Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• bobmunro said:
    Other names available include Gareth Ainsworth, Mark Bonner, Alex Neil, Mark Kennedy, Gary Rowett

Plus veterans like Neil Warnock and Mark Hughes

Ben Garner and Dean Holden are available too... 
    Alex Neil is another good shout. 

Rowett? - No. 
    Alex Neil?- No.
    Mark Hughes? - No.
    Nathan Jones? - No.

I speak with a degree of experience!
    In view of your connection with Stoke I have to respect your opinion and hope we don't appoint Nathan Jones after his disaster at Southampton. 
  • If he joins, I hope does well and I don't know who else we could realistically appoint who would definitely do better, but something about the idea of Nathan Jones as our manager makes me uneasy.
  • Mark Hughes ??? .. what idiot put him in the frame ?
  • and 11th .. Thou shalt not take the name of the great Lord Llewellyn in vain
  • edited January 29
    With Darren Moore suddenly available, is he an option ?

I hope not!
    I wouldn’t have agreed after watching the crowd limited covid match against Donny Rovers when they stuffed us 3-1 at The Valley. He was on the way up at that time.

He's had a very good management career, although this season at Huddersfield, working with a tight budget, hadn’t gone well. 

Potted career adapted from Wiki:

On 2 April 2018, West Brom manager Alan Pardew was sacked after a run of poor results, leaving them bottom of the Premier League and 10 points from safety. Moore was then appointed as caretaker manager until the end of the season. West Brom then went undefeated in April, a run that included a 1–0 away win against Mun Utd -  in part earning Moore the Prem Manager of the Month honour. However, West Brom were relegated from the Premier League later that day.

Moore was then appointed head coach. He then led the team to fourth in the Championship with the club still in with a chance of automatic promotion to the Premier League, but this was cut short with his surprise sacking with only ten games remaining of the regular season.

Moore returned to manage Doncaster Rovers. He began well,- a six-game undefeated streak, prior to losing 1–0 to Blackpool.

As a result of Covid all football was halted from March 2020 onwards. On 9 June, all clubs voted to curtail the season; the final league table was calculated by a points-per-game method; Doncaster finishing the season in ninth position. 

Next season saw Donny regain form, which saw the manager nominated for the division's Manager of the Month accolade for both September 2020 and January 2021.

After going through the entirety of January 2021 winning every single league match, he was poached by Sheffield Weds.

Wednesday were relegated that season, but the next season they reached the play offs with 85 points, but lost to Sunderland over two legs. 

He kicked off the following season with four wins from five games, with a clean sheet in each, giving him a manager of the month nomination for August. Getting 14 points from 7 games in October and 6 points from 2 in November would see him get back-to-back EFL Manager of the Month nominations for October and November. Another 9 points in January from 3 games with a combined score of 7–0, gave him another nomination for January. The club went 20 league games without defeat and managed to go top of the league, resulting in another nomination for manager of the month. On 11 April, he was nominated for EFL League One Manager of the Season. 

Then a dip in form saw his team finish the league season in third spot, earning a play-off tie against The Posh. Wednesday lost the first leg by a convincing 4–0 scoreline and were booed off the pitch by their own fans. The second leg they won 5-1 and went through on pens. Moore had such a positive impact on the squad that long standing captain Barry Bannan personally thanked him in front of the whole squad following the game saying, "What he has done is unbelievable, to turn around the mindset of the players. I'm so proud of him how he's handled this week after the racism he's experienced. This one's for him."

They won tbe final 1-0 and were promoted back to the Championship.  He then moved on after failing to agree terms with the Wednesday Chairman.

He then joined Huddersfield last summer where is all went a bit Pete Tong. He was relieved of his duties on 29 Jan after just three wins in 23 matches, with the club 21st in the second tier and three points above the relegation places.

I wouldn’t rule him out at all, although I suspect he’d be looking for a job in the Championship?

• I’m really not liking the way this search is going in terms of the kind of names in the frame. 

Just my opinion but I really don’t think it will end well come May if this is the road we go down.
  • Chunes said:
    I feel like Nathan Jones is a more exciting name than Gary Rowett.
    Neither are very exciting names in my opinion. 

Now if the club were to appoint Pussy Galore to the head role  and Honey Rider as her number two…there’s two exciting names  the fan base would come together behind.
  • Yann897 said:
    I’m really not liking the way this search is going in terms of the kind of names in the frame. 

Just my opinion but I really don’t think it will end well come May if this is the road we go down.
    Who was you expecting 🤔

Oh this  is what I was expecting….. experience from an exceptionally large sample size states that managers like these who have decent CVs but don’t have a special bond never work out.

anyway it is what it is - let’s see where we are in May and then we will know if it was the right approach.

If I were pushed I probably go Rowett - but then again you can already see the Agent Rowett jokes from that lot from a mile off!
  • Sponsored links:

• Not seeing any Mike Williamson links on Twitter, would be very surprised if he left MK Dons already 
  • I’m really not liking the way this search is going in terms of the kind of names in the frame. 

Who would you go for?

I would go for diff but his name doesn't seem to be mentioned much
  • Nathan Jones, he's taking too long...🤦‍♂️
  • jbaker said:
    Been told the following.

Unless there is a stumbling block I would expect him to be appointed on Wednesday and taking the game on Saturday
    I take it him being jones?
  • jbaker said:
    Been told the following.

Unless there is a stumbling block I would expect him to be appointed on Wednesday and taking the game on Saturday
    Who ? 
  • edited January 29
    The reality of all this is that it is pretty much pot luck. We could find that Herr Klopp really does fancy a challenge only to discover that his flush is busted. Back in reality land we could discover that Jones really is the fruitloop that some of us fear rather than the Messiah (pun intended). We could get Eustace and discover that he was a one hit wonder. We could get Darren Moore and discover that his flush is likewise busted. We could get Duff and discover that he’s aptly named after all. We could get a bright young manager on the make and pull another Garner out of the hat. The success stories are really hard to find in this game. The list of candidates being touted this time is generally a little more appetizing than last time round but there is no truly outstanding candidate (I was kidding about Klopp btw!). We just need to hope that whoever gets it doesn’t crash and burn. We don’t need to like them to support them. I really can’t abide Jones but I didn’t much care for Bowyer either. I really liked JJ but didn’t rate him as a manager. I went through various emotions with Robinson and ended up with a begrudging respect for him. I thought Garner was a little prick. I really liked Nigel but he was pretty ridiculous with all that walking is wonderful crap. And so it goes on. Whoever we get is going to have to work hard to get us on board because we are, let’s face it, pretty low on expectation and patience these days. I’m not expecting miracles (sorry Nathan). 

What names would you suggest ?
  • Everyone knows who I have been suggesting - but seeing as that’s not going to happen there is no point going over it again.

I don’t want us to go down as I think it will be the end of us, and IMO the kinds of names we are being linked with will not end well.
  • Sponsored links:

• IMO i do feel the club needs to have someone in before the final day of the transfer window to give us much stronger footing for any perspective signings. 

Who would you go for?

I would go for diff but his name doesn't seem to be mentioned much
    Got a feeling that Damo is a CP man
  • Mike Williamson latest name linked 
    Linked by whom?
  • Scoham said:
    Random Twitter account claiming Jones keen but wants his own signings before the window closes.
    How on earth does he expect that to happen in such short a time…..pretty unrealistic if you ask me.🤔
  • Scoham said:
    Random Twitter account claiming Jones keen but wants his own signings before the window closes.
    How on earth does he expect that to happen in such short a time…..pretty unrealistic if you ask me.🤔
    For all we know they could have been working on names already, just 'cos it ain't announced to the masses means not a lot really does it?
  • With Darren Moore suddenly available, is he an option ?

I felt this way about Moore in September and still feel this way now:
    1) I think he is a Championship manager now. I know he didn't do well at Hudds, man did they draw a lot, but Hudds aren't a good side and following Neil Warnock is always hard because he's pretty good at leaving before things get really bad.

2) We do not have a side to play Darren Moore football. 

For me it's the second thing that's most disqualifying. By all accounts a great guy, think we'd grow to love him, I just don't think he's the right manager.