Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• If people thought Appleton just stood on the side then wait till you see Neil. Stoke fans are loving their new manager as he’s showing more enthusiasm and more attacking football. 

Just Appleton part 2 

He's calmed down then. This is my abiding memory of Alex Neil at Hamilton v Dumbarton
    " Neil was dismissed for a moment of madness when he appeared to butt Gilhaney with six minutes to go and
    Accies trailing 2-1.

The 10 men copped a thrashing – their first defeat in 12 matches – and fell from top spot to two points behind new leaders Dundee with just one game left."

To be fair they won their next game 10-2!

• With the kind of people we are being linked with it’s going exactly as I feared ….. It NEVER works bringing in a Jones / Neill etc character that on paper you think will be good. Our club is broken and Charlton success has always coincided with that special magic in the stands and around the whole place.

Not much else to add anymore.
  • Having listened to Fleming's press conference I'd be happy with him at the helm for the next few weeks whilst we speak to serious contenders. You never know, Fleming might just be the man. 
    Another dithering beta nice guy by the sounds of him in the press conference . Get in Warnock. Winning AND a bit of cloughie entertainment too! 
  • JamesSeed said:
    I know the reality is that we’re not that attractive a proposition currently but for me all the names being mentioned are still basically punts. All recently in employment in 2023 yet all currently out of work. The exception for me is Warnock who right up front isn’t a long term option but would fit our circumstances perfectly. Impact manager to get us out of relegation trouble and has eight (?) promotions so could set us up for next season and give the club the opportunity to do a proper recruitment instead of choosing from what is a small and not that inspiring pool of unemployed managers. I’m not enthusiastic about any of the names likely to get the gig.

The sad reality is we are not an inspiring club to come to.
    I won't blame the damaged fans as most are having therapy or are on the waiting list.

I had Cognitive behaviour Therapy* a decade ago after the spinning plates came crashing down together but unfortunately when I needed to do some revision last week as under pressure a tad(aren't we all) seeing CBT on the folder made me shed a tear !

Laughter is a good therapy but when depression strikes it's the 1st thing that goes missing. Pleased that so many on here still have a wonderful gallows sense of humour as without it life is just too heavy.

* Not for everyone but worked for me.
    Is it where the ‘win every match’ thing came from? 😉

James !
    Do me a favour, 'Win every match' is the mantra from the one and only Seth Plum. I say one but that doesn't include the original.

Interesting facts about Seth Plum who came from north of the Thames. 
    Played one international for England but unfortunately left Charlton and joined Chelsea and later at Southend United.

Seth relocated back to Tottenham, and worked as a petrol pump attendant in the 60's until he ran out of gas and sadly passed away in 1969 at 70 years old. 
    Oh yes 👍

Thanks for the Seth Plum bio. 

Apols for the mix up 😂
  • I’m posting my flag to the Nathan Jones mast. 
    He has a good mix of bonkers and arrogance, desire, drive and belief in his abilities. He instills belief in his players and he’s completely absorbed by the process. 
    His tactical understanding is very good, clearly analyses the opposition, has more than one match plan and will adjust quickly when needed.

With Nathan Jones’ abilities and the players we have now, I absolutely believe we won’t go down! 

I actually like that he went to Southampton when on a good thing with Luton because he was ambitious and wanted to test himself tactically against the best managers. (he’s mentioned this more than once before)

He did a great job with Luton, twice getting them to punch above their weight and as well as he’d done, Stoke and Saints offered a sizeable step up regarding an all round size of club.

So does Charlton, potentially, in most things apart from League position. Money is being spent on better players, we’re now talking with a better calibre of manager, have better facilities and better financial backing than that of Luton (pre-premier league - I believe our wage bill was about £2m more than theirs last season). 

He may just be bonkers & arrogant enough to climb the leagues again but with enough time and support, not need to jump ship to fulfil his ultimate ambition. As fans we desperately need it, it’s been far too long! The owners - they need him to realise it, to fulfil their financial targets.

It just feels like the right opportunity at the right time! 
    In terms of being a mix of a bit of a coup but also somehow exciting - NJ is my preferred choice. I think if he wins a few games and shows that there’s a plan that will unite the place just fine. Plus we can kid ourselves there’s a Charlton connection there if we must. 

I’m sure I’d get my head around Neill and get up for it (Norwich friends of mine have given him a good write up) but just feels a bit dull and I’m not sure how much patience he’d get.

I don’t want Warnock - the guy is an annoying prick and it just feels like an inelegant solution.’
  • supaclive said:
    Ok, so I've heard something.
    You know where I live.
    We are talking ££
    A good manager is listening as he feels he has unfinished business at Charlton and enjoyed his time there as a player.

OMG
    I might literally end up as a proper "in the know"

I'd be cursed!
    Parker
  • TeeC said:
    supaclive said:
    You know where I live.
    We are talking ££
    A good manager is listening as he feels he has unfinished business at Charlton and enjoyed his time there as a player.

OMG

I'd be cursed!
    Parker

Was the name that immediately came to mind for me too. Can't think of many others that fit the bill 
  • Sponsored links:

• Does he live in Parker's House?
  • MarcusH26 said:
    TeeC said:
    supaclive said:
    You know where I live.
    We are talking ££

OMG

I'd be cursed!
    Parker

Was the name that immediately came to mind for me too. Can't think of many others that fit the bill 
    Rowett?
  • TeeC said:
    I’m posting my flag to the Nathan Jones mast. 
    He has a good mix of bonkers and arrogance, desire, drive and belief in his abilities. He instills belief in his players and he’s completely absorbed by the process. 
    His tactical understanding is very good, clearly analyses the opposition, has more than one match plan and will adjust quickly when needed.

With Nathan Jones’ abilities and the players we have now, I absolutely believe we won’t go down! 

I actually like that he went to Southampton when on a good thing with Luton because he was ambitious and wanted to test himself tactically against the best managers. (he’s mentioned this more than once before)

He did a great job with Luton, twice getting them to punch above their weight and as well as he’d done, Stoke and Saints offered a sizeable step up regarding an all round size of club.

So does Charlton, potentially, in most things apart from League position. Money is being spent on better players, we’re now talking with a better calibre of manager, have better facilities and better financial backing than that of Luton (pre-premier league - I believe our wage bill was about £2m more than theirs last season). 

He may just be bonkers & arrogant enough to climb the leagues again but with enough time and support, not need to jump ship to fulfil his ultimate ambition. As fans we desperately need it, it’s been far too long! The owners - they need him to realise it, to fulfil their financial targets.

In terms of being a mix of a bit of a coup but also somehow exciting - NJ is my preferred choice. I think if he wins a few games and shows that there’s a plan that will unite the place just fine. Plus we can kid ourselves there’s a Charlton connection there if we must. 

I’m sure I’d get my head around Neill and get up for it (Norwich friends of mine have given him a good write up) but just feels a bit dull and I’m not sure how much patience he’d get.

I don’t want Warnock - the guy is an annoying prick and it just feels like an inelegant solution.’
    "Inelegant solution"!!!! Do you want to win football matches or prepare a corporate cheese and wine evening? 

This used to be a working class sport. Now it's a soporific bore with "inelegant solutions" to shun. 
  • TeeC said:
    I’m posting my flag to the Nathan Jones mast. 

"Inelegant solution"!!!! Do you want to win football matches or prepare a corporate cheese and wine evening? 

This used to be a working class sport. Now it's a soporific bore with "inelegant solutions" to shun. 
    Haha. Brilliant - you’ve made me laugh there. You seem to want to select our next manager in order to express your philosophical and political opinions. 
  • TeeC said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    TeeC said:
    supaclive said:
    You know where I live.
    We are talking ££

OMG

I'd be cursed!
    Parker

Rowett?

I'd kind of ruled him out after he said his family was still Midlands based after he left Millwall but of course would fit the bill too. 
  • supaclive said:
    You know where I live.
    We are talking ££

OMG

I'd be cursed!
    Rowett 
  • supaclive said:
    You know where I live.
    We are talking ££

OMG

I'd be cursed!
    I don’t know where you live, perhaps my party invite got lost in the post.
  • supaclive said:
    You know where I live.
    We are talking ££

OMG

I'd be cursed!
    I've said plenty of times where in the country I live and why I thought a certain person wouldn't be interested in the Charlton job..... and now .... well.... hmmm..... 

I am not sure we'd pay him as much as his last job but it might not be all about the ££ apparently.... 
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    You know where I live.
    We are talking ££

OMG

I'd be cursed!
    I've said plenty of times where in the country I live and why I thought a certain person wouldn't be interested in the Charlton job..... and now .... well.... hmmm..... 

I am not sure we'd pay him as much as his last job but it might not be all about the ££ apparently.... 
    definitely Rowett then
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    You know where I live.
    We are talking ££

OMG

I'd be cursed!

Was this person’s last job abroad?
  • Sponsored links:

Cheers Nath
  • @supaclive lives near Derby so you’d guess he’s talking about Rowett.
  • Not that up for Rowett, albeit a huge improvement on Apples. Definitely feels like we’re an attractive proposition though. 

I think this is where I am. Nathan Jones would either be phenomenal or an absolute car crash. I’d gamble.
  • Scoham said:
    mart77 said:
    @supaclive lives near Derby so you’d guess he’s talking about Rowett.
    Or Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink who last managed Burton 👀 
    Wouldn’t match the previously higher paid job though I thought. 
    Would much more prefer Rowett tbh