Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• thenewbie said:
    I am not against appointing him but I would like us to give Fleming a chance first. A two defeats (and some wins) or we bring somebody in chance over February. I think that is the common sense approach. I know some people don't share it but if Jones came in and failed that would fcuk us up. Somebody like him should be the lasp gasp option. 
    And if we give Fleming a chance but he doesn't win any games, whoever we then get in has an even more difficult job and less time to rectify it in. So... no.
    Fleming is caretaker and only the caretaker, his only priority right now is to try and stop the rot and provide the basics of continuity.
    He's spent a career as assistant to the main coach, he's good at it, he seems quite content. 

He is a decent guy from what I've seen but nowhere near the full time job.
    But what makes you so sure Jones will? I am not having a Fleming love in but I was happy with Saturday and what if he gets a result next week? Even if it is short term, do we throw that away for something that may go right or wrong. If it doesn't work with Fleming we still have time. Maybe one or two games less but we have an extra life as it were.
    Because Jones is someone who has proven success at this level as a Head coach. Fleming is not. Its a gamble either way and I am not 100% sold on Jones but he's by every metric a safer gamble than Fleming.

Getting someone (anyone really) in over Fleming may go right or wrong yes. But sticking with Fleming may also go right or wrong and hard to justify as anything other than kicking the can down the road. 

If we were in midtable doldrums going nowhere then Fleming would get longer. We're not, so he doesn't. Harsh on him maybe but that's the game.
  • shine166 said:
    Rowett might fancy Huddersfield more than us due to the geography.  
    Nice scenery? 
    Not sure if this was meant to be ironic but there is indeed some lovely scenery around Huddersfield as anyone who used to watch Last of the Summer Wine would know. 
    Yeah it was an attempted joke about the 'geography' 
  • Are there any teams in league 1 whose manager's last job was in the prem?
  • A poll on the new manager options would be interesting 
    I was thinking of starting 1 the other day as I feel it would be interesting to gauge opinions on this site, but I couldn't see an option to create a poll.

Think you have to be an admin?
  • shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Rowett might fancy Huddersfield more than us due to the geography.  
    Nice scenery? 
    Not sure if this was meant to be ironic but there is indeed some lovely scenery around Huddersfield as anyone who used to watch Last of the Summer Wine would know. 
    Yeah it was an attempted joke about the 'geography' 
    Always a shame when you have to explain "the joke"...🙄
  • follett said:
    Are there any teams in league 1 whose manager's last job was in the prem?
    Ironically, the man who replaced Jones at Southampton. Ruben Selles at Reading
    Completely forgot about Selles, probably because my initial thought was to look more towards the top of the table
  • Chunes said:
    I feel like Nathan Jones is a more exciting name than Gary Rowett.
    Agreed, a close friend of mine is a Millwall ST holder (shocking I know), he said the football under Rowett got progressively worse year on year. Ground out some results (something we need right now, granted) but the manner of getting there was abysmal to watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• I would like NJ could see the sense of Warnock not fussed by the others don’t like the idea of Neil
  • From reading the article posted on NJ feels like he’d want control of transfers too? Given his success at it at Luton 
  • Darren Moore, anyone? 
  • I think we can safely say the job is not too big for jones, he’s been there and done it in the championship, and dabbled in the prem albeit very short term.  If this doesn’t excite us then no one will.  

We need to as fans wipe the slate clean.  Take things step by step, first job survival, second job preparing the squad for next season, then hopefully hit league one hard come August.  If we do go with him it’ll finally feel like the beginning of something for me at least.  
  • view from a Saints season ticket holder:

"Yes well all l can say they must be desperate to be considering Nathan Jones. All he did for us is make sure we got relegated, the team never recovered from his involvement.
    Sorry l could not be more positive, But as you say who in their right mind would want the job at this time. 
    At least when you are down and out the only way is up and l must say it has been most enjoyable at St Mary's this season at least we have seen them winning, your good times will return."
  • thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    I am not against appointing him but I would like us to give Fleming a chance first. A two defeats (and some wins) or we bring somebody in chance over February. I think that is the common sense approach. I know some people don't share it but if Jones came in and failed that would fcuk us up. Somebody like him should be the lasp gasp option. 
    And if we give Fleming a chance but he doesn't win any games, whoever we then get in has an even more difficult job and less time to rectify it in. So... no.
    Fleming is caretaker and only the caretaker, his only priority right now is to try and stop the rot and provide the basics of continuity.
    He's spent a career as assistant to the main coach, he's good at it, he seems quite content. 

He is a decent guy from what I've seen but nowhere near the full time job.
    But what makes you so sure Jones will? I am not having a Fleming love in but I was happy with Saturday and what if he gets a result next week? Even if it is short term, do we throw that away for something that may go right or wrong. If it doesn't work with Fleming we still have time. Maybe one or two games less but we have an extra life as it were.
    Because Jones is someone who has proven success at this level as a Head coach. Fleming is not. Its a gamble either way and I am not 100% sold on Jones but he's by every metric a safer gamble than Fleming.

Getting someone (anyone really) in over Fleming may go right or wrong yes. But sticking with Fleming may also go right or wrong and hard to justify as anything other than kicking the can down the road. 

If we were in midtable doldrums going nowhere then Fleming would get longer. We're not, so he doesn't. Harsh on him maybe but that's the game.
    Jones is a proven success and a proven failure. People seem to forget that last bit. My argument with Fleming is that we can correct it within a few games if it isn't having instant results.
  • Sponsored links:

• _MrDick said:
    Darren Moore, anyone? 
    Not now. Would've loved it before, but that ship has sailed for me
  • Chunes said:
    I feel like Nathan Jones is a more exciting name than Gary Rowett.
    Agreed, a close friend of mine is a Millwall ST holder (shocking I know), he said the football under Rowett got progressively worse year on year. Ground out some results (something we need right now, granted) but the manner of getting there was abysmal to watch.
    That the common word on him dahn the den. Avoid
  • NJ sounds *very* boom or bust to me. High ceiling, low floor.

He could be the man that leads us to the fringes of the Premier League BUT if he goes off the rails, he could be part of the succession of managers that send us into the fourth tier for the first time ever.

That is in stark contrast to the other front runners IMO who would I would say are more “low ceiling, high floor” appointments in Warnock, Neil, Rowett etc. They probably aren’t taking clubs to the Premier League these days, but they would definitely be able to get us up to the Championship and they certainly wouldn’t let us get relegated from League One.

If they want Jones I appreciate them having 1. the money to do it because it won’t be cheap and 2. the big bollocks to go with a risky appointment that might pay off in spades versus the safe pairs of hands.
    Hang on, so what manager do we want? Someone who doesn’t have the capability of reaching the fringes of the premier league and rotting in the top half of league one every season? I’m not suggesting this is what you mean exactly but I think we need to have a bit of a reality check here. For where we are, Nathan Jones would be a very good appointment for the long term future of this club! Couldn’t give a toss about his Southampton and Stoke days…both clubs were in ruins before the day he joined them!!
  • Nice to see a list of names and be happy with most of them!
  • It was a very good article but I'm on the fence about Nathan.

Yes, he's had some success but some of the stuff he came out with at Southampton sounded like Son of Mickey Apples. 

I think because we've had more Managers than most clubs we're all simply conditioned to expect failure at some point.

You just know that if Warnock came in he'd probably lose every game, you just know his luck with previous clubs is going to run out at some point. 

Its been said before that Pep or Klopp would struggle with our Mob because it's not that our players lack some quality.... What they lack is heart and passion and you either have it or you don't... That can't be coached. 

For my two bob I would prefer Rowett as its not a massive gamble and I think he will steady the ship and boy do we need steadying. 

Either way it's pretty depressing.