Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• To use a car analogy, it appears that the owners bought a decent car, but it's service history was quite poor. They've very quickly changed the tyres, but thought they could save a few quid by buying a set of cheap used tyres. As the autumn came on they've found that grip wasn't good, so decided to change them, but due to poor advice and still not wanting to spend much they changed to a set of second hand remould tyres, that came with a good reputation in cold conditions. Well all winter they have been sliding all over the place, and had one too many scares that makes them think an accident is imminent. So now they find themselves back at the tyre shop with a decision. Quality costs, but it's still mid winter and the wallet now needs opening again. How much is enough to be safe?

Having spent twice on managers this season, a new manager will likely cost more than the last two, but to entice them, their salary will be higher, but more importantly, they are likely to be asking serious questions about the squad and how much strengthening will take place during their tenure, without which it could be very short.

If the owners were sold on the idea of ownership by the Wrexham fun house with packed crowds and promotions, they must now be feeling about as happy as a 90's timeshare owner. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Uboat said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I am not sure who feeds REAMS and Dubai (assume same person giving info to them both) but find it very odd just how much leaks from this club constantly since this mob took over.   It seems incredibly amateur and just causes upset most of the time. 

It's a week since Apple's was sacked, we were massively unlikely to have appointed someone by now and no one would be too disappointed, but because of the leaks there is a risk people end up that way.

It's weird and it's unprofessional imo.

Not a dig at people passing info here and elsewhere but a dig at the source of such info.
    Leaks have always happened, before this group it was easier to get information I would say.. Difference is, people have already made there mind up they don't like a certain person in this group, and will always look to pick holes.. 

Was never going to be a quick process to appoint a new manager, and was never a plan to do so, until Burton game, and they did actually sack him that night, but back tracked, well 2 out of board did.. 

To be honest, those two I think were bang out of order to allow Appleton to go through Tuesday game, knowing the toxic atmosphere..
    I just find it mind-boggling that someone is sharing this level of detail with you and is apparently happy with you putting it in the public domain. Doesn’t it make you wonder? 
    As a supporter I’m happy to be made aware of it, but there’s no way someone could get away with such a lack of professionalism in most work places. 
    Come on.. Chit chatter happens in every business.. Go out for a ciggy or on a work social.. It happens all the time.. Across every football club up and down the country..

People have got a problem with it, because they don't like certain people
    No, some people don't like and other do.

Some reason people don't like it, or at least the way it is done, is that it is unprofessional, it undermines what should be the club's proper comms strategy, the information isn't always correct and quite often it comes with a large degree of spin which positions the leaker, and the ultimate source is most definitely Methven even if he's not your direct source, as not having done anything wrong but always that is is other directors' fault or greedy agents/players/clubs to blame.

I understand all of that, but it is funny isn't when things use to be leaked from other owners directly or non, to people like yourself and Rick, it wasn't classed as unprofessional then.. Leaks have always happened, and will also continue to do so.. It is the way of the world.

People are digging because they don't like who it could be coming from, and making a big deal about it. 

For what it is worth, it is pretty quiet at the moment.
    This isn't about me or Rick though.

it's about Charlie Methven.  And you're right, some people don't like or trust him.

Some of that is irrational or just plain bonkers (Eton, red trousers, Oxford Utd) but a lot is rational and based on his track record at Sunderland and the way he constantly leaks to manipulate and perhaps ingratiate himself, something he did at Sunderland and has been doing here since before he took over.

I've met him, he comes over as a likable and enthusiastic guy who likes a laugh, but I'm judging him by his ability to run OUR football club professionally and successfully. 

And so far, he is failing on both counts.

If Jones doesn't now join us there is going to be a huge level of disappointment among many fans and in part that will have been caused by the briefings that Methven has been making when he should have kept schtum and just allowed a bland statement on the website of "Looking at a short list of impressive candidates but won't be saying anything until we're ready to announce, in the meantime we continue to look to strengthen the squad for the rest of the season and beyond."

Boring and not what the fans want to know but that would have been the professional communications thing to do and Methven is meant to be a communications professional.

PS WIOTOS wasn't always a bit of catchphrase/in-joke.  It was a reminder that gossip is just gossip but hard facts and announcements are what matter so don't rely too much on rumours and leaks and never take them 100% at face value.
    But point is, it was okay for other directors to leak news, and not be classed as unprofessional.. I would say Jones isn't something he is leaking, as from what I hear, he wouldn't be his choice.. 

At the end of the day, a lot of people don't like him because of his background, and education.. that is fact, and already have a strong opinion..

I would say, people need to listen to his podcast, and he speaks a lot of sense and understands business.. For me, this is a bump in the road in terms of long term future! I think they know how important this appointment is, and they need to be 100% and if there is any doubt in Jones, I would say don't appoint him
  • shirty5 said:
    This site sometimes 😤😤😤

we need a striker, any striker.....but not that one

the club is poor at communication, we need to
    know what is happening.....it's unprofessional to leak stuff to Dubai 

the last two managerial decisions have been bad, it needs to be right this time....why is it taking so long

ffs, we have become such a moaning fan base. 
    Are you moaning at the moaners? 
    Yes
  • edited January 31
    I may be wrong but I would think the new manager will not be appointed before Friday, that way he cannot interfere with any transfers and Scott will still have final say. Would expect Fleming to be in charge this weekend, whether we get a new manager this week or not. Hope I am wrong and we hear soon
  • This site sometimes 😤😤😤

the last two managerial decisions have been bad, it needs to be right this time....why is it taking so long

It might have something to do with just being a few points outside of the relegation places for league 2.
    Just saying. 
    It would be the same shit if we were a few points inside the play off places
  • This site sometimes 😤😤😤

Fair enough with the third one, not otherwise, no. 

People  don’t say, ‘we need a striker, any striker’ because that would be ridiculous. ‘We want a decent striker…not that one’ is a coherent and reasonable position. 

Good communication from the club is not the same as a director leaking details to random fans. I would have thought that was obvious. 
  • Good points gents in regards to the hold up could be on the potential new managers end, 

I am always of the mindset it's us causing the delay as that's been the case for us in the past, faffing about. 

Hopefully some good news, sooner rather than later. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 31
    If Nathan Jones wouldn’t be Methven’s first choice that’s a good thing for me - Methven knows f*ck all about football. 
    Sure Stoke fans would say the same about Jones & Rowett
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Good points gents in regards to the hold up could be on the potential new managers end, 

I am always of the mindset it's us causing the delay as that's been the case for us in the past, faffing about. 

Hopefully some good news, sooner rather than later. 
    I reckon you will hear something before the end of the week.. I believe they have the man, but just ironing out the details. Who it is, I haven't been told.

Would also say, potentially highest paid manager for a good number of years!! 
    You’d hope they’re being paid well given inflation! Those poor football managers have bills to pay too 
  • Addick_8 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    And for those saying there would be an announcement today, I wouldn't say so.. Focus is bring players in next day or so. I don't believe we will have someone before weekend.. For the Reading game, I would say we will have new manager..
    So after signing a load of rubbish because we didn’t have a manager in August, we are going to do the exact same this deadline day. 

That delay in sacking Appleton could really cost us here. We needed a new manager in before the deadline. It just looks so amateur/incompetent to go into 2 deadline days with no manager, especially after the first went so badly 
    They then appointed Appleton, who just like those late signings were cheap options.

Not having a manager probably won’t help, but players also know managers get sacked all the time. Budget is likely the bigger factor, and that appears to have been increased from the signings we’ve made and managers were talking to.
    This.. Players in league one rarely sign just for the manager.. They may say it in the interview, that the manager had a big part to play.. That is all smoke and mirrors!
    This is nonsense. 
    Of course, managers play a part in a player's decision!

That’s exactly what he is saying, they can play a part in the players decision making but other factors come into play also
  • edited January 31
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Uboat said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I am not sure who feeds REAMS and Dubai (assume same person giving info to them both) but find it very odd just how much leaks from this club constantly since this mob took over.   It seems incredibly amateur and just causes upset most of the time. 

It's a week since Apple's was sacked, we were massively unlikely to have appointed someone by now and no one would be too disappointed, but because of the leaks there is a risk people end up that way.

Not a dig at people passing info here and elsewhere but a dig at the source of such info.
    Leaks have always happened, before this group it was easier to get information I would say.. Difference is, people have already made there mind up they don't like a certain person in this group, and will always look to pick holes.. 

Was never going to be a quick process to appoint a new manager, and was never a plan to do so, until Burton game, and they did actually sack him that night, but back tracked, well 2 out of board did.. 

To be honest, those two I think were bang out of order to allow Appleton to go through Tuesday game, knowing the toxic atmosphere..
    I just find it mind-boggling that someone is sharing this level of detail with you and is apparently happy with you putting it in the public domain. Doesn’t it make you wonder? 
    As a supporter I’m happy to be made aware of it, but there’s no way someone could get away with such a lack of professionalism in most work places. 
    Come on.. Chit chatter happens in every business.. Go out for a ciggy or on a work social.. It happens all the time.. Across every football club up and down the country..

Some reason people don't like it, or at least the way it is done, is that it is unprofessional, it undermines what should be the club's proper comms strategy, the information isn't always correct and quite often it comes with a large degree of spin which positions the leaker, and the ultimate source is most definitely Methven even if he's not your direct source, as not having done anything wrong but always that is is other directors' fault or greedy agents/players/clubs to blame.

I understand all of that, but it is funny isn't when things use to be leaked from other owners directly or non, to people like yourself and Rick, it wasn't classed as unprofessional then.. Leaks have always happened, and will also continue to do so.. It is the way of the world.

People are digging because they don't like who it could be coming from, and making a big deal about it. 

it's about Charlie Methven.  And you're right, some people don't like or trust him.

Some of that is irrational or just plain bonkers (Eton, red trousers, Oxford Utd) but a lot is rational and based on his track record at Sunderland and the way he constantly leaks to manipulate and perhaps ingratiate himself, something he did at Sunderland and has been doing here since before he took over.

I've met him, he comes over as a likable and enthusiastic guy who likes a laugh, but I'm judging him by his ability to run OUR football club professionally and successfully. 

If Jones doesn't now join us there is going to be a huge level of disappointment among many fans and in part that will have been caused by the briefings that Methven has been making when he should have kept schtum and just allowed a bland statement on the website of "Looking at a short list of impressive candidates but won't be saying anything until we're ready to announce, in the meantime we continue to look to strengthen the squad for the rest of the season and beyond."

Boring and not what the fans want to know but that would have been the professional communications thing to do and Methven is meant to be a communications professional.

PS WIOTOS wasn't always a bit of catchphrase/in-joke.  It was a reminder that gossip is just gossip but hard facts and announcements are what matter so don't rely too much on rumours and leaks and never take them 100% at face value.
    But point is, it was okay for other directors to leak news, and not be classed as unprofessional.. I would say Jones isn't something he is leaking, as from what I hear, he wouldn't be his choice.. 

At the end of the day, a lot of people don't like him because of his background, and education.. that is fact, and already have a strong opinion..

I would say, people need to listen to his podcast, and he speaks a lot of sense and understands business.. For me, this is a bump in the road in terms of long term future! I think they know how important this appointment is, and they need to be 100% and if there is any doubt in Jones, I would say don't appoint him
    This bit I don't know that agree with. As all of the debating and arguments show, this perfect coach who no-one doubts DOES NOT EXIST. Literally every choice has some arguments for and against, some more convincing than others yes but there's not one person out there going to make everyone totally happy.

Obviously that doesn't mean we just give up and give it to another Appleton type but if we can get someone (anyone really) that both board and owners are willing to give a chance to, that's probably as good as it gets.
  • edited January 31
    Andy Scott isn't an amateur. Look at his football CV, unfortunately he hired Appleton so it has a stain that he may wish to remove; No he can't. 
    For Andy Scott to have any future at Cafc he has to get Jones, Warnock or even Rowett (who I thought wanted to head away from London to Derbyshire and Huddersfield would be doable and his best option)

Jones and Cafc are both quirky and just may work to stop the slide and some steps to the height of mid table which really will be ok after the clusterfeck of a season so far.
    Top six next season with a galvanised side should be mandatory for 24/25 season.

• Andy Scott isn't an amateur. Look at his football CV, unfortunately he hired Appleton so it has a stain that he may wish to remove; No he can't. 
    For Andy Scott to have any future at Cafc he has to get Jones, Warnock or even Rowett (who I thought wanted to head away from London to Derbyshire and Huddersfield would be doable and his best option)

Jones and Cafc are both quirky and just may work to stop the slide and some steps to the height of mid table which really will be ok after the clusterfeck of a season so far.
    Top six next season with a galvanised side should be mandatory for 24/25 season.

I don't think that is the only stain on his copybook regarding his time here.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Uboat said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

You are Charlie Methven and I claim the prize.

You are Chalky White and I claim the prize!
    Only problem is I don't have a daily mirror 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    I think a lot of people don't like Methven because they watched the Sunderland documentary and saw for themselves that he's a pig ignorant BSer who talks to his staff like shit.
    Went to Eton so covers that and more.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Uboat said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

You are Charlie Methven and I claim the prize.
    Alexa. What is a vassal?
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    If Nathan Jones wouldn’t be Methven’s first choice that’s a good thing for me - Methven knows f*ck all about football. 
    Sure Stoke fans would say the same about Jones & Rowett
    Probably says more that two good managers haven’t done much there. 
  • cfgs said:
    Jones is a bit mad. But a bit of lunacy helps if associated with Charlton Athletic.
    Absolutely, why didn’t we support Man City I keep asking myself.
  • JamesSeed said:
    I know the reality is that we’re not that attractive a proposition currently but for me all the names being mentioned are still basically punts. All recently in employment in 2023 yet all currently out of work. The exception for me is Warnock who right up front isn’t a long term option but would fit our circumstances perfectly. Impact manager to get us out of relegation trouble and has eight (?) promotions so could set us up for next season and give the club the opportunity to do a proper recruitment instead of choosing from what is a small and not that inspiring pool of unemployed managers. I’m not enthusiastic about any of the names likely to get the gig.

The sad reality is we are not an inspiring club to come to.
    I won't blame the damaged fans as most are having therapy or are on the waiting list.

I had Cognitive behaviour Therapy* a decade ago after the spinning plates came crashing down together but unfortunately when I needed to do some revision last week as under pressure a tad(aren't we all) seeing CBT on the folder made me shed a tear !

Laughter is a good therapy but when depression strikes it's the 1st thing that goes missing. Pleased that so many on here still have a wonderful gallows sense of humour as without it life is just too heavy.

* Not for everyone but worked for me.
    Is it where the ‘win every match’ thing came from? 😉

James !
    Do me a favour, 'Win every match' is the mantra from the one and only Seth Plum. I say one but that doesn't include the original.

Interesting facts about Seth Plum who came from north of the Thames. 
    Played one international for England but unfortunately left Charlton and joined Chelsea and later at Southend United.

Seth relocated back to Tottenham, and worked as a petrol pump attendant in the 60's until he ran out of gas and sadly passed away in 1969 at 70 years old. 
    Is this a seance? Do they have the internet on the other side?
  • shirty5 said:
    This site sometimes 😤😤😤

Are you moaning at the moaners? 
    Yes
    why are standing on the fence again?

• Top six next season with a galvanised side should be mandatory for 24/25 season.

Indeed it should, especially when in League 2. 
  • I have never seen the Sunderland documentary and don't care what school he attended or the colour of his trousers, I dislike the Methven involvement because he has clearly been running a sly campaign of spin and outright lies to us fans since before he got his feet under the table. 

Try not treating the fanbase like morons and we might reciprocate that feeling. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I hope we are quite advanced with any of the major candidates that have been mentioned as Huddersfield have just sacked Darren Moore, that could throw a spanner in the works if it's Jones,Duff,Eustace being interviewed by us. 
    Spanner in the works, did you say…

Haha I see what you did there! No I wasn't making a coded reference about an ex Spanner manager , although given where he lives I wouldn't be surprised if Huddersfield did interview him.