Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Think whoever guessed Alex Neal has cracked it. Fits all the clues.

Don't know how I'd feel about it.  Could do worse 
  • Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season. 

You heard it here first … We’ve tapped him up. KLOPP IS THE NEXT CHARLTON MANAGER !
  • edited January 26
    Think whoever guessed Alex Neal has cracked it. Fits all the clues.

I'm kind of in the same boat, he's got a great record of doing well at Sunderland and Norwich getting them promoted but also a record of taking teams close to relegation at Stoke and Preston. To be fair the same can be said of Nathan Jones and most managers to be honest. 
  • edited January 26
    Welcome to Charlton Athletic, Jürgen Klopp.

23 minutes too late MR Dick !

The only Problem is, Klopp can't Join until the end of the season 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • CAFCBill said:

I'm kind of in the same boat, he's got a great record of doing well at Sunderland and Norwich getting them promoted but also a record of taking teams close to relegation at Stoke and Preston. To be fair the same can be said of Nathan Jones and most managers to be honest. 
    He also took Preston to there highest championship finish as well.. To be honest, he did well to keep them in that league with the budget Preston have had. For me, only Stoke he failed.
  • So guessing the shortlist is
    Neal
    Jones
    Warnock 

1 other - duff maybe?
  • Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    That’s the one 
    I hope they're aware Neil had a lot of success with his trademark 4-2-3-1 at other clubs, but at Stoke he was forced to play with wingbacks because of the squad and we know how that turned out. 
    Fair points.. To be honest that formation you have mentioned, I believe will suit our midfield well.. I would say we are certainly looking to bring a winger or two in, to give us flexbility.
  • Oh well - if we aren't going the ex-player / Charlton connection route then the rest of the season holds limited interest / no opportunity to at least short term enthuse the fan base.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    swordfish said:
    As an alternative to win percentages, as Scott talked about stopping the losing mentality, here are some loss rates for comparison over managerial careers.

Jones (29.4%)
    Duff (30.8%)
    Eustace (32.4%)
    Warnock (32.7%)
    Pearson (34.1%)
    Adkins (35.0%)
    Appleton (35.5%)
    Powell (35.9%)
    Ainsworth (37.2%)
    Bowyer (38.3%)
    Bonner (40.3%)

Obviously of limited value, but it appears our current favourite has the best track record in avoiding defeat.
    Not on this list

Neil's losing percentage rate is 35.2%, placing him between Adkins and Appleton.
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    Won promotion from the championship and league one.. But that being said, his last job didn't go to well..
    aahh this is exciting and painful in equal measures!!
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Won promotion from the championship and league one.. But that being said, his last job didn't go to well..
    Alex Neil??

Won promotion with Norwich to the Prem and with S’Land from League One

Last job didn’t go well with Stoke
    This could be on the money, what a shout
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    CAFCBill said:

He also took Preston to there highest championship finish as well.. To be honest, he did well to keep them in that league with the budget Preston have had. For me, only Stoke he failed.
    Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that. I've also just looked at Stoke's wiki page and they've had 10 managers (including caretakers) in the last 5 years so working under bad ownership may have been a factor there as well (Remind you of any other clubs local to the Southeast London area? lol). Also of those 10 managers, Alex Neil lasted the second longest so they must have rated him a bit if they were willing to give him longer than most of the others. 
  • CAFCBill said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    CAFCBill said:

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that. I've also just looked at Stoke's wiki page and they've had 10 managers (including caretakers) in the last 5 years so working under bad ownership may have been a factor there as well (Remind you of any other clubs local to the Southeast London area? lol). Also of those 10 managers, Alex Neil lasted the second longest so they must have rated him a bit if they were willing to give him longer than most of the others. 
    Spoke to Stoke supporter.. He said Neil actually done okay and was unlucky.. But said Jones was the worse appointment they have had.. More I think about Jones, the less I want him
  • But there are 3 others being spoken to?
  • Neil is an interesting one , another one that's had success in multiple places but didn't work out for him at Stoke. At least he knows how to get a side out of League 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    My Southampton supporting mate says Nathan Jones is a born again Christian and he talks about Christ the Lord in his post-match interviews. That would be different!
    And if you think Appleton's tattoos were a bit much then Jones' are a' different kettle of fish. On his back he has Michelangelo's Creation of Man. 
    Now how would you know that you dirty boy  ;)
  • edited January 26
    DubaiCAFC said:
    CAFCBill said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    CAFCBill said:

Spoke to Stoke supporter.. He said Neil actually done okay and was unlucky.. But said Jones was the worse appointment they have had.. More I think about Jones, the less I want him
  • It’s Klopp
    His choppers certainly pass the height test. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Understand list is down to 4 now.. And one has really impressed.. And I haven't seen him mentioned.. win rate of 41% and promotions to his record..

Fairly certain this describes my boys U11 manager.  I will ask him on Sunday.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Understand list is down to 4 now.. And one has really impressed.. And I haven't seen him mentioned.. win rate of 41% and promotions to his record..
    Steve Cooper: 41.84% win rate. 
  • I think win/lose %s are pretty irrelevant unless they’re in the same division. Lennie wouldn’t score brilliantly in the old Division One, but he was a high-achieving manager in the circumstances. 

Then you have to factor in resources across the board. Easier to win games at Sunderland in L1 than at Accrington, you would think.
    Agreed. Neil's is skewed by the 54% win rate at Hamilton Academicals.
  • I would like to aspire to an 8% lose rate.
  • Would take Warnock (preference) or Neil.

For some reason I feel that Jones or Duff would end in tears (based upon nothing but gut feeling).