Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    jondon76 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    And for those saying there would be an announcement today, I wouldn't say so.. Focus is bring players in next day or so. I don't believe we will have someone before weekend.. For the Reading game, I would say we will have new manager..
    So after signing a load of rubbish because we didn’t have a manager in August, we are going to do the exact same this deadline day. 

That delay in sacking Appleton could really cost us here. We needed a new manager in before the deadline. It just looks so amateur/incompetent to go into 2 deadline days with no manager, especially after the first went so badly 
    They then appointed Appleton, who just like those late signings were cheap options.

Not having a manager probably won’t help, but players also know managers get sacked all the time. Budget is likely the bigger factor, and that appears to have been increased from the signings we’ve made and managers were talking to.
    This.. Players in league one rarely sign just for the manager.. They may say it in the interview, that the manager had a big part to play.. That is all smoke and mirrors!
    Come on its a big help if we have a manager in place. 
    Of course, but to say players come to a club because of a manager isn't correct either.. $$ and there role with in team is the key factors. 
    Surely a modern footballer understands how foolish it would be to sign just because of a manager. A manager is rarely at a club longer than 12 month nowadays. 
    100% there are the odd players that follow managers from club to club, or players managers always want.. But if that player had better money on the table, or a relationship with a manager 8 times out 10 they would go down the money path
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    And for those saying there would be an announcement today, I wouldn't say so.. Focus is bring players in next day or so. I don't believe we will have someone before weekend.. For the Reading game, I would say we will have new manager..
    So after signing a load of rubbish because we didn’t have a manager in August, we are going to do the exact same this deadline day. 

That delay in sacking Appleton could really cost us here. We needed a new manager in before the deadline. It just looks so amateur/incompetent to go into 2 deadline days with no manager, especially after the first went so badly 
    They then appointed Appleton, who just like those late signings were cheap options.

Not having a manager probably won’t help, but players also know managers get sacked all the time. Budget is likely the bigger factor, and that appears to have been increased from the signings we’ve made and managers were talking to.
    This.. Players in league one rarely sign just for the manager.. They may say it in the interview, that the manager had a big part to play.. That is all smoke and mirrors!
    This is nonsense. 
    Of course, managers play a part in a player's decision!

• DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    jondon76 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Come on its a big help if we have a manager in place. 
    Of course, but to say players come to a club because of a manager isn't correct either.. $$ and there role with in team is the key factors. 
    Surely a modern footballer understands how foolish it would be to sign just because of a manager. A manager is rarely at a club longer than 12 month nowadays. 
    100% there are the odd players that follow managers from club to club, or players managers always want.. But if that player had better money on the table, or a relationship with a manager 8 times out 10 they would go down the money path
    Makes perfect sense. Just look at Egbo, signed for us to play for Garner binned off under Holden. Signs for Colchester to play for Garner…Garner sacked again. 

Can’t imagine he’ll make that mistake again
  • Addick_8 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

This is nonsense. 

That's right a player going to accept 3 grand a week less, to go and play with a manager... 
  • edited January 31
    I personally don't understand the hold up, Appleton was sacked over a week ago, you have to assume there were discussions had prior to it happening. His demeanour against Northampton and the players reactions suggested it.

So surely there was candidates lined up? What is there to interview and does it really take this long? There's about 5 candidates that would be very decent, this shouldn't be a difficult decision. There's only so much you can ask a manager as it isn't like an ordinary job, their work ethics and results are very public. Pay the going rate and that's that. 

If we don't end up with the likes of Jones, Rowett, Warnock etc, I'll be extremely disappointed as it's what we need to progress, it can't be another cheap option or we are fucked. 

The cynic in me is starting to think we won't end up with what we want. I don't believe it will be someone shit like Lee Johnson, but I am also starting to think it won't be someone as glamorous as Rowett or Jones, fully expecting a middle ground option, whoever that is. 
  • edited January 31
    It's going to be ol Bob Peeters isn't it 

Big Bob set his teams up in a rigid formation and relied on sharp strikers to take their chances: that worked well when  Igor was fit and scoring and we were the last team to lose in October BUT once the goals dried up the wins turned into Draws and losses.

When Rhoys Wiggins said he was told to hold his defensive position unless we had the game already won you realised that the great sight of Wiggins doing his jinking runs were put on ice. From memory it was 4-4-2 formation nine years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 31
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Addick_8 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

This is nonsense. 

That's right a player going to accept 3 grand a week less, to go and play with a manager... 
    Yep, just like Lyle Taylor did.

I have (luckily) mixed with many ex-Charlton players especially while we had Bowyer. I know for a fact, that 2 of our better players that year joined and signed on because of the manager and wanted to play under Bowyer. The source on that was the players themselves (while we were chatting during a 4-ball golf day)
    Another example is that I know Lyle also joined us on 4K a week and had 3 offers that were all offering more than us.
    Managers do have an impact. You may have a solid source about the SMT which I think they are leaking on purpose (which would be bonkers by the way) but when it comes down to players, I know what I am talking about.
  • Since Lee Bowyer left in 2021, excluding caretakers, our managers have lasted (including cups)....
    Nigel Adkins..... 7 months, 26 matches
    Johnnie Jackson.... 7 months, 40 matches
    Ben Garner...... 6 months, 29 matches
    Dean Holden..... 8 months, 32 matches
    Michael Appleton..... 5 months, 29 matches
    Including caretakers, since 2014 we've had 16 managers. In a decade.
    That's as many managers as CAFC had in total (including caretakers) from 1967 to 2014. 47 years.

Q. Who has had the most managers/head coaches/caretakers since 2014:

Charlton or Watford 🤔
  • Addick_8 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

This is nonsense. 

I think the salient point is that we DON'T have a manager at the moment.  It's one thing choosing to get into a boat with Captain Bligh or Fletcher Christian but its another one deciding to get into a rudderless one  !!
  • Addick_8 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

This is nonsense. 

I think the salient point is that we DON'T have a manager at the moment.  It's one thing choosing to get into a boat with Captain Bligh or Fletcher Christian but its another one deciding to get into a rudderless one  !!
    Which hasn't and won't work. Andy Scott deciding everything for a team whose performance alone, should be in the bottom 4 and it's only because of a points deduction that they are not is ludicrous. He should have gone with Appleton. The manager needs to have a say on players and now we are in a position where we can't do that and leave to the one who built a squad that is in a relegation battle.
  • Addick_8 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

This is nonsense. 

Nice nautical analogies there. We all need to move on from house buying.  
  • So to become the next manager at Charlton you might need to possess the following:-

Excellent Leadership
    Tactical Skills
    Excellent Game Knowledge
    And a bonus of Experience in the job

Not seen any of these for a long while!

Then again if the people at the helm of this rudderless ship do not have the nous or skill set, then we are clearly going back to square 1!

• If Jones is speaking with the club this afternoon or perhaps tomorrow, would this be a first or second chat ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Addick_8 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

This is nonsense. 

Nice nautical analogies there. We all need to move on from to house buying  boats.
    Fixed that for you Grumps 😉.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Uboat said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I am not sure who feeds REAMS and Dubai (assume same person giving info to them both) but find it very odd just how much leaks from this club constantly since this mob took over.   It seems incredibly amateur and just causes upset most of the time. 

It's a week since Apple's was sacked, we were massively unlikely to have appointed someone by now and no one would be too disappointed, but because of the leaks there is a risk people end up that way.

It's weird and it's unprofessional imo.

Not a dig at people passing info here and elsewhere but a dig at the source of such info.
    Leaks have always happened, before this group it was easier to get information I would say.. Difference is, people have already made there mind up they don't like a certain person in this group, and will always look to pick holes.. 

Was never going to be a quick process to appoint a new manager, and was never a plan to do so, until Burton game, and they did actually sack him that night, but back tracked, well 2 out of board did.. 

To be honest, those two I think were bang out of order to allow Appleton to go through Tuesday game, knowing the toxic atmosphere..
    I just find it mind-boggling that someone is sharing this level of detail with you and is apparently happy with you putting it in the public domain. Doesn’t it make you wonder? 
    As a supporter I’m happy to be made aware of it, but there’s no way someone could get away with such a lack of professionalism in most work places. 
    Come on.. Chit chatter happens in every business.. Go out for a ciggy or on a work social.. It happens all the time.. Across every football club up and down the country..

People have got a problem with it, because they don't like certain people
    Someone on the board is sharing details of what has gone on in those meetings. That’s not chit chat. I am part of the senior leadership team at my workplace and there is no way I would be saying, ‘We were all in favour of doing x apart from these two, who blocked it’ and I very much doubt the others would either - and I don’t work in a business where there is interest in what’s going on. I just find it so indiscreet. 
    Keep it coming though 😉
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Uboat said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I am not sure who feeds REAMS and Dubai (assume same person giving info to them both) but find it very odd just how much leaks from this club constantly since this mob took over.   It seems incredibly amateur and just causes upset most of the time. 

It's a week since Apple's was sacked, we were massively unlikely to have appointed someone by now and no one would be too disappointed, but because of the leaks there is a risk people end up that way.

It's weird and it's unprofessional imo.

Not a dig at people passing info here and elsewhere but a dig at the source of such info.
    Leaks have always happened, before this group it was easier to get information I would say.. Difference is, people have already made there mind up they don't like a certain person in this group, and will always look to pick holes.. 

Was never going to be a quick process to appoint a new manager, and was never a plan to do so, until Burton game, and they did actually sack him that night, but back tracked, well 2 out of board did.. 

To be honest, those two I think were bang out of order to allow Appleton to go through Tuesday game, knowing the toxic atmosphere..
    I just find it mind-boggling that someone is sharing this level of detail with you and is apparently happy with you putting it in the public domain. Doesn’t it make you wonder? 
    As a supporter I’m happy to be made aware of it, but there’s no way someone could get away with such a lack of professionalism in most work places. 
    Come on.. Chit chatter happens in every business.. Go out for a ciggy or on a work social.. It happens all the time.. Across every football club up and down the country..

People have got a problem with it, because they don't like certain people
    Why not deal solely through official channels?
  • edited January 31
    ButtleJR said:

Maybe this explains the delay for his second interview, may as well do it today when he's due in London anyway...
    Not to undermine your post, as I understand your logic, but do you know how daft it would be for a professional football club to treat this as a two birds one stone situation? (Aimed at them, if this was the case)

Our clubs future is on the line here, we can't afford to waste days and ensure everything is all conveniently timed. He should be our number 1 priority and vice versa. 

I get where you're coming from but it would be absolutely outrageous for the club to wait over something like that, to make sure Jones gets his moneys worth in train fares.

Unless of course it's already done and today was a good day for the media stuff.

Cawly doesn't say it's not happening today.

He is replying to a question about it being today and he say's he's not heard that.

Not the same thing.
    I am assuming it won't happen today based on that, feel like Rich would have heard. Will edit
  • edited January 31
    ButtleJR said:

Maybe this explains the delay for his second interview, may as well do it today when he's due in London anyway...
    Not to undermine your post, as I understand your logic, but do you know how daft it would be for a professional football club to treat this as a two birds one stone situation? (Aimed at them, if this was the case)

Our clubs future is on the line here, we can't afford to waste days and ensure everything is all conveniently timed. He should be our number 1 priority and vice versa. 

I get where you're coming from but it would be absolutely outrageous for the club to wait over something like that, to make sure Jones gets his moneys worth in train fares.

Unless of course it's already done and today was a good day for the media stuff.

Cawly doesn't say it's not happening today.

He is replying to a question about it being today and he say's he's not heard that.

Not the same thing.
    I am assuming it won't happen today based on that, feel like Rich would have heard. Will edit
    Was only speculating on the above. To be honest I doubt we will have a new manager in by tomorrow. I hope we do, but think we have other priorities ahead of the deadline.