Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    I am not sure who feeds REAMS and Dubai (assume same person giving info to them both) but find it very odd just how much leaks from this club constantly since this mob took over.   It seems incredibly amateur and just causes upset most of the time. 

It's a week since Apple's was sacked, we were massively unlikely to have appointed someone by now and no one would be too disappointed, but because of the leaks there is a risk people end up that way.

It's weird and it's unprofessional imo.

Not a dig at people passing info here and elsewhere but a dig at the source of such info.
    Leaks have always happened, before this group it was easier to get information I would say.. Difference is, people have already made there mind up they don't like a certain person in this group, and will always look to pick holes.. 

Was never going to be a quick process to appoint a new manager, and was never a plan to do so, until Burton game, and they did actually sack him that night, but back tracked, well 2 out of board did.. 

To be honest, those two I think were bang out of order to allow Appleton to go through Tuesday game, knowing the toxic atmosphere..
    Just because it has been easier, as you say, to gain information in the past, that doesn’t make it healthy now with the constant amount of leaking from within the club to outside sources. 

I know it is a time of social media etc. where people want/expect instant updates and news. Personally, just think it is more professional to have discussions and make decisions within the board, before sharing tidbits every day to be shared on forums etc. 
  • Jones 2/9
    Duff 4/1

Two horse race now.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Also just to clarify, there are no cracks on the board, there might be disagreements on appointments of managers or sacking managers, but that doesn't mean there are cracks or falling outs.. It is actually health to have differing opinions and ideas on the table.. And some might not agree.. But if the majority agree, they will go with it..

If you ask me, do I think they will appoint Jones,50/50 but I wouldn't write off Rowett
    Still, sacking someone and then not sacking someone without a consensus is pretty amateur.
    May have not been sacked him to his face, but in terms of agreement of the board.. And timelines of when things were due to happen.. 
    if we all knew, then Appleton knew.
    100% as I mentioned earlier, was bang out of order, allowing him to go in to that Tuesday game
    What a bunch of amateurs! I was fearful going into this season with the boards bad reputation but I never imagined we’d be in a relegation fight and looking for our 3rd manager of the season in January. This lot are a disaster, Sack the board!
  • masicat said:
    Jones 2/9
    Duff 4/1

Two horse race now.
    Where have you seen those odds ?
  • edited January 31
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Also just to clarify, there are no cracks on the board, there might be disagreements on appointments of managers or sacking managers, but that doesn't mean there are cracks or falling outs.. It is actually health to have differing opinions and ideas on the table.. And some might not agree.. But if the majority agree, they will go with it..

If you ask me, do I think they will appoint Jones,50/50 but I wouldn't write off Rowett
    Still, sacking someone and then not sacking someone without a consensus is pretty amateur.
    May have not been sacked him to his face, but in terms of agreement of the board.. And timelines of when things were due to happen.. 
    100% as I mentioned earlier, was bang out of order, allowing him to go in to that Tuesday game
    Out of interest, do you think he would've been sacked last Tuesday regardless of the result?

As you say,out of order to send him out for the game if that was the case 
    Yes.. I believe so. Scott thought they might be able to get win with him in charge.
    The fact the comms were all lined up and published within minutes after the match ended shows that his sacking was planned & he was going no matter what.
    Was only a few sentences though. If it was all pre-planned it might have been a bit better thought out. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    And for those saying there would be an announcement today, I wouldn't say so.. Focus is bring players in next day or so. I don't believe we will have someone before weekend.. For the Reading game, I would say we will have new manager..
    So after signing a load of rubbish because we didn’t have a manager in August, we are going to do the exact same this deadline day. 

That delay in sacking Appleton could really cost us here. We needed a new manager in before the deadline. It just looks so amateur/incompetent to go into 2 deadline days with no manager, especially after the first went so badly 
    They then appointed Appleton, who just like those late signings were cheap options.

Not having a manager probably won’t help, but players also know managers get sacked all the time. Budget is likely the bigger factor, and that appears to have been increased from the signings we’ve made and managers were talking to.
    But how often have we signed players that the next manager is then not happy with and doesn’t use? It was obvious Appleton was going to be sacked, if we’d done it a bit earlier we could have got a manager in to influence tomorrow so that we sign players he will actually use 
    Too much because we appointed managers with completely different styles of play and formation preferences. Shouldn’t be as much of an issue now if we appoint a better manager we can stick with for longer and sign better players to properly back that manager.

The main issue was picking Appleton in the first place which was down to the budget we had for managers. As well as lacking the ability as manager he also didn’t have the personality or connection to the club which would have got more fans behind him and bought him more time. Didn’t have the squad to carry him either, summed up by how badly the loans worked out.
  • Not getting rid of Appleton weeks ago when it was obvious he was not up to the job was a mistake. 
    Not having a replacement lined up to take over was another mistake. 
    But when it's  Andy Scott in charge of things I'm really not surprised. 
    The sooner our American owners realise that he is incompetent and replace him the better. 
    Under this clown we are sleepwalking into league Two.
    Cawley’s said managerial appointments aren’t entirely down to Scott, the ownership is involved in those decisions too. Makes sense as it explains the confusion over whether Appleton had been sacked or not.
  • Just skimmed 292 posts to find out....nothing has changed since yesterday. Hopefully more meaningful progress today. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:

What about Neil? 
    Was it not you who said they were impressed with his interview?

• Sponsored links:

• Since Lee Bowyer left in 2021, excluding caretakers, our managers have lasted (including cups)....
    Nigel Adkins..... 7 months, 26 matches
    Johnnie Jackson.... 7 months, 40 matches
    Ben Garner...... 6 months, 29 matches
    Dean Holden..... 8 months, 32 matches
    Michael Appleton..... 5 months, 29 matches
    Including caretakers, since 2014 we've had 16 managers. In a decade.
    That's as many managers as CAFC had in total (including caretakers) from 1967 to 2014. 47 years.

The difference is when Roland was in charge we had a decent squad. Since he left the squad quality plummeted and then 5 managers got the blame for it. Not that im a Roland fan, just saying.
  • jondon76 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    And for those saying there would be an announcement today, I wouldn't say so.. Focus is bring players in next day or so. I don't believe we will have someone before weekend.. For the Reading game, I would say we will have new manager..
    So after signing a load of rubbish because we didn’t have a manager in August, we are going to do the exact same this deadline day. 

That delay in sacking Appleton could really cost us here. We needed a new manager in before the deadline. It just looks so amateur/incompetent to go into 2 deadline days with no manager, especially after the first went so badly 
    They then appointed Appleton, who just like those late signings were cheap options.

Not having a manager probably won’t help, but players also know managers get sacked all the time. Budget is likely the bigger factor, and that appears to have been increased from the signings we’ve made and managers were talking to.
    This.. Players in league one rarely sign just for the manager.. They may say it in the interview, that the manager had a big part to play.. That is all smoke and mirrors!
    Come on it’s a big help if we have a manager in place. 
    2 clubs going for a player, 1 has a manager telling the player I’m going to play you in this role and making the player feel wanted by the manager. Against us with Andy Scott saying, when we’ve got a manager he will play you in this role etc 

It’s a no brainer for any player making a move to go to the team that has a manager in place that wants to sign him. To sign anyone we are going to end up having to pay more 
  • JamesSeed said:
    I wish they'd hurry up. Huddersfield have joined the hunt for a new manager, and could easily nip in and nick the one on our shortlist. 
    Maybe that's causing the delay?  Our main target wants to see if they have a chance there before committing to us.
  • Knew it was too good to be true that we would sign a half decent manager straight away and give ourselves half a chance of getting out of this shit. Jones will get pissed off with waiting for an answer and we will end up with someone like Appleton. Same old Charlton.
    Based on? The search for a new manager started last Wednesday. In that time the board would have had to advertise, discard the crap, approach managers, speak to agents, book interviews, reduce the short list, arrange second interviews, make an offer etc.

we are 5 working days into the process. Why would jones get pissed off?

realistically, how long would you expect the process to take?

you do realise that katrien didn't really interview 300 managers in 17!minutes.
    If the club were on the point of sacking Appleton on the Saturday then they should have already been talking to managers/agents etc. Not wait until the Wednesday morning & open the desk drawer marked " available managers" and start thumbing through the rolodex looking for their phone numbers. 

Ye gods. 

This. I remember a price on Les Reed when he was football director at Southampton, and he said in his black box locked away in his desk he has 5 positions for every player position and manager of who would fit should they lose any and its updated monthly.

To be fair AS might have a system like that and he is trying to speak with the top 5 or the many others on the board are getting involved.

• You’d think Rowett would be up for the HTFC job

• DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Out of interest, do you think he would've been sacked last Tuesday regardless of the result?

As you say,out of order to send him out for the game if that was the case 
    Yes.. I believe so. Scott thought they might be able to get win with him in charge.
    The fact the comms were all lined up and published within minutes after the match ended shows that his sacking was planned & he was going no matter what.
    Players reaction at final whistle suggested that they had an inkling he'd be gone if we lost
  • Sponsored links:

• Redhenry said:
    It has to be good news if Jones is appointed, he would not join us unless some promises have been made for investment in the playing side.
    Promises can be broken.....and often are. 
  • edited January 31
    We've become used to a single individual making decisions in the past. Now with this collective taking longer to make them, we can but hope going with the majority leads to the right appointment soon.

I get the impression that the structure is too cumbersome making the individuals operating within it appear amateurish at times. Plenty of room for improvement.
  • swordfish said:
    We've become used to a single individual making decisions in the past. Now with this collective taking longer to make them, we can but hope going with the majority leads to the right appointment soon.

I get the impression that the structure is too cumbersome making the individuals operating within it appear amateurish at times. Plenty of room for improvement.
    "many hands make light work" v "too many cooks spoil the broth"
  • DubaiCAFC said:

and not having a replacement lined up is the biggest issue for me. 
    I think any football club should having a continuous and ever changing list of manager possibilities should the need arise, but to have someone lined up would I think be unprofessional and disrespectful. I’m very glad that the club and the current board are undertaking what looks to be a proper and thorough selection process. This decision is so important for the future of our club that it needs to be got right. Don’t understand how people thought this was going to take a couple of days to sort out. Getting it right is the biggest issue for me. Not rushing it.
  • jondon76 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

This.. Players in league one rarely sign just for the manager.. They may say it in the interview, that the manager had a big part to play.. That is all smoke and mirrors!
    Come on its a big help if we have a manager in place. 
    Of course, but to say players come to a club because of a manager isn't correct either.. $$ and there role with in team is the key factors. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    jondon76 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Come on its a big help if we have a manager in place. 
    Of course, but to say players come to a club because of a manager isn't correct either.. $$ and there role with in team is the key factors. 
    Surely a modern footballer understands how foolish it would be to sign just because of a manager. A manager is rarely at a club longer than 12 month nowadays.