Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• I believe that when Jones took over at Stoke he brought in Phil Chapple, who had been head of recruitment under Chris Powell, in a similar role.  Also played a few games for us.

Not sure where Phil is now, he was at Brighton, but for those who want "understands the club" he does in spades.

How that would work with Andy Scott I don't know.  No, that's not true, I think it wouldn't work but Scott and Rodwell did talk about expanding the recruitment/scouting team.
    Last time I heard of Phil Chapple he was working for Luton
  • follett said:
    A team 18th in League One getting Nathan Jones is really impressive. It's just over a year ago a pretty well run Premier League club opted for him as manager. Although it didn't work out, his achievements at Luton are remarkable and I really hope if we give him time, he could do the same here.
    the 'remarkable achievements' at Luton were, as I have opined before, more down to Mick Harford than Jones .. as I have also said before, Jones is NOT NOT NOT the manager we need, he is at best a fair to middling player coach
    The guy isnt through the door yet and is already getting bashed. Harford just said "more of the same" when Jones left and done them right. Harford is a good coach in his own right and will have motivated the players to see it over the line but tactics, mostly Jones.
    If Jones comes in then perhaps it would work with Harford.  He would certainly get the players doing things as wanted.
  • Even if Jones does or doesn’t become manager the fact he’s interested in having talks is enough to show that despite our current position we still have enough pull as a club and perhaps not as basket case / damage done / club size shrunk as we may have thought.
    The pull is the wage packet.
  • Having read that very good and balanced article about NJ, it has put me even firmer in 'its a Yes from me camp'.
    However we can't dilly-dally, let's get him in and let him finish off the transfer window with a few more players, that he wants!
  • Scoham said:
    Random Twitter account claiming Jones keen but wants his own signings before the window closes.
    Think the important words there are "random twitter account" - wouldn't put much stock in it myself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    Got to admire Lincs willing to die on hill over this Harford thing, impressive 
    your admiration is grudgingly (but gratefully) accepted lol .. however, IF the sainted Jones is appointed or should we beg Appleton, Garner or Adkins to return, anybody ! they will have my best wishes, cos anyone coming in will need all the help they can get whilst striving to get us out of this downslide 
  • Scoham said:
    Random Twitter account claiming Jones keen but wants his own signings before the window closes.
    If that's true and it happens, it really will show intent from the money men
  • Rothko said:
    forgot to add, I have met Mick H a few times, he is the proverbial tough diamond geezer as well as a GREAT manager  o:)
  • Rothko said:
    forgot to add, I have met Mick H a few times, he is the proverbial tough diamond geezer as well as a GREAT manager  o:)
    He does not suffer any s***.
  • edited January 29
    Following on from @Henry Irving post that someone new is being interviewed are we to take it that it’s Warburton or has he already been seen and we’re on to somebody else ?
  • Scoham said:
    follett said:
    A team 18th in League One getting Nathan Jones is really impressive. It's just over a year ago a pretty well run Premier League club opted for him as manager. Although it didn't work out, his achievements at Luton are remarkable and I really hope if we give him time, he could do the same here.
    the 'remarkable achievements' at Luton were, as I have opined before, more down to Mick Harford than Jones .. as I have also said before, Jones is NOT NOT NOT the manager we need, he is at best a fair to middling player coach
    Nathan Jones managed them for 170 games between January 2016 and January 2019. He got them promoted from L2 in that time and managed the first half of their L1 winning season.

Mick Harford managed them for 21 games between January 2019 and May 2019 (when they won L1).

Nathan Jones then came back in 2020, kept them up in the Championship, then finished 12th and improved again when they finished 6th and lost in the playoffs. He managed them for another 133 games.

Wanted to look this up to understand your point. In the 5 months Harford was there how could he have had a greater influence than the 300+ games Jones was there, in which they improved every season?
    two main points .. Harford was the manager for the important five months during which Luton were promoted from L1, secondly he was with the club, and I believe he still is for far longer than 5 months .. and on TWO occasions he has taken over Luton's management following Jones's desertion of the club. Harford was there during Luton's 'success' in the Championship.
    Jones is a serial loser more than a serial winner and is not to be trusted ..  yes he got Luton out of L2, BUT what has he achieved since as a solo act ?

ANYWAY, we all have our opinions about good/bad managers, I say once more, I wouldn't touch Nathan Jones with a bargepole when it comes to managing CAFC
    Why are the last five months the most important? If Jones hadn’t given them the platform to achieve promotion in the initial months of the season then Harford wouldn’t have had the opportunity to finish the job off. Serial loser? OMG.

He wouldn’t be my first choice, Duff would, but then again to you he’d be a serial loser I suppose. Every manager has failed somewhere, it comes with the territory.
  • Sponsored links:

• A worthwhile read. Sounds similar to Powell when he first joined. Slowly implemented his ideas mid-season and then overhauled the squad and playing style ahead of the new season.  A bit of patience may be required. 

Sounds flexible in the formations he plays too. 
  • Scoham said:
    Quite how that’s achievable with three days of the window left is unclear. Think I’ll treat that with a pinch of salt. 
    I’m sure he’s got plenty of contacts at clubs, he might know a couple of players looking to move that he’s worked with before and is keen on 
  • It’s a step up from MA. That’s the important thing. 
  • edited January 29
    ButtleJR said:
    To use his  own analogy..what a cock...charmin' chap...🙄
  • edited January 29
    MarcusH26 said:
    I hope we are quite advanced with any of the major candidates that have been mentioned as Huddersfield have just sacked Darren Moore, that could throw a spanner in the works if it's Jones,Duff,Eustace being interviewed by us. 
    Would've taken Moore instead of Appleton, but thought the general consensus was that he'd not come down to our level?
  • He who must not be named (from the other forum) appears to be saying Jones is a done deal 
  • edited January 29
    NabySarr said:
    He who must not be named (from the other forum) appears to be saying Jones is a done deal 

....😉