Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Well I'm just glad we have Scott & Rodwell running things so we can even find these people to talk to.

Without them I guess we wouldn't even get to identify potential candidates. :D  ;)
  • I am not against appointing him but I would like us to give Fleming a chance first. A two defeats (and some wins) or we bring somebody in chance over February. I think that is the common sense approach. I know some people don't share it but if Jones came in and failed that would fcuk us up. Somebody like him should be the lasp gasp option. 
    I don’t mind him having 2 or 3 games if needed but he’s been coaching for over 15 years and aside from a year in India there’s nothing to suggest he wants to be a manager. He even mentioned in his press conference that he’s 55 and knows what he is.
  • I'm lead to believe that at least one other manager is being interviewed for the first time today so I don't think NJ is a "done deal" but it seems he maybe a front runner.

"further talks" could mean thrashing out the terms and conditions or them convincing him to come or him convincing us that he's the right man.

He does tick the "knows the club" box (for any Exploding Heads fans) and "Has had success at this level" box along with the "shows passion" box.

https://x.com/Stockley1231/status/1751900296723288354?s=20

Still question marks over whether he can do it away from Luton though. 

Or if he is willing to stop his payments from Southampton to take our salary on offer.. He is interested that's for sure.. But financing can it work, who knows!

Would I like him, I am on the fence with this one.. Could be amazing, or dog sh*t.. Don't expect any middle ground!
  • Same with players, you attract quality if you are willing to pay for it. 

I am pleased at the very least that the we are smarter than others and can do it on the cheap philosophy appears to have been abandoned. 
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    I'm lead to believe that at least one other manager is being interviewed for the first time today so I don't think NJ is a "done deal" but it seems he maybe a front runner.

"further talks" could mean thrashing out the terms and conditions or them convincing him to come or him convincing us that he's the right man.

He does tick the "knows the club" box (for any Exploding Heads fans) and "Has had success at this level" box along with the "shows passion" box.

https://x.com/Stockley1231/status/1751900296723288354?s=20

Still question marks over whether he can do it away from Luton though. 

Or if he is willing to stop his payments from Southampton to take our salary on offer.. He is interested that's for sure.. But financing can it work, who knows!

Would I like him, I am on the fence with this one.. Could be amazing, or dog sh*t.. Don't expect any middle ground!

That is my concern as we can't afford dogshit right now...

I wonder if the Champions League winning manager has reapplied for the role 😂
  • Still mixed feelings if it is Jones, he will get my full support but I do wonder how much of the Luton success is truly him and how much is them being one of the best run clubs in the country. 

As Luton have that Brighton or Brentford feel of they are immune to being reliant on one person for their success. 
  • cabbles said:
    Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Way too many on twitter saying Fleming should get the season off a gritty 1-1.

😷
    Really struggle with our fanbase at times 
    It’s bizarre.  Someone tweeted Bakinson was ‘mustard’ off the back of the P’boro game the other week.  You would’ve thought that the last however many years since Curbs left (bar the interlude’s under Powell and Bowyer), would’ve hardened a sense of realism.  

There are some ridiculous examples.  We had a few talk of signing Lisbie’s son after the Cray Valley game.  

I genuinely question myself about it sometimes.  Am I just too negative now.  For me, I know I was lucky enough to be part of that Curbs era, but that is what I measure success against.  The club were moving forward, there was a purpose.  For me, if that doesn’t exist, that collective purpose, top down, and we aren’t being guided by someone like a Powell or a Bowyer who knew the fabric of the club, everything else seems immaterial and the cast of characters that have come with it.

I genuinely care for none of them.  I won’t remember Blackett Taylor like I did John Robinson say.

maybe it’s age.  But I genuinely can’t get my head around how quickly some of us take to someone who has had the odd good game

Agree, but the flip side is players being written off after a couple of bad passes in their first match/matches. Hitting the ground running is difficult and with our new signings even harder as they normally arrive with a issue so the running is difficult.

Obviously we shouldn't have so many young players coming into the side at the same time.
    Who told Scott that our youngsters in 23/24 were of the same standard of Aribo, Lookman, Gomez and Konsa when they were 18-20 ?

They should improve but coming into a struggling team together is actually setting them back.

Charlton Athletic need a good head/coach is obvious but they also need a 'head coach' to work on their shattered confidence as Leaburn before his injury was looking so miserable on the field and young Tyreese Campbell is sounding fed up with the stick he is taking. 

I said Charlton was a tough gig about 4 managers ago, it's becoming the impossible job with even Watford saying we change our manager/Head coach too often !
  • edited January 29
    ValleyBen said:
    Still mixed feelings if it is Jones, he will get my full support but I do wonder how much of the Luton success is truly him and how much is them being one of the best run clubs in the country. 

As Luton have that Brighton or Brentford feel of they are immune to being reliant on one person for their success. 
    I mean look at the turn around they had when they sacked Graeme Jones in 2019/20, and brought back Nathan - We beat Luton 3-1 at the Valley, three games before the former got sacked, which left them bottom of the table.

I've always had the opinion that Luton would have gone down but for that decision from them.

They lost just once again all season
  • Jones won't come cheap & would still be seen as a big appointment by league 1 standards. 

His appointment would show ambition IMO 
    It would show they realise we can go down and they need to pull their fingers out. 
    I'd still rather Warnock for new manager bounce.
  • I am not against appointing him but I would like us to give Fleming a chance first. A two defeats (and some wins) or we bring somebody in chance over February. I think that is the common sense approach. I know some people don't share it but if Jones came in and failed that would fcuk us up. Somebody like him should be the lasp gasp option. 
    And if we give Fleming a chance but he doesn't win any games, whoever we then get in has an even more difficult job and less time to rectify it in. So... no.
    Fleming is caretaker and only the caretaker, his only priority right now is to try and stop the rot and provide the basics of continuity.
    He's spent a career as assistant to the main coach, he's good at it, he seems quite content. 

He is a decent guy from what I've seen but nowhere near the full time job.
  •  fenaddick said:
    Just hope he's in before the window closes. Would surely be a draw to players
    I'm not sure how much say a manager has on transfers under Scott
    Not very significant.
    I'd guess players are put to them and they get to say yes or no.
  • ValleyBen said:
    Still mixed feelings if it is Jones, he will get my full support but I do wonder how much of the Luton success is truly him and how much is them being one of the best run clubs in the country. 

I mean look at the turn around they had when they sacked Graeme Jones in 2019/20, and brought back Nathan - We beat Luton 3-1 at the Valley, three games before the former got sacked, which left them bottom of the table.

I've always had the opinion that Luton would have gone down but for that decision from them.

The other side is without him they are in the PL and giving it a real go despite being written off before a ball had been kicked. 

I just feel Jones is way more of a gamble and unknown then some of the other names mentioned. 

Could go amazing, could be a disaster and I am truly spooked we could end up in the fourth tier if we get the next hire wrong. 
  • edited January 29
    ValleyBen said:
    ValleyBen said:

The other side is without him they are in the PL and giving it a real go despite being written off before a ball had been kicked. 

I just feel Jones is way more of a gamble and unknown then some of the other names mentioned. 

Could go amazing, could be a disaster and I am truly spooked we could end up in the fourth tier if we get the next hire wrong. 
    They basically got it wrong when he left for Stoke the first time.

They got it right the second time when Edwards replaced him, after he went to Stoke

Had they not survived 2019/20 though, whats to say they'd now be in the Premier League - Any Manager to be fair is a complete and utter gamble - Need the whole infrastructure within the club to be right.

Finding the right Manager, at the right time is probably the hardest task in the game for a club.
  • Sponsored links:

• follett said:
    A team 18th in League One getting Nathan Jones is really impressive. It's just over a year ago a pretty well run Premier League club opted for him as manager. Although it didn't work out, his achievements at Luton are remarkable and I really hope if we give him time, he could do the same here.
    the 'remarkable achievements' at Luton were, as I have opined before, more down to Mick Harford than Jones .. as I have also said before, Jones is NOT NOT NOT the manager we need, he is at best a fair to middling player coach
  • I think NJ is a great fit for what we need, a complete rebuild and that’s what he did so well at Luton when they were wallowing in League 2. He knows the club, can galvanise the fans, he is passionate and a good motivator. Will be happy if we can get him and even more excited for next season. 
  • I think someone will be appointed by Tuesday.

Mardi Gras, Large Addick 🤔

• I think someone will be appointed by Tuesday.

Mardi Gras, Large Addick 🤔

Fat Tuesday ? .. Welcome Steve Evans lol
  • I just cannot even think about next season until we have a handful of wins.