Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Knew it was too good to be true that we would sign a half decent manager straight away and give ourselves half a chance of getting out of this shit. Jones will get pissed off with waiting for an answer and we will end up with someone like Appleton. Same old Charlton.
    Based on? The search for a new manager started last Wednesday. In that time the board would have had to advertise, discard the crap, approach managers, speak to agents, book interviews, reduce the short list, arrange second interviews, make an offer etc.

we are 5 working days into the process. Why would jones get pissed off?

realistically, how long would you expect the process to take?

you do realise that katrien didn't really interview 300 managers in 17!minutes.
    No need to advertise. Should already have a shortlist of four/five you would like. Just go get the best of that list that you can. And the search should have started before last Wednesday, he was effectively sacked at the weekend before.
  • I'm disappointed they haven't appointed anyone as yet and if Cawley is correct and Jones has yet to have his planned meeting this week then even more so, suggests no appointment before the weekend.

You would think that any SMT worth their salt on seeing the team not having won for say eight games would start to consider what alternatives are out there should they have to pull the trigger in three, four, five games time. In fact, they should always surely have a constantly evolving list of those who they would be interested in, whether in or out of work. Considering the position we are in then it's imperative they get someone in asap although of course they need to get the right person.

At the moment it just feels to me like they are dragging their heels.
    Spot on. Any half decent club has a list of head coaches they want. The next head coach should have been in the day after Appleton was sacked. 
  • colthe3rd said:
    so, Nathan Jones gets appointed tomorrow & then we scrabbling around for half a dozen of "his" players before 11pm on Thursday. Great planning guys. 
    Come on now let's not be silly, deals take weeks from start to finish so the idea that anyone coming in after the sacking of Appleton who would have much a say in any transfers is ridiculous thinking. Surely this manager is being appointed based on can you get us out of the shit with this bunch of players and then we'll back you in the summer.
    Maybe the reason why Jones hasn't been announced as he's taken one look at our squad & laughed. Currently we have a team full of duff defenders & too many non attacking midfielders. Combine that with   no wingers I have no clue where the goals are going to come from.

Oh yes I do......Own Goals. 2 out of the last 3. As the kids of today say.....Epic. 
    Why would he bother going for 2 interviews if that was the case? More likely would be that after meeting the SMT he's thought you're a bunch of clowns fuck this. Charlie can then leak to his mates that Jones wasn't their first choice anyway.
  • I'm disappointed they haven't appointed anyone as yet and if Cawley is correct and Jones has yet to have his planned meeting this week then even more so, suggests no appointment before the weekend.

You would think that any SMT worth their salt on seeing the team not having won for say eight games would start to consider what alternatives are out there should they have to pull the trigger in three, four, five games time. In fact, they should always surely have a constantly evolving list of those who they would be interested in, whether in or out of work. Considering the position we are in then it's imperative they get someone in asap although of course they need to get the right person.

Spot on. Any half decent club has a list of head coaches they want. The next head coach should have been in the day after Appleton was sacked. 
    Lots of half decent teams have either sacked or lost a manager and had to have a caretaker manager in whilst they find a replacement.

It’s really not that unusual a process.

Most teams know who they want. Interviewing multiple candidates is pretty amateur.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 30
    I'm disappointed they haven't appointed anyone as yet and if Cawley is correct and Jones has yet to have his planned meeting this week then even more so, suggests no appointment before the weekend.

Lots of half decent teams have either sacked or lost a manager and had to have a caretaker manager in whilst they find a replacement.

Most teams know who they want. Interviewing multiple candidates is pretty amateur.
    I don’t think that is true. For example 

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/millwall-kevin-muscat-manager-search-b1116779.html

I don’t think that is true. For example 

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/millwall-kevin-muscat-manager-search-b1116779.html
    As he said. Amateurs 
  • If we don’t appoint a manager tomorrow then the owners have fucked up again. Surely they should have learned from August? We could all see that Appleton was not going to work and were calling for the sacking for weeks. They left it late and that will now impact what we can do before the window shuts 

Going into deadline day twice in the same season without a manager screams incompetence 

No it’s pretty standard practice. 

A quick glance on the Huddersfield Forum, who have not got a manger the day after Moore was sacked, and they reckon they are interviewing 9 different managers.
  • Interesting if Jones hasn't even had a second meeting this week , would be a bit worried about deadline day if nothing got formalised tomorrow. 

A quick glance on the Huddersfield Forum, who have not got a manger the day after Moore was sacked, and they reckon they are interviewing 9 different managers.
    Could see Rowett going to Huddersfield. 

Could see Rowett going to Huddersfield. 
    Only if we don't offer him the job......
  • This ownership love hate rollercoaster is making me want to throw up

• Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    If we don’t appoint a manager tomorrow then the owners have fucked up again. Surely they should have learned from August? We could all see that Appleton was not going to work and were calling for the sacking for weeks. They left it late and that will now impact what we can do before the window shuts 

Going into deadline day twice in the same season without a manager screams incompetence 
     Really wouldn't bother me if they got one in tomorrow or not. As long as it's the right one then I'm happy to wait.
    One of the reasons they f***d up last time because there really wasn't anyone suitable available. Whether they felt the fans would be on there back if they didn't put someone in place I don't know? But the whole thing seemed rushed and I don't think anyone was convinced about Appleton from the start, and I Include Scott in that.

It's only been a week since Appleton left, and it's not as if Nathan Jones or whoever being unveiled at The Valley today would make much difference to the last 2 days of the window anyway. I'd rather take slightly longer and make the right appointment.

No player is going to sign to Charlton just because of the manager, as managers come and go so quickly these days. I'm sure Holden wasn't the reason Alfie May joined us for example.
  • DPFC said:
    Zola lives in Bickley.  Mick Mcarthy lives in Chislehurst 
    I thought zola lived in chislehurst and McCarthy in farnborough village!  
    Paul Elliott lives in Farnborough Village and McCarthy in Chislehurst.  Thought Zola lived in Chelsfied, as did Gus Poyet.

Ben Reeves and Kishishev both lived in Bickely (in the roads either side of mine) when they were with the club.

You can't pop out for a pint of milk around here without bumping into a pro footballer.
    Mark Fish also lived in Chislehurst……Lower Camden near The Bickley Arms I believe.
    It’s where he fell onto a glass coffee table and seriously injured himself…..in fact he might have died had he fallen in a different position!
    There were “rumours” he was pissed at the time, I repeat  “rumours.”
  • iamdan said:
    Has anyone done a Klopp joke yet?
    I presume 74 different people have made the attempted joke about his brother Klipperty.
    I got in with it early doors and got 11 LOL’S.🤭
  • Can people please adhere to the very polite request of @AFKABartram
    Where do you live Elfie? 🙄
  • so, Nathan Jones gets appointed tomorrow & then we scrabbling around for half a dozen of "his" players before 11pm on Thursday. Great planning guys. 
    There only be two more players .. max 3 with one or two young players going out , new manager might want a couple of loans , if we have the space 

Aneke and Camara ahead of schedule changed our thinking towards the window .. 
    Fcuk me sideways
  • NabySarr said:
    If we don’t appoint a manager tomorrow then the owners have fucked up again. Surely they should have learned from August? We could all see that Appleton was not going to work and were calling for the sacking for weeks. They left it late and that will now impact what we can do before the window shuts 

Would you have rather kept Appleton just to say we have someone on a deadline day?
  • edited January 31
    Since Lee Bowyer left in 2021, excluding caretakers, our managers have lasted (including cups)....
    Nigel Adkins..... 7 months, 26 matches
    Johnnie Jackson.... 7 months, 40 matches
    Ben Garner...... 6 months, 29 matches
    Dean Holden..... 8 months, 32 matches
    Michael Appleton..... 5 months, 29 matches
    Including caretakers, since 2014 we've had 16 managers. In a decade.
    That's as many managers as CAFC had in total (including caretakers) from 1967 to 2014. 47 years.