Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• edited January 26
    RC_CAFC said:
    How good would it be to have a manager that jumps to a club higher in the pyramid because he’s done an outstanding job instead of sacked in disgrace. 
    When was the last time that happened at Charlton?

Closest it got was Lennie and think Middlesbrough were in the same division.

We have a problem most of the squad are not strong or good enough.
    Was it not Jim Rodwell that said at the live fans forum via YouTube that said judge us at the end of the transfer window.
    Got a funny feeling we will be worst off.
    So far we’ve lost our best player, in terms of goals & assists, as well as raw talent & pace.
    And we might be about to lose our captain, inspiration and midfield dynamo.
    So far Bakinson has been a positive, I think, although he struggled on Tuesday a little. The two centre backs will need time to bed in, so we don’t know if they’re the answer to our defensive frailty or not. Coventry is settling in quite well, but Fiorini is way off the pace. Ladapo, again, is off the pace at the moment, and needs to get fitter and sharper, and probably will. 
    So very hard to say if the window (so far) has improved us or not right now. Key area of weakness remain; goalkeeper and wingbacks. Creative midfielder as well. Possibly striker/target man too. 
    The jury is very much out, with the window just a few days away from slamming shut. 
    However, there’s at least a chance that performances will lift under Flemming and whoever follows him, at least temporarily. We have to hope so at least!  
  • Dazzler21 said:
    With all due respect, I think Rowett, and a lot of the other names mentioned on this thread, would rather wait for a bigger job to come along. And a better run club. 
    A blatant dig and it's rewarded with a load of likes, really? 
    Yeah sometimes he says okay stuff, other times he talks shit like this and gets away with it.
    I Suspect they hit the like button, not because they like the comment, but because they agree with it. There is no "agree" button.
    Agree, Disagree & Lol buttons are the way forward lads. 
  • edited January 26
    Yann897 said:
    With all due respect, I think Rowett, and a lot of the other names mentioned on this thread, would rather wait for a bigger job to come along. And a better run club. 
    Agreed, weird.
    Personally I think @MillwallFan has hit the nail on the head . 
    I think the point is that other posters have said exactly the same thing without getting anything like as many likes. It’s all a bit Stockholmy. 
  • Having listened to Fleming's press conference I'd be happy with him at the helm for the next few weeks whilst we speak to serious contenders. You never know, Fleming might just be the man. 
    Bless you Golfie. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Yeah sometimes he says okay stuff, other times he talks shit like this and gets away with it.
    So what part of my post was shit? This may be a hard pill to swallow but maybe the reason my post got likes was because it’s true, and the people who liked it are realists. 

I like a bit of banter as you’ll all know but you’ll also notice I’ve held back over the last few months (and even years). I’m not one to kick people when they’re down and you’ll see I have only really been posting on the Millwall threads or non football related ones. 

One dose of realism on this thread and you accuse me of talking shit! Bit harsh lol 😆
    Spot on mate. I wish we were in the championship instead of the shit we are in.
  • People talk about not being in a position to gamble on a first time manager but anyone “established”, like Pearson, Rowett, or Warnock who might actually be good enough to turn us around is unlikely to want to join us in our current state. It would take stupid money and the sales pitch if all time from Scott and Roswell.

The kind of established managers we can more realistically attract are the same uninspiring dross like Appleton and Garner. Not what we need at all. 

Even the likes of Jones and Ainsworth are unlikely to want it and either if those would come with a lot of risk anyway having both failed away from their first club and also coming across as a bit weird with some of the stuff they come out with. The kinds of characters that are great if everyone buys in but can quickly come unstuck and start to look stupid if things don’t go well. 

I think a lot of our fans overestimate what how much of a draw we are. We’re a middling size club and we’re mess right now. Even in the good old days we ended up with no marks like Dowie and Parkinson or a chancer like Pardew. 

Our best chance of finding a good manager, who would come here, and work in the management structure that has been put in place is to look at new managers or up and comers from League 2 and the National League.

Powell, Bowyer, even Curbs - they were all new managers we took a gamble on but they paid off big time.

I also like the idea of a link to the club. It shouldn’t matter but it does seem that having a connection here makes managerial success more likely.

Andy Woodman then? Coached here, local and has Bromley 2nd in the NL.
  • Mark Kinsella
  • JamesSeed said:
    Having listened to Fleming's press conference I'd be happy with him at the helm for the next few weeks whilst we speak to serious contenders. You never know, Fleming might just be the man. 
    Bless you Golfie. 
    Oddly enough, if you look back over our history some of our best managerial appointments were from within. Lennie Lawrence was a coach who was hardly known outside the club took over after the Ken Craggs debacle to become a club legend. Alan Curbishley with Steve Gritt, appointed after Lennie left for Middlesbrough, with Curbishley going on to become our greatest manager in the modern era. Lee Bowyer, a coach from within the club and the last one to achieve any sort of success thrust into the role of manager after a series of shocking managerial appointments. That only leaves Chris Powell as the last successful manager and to my memory he was outside the club at the time. 

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 26
    My Southampton supporting mate says Nathan Jones is a born again Christian and he talks about Christ the Lord in his post-match interviews. That would be different!
  • Morning odds…

- Nathan Jones 6/4
    - Nigel Pearson 3/1
    - Neil Warnock 4/1
    - Michael Duff 5/1
    - John Eustace 5/1
    - Mark Bonner 10/1
    - Gareth Ainsworth 14/1
    - 16/1 bar
  • Morning odds…

- Nathan Jones 6/4
    - Nigel Pearson 3/1
    - Neil Warnock 4/1
    - Michael Duff 5/1
    - John Eustace 5/1
    - Mark Bonner 10/1
    - Gareth Ainsworth 14/1
    - 16/1 bar

Curbs 16/1 ?

• Chunes said:
    My Southampton supporting mate says Nathan Jones is a born again Christian and he talks about Christ the Lord in his post-match interviews. That would be different!
    And if you think Appleton's tattoos were a bit much then Jones' are a' different kettle of fish. On his back he has Michelangelo's Creation of Man. 
  • Chunes said:
    And if you think Appleton's tattoos were a bit much then Jones' are a' different kettle of fish. On his back he has Michelangelo's Creation of Man. 
    https://x.com/eamov1/status/1086679508525162498?s=46&t=Atud1xTTw-k0f0GLTCKuPw
  • Chunes said:
    I live in Southampton and though he was a PR disaster, he wasnt given a proper chance. He effectively talked himself out a job in the end.

Like someone else mentioned, Saints were the worst team last year by a country mile.
  • edited January 26
    Chunes said:
    I live in Southampton and though he was a PR disaster, he wasnt given a proper chance. He effectively talked himself out a job in the end.

Like someone else mentioned, Saints were the worst team last year by a country mile.
    My mate said he's the worst Southampton manager he's ever seen and the weird interviews made it worse. (Although he did note he probably didn't have enough time to build his style). I think we've seen ourselves that when form is bad, a manager who's terrible in front of the press can indeed ramp up the pressure faster. 

Obviously got something about him with his track record prior to that, though.
  • Morning odds…

- Nathan Jones 6/4
    - Nigel Pearson 3/1
    - Neil Warnock 4/1
    - Michael Duff 5/1
    - John Eustace 5/1
    - Mark Bonner 10/1
    - Gareth Ainsworth 14/1
    - 16/1 bar
    This guy sounds like a bit of an unknown, any info on him 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

My mate said he's the worst Southampton manager he's ever seen and the weird interviews made it worse. (Although he did note he probably didn't have enough time to build his style). I think we've seen ourselves that when form is bad, a manager who's terrible in front of the press can indeed ramp up the pressure faster. 

Obviously got something about him with his track record prior to that, though.
    To be fair I would say Southampton are on a similar playing field to us in the fact that decades ago they were spoilt with some really decent managers! Much like us, since then, they have gone through the modern day mill of chop and change! For every Saints fan that thinks he is shit, every Luton fan will tell you he was brilliant! 

I honestly think he would be a good appointment! Far far better than any appointment we have made in the last 4/5 years!! 
  • edited January 26
    Having listened to Fleming's press conference I'd be happy with him at the helm for the next few weeks whilst we speak to serious contenders. You never know, Fleming might just be the man. 
    That is the sensible approach. Worried Scott won't share it. If Fleming and Pearce turn it around quickly it at least buys you time. If they don't work, well you can easily do something about it quickly. They may well work in the same way Jones may or may not work but there is a finality to it if Jones doesn't work. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Yann897 said:
    Agreed, weird.

That's nice and all but do we really need a Millwall fan coming to tell us what the vast majority know?
  • David Icke/Lyle Taylor combination, we could save the world at the same time
  • edited January 26
    But we don't need them to tell us something we already know. The issue is the pleasure they get from the fact. He wouldn't like it if we constantly called Millwall a shitty, scummy club but we would be right too.
  • Prepare to be shocked when the Board says “ Charlton Athletic are pleased to announce the appointment of Scott Parker as our new Head Coach on a nine and a half year contract “.
    Sorry, that is not funny.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Yann897 said:
    Agreed, weird.

That's nice and all but do we really need a Millwall fan coming to tell us what the vast majority know?
    Re-better run club.
    We can't change our history, being attractive ground for chancers and maybe crooks. Its the early stages of the current ownership and I admit things haven't gone as I would have chosen, eg 2 managers  etc but I think its too early to say that the current owners are running the club badly. For example the  current state of play in this  transfer window-looks to me as if money has been spent, and some quality players bought and loaned (also some that don't look up to it as well). It's not a good start but still early days/months.
    After all Millwall are sheltered from the turbulence of the property market/land values as their ground is owned by the council I believe? Hence not attractive proposition for those owners with "non football" aspirations.
    re bigger jobs- can't argue with that bit , we are L1, and mid table L1 would be a relief at the moment.
  • I’m hearing Walid Regragui. Excellent coach, and Moroccan to boot. 
  • BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:
    How about we get AI to design a manager for us?

Knowing our luck, it would end up like a Frankenstein!
    Here he is. Looks like the lovechild of Bowyer and Riga.

Looks like Mick McCarthy
    Mick-mccarthy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY