Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Having listened to Fleming's press conference I'd be happy with him at the helm for the next few weeks whilst we speak to serious contenders. You never know, Fleming might just be the man. 
    That is the sensible approach. Worried Scott won't share it. If Fleming and Pearce turn it around quickly it at least buys you time. If they don't work, well you can easily do something about it quickly. They may well work in the same way Jones may or may not work but there is a finality to it if Jones doesn't work. 
    Think we have to consider the possibility that Fleming doesn’t actually want to be the head honcho. Hes 55 years old and I’m sure his coaching credentials and previous experience would have opened up opportunities for him to get a manager gig if he had sought it. 
  • shirty5 said:
    As much as I’d want it to, I don’t think the odds really mean that much in terms of managers coming in. 

Anyone can Chuck some cash on an outsider and they’ll jump up quite quickly. 

We’re not really going to have an idea who gets the job until we see them holding the scarf…

FWIW I surely the ambitious move is either Jones, Duff or Rowet
    Exactly. I got 6/1 on Appleton and he was appointed not long after that. 
    Please don't put any money on Danny Dyer.
    We've had enough dire managers.
  • Obviously Fleming is not going to be our new manager but I like his style, hope whoever is the permanent hire has a similar philosophy. 

I was raised on managers like Curbs & Powell managers who did not see defensive coaching as secondary to attacking. 

So sick in recent seasons watching our team get turned over by what on paper are lesser teams because they are well drilled and want it more then us. 

Give us some pride back at our club. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Yann897 said:
    With all due respect, I think Rowett, and a lot of the other names mentioned on this thread, would rather wait for a bigger job to come along. And a better run club. 
    A blatant dig and it's rewarded with a load of likes, really? 
    Agreed, weird.
    Personally I think @MillwallFan has hit the nail on the head . 

That's nice and all but do we really need a Millwall fan coming to tell us what the vast majority know?
    Let's just stick our fingers in our ears whenever another club supporter tells us exactly where our club is currently at.
    When it's a fierce rival AND we already know it, yeah lets do that. 
  • Even Bowyer would have failed (or resigned) with Scott sticking his nose in.

So will the next scapegoat. 
    I don't get posts like this. How many of the professional clubs in the top four divisions have directors of football who deal with transfers. It isn't just us! Rightly or wrongly It's the modern way

I don't get posts like this. How many of the professional clubs in the top four divisions have directors of football who deal with transfers. It isn't just us! Rightly or wrongly It's the modern way
    How many are blessed with both a technical director and a sporting director? 

The modern way it seems is getting as many of your mates involved as possible.

Thank goodness we’ve appointed a head of football administration too, so they are not distracted from their work.
    Yep. Almost like it’s just like politics ;0)
  • Dazzler21 said:
    With all due respect, I think Rowett, and a lot of the other names mentioned on this thread, would rather wait for a bigger job to come along. And a better run club. 
    Yeah sometimes he says okay stuff, other times he talks shit like this and gets away with it.
    So what part of my post was shit? This may be a hard pill to swallow but maybe the reason my post got likes was because it’s true, and the people who liked it are realists. 

I like a bit of banter as you’ll all know but you’ll also notice I’ve held back over the last few months (and even years). I’m not one to kick people when they’re down and you’ll see I have only really been posting on the Millwall threads or non football related ones. 

One dose of realism on this thread and you accuse me of talking shit! Bit harsh lol 😆
    You okay hun?

😉 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry just needed to post to stop a double hatrick of consecutive posts by JamesSeed 
    Damn you. Had an open goal there. 

Thank goodness we’ve appointed a head of football administration too, so they are not distracted from their work.
    That has digressed from the point re Scott sticking his nose in and how many clubs have someone doing a similar role to Scott.

i have an afc supporting friend who has shares. His view on a director of fottball

managers choice of forward, Josh davisson
    Dof- Al-hamadi 

it can work. The view that a dof sticks his nose in is antiquated 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Yeah sometimes he says okay stuff, other times he talks shit like this and gets away with it.
    So what part of my post was shit? This may be a hard pill to swallow but maybe the reason my post got likes was because it’s true, and the people who liked it are realists. 

I like a bit of banter as you’ll all know but you’ll also notice I’ve held back over the last few months (and even years). I’m not one to kick people when they’re down and you’ll see I have only really been posting on the Millwall threads or non football related ones. 

One dose of realism on this thread and you accuse me of talking shit! Bit harsh lol 😆
    It would be the best job he's had by a mile!
  • Scoham said:
    Just like when we sacked Holden and seemed to be approaching and interviewing so many different managers with different styles, it just looks like we don’t have a plan

Scott should know exactly what type of manager he wants, what style of football/set up he wants us to play and then just simply pick the best long term option that fits it. Surely that’s the sensible thing to do 

That has digressed from the point re Scott sticking his nose in and how many clubs have someone doing a similar role to Scott.

i have an afc supporting friend who has shares. His view on a director of fottball

Dof- Al-hamadi 

Indeed, but do we conceivably need two people in that role in L1? And thst’s before we get to Methven.
    You have to assume the budget (forecast budget) must be falling apart currently if scrutinised by the investors.

The revenue from ticket sales / hospitality must be falling off sharply and they will soon have to look at the expense of 'senior management' I anticipate. 

My worry is next week will see player outgoings to balance the books.
  • NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    Just like when we sacked Holden and seemed to be approaching and interviewing so many different managers with different styles, it just looks like we don’t have a plan

Scott should know exactly what type of manager he wants, what style of football/set up he wants us to play and then just simply pick the best long term option that fits it. Surely that’s the sensible thing to do 
    Could spin that either way - you might have a few long term choices but if they turn you down you want some good short term options.

We know Jones has been contacted but I don’t think we’ve had confirmation on any other name?

Dof- Al-hamadi 

Indeed, but do we conceivably need two people in that role in L1? And thst’s before we get to Methven.
    You have to assume the budget (forecast budget) must be falling apart currently if scrutinised by the investors.

The revenue from ticket sales / hospitality must be falling off sharply and they will soon have to look at the expense of 'senior management' I anticipate. 

My pal rang the club this morning trying to book a table for 5 at the Centre Circle suite and at 09:10 was told "no one is in yet who can help you and I don't know what time they'll be in." There's a grand for the club that they appear uninterested in getting. 
  • Sponsored links:

Dof- Al-hamadi 

My pal rang the club this morning trying to book a table for 5 at the Centre Circle suite and at 09:10 was told "no one is in yet who can help you and I don't know what time they'll be in." There's a grand for the club that they appear uninterested in getting. 
    Shoestring staffing I guess - not good; but at least we have the SMT gainfully employed  ensuring success on the pitch... :(
  • Some on here fail to grasp the big strategic picture of the Red Trouser Brigade.

How can the winning strategy of 8 + 8 + 8 possibly be implemented without 8 directors? 

• Klopp making himself available for the Charlton job...
  • It’s Klopp
    No thanks. Not available until next season.
  • Chunes said:
    My Southampton supporting mate says Nathan Jones is a born again Christian and he talks about Christ the Lord in his post-match interviews. That would be different!
    Richard Rufus as assistant 
    I think he's busy for the next 7 or so years 
  • edited January 26
  • Tha longer this goes on ,people start remembering lots of managers from the past that are out of work. Someone said to me that Kenny Jackett is still out there.
    Though it was mentioned tongue in cheek, it does make you shudder.
    If Jackett got the job, I would go and get mine. 

Dof- Al-hamadi 

Inevitably they will be massively under budget because it will have had to be based on unrealistic assumptions to lure the investors.

In one way the football gives them an out because it allows them to argue that the deficit is primarily the result of on-pitch failure.

In practice they already knew the ST revenue and the away ticket sales are relatively predictable. The wild card is cup progress, which we haven’t had. 

The difference in home ticket sales might be half a million over the year at most, but if you inflated expectations the gap will look bigger.

Commercial revenue is largely annualised, I’d expect. It won’t move around that much during the campaign.