Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Really hoping for Jones or Rowett. Warnock for the short term would be okay but ideally wanna be building for next season.
  • Yann897 said:

Really hoping for Jones or Rowett. Warnock for the short term would be okay but ideally wanna be building for next season.
    Our immediate concern is staying up.

Get Warnock in till the end of the season and in the meantime look for a manager for next season.
  • Yann897 said:

Really hoping for Jones or Rowett. Warnock for the short term would be okay but ideally wanna be building for next season.
    Our immediate concern is staying up.

Get Warnock in till the end of the season and in the meantime look for a manager for next season.
    I wouldn’t mind this, probably the only one I’d take short term though, anyone else and I’d want it to be a long term appointment.
  • I just watched Warnock on the Peter Crouch podcast on YouTube, really good watch/listen, could listen to his stories all day. Are you with me? 
    Things that stood out were he said he loved working in London and was very much out of work and not retired. Also loves wingers as they excite him which isn't the best fit for us at the moment! Are you with me?
  • cabbles said:
    Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Way too many on twitter saying Fleming should get the season off a gritty 1-1.

😷
    Really struggle with our fanbase at times 
    It’s bizarre.  Someone tweeted Bakinson was ‘mustard’ off the back of the P’boro game the other week.  You would’ve thought that the last however many years since Curbs left (bar the interlude’s under Powell and Bowyer), would’ve hardened a sense of realism.  

There are some ridiculous examples.  We had a few talk of signing Lisbie’s son after the Cray Valley game.  

I genuinely question myself about it sometimes.  Am I just too negative now.  For me, I know I was lucky enough to be part of that Curbs era, but that is what I measure success against.  The club were moving forward, there was a purpose.  For me, if that doesn’t exist, that collective purpose, top down, and we aren’t being guided by someone like a Powell or a Bowyer who knew the fabric of the club, everything else seems immaterial and the cast of characters that have come with it.

I genuinely care for none of them.  I won’t remember Blackett Taylor like I did John Robinson say.

maybe it’s age.  But I genuinely can’t get my head around how quickly some of us take to someone who has had the odd good game

Loads calling Jones a 'rock' on twitter. We've got the second worst defence record in the league ffs
  • Jurgen Klopp stepping down as manager creates an opportunity...

Sadly I don't think Klopp's mad enough to take on the job, but pretty much all of Liverpool's coaching staff will be moving on at the end of the season, there might just be a youngish coach in there who's about to be made redundant and might fancy an opportunity of moving into management. 

Alternatively when Dean Holden was sacked the club tried to get Des Buckingham in, but the CFG wouldn't release him from his contract. All the manager's and coaching staff at the CFG are well trained and highly regarded, there must be one somewhere who wants to follow Des Buckingham and Liam Manning into management. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Holden was unlucky to lose his two big strikers and thus go on a losing streak, soon getting the sack. Appleton did well when first appointed as he had Leaburn and Aneke back. Then his luck changed with Aneke injured and replaced by the disappointing Tedic. With Leaburn injured we went on our winless streak, resulting in 'Apples' losing his job. Luck is a huge factor in football success. Having your key players available and playing teams who are out of confidence or lacking their stars. Plus of course taking goal opportunities and hoping your opponents do not score their 'worldies' against you.
    Whoever gets our head coach/manager post will need to be a very lucky man indeed!
  • I put £50 on Rowett to be the next Millwall manager.

I haven't put any money on Rowett to be the next Charlton manager.  Yet.
  • cabbles said:
    Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:

😷
    It’s bizarre.  Someone tweeted Bakinson was ‘mustard’ off the back of the P’boro game the other week.  You would’ve thought that the last however many years since Curbs left (bar the interlude’s under Powell and Bowyer), would’ve hardened a sense of realism.  

There are some ridiculous examples.  We had a few talk of signing Lisbie’s son after the Cray Valley game.  

I genuinely question myself about it sometimes.  Am I just too negative now.  For me, I know I was lucky enough to be part of that Curbs era, but that is what I measure success against.  The club were moving forward, there was a purpose.  For me, if that doesn’t exist, that collective purpose, top down, and we aren’t being guided by someone like a Powell or a Bowyer who knew the fabric of the club, everything else seems immaterial and the cast of characters that have come with it.

I genuinely care for none of them.  I won’t remember Blackett Taylor like I did John Robinson say.

maybe it’s age.  But I genuinely can’t get my head around how quickly some of us take to someone who has had the odd good game

I’m 36 and I’m the same but with football in general. I just don’t think the game is that exciting like it was once was. Players are just athletes, I personally think there is little skill or ability needed to make it. 

That tied in with the fact that players don’t stay at the club long enough to grow that affiliation! Dobbo is the closest to that and I do love him to be fair! 
  • Genuinely worried that we might go down, considering we can’t win away from home I only see 4 favourable home games.
    Need a Johnnie Jackson type run to get us out of this hole.
    Next manager is crucial to the future of this club.
  • Having listened to Peter Shirtliff doing a guest commentary stint on Charlton Live today, I reckon if we need a defensive coach he would fit the bill perfectly.
    His comments on our poor defensive mistakes were all spot on each and every time.
  • cabbles said:
    Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:

😷

It’s not you, there’s a range of opinions and some very strange ones out there. Last season some thought Gilbey could still be good enough for us. Some really wanted to keep Morgan. This time last year quite a few said they’d happily see JRS go back to Palace (there’s that bizarre relationship with wingers, same with CBT this season).

Maybe it’s partly wanting to be optimistic, but you only have to compare recent seasons with our promotion winning squads to see a big difference in quality.
  • So Warburton comes into 2/1 Jt fav & no one says a word.
  • PWADDICK said:
    Genuinely worried that we might go down, considering we can’t win away from home I only see 4 favourable home games.
    When Jackson took over we were 4 pts INSIDE the relegation zone after 13 games played while our current situation isn't great I don't think it's as bleak as it was back then, a couple of wins ought to really move us clear of the relegation zone. Fleetwood and Carlisle look like they're nailed on to go down. If we were to really get sucked into trouble as it stands there are 6 pts between Exeter in 14th and Reading in 21st covering 8 teams including ourselves of course for 1 relegation place with Cheltenham still 3 pts behind Reading.

At some point this miserable winless run will come to an end, I think we'll be fine but agreed the next manager appointment is crucial.
  • Sponsored links:

• PWADDICK said:
    Genuinely worried that we might go down, considering we can’t win away from home I only see 4 favourable home games.
    When Jackson took over we were 4 pts INSIDE the relegation zone after 13 games played while our current situation isn't great I don't think it's as bleak as it was back then, a couple of wins ought to really move us clear of the relegation zone. Fleetwood and Carlisle look like they're nailed on to go down. If we were to really get sucked into trouble as it stands there are 6 pts between Exeter in 14th and Reading in 21st covering 8 teams including ourselves of course for 1 relegation place with Cheltenham still 3 pts behind Reading.

At some point this miserable winless run will come to an end, I think we'll be fine but agreed the next manager appointment is crucial.
    I think things will look a bit clearer after February. We have some tough matches, as well as playing Reading & Lincoln. Tes around us also have some tough games, and again, some are playing each other. If we only pick up 2 or 3 points next month we could well be 4th bottom. 

This really could be the season we get relegated. Not only are we not winning games, we are now not scoring many either.
     Since some idiot put up a thread in December about Alfie May getting 30 goals this season he's hardly scored. And then we go & give away our 2nd top scorer & best assist maker......and let him play against us TWICE in a month. 

With idiots like that running the club we deserve to get relegated. 

• Why's Nigel Pearson not on the list? Did anything happen or is his name just right below these managers on the betting list? I used the search funtion on this forum to see what happened regarding Pearson but it wouldn't show all the results in this thread apart from just one post from 4 days ago.
  • Jessie said:

Why's Nigel Pearson not on the list? Did anything happen or is his name just right below these managers on the betting list? I used the search funtion on this forum to see what happened regarding Pearson but it wouldn't show all the results in this thread apart from just one post from 4 days ago.
    His health is not good. Back probs. Neuro probs. 
  • John Barnes .... everyone deserves another chance.
  • Or perhaps Paulo Di Canio
  • So Warburton comes into 2/1 Jt fav & no one says a word.
    Someone with plenty of dough could be rolling in it if happens 
  • It’s a huge moment for Scott and co. 
    I like Fleming but I hope they don’t edge their bets to see if he gets a result v Derby. 
    They need to appoint an experienced manager this week. Jones, Rowett, Neil whoever. Don’t go the cheap option and stick with Cutis and Pearce. In another situation that might be a prudent move. But I don’t think we have the time to mess about here.

We are staring relegation to the fourth division in the face. The board need to act swiftly this week. Not wait and see. 

• Morning odds…

- Nathan Jones 6/4
    - Nigel Pearson 3/1
    - Neil Warnock 4/1
    - Michael Duff 5/1
    - John Eustace 5/1
    - Mark Bonner 10/1
    - Gareth Ainsworth 14/1
    - 16/1 bar
    27th January morning update…

- Nathan Jones 1/2
    - Alex Neil 7/2