we have seen in recent appointments.

Actually more than a little surprised he would even consider it. 

Not so sure on Jones either. He found some magic at Luton but can that be recreated? 

• Sponsored links:

• edited February 1
    Warnock on an 18 month deal is just what we need imo, I think Jones could be inspired but also carries a risk of relegation.
  • mart77 said:
    Some might like him but Warburton would a wet fart of a move if it happens. Above Appleton and Lee Johnson but not convinced by him at all!
    It would be such a dull charlton type appointment. On that basis I expect him to get it.
  • Plaaayer said:
    Warnock linked with Aberdeen this morning. 
    Bookies fav as well. 
  • Every argument is in favour of appointing a longer-term, younger manager, except one, and that isn't the prospect of relegation, which I believe we'd avoid under Jones. No, the one argument is attention. Charlton Athletic would be noticed again, in a context other than 'what happened to those guys'
  • Scoham said:
    ValleyBen said:
    If they don't believe Warnock can get us promoted then they need their heads checked, a good manager is a good manager no matter his age. 

It's a good position to be in though if those are the main two serious candidates. 
    I’d have thought it’s more that Warnock doesn’t want anything more than a short term role until the end of the season. At least for now.
    He seems keen to stay in the game, so not sure I believe he would turn down a full season. 
  • I'd rather we didnt sign someone for the short term, only to try and get someone else in the Summer - We need to be thinking about next season now, as well as trying to survive.

Otherwise its potentially another wasted season in League One.

Yes the alternative could be a season or more in League Two... But c'mon, we'll never progress as a Football Club again if we're fearfully looking over our shoulders.
  • a few years ago I'd have 100% had Warnock, now I think I'd rather have Jones of the two (more longer term vision). Surely Jones can keep this squad up comfortably and then have a real go at it next season?
  • Rothko said:
    Find the idea of short term with Warnock, when there are
    excellent long term options that will allow us to build, a bit silly and the football equivalent of a sugar rush 
    I can’t see the sense in it either. Who will be available in May/June that isn’t now? Why would they be any better than the managers available now?

As others said if a long term appointment can’t keep us up and do well beyond that then don’t appoint them.
  • Sponsored links:

• I just want out of this league, for me that is more likely under Warnock next season then Jones. 

Full support still behind Jones if he gets it though. 

• Warnock is the wrong appointment. 

Just means the cycle starts again in the summer or in a further 12 months. 

We have enough to stay up.  
    On paper undoubtedly. On the pitch is a different story.
  • Based on how our over staffed SMT operate on most other things they’ve probably outsourced the interview/decision making process to an agency.
  • Still think it’ll be the cowley brothers after being so close last time. 
  • edited February 1
    Have a feeling today could be a brilliant day!!

• Still think it’ll be the cowley brothers after being so close last time. 
    thankfully they’re unavailable and have found their level in L2
  • The longer this drags on the more fearful I get. Dreading a poor appointment and L2.