Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• edited January 27
    supaclive said:
    Ok, so I've heard something.
    You know where I live.
    We are talking ££
    A good manager is listening as he feels he has unfinished business at Charlton and enjoyed his time there as a player.

OMG
    I might literally end up as a proper "in the know"

I'd be cursed!
    Could this be about Paddy McCarthy? Saw him on the odds list. Is seemingly a well respected coach (if you can look past the shite badge he wears while doing it) 
  • supaclive said:
    You know where I live.
    We are talking ££
    A good manager is listening as he feels he has unfinished business at Charlton and enjoyed his time there as a player.

OMG

I'd be cursed!
    Could this be about Paddy McCarthy? Saw him on the odds list. Is seemingly a well respected coach (if you can look past the shite badge he wears while doing it) 
    No, he’s Palace’s assistant manager. Unless supaclive has moved to Croydon?
  • supaclive said:
    You know where I live.
    We are talking ££

OMG

I'd be cursed!

Doubt McCarthy would cost much. Greedy Parker however…?
  • ozaddick said:
    Sadly there’s nothing in that piece that encourages me to think he’s actually one of the favourites. I do think he might be in the mix if it transpires that we cannot persuade one of our prime targets to join. I’d be perfectly happy to have Warnock for six months rather than have to go with our third or fourth choice. Apart from giving us a good chance of getting out of trouble I think he’d just lift the entire club.
  • Read that Jason Euell wants the job
    of course he does
  • Read that Jason Euell wants the job
    of course he does
    I’d imagine Euell would want to be part of the 1st team set up alongside Fleming who he was with at Bristol City 
  • Sponsored links:

• CafcSCP said:
    Read that Jason Euell wants the job
    of course he does
    I’d imagine Euell would want to be part of the 1st team set up alongside Fleming who he was with at Bristol City 
    Euell has done those jobs already. I imagine he feels he’s ready to manage.
  • Cawley drops Rowett’s name but says it’s unlikely he would drop to League One. The fact his name is even mentioned is good though.

https://x.com/richcawleyslp/status/1751226701097337207?s=46&t=ynww82GMl7VKBjthBflU0g
  • CafcSCP said:
    of course he does
    Of course you can never tell but I’d say Fleming is more qualified than Jason. I’d be pretty worried if Euell were to get the job.
  • ozaddick said:
    Sadly there’s nothing in that piece that encourages me to think he’s actually one of the favourites. I do think he might be in the mix if it transpires that we cannot persuade one of our prime targets to join. I’d be perfectly happy to have Warnock for six months rather than have to go with our third or fourth choice. Apart from giving us a good chance of getting out of trouble I think he’d just lift the entire club.
    18 months - a relegation battle followed by a promotion charge - right up his street 
  • CafcSCP said:
    of course he does
    Of course you can never tell but I’d say Fleming is more qualified than Jason. I’d be pretty worried if Euell were to get the job.
    From what Fleming said in his press conference I took it that he doesn’t want to be a manager. Talked about being 55 and knowing what he is. Different with Euell as we know he wants to manage having applied for the Wimbledon job.
  • supaclive said:
    I find it funny that Millwall Fan is laughing at anybody suggesting Rowett..... 
    I just can’t see him dropping down to L1, unless it was to a genuinely big club like Sheffield Wednesday (next season) or Derby. 

Why would he? He is one of very few managers who left his previous job without being sacked. He left with his reputation still intact. From the outside looking in he did a fantastic job at ours. The next time a decent job in the championship comes up he will be in the running, without doubt. 

I just think the Charlton job would be seen as too much agg and insecurity for a manager of his standing. Same with Warnock. You need someone who is a bit desperate to start out in it or get back in to it. Neither Warnock or Rowett come under that category. They know a decent job will come along sooner or later. Why risk their reputation by going to Charlton where it will more than likely go belly up for them. 

Sorry, I just say it as I see it. 

"A manager of his standing" :D
  • George Elokobi?
    Saw a clip of him talking to a group of Maidstone fans, with his squad at Portman Road. That’s how you unite a club. 
  • Scoham said:
    CafcSCP said:
    of course he does
    From what Fleming said in his press conference I took it that he doesn’t want to be a manager. Talked about being 55 and knowing what he is. Different with Euell as we know he wants to manage having applied for the Wimbledon job.
    I said as much earlier. If he was going to try for management then he’d have done it long ago. My point is he’s still probably more qualified in terms of experience than Jason. We definitely don’t need a complete rookie like JE at the moment. 
  • edited January 27
    The more I hear from Fleming, the more I'm liking him tbh
  • Sponsored links:

• Here me out..

George Elokobi!!
  • edited January 27
  • Ok - I’m not gonna name names. I’m looking at the issue logically like any business or organisation that is failing.

1) Shown again by the performance today, we have a lot of players who aren’t very good. This has been enhanced by a lack of confidence which is being fed by (an understandable) broken atmosphere in the stands and around the club.

2) We can get Pep or Klopp in - technically we simply are lacking too much to approach this challenge in a way that expects the team to become executionally better overnight. Or at least in the short period of time we have left.

3) it is a pretty large sample (40 years in my lifetime) that states our greatest achievements have always come in a way that’s uniquely Charlton. We may not have always had the players that on paper reflected the achievements on the pitch. But we can fight and that spirit has got us up, and kept us up before.

We are not good enough in pure skill and talent alone. But that doesn’t mean we can’t stay up. When Riga kept us up…. When Powell almost got us in the play offs in the first year after the league one title…… it wasn’t done on playing teams off the park.

The club had a special feel.

Whoever takes over needs to perform the footballing equivalent of CPR. And that could be a hire that creates a booming atmosphere at the first match back.

Theres time to take care of a more sustainable on pitch set up - but for now we need someone to come back and get the Charlton Athletic back.
  • If anyone is interested in the job let’s hope they weren’t there today. 
  • supaclive said:
    Gribbo said:
    The more I hear from Fleming, the more I'm liking him tbh
    He talks very well - but that set up for today's game - with 8 defenders on the pitch to start with isn't for me

Hopefully just an attempt to stop the rot, Curbs-style. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, if he's still in charge for the next game and plays the same team/formation I'll be peed off

• Typically measured responses from Charlton fans to an interview on twitter