Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Warnock for me is just a fix till the end of the season and I really want the club to use this appointment as a springboard into next season so he isn't top of my list. Neil's time at Stoke really did fall apart but he is better than any of our last 48odd managers (Or however many we've had in the last few years).

Jones and Duff are still my top two though as I think they're success in league one and their style of play matching our current squad is the best for us going forward.
  • Andy Scott is still 33/1...just saying...🙄
  • John Eustace is another interesting option. Did really well at Birmingham on a tight budget before they fucked him over & appointed rooney.

Promising up and coming manager but No experience though and i feel thats exactly what we need right now to get us out this mess
  • edited January 26
    I think Warnock would only take it if we gave him 18 months minimum - he talked recently about how he wants to keep going for a little while yet but would rather be involved with a team that has a go at promotion.

That’s not us this season but it will be next season.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. He’d have not been my first choice in years past but he would give us something that we haven’t had in a long long time. 

If he’s here for 18-24 months, that hopefully gives us long enough to shake off the “merry go round of managers” tag and looking ahead to the next bloke, we would finally be in with a proper chance of attracting someone who’s on the up and willing to leave their current post for us.
  • edited January 26
    I know the reality is that we’re not that attractive a proposition currently but for me all the names being mentioned are still basically punts. All recently in employment in 2023 yet all currently out of work. The exception for me is Warnock who right up front isn’t a long term option but would fit our circumstances perfectly. Impact manager to get us out of relegation trouble and has eight (?) promotions so could set us up for next season and give the club the opportunity to do a proper recruitment instead of choosing from what is a small and not that inspiring pool of unemployed managers. I’m not enthusiastic about any of the names likely to get the gig.
  • https://youtu.be/y0Iry_LFCr4?si=EhyZUObz1_F_cCR8

Long video with Eustace, talks about starting out with a 352 but injuries forced a switch. 
  • I know the reality is that we’re not that attractive a proposition currently but for me all the names being mentioned are still basically punts. All recently in employment in 2023 yet all currently out of work. The exception for me is Warnock who right up front isn’t a long term option but would fit our circumstances perfectly. Impact manager to get us out of relegation trouble and has eight (?) promotions so could set us up for next season and give the club the opportunity to do a proper recruitment instead of choosing from what is a small and not that inspiring pool of unemployed managers. I’m not enthusiastic about any of the names likely to get the gig.
    All the names in the betting frame are ALL decent options. What realistic name could you mention that wouldn't be a punt? 
  • Patience is needed with the next manager, this next run of games looks horrible for us…
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

Someone has put some money on Alex Neil then, he’s now favourite 😂

Insider information from a Dubai connection 🤔
  • RC_CAFC said:
    I know the reality is that we’re not that attractive a proposition currently but for me all the names being mentioned are still basically punts. All recently in employment in 2023 yet all currently out of work. The exception for me is Warnock who right up front isn’t a long term option but would fit our circumstances perfectly. Impact manager to get us out of relegation trouble and has eight (?) promotions so could set us up for next season and give the club the opportunity to do a proper recruitment instead of choosing from what is a small and not that inspiring pool of unemployed managers. I’m not enthusiastic about any of the names likely to get the gig.
    All the names in the betting frame are ALL decent options. What realistic name could you mention that wouldn't be a punt? 

• Can't believe people are seriously talking about Warnock! (Of course he'd be great, but he wouldn't touch us with a bargepole)
  • Hey guys, I am thinking of making a joke referencing Klopp leaving Liverpool and tying it into our current plight. Just wanted to double check no one had done it first?
    He'll be a new Manager when Terry Taylor is fit 
  • boggzy said:
    Can't believe people are seriously talking about Warnock! (Of course he'd be great, but he wouldn't touch us with a bargepole)
    Why ? He’s out of a job. Wouldn’t want to take anything long term and has fairly recently said he’s up for another management role. Six months contract. Why wouldn’t that be even just a little bit attractive to him ?
  • Jurgen Klopp is leaving Liverpool at the end of the season.  He hasn't been linked to a move to the Valley, yet, but surely it is only a matter of time...
     But what’s his win percentage?
  • 18 month contract with a promise to continue to invest the level we have this January & to be left alone to manage his way would tempt Warnock I am sure. 
  • boggzy said:
    Can't believe people are seriously talking about Warnock! (Of course he'd be great, but he wouldn't touch us with a bargepole)
    Why ? He’s out of a job. Wouldn’t want to take anything long term and has fairly recently said he’s up for another management role. Six months contract. Why wouldn’t that be even just a little bit attractive to him ?
    Because we're a complete basket case! 

If he takes it I'll eat my words, but I won't hold my breath.
  • John Eustace is another interesting option. Did really well at Birmingham on a tight budget before they fucked him over & appointed rooney.

Cawley said he's based in the midlands and wasn't interested in moving for Millwall so doubts he would be for us 
  • Sponsored links:

• PWADDICK said:
    boggzy said:
    Cawley literally said he’d be interested 
    I'd personally take that with a huge pinch of salt.
  • edited January 26
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think I'd take any of the top 5 options. 
    -

Agreed, it’s nice being linked with decent managers for a change.
    Ones we’ve actually heard of!
  • boggzy said:
    PWADDICK said:
    boggzy said:
    Cawley literally said he’d be interested 
    I'd personally take that with a huge pinch of salt.
    He was also heavily linked with the Notts County job recently. Don’t think it’s as far fetched as you believe that he’d drop to a lower league.

He’s in his mid 70s and is caring less and less about extending his career beyond the next few years. It sounds like he’s more interested in “having fun” and being picky about finding the right challenge regardless of league.
  • I know the reality is that we’re not that attractive a proposition currently but for me all the names being mentioned are still basically punts. All recently in employment in 2023 yet all currently out of work. The exception for me is Warnock who right up front isn’t a long term option but would fit our circumstances perfectly. Impact manager to get us out of relegation trouble and has eight (?) promotions so could set us up for next season and give the club the opportunity to do a proper recruitment instead of choosing from what is a small and not that inspiring pool of unemployed managers. I’m not enthusiastic about any of the names likely to get the gig.

The sad reality is we are not an inspiring club to come to.
    I won't blame the damaged fans as most are having therapy or are on the waiting list.

I had Cognitive behaviour Therapy* a decade ago after the spinning plates came crashing down together but unfortunately when I needed to do some revision last week as under pressure a tad(aren't we all) seeing CBT on the folder made me shed a tear !

Laughter is a good therapy but when depression strikes it's the 1st thing that goes missing. Pleased that so many on here still have a wonderful gallows sense of humour as without it life is just too heavy.

* Not for everyone but worked for me.
    Is it where the ‘win every match’ thing came from? 😉
  • Chunes said:
    My Southampton supporting mate says Nathan Jones is a born again Christian and he talks about Christ the Lord in his post-match interviews. That would be different!

To be fair after many a press conference/owner’s statement I’ve uttered  the words “Jesus Christ “ so it works both ways! 😉
  • seth plum said:
    It is quite acceptable for Millwall fans to take the piss over our latest troubles. 
    I wish that @MillwallFan was better at it though, no creative turn of phrase, no memorable original lines, rather predictably vapid. 
    For a supporter base who ‘don’t care’ I am surprised any Millwall fan wants to bother to post their low grade GCSE cliché’s anyway, when they could be celebrating the new name of Zampa road.
    @MillwallFan is a good lad.

He took things very well when @DOUCHER and me were getting very excited with their slide down the table.
    It’ll be a little different when he get parole 😉
  • boggzy said:
    boggzy said:
    Because we're a complete basket case! 

If he takes it I'll eat my words, but I won't hold my breath.
    I don’t think he’ll take it either even if offered because I think he’d see through the bullshit in ten seconds.
  • edited January 26
    JamesSeed said:

The sad reality is we are not an inspiring club to come to.
    I won't blame the damaged fans as most are having therapy or are on the waiting list.

I had Cognitive behaviour Therapy* a decade ago after the spinning plates came crashing down together but unfortunately when I needed to do some revision last week as under pressure a tad(aren't we all) seeing CBT on the folder made me shed a tear !

Laughter is a good therapy but when depression strikes it's the 1st thing that goes missing. Pleased that so many on here still have a wonderful gallows sense of humour as without it life is just too heavy.

* Not for everyone but worked for me.
    Is it where the ‘win every match’ thing came from? 😉

James !
    Do me a favour, 'Win every match' is the mantra from the one and only Seth Plum. I say one but that doesn't include the original.

Interesting facts about Seth Plum who came from north of the Thames. 
    Played one international for England but unfortunately left Charlton and joined Chelsea and later at Southend United.

Seth relocated back to Tottenham, and worked as a petrol pump attendant in the 60's until he ran out of gas and sadly passed away in 1969 at 70 years old.