Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• kafka said:
    I think win/lose %s are pretty irrelevant unless they’re in the same division. Lennie wouldn’t score brilliantly in the old Division One, but he was a high-achieving manager in the circumstances. 

Then you have to factor in resources across the board. Easier to win games at Sunderland in L1 than at Accrington, you would think.
    Agreed. Neil's is skewed by the 54% win rate at Hamilton Academicals.
    If you take out his best and worse performances as manager his win/loss % is 43.

Not sure what any of that means or proves, but I wanted to look at it anyway.
  • Neil would be a bit of a meh appointment. Warnock would probably be my first choice, but dont think he would come here. Think Nathan Jones would be a good fit for us
  • I think win/lose %s are pretty irrelevant unless they’re in the same division. Lennie wouldn’t score brilliantly in the old Division One, but he was a high-achieving manager in the circumstances. 

Then you have to factor in resources across the board. Easier to win games at Sunderland in L1 than at Accrington, you would think.

I agree, and did say they're of limited value, but how much store gets placed on them in the selection process is an interesting one.
  • Neil feels about our level. Another Rodwell / Methven connection 
  • edited January 26
    Neil feels about our level. Another Rodwell / Methven connection 
    Totally uninspiring choice imo, but I guess that's the reality of who we can attract these days 
  • edited January 26
  • I'd prefer Neil over Jones & Warnock. Would still like to give Fleming a few games though. 
  • Think Neil would be a great manager for a side at this level. He proved that recently with Sunderland. 

We can’t go back to a 4-2-3-1 formation though, we’ve got to commit to 2 strikers because our best player fits that system. The new manager needs to be 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 so if it’s Neil hopefully he’s willing to build around that 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    That’s the one 
    I hope they're aware Neil had a lot of success with his trademark 4-2-3-1 at other clubs, but at Stoke he was forced to play with wingbacks because of the squad and we know how that turned out. 
    Fair points.. To be honest that formation you have mentioned, I believe will suit our midfield well.. I would say we are certainly looking to bring a winger or two in, to give us flexbility.
    I really dislike the idea that we might start playing a lone striker formation again when we've got Alfie May. Where is the joined up thinking from these guys. At least make it a switch between 352 and the diamond. Signing wingers doesn't make sense.
    I don’t see the point reading too much into formations. Any half-decent manager or coach will adapt or play how they want to. 
  • Maybe some can back this up with stats but doesn't it feel that managers who get promoted from this league are usually in their first job or have come up from below? How many times does it work out a manager dropped down a league and then getting a team promoted? This isn't to say we shouldn't be looking at the names rumoured to be on the shortlist just I hope we aren't going for a name rather than ability.
  • edited January 26
    colthe3rd said:
    Maybe some can back this up with stats but doesn't it feel that managers who get promoted from this league are usually in their first job or have come up from below? How many times does it work out a manager dropped down a league and then getting a team promoted? This isn't to say we shouldn't be looking at the names rumoured to be on the shortlist just I hope we aren't going for a name rather than ability.
    Already been discussed on this thread. Generally yes, it’s early career coaches in their first or second jobs and/or seasons that have got clubs promoted.
  • edited January 26
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    That’s the one 
    I hope they're aware Neil had a lot of success with his trademark 4-2-3-1 at other clubs, but at Stoke he was forced to play with wingbacks because of the squad and we know how that turned out. 
    Fair points.. To be honest that formation you have mentioned, I believe will suit our midfield well.. I would say we are certainly looking to bring a winger or two in, to give us flexbility.
    I really dislike the idea that we might start playing a lone striker formation again when we've got Alfie May. Where is the joined up thinking from these guys. At least make it a switch between 352 and the diamond. Signing wingers doesn't make sense.
    I don’t see the point reading too much into formations. Any half-decent manager or coach will adapt or play how they want to. 
    But the one we're talking about has only ever played 4-2-3-1, and when he had to play a 352 it was a failure. 
  • 1. Jones
    2. Neil
    Not keen on Duff. Warnock feels weird.

• We have to wait until the end of the season, but surely it has to be Klopp?
  • Would say no to Warnock. Just don't think it's the right move. Duff would be good , Jones I have questions about if he can turn his career around, Neil is a safe pair of hands at this level and championship level. Still like the idea of at least trying to talk to John Eustace even if it's ultimately a no. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Won promotion from the championship and league one.. But that being said, his last job didn't go to well..
    Alex Neil.
    Take away his stats with Hamilton and he's not too hot.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Won promotion from the championship and league one.. But that being said, his last job didn't go to well..
    Paul Heckingbottom
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    That’s the one 
    But the one we're talking about has only ever played 4-2-3-1, and when he had to play a 352 it was a failure. 
    Soooo, don’t play 3-5-2 then. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Paul Heckingbottom
    Sorry should have read to the bottom first. 
  • kafka said:
    I think win/lose %s are pretty irrelevant unless they’re in the same division. Lennie wouldn’t score brilliantly in the old Division One, but he was a high-achieving manager in the circumstances. 

Agreed. Neil's is skewed by the 54% win rate at Hamilton Academicals.
    Yep, jock football stats can be ignored.
  • Percentage win rates are a load of b****ks. So many factors such as budget, timespan, division etc 

means very little 

That's correct Gaffer.
    Another pointless stat is possession.
    Cafc had 75% possession at Burton away from home but still managed to lose 2-0 as we have a penchant for defending like a Sunday park team at least a few times every match.

Maybe best not to judge anyone at Stoke in recent years.
  • I'd prefer Neil over Jones & Warnock. Would still like to give Fleming a few games though. 
    This, if the guy starts winning why change, but don't give him a long term contract straight away
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Alex Neil.
    Can say that about any manager.. He did a good job at Norwich, Sunderland not to bad at Preston.. And then Stoke, he has been the best of a bad bunch
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Alex Neil.
    Take away Powell and Bowyer’s Charlton stats and they’re not either. You can do this with most managers at our level.
    Fair comment.
  • colthe3rd said:
    Maybe some can back this up with stats but doesn't it feel that managers who get promoted from this league are usually in their first job or have come up from below? How many times does it work out a manager dropped down a league and then getting a team promoted? This isn't to say we shouldn't be looking at the names rumoured to be on the shortlist just I hope we aren't going for a name rather than ability.
    Already been discussed on this thread. Generally yes, it’s early career coaches in the first or second jobs and/or seasons that have got clubs promoted.
    Thanks, I skipped most as I assumed it was mostly screenshots of latest odds as usual.
  • CAFCOlly said:
    Would take Warnock (preference) or Neil.

For some reason I feel that Jones or Duff would end in tears (based upon nothing but gut feeling).
    Never a good idea having the mutton vindaloo is it...🙄