Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• ### NEW
    MANAGER ANNOUNCED ###

“Charlton Athletic have confirmed the appointment of…”

Will be the headline at some point.  Please give me a nudge when that happens.   
    I hope its Curbs
    Can’t see it myself Bert, I think he’s had his day.
  • Curbs has said he wouldn't want it hasn't he? He has said he is not up to speed as he was with current players. He certainly can give the club a lot of advice and that advice should be listened to, but I can't see him being a manager anywhere now.
  • edited January 31
    Curbs has said he wouldn't want it hasn't he? He has said he is not up to speed as he was with current players. He certainly can give the club a lot of advice and that advice should be listened to, but I can't see him being a manager anywhere now.
    I think he said ‘you can’t ask me that’ when Minto suggested he could do it. Curbs added that he’d been out a long time but tbh I read it more as he wouldn’t rule it out. I don’t think it’ll be Curbs but I’d love him to have some official involvement with the players/club.
  • edited January 31
    There with Ainsworth.

"Where are you going afterwards Gareth?"
    "Oh nothing exciting, just a little chat with a club about a project. And you?"
    "Oh something similar. You know how it is, keeping yourself busy and all that."

1 hour later they both get off the Jubilee Line at London Bridge, and try to avoid being spotted by the other one...

Ainsworth was at their campus in Manchester.
  • mart77 said:
    Curbs has said he wouldn't want it hasn't he? He has said he is not up to speed as he was with current players. He certainly can give the club a lot of advice and that advice should be listened to, but I can't see him being a manager anywhere now.
    I think he said ‘you can’t ask me that’ when Minto suggested he could do it. Curbs added that he’d been out a long time but tbh I read it more as he wouldn’t rule it out. I don’t think it’ll be Curbs but I’d love him to have some official involvement with the players/club.
    yes this is what happened, i hope your right about official involvement guess we will find out soon as the yanks are on there way to get it all sorted
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    The board don’t all agree on Jones, so maybe not as close as some think 
    When you say 'board' what individuals are you referring to ? (I realise you may not be intending to be literal with that label).

I find the description on the various announcements less than claer as to who our board comprises.

It could be a combination of all/any of the below (I think):

Managing Director: James Rodwell (Chairman)

Group Finance Director: Ed Warrick

Technical Director: Andy Scott

Non-Executive Director: Paul Elliott CBE MBE

Non-Executive Director: Gavin Carter 

Sporting Director Simon Lenagan

Steve Sutherland (as member of SMT)

PLUS the 'co-owners':

Co-Owners:

Gabriel Brener and family

Joshua Friedman and family

Warren Rosenfeld and family

ACA Football Partners

Munir Javeri

Charlie Methven

Marc Boyan

Since when has Lenegan been sporting director.. must missed that one being announced.. 

So he has been refereed to here as Technical Adviserhttps://www.charltonafc.com/news/global-football-partners-purchase-charlton-athletic

And here as Sporting Diretor: https://www.charltonafc.com/staff

Regardless who did you intend to refer to in your update?
    So not directly employed by Charlton, he is part of GFP. 

I would say it is a split on the U.K. board over Jones.
    My query though was who do you understand to be the (UK) Board?

Im not being facetious I just don’t know who that set of people are in the context of deciding the manager. 
    Methven, Carter, Rodwell, Elliot, Scott and Lenagan (which is a person who doesn't seems to be out the spot light, but seems to have a bigger say than most)
    Why so many clear digs at Lenagan? 

Seems like someone has decided who is going to be the fall guy already.
    That was my own observation.. believe it or not, Charlie actually doesn’t have that bigger say in the club.

• DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    When you say 'board' what individuals are you referring to ? (I realise you may not be intending to be literal with that label).

I find the description on the various announcements less than claer as to who our board comprises.

PLUS the 'co-owners':

Co-Owners:

ACA Football Partners

Munir Javeri

Charlie Methven

Marc Boyan

Since when has Lenegan been sporting director.. must missed that one being announced.. 

So he has been refereed to here as Technical Adviserhttps://www.charltonafc.com/news/global-football-partners-purchase-charlton-athletic

Im not being facetious I just don’t know who that set of people are in the context of deciding the manager. 
    Methven, Carter, Rodwell, Elliot, Scott and Lenagan (which is a person who doesn't seems to be out the spot light, but seems to have a bigger say than most)

That was my own observation.. believe it or not, Charlie actually doesn’t have that bigger say in the club.

"Just heard he is on the board, and is an investor. Not sure if that is directly with Charlton or Global Football Partners.. But what ever way, apparently it was him and Scott that held up the sacking on Sunday. 

Sounds like there is becoming a bit of a divide.. How you can have someone on the football side, on the board of directors is beyond me. "

This another one of your observations? Why such a bad impression of him? 
  • We're gonna try something quirky and employ 5 player- managers just before deadline window slams shut.

Revolutionary. 
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

PLUS the 'co-owners':

Co-Owners:

ACA Football Partners

Munir Javeri

Charlie Methven

Marc Boyan

"Just heard he is on the board, and is an investor. Not sure if that is directly with Charlton or Global Football Partners.. But what ever way, apparently it was him and Scott that held up the sacking on Sunday. 

Sounds like there is becoming a bit of a divide.. How you can have someone on the football side, on the board of directors is beyond me. "

This another one of your observations? Why such a bad impression of him? 
    He seems to have more power than most.. pretty clear what I posted.. so I don’t get your point.. only thing I can gather is you made your mind up already, that this group are bad, and Charlie makes all the decisions..

Bit like you did at the World Cup, when you kept going on about it won’t be a success and in correct stories about about deaths in the build of stadiums, and that the World Cup wouldn’t be a success..

You keep digging, you might find happiness one day
  • edited January 31
    Simon Francis Lenagan was until December  2023 a director of Wigan Sporting Club Limited  which, under its former name of Lenagan Investments, owned Wigan Rugby League club. He has also been a director of Oxford United FC until 2014. He is by trade an actor having appeared In Coronation Street  and Happy Valley. Whilst that does not disqualify him as a sporting director It does suggest that his main interest may lie elsewhere.

It may be that the Lenagan family investments may have switched into Global Football Partners and that the other investors in that business see him as someone with knowledge of sporting investment in the UK. Who knows?

However, in a closely controlled business with a few wealthy investors it is unlikely that terminating 2 chief operating officers within 6 months will have gone unnoticed by these investor shareholders and the delay in announcing the chosen candidate as COO/ Manager/Head coach is due to convincing these people (investors) that the right choice has been made this time around. Convincing disparate consortium members takes time and I guess Lenven and Methagain are spending a lot of their time on the phone to the US. Who knows, when the telephone melts we might see some white smoke!
  • I thought the decisions are made by those who hold the majority of the shareholding.
    If there is some mechanism that devolves the decision making to one person then I wonder who that person (or persons granted) is.
    Appleton was sacked by somebody, and the new manager/coach will be appointed by somebody.
    Is it reasonable that fans ask where the buck stops with regard to hiring and firing of Managers/Coaches?

• CM has no say in the running if the cash to running of the club how many times as this got to be said .. he won’t have input into the new manager or new players .. Jim Rodwell is the face of the  club for the owners … Andy Scott is technical director basically posh word for Head of Recuitment , he replaced Steve Gallen doing the same job  

• CM has no say in the running if the cash to running of the club how many times as this got to be said .. he won’t have input into the new manager or new players .. Jim Rodwell is the face of the  club for the owners … Andy Scott is technical director basically posh word for Head of Recuitment , he replaced Steve Gallen doing the same job  
    So the person who hires and fires the manager is Jim Rodwell.
    Have I got that right?
    Like he doesn't need to refer to anybody else to give the OK?
  • supaclive said:
    Evening all!
    I have bad news sadly
    Rowett won't be taking the job
    He is being paid by Millwall until end of August
    He is paid by Sky to do Soccer Saturday
    We are offering a fair whack for a team bottom 6 in Division 3
    But not as much as Rowett gets currently
    He also wanted to be Manager not Head Coach and have more control than was being offered

#preyforjones
    This is not bad news!
  • My millwall supporting in law reckons Rowett has the job. Don’t know how true or where it has come from but reckons there’s plenty of rambling about it their end.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    Evening all!
    I have bad news sadly
    He also wanted to be Manager not Head Coach and have more control than was being offered

#preyforjones
    Jones will turn us down next (hope not). 
  • My millwall supporting in law reckons Rowett has the job. Don’t know how true or where it has come from but reckons there’s plenty of rambling about it their end.
    It's a battle between @supaclive and @DeflectedWide to find out who is most ITK!
  • fenaddick said:
    My millwall supporting in law reckons Rowett has the job. Don’t know how true or where it has come from but reckons there’s plenty of rambling about it their end.
    It's a battle between @supaclive and @DeflectedWide to find out who is most ITK!
    He just called me up to tell me, may be nothing but just passing it on!
  • supaclive said:
    Evening all!
    I have bad news sadly

#preyforjones
    Jones will turn us down next (hope not). 
    Sorry to say this but I tend to feel the same as you and think we will end up with another nobody as manager. Hope I am wrong but have a bad feeling a out it. 
  • seth plum said:
    I thought the decisions are made by those who hold the majority of the shareholding.
    If there is some mechanism that devolves the decision making to one person then I wonder who that person (or persons granted) is.
    Appleton was sacked by somebody, and the new manager/coach will be appointed by somebody.
    Is it reasonable that fans ask where the buck stops with regard to hiring and firing of Managers/Coaches?

As with most businesses there will be an agreed delegation of authority but even in  listed entities, some decisions are reserved for shareholders to approve (known as class 1 transactions). Shareholders in listed companies can vote against the re-election of any director at the next general meeting. In the case of a consortium, whilst a shareholders agreement may dictate the delegated authority, it would be a foolish chief executive or chairman that does not consult the major shareholders about major decisions such as this.
  • Still wouldn't be surprised if it was Warburton. Would he have crossed paths with Scott at Brentford? 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Still wouldn't be surprised if it was Warburton. Would he have crossed paths with Scott at Brentford? 
    Think Warburton is more crossed  buns than paths 😆