Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• NabySarr said:
    He who must not be named (from the other forum) appears to be saying Jones is a done deal 
    Had my reservations about Jones for reasons that I can’t really understand. Just do. Having said that there are so many of you more knowledgeable than I that seem enthused so on that basis I’m in. I’ll stick my neck out now and say I don’t think it’s going to be him. 
  • That photo would be a good "Where are they now"
  • Alexa seems to think Michael Appleton is set to be replaced by none other than Michael Appleton!
  • edited January 29
    thenewbie said:
    I am not against appointing him but I would like us to give Fleming a chance first. A two defeats (and some wins) or we bring somebody in chance over February. I think that is the common sense approach. I know some people don't share it but if Jones came in and failed that would fcuk us up. Somebody like him should be the lasp gasp option. 
    And if we give Fleming a chance but he doesn't win any games, whoever we then get in has an even more difficult job and less time to rectify it in. So... no.
    Fleming is caretaker and only the caretaker, his only priority right now is to try and stop the rot and provide the basics of continuity.
    He's spent a career as assistant to the main coach, he's good at it, he seems quite content. 

He is a decent guy from what I've seen but nowhere near the full time job.
    But what makes you so sure Jones will? I am not having a Fleming love in but I was happy with Saturday and what if he gets a result next week? Even if it is short term, do we throw that away for something that may go right or wrong. If it doesn't work with Fleming we still have time. Maybe one or two games less but we have an extra life as it were.
  • sam3110 said:
    Darren Moore at the back post in the last minute anyone? Wanted him in the summer
    I don't think this squad has the 'steeliness' to play Mooreball personally, am coming round to the idea of Jones although my personal preference would be Neil 
  • thenewbie said:
    I am not against appointing him but I would like us to give Fleming a chance first. A two defeats (and some wins) or we bring somebody in chance over February. I think that is the common sense approach. I know some people don't share it but if Jones came in and failed that would fcuk us up. Somebody like him should be the lasp gasp option. 
    And if we give Fleming a chance but he doesn't win any games, whoever we then get in has an even more difficult job and less time to rectify it in. So... no.
    Fleming is caretaker and only the caretaker, his only priority right now is to try and stop the rot and provide the basics of continuity.
    He's spent a career as assistant to the main coach, he's good at it, he seems quite content. 

But what makes you so sure Jones will? I am not having a Fleming love in but I was happy with Saturday and what if he gets a result next week? Even if it is short term, do we throw that away for something that may go right or wrong. If it doesn't work with Fleming we still have time. Maybe one or two games less but we have an extra life as it were.
    If it wasn’t the end of the transfer window this week then I’d agree. But a manager like Jones would seriously improve the standard of player we are able to sign before the deadline. We need the appointment made asap 
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:

If it wasn’t the end of the transfer window this week then I’d agree. But a manager like Jones would seriously improve the standard of player we are able to sign before the deadline. We need the appointment made asap 
    Aaron Collins could certainly be more attainable with the Welsh connection...
  • follett said:
    A team 18th in League One getting Nathan Jones is really impressive. It's just over a year ago a pretty well run Premier League club opted for him as manager. Although it didn't work out, his achievements at Luton are remarkable and I really hope if we give him time, he could do the same here.
    the 'remarkable achievements' at Luton were, as I have opined before, more down to Mick Harford than Jones .. as I have also said before, Jones is NOT NOT NOT the manager we need, he is at best a fair to middling player coach
    How can you pinpoint who/what made a team successful?  With players you can but managers/coaches its almost impossible.
  • Morning odds…

- Nathan Jones 6/4
    - Nigel Pearson 3/1
    - Neil Warnock 4/1
    - Michael Duff 5/1
    - John Eustace 5/1
    - Mark Bonner 10/1
    - Gareth Ainsworth 14/1
    - 16/1 bar
    27th January morning update…

- Nathan Jones 1/2
    - Alex Neil 7/2
    - Neil Warnock 6/1
    - Michael Duff 6/1
    - Nigel Pearson 8/1
    - John Eustace 10/1
    - 20/1 bar
    28th January update…

- Nathan Jones 2/1
    - Mark Warburton 2/1
    - Gary Rowett 4/1
    - Alex Neil 6/1
    - Michael Duff 8/1
    - Neil Warnock 8/1
    - Nigel Pearson 10/1
    - John Eustace 12/1
    - 20/1 bar
    29th January update, unchanged from 24 hours ago
    I would vote for Non of the Above.

Lets hope we all get what we want.
  • NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:

Only to an extent I think.

The players we get in (if any) will be under negotiation already I imagine - any prospective manager isn't following our team so closely to know who we need to sign. Their name/calibre might influence someone who is wavering on us but assumes we are still looking at perm signings as I doubt the loan market candidates really care. We are stuck with whatever players Scott has lined up.

It might have more of an influence on say Dobson signing his contract offer however.
  • Gribbo said:

Rumour it’s Jones
  • Rowett might fancy Huddersfield more than us due to the geography.  
  • Rowett might fancy Huddersfield more than us due to the geography.  
    Nice scenery? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cawley's Aaron Collins piece mentions more talks with NJ today but also mentions Warnock , Neil and Warburton as names in the running. 
  • I was very impressed by the article as I believe others will be too.

I take on board the comments regarding our SMT and their modus operandi but success must be paramount in their minds with difficult decisions to be made NOW.

If relegation remains the banned word at our club as MA stated, then maybe it's time to put aside their pre conceived ideas and convince the money men that a significant "tactical change " in both style of management AND forward planning has to start now. 

We have been described by some of late as a club that's lost its identity. 

The time has arrived for that to change.

I refer M'Lud to the "Next Manager " thread in early December when a certain Lifer addressed the issue of bringing in a former Charlton man & asked " Has no-one mentioned Nathan Jones ? "....  
  • Swisdom said:
    Phil Chapple has been at a few of our games this season because I always say hello when I see him.  I thought he was checking our Corey but he was there to monitor Louis Watson.
    Must've been fun staring at the bench for a few games. 
  • Swisdom said:
    Phil Chapple has been at a few of our games this season because I always say hello when I see him.  I thought he was checking our Corey but he was there to monitor Louis Watson.  Really good guy and an encyclopedic knowledge of players at our level.  I'd very much welcome him back but I'd suggest Luton are paying him pretty well so it would take some offer.

Nathan Jones was one of my preferred options.  Looking at his points per game his overall average is brought down by his Southampton and Stoke stints but his rate at both Luton stays is well above average.  He got an average team playing well above the standard expected and that's what we need.  Also known to like 3 at the back (3-4-1-2)Next best bet is probably Duff who knows the division and likes a 3-5-2

Personally think Warburton has been out of the game for a bit too long and not sure his L1 knowledge is going to be up to it.
    Rowett is very pragmatic but asking a lot to drop to L1
    Warnock - Would get results but too short term for me.  We need to see the remainder of the season as our pre-season for next year so we need someone in place now that will be here for a while to come
    He only left West Ham in June
  • shine166 said:
    Rowett might fancy Huddersfield more than us due to the geography.  
    Nice scenery? 
    Not sure if this was meant to be ironic but there is indeed some lovely scenery around Huddersfield as anyone who used to watch Last of the Summer Wine would know. 
  • It’s a step up from MA. That’s the important thing. 
    Not for me, I was hoping for another step sideways to cement anywhere from 11th - 19th in the coming seasons
  • A poll on the new manager options would be interesting