Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    That’s the one 
    I hope they're aware Neil had a lot of success with his trademark 4-2-3-1 at other clubs, but at Stoke he was forced to play with wingbacks because of the squad and we know how that turned out. 
    Fair points.. To be honest that formation you have mentioned, I believe will suit our midfield well.. I would say we are certainly looking to bring a winger or two in, to give us flexbility.
    I really dislike the idea that we might start playing a lone striker formation again when we've got Alfie May. Where is the joined up thinking from these guys. At least make it a switch between 352 and the diamond. Signing wingers doesn't make sense.
    I don't follow the logic here. You need flexibility in any squad, regardless of preferred formations.
    We still need wingers to at least give us different options from the bench.
    May would suit playing the 10 position, almost a free role, behind a target man like Ladapo.
    The double pivot would accommodate Dobson & Coventry to break up play and distribute while also covering the wing backs when we're ploughing forward.
  • edited January 26
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    That’s the one 
    I hope they're aware Neil had a lot of success with his trademark 4-2-3-1 at other clubs, but at Stoke he was forced to play with wingbacks because of the squad and we know how that turned out. 
    Fair points.. To be honest that formation you have mentioned, I believe will suit our midfield well.. I would say we are certainly looking to bring a winger or two in, to give us flexbility.
    I really dislike the idea that we might start playing a lone striker formation again when we've got Alfie May. Where is the joined up thinking from these guys. At least make it a switch between 352 and the diamond. Signing wingers doesn't make sense.
    I don't follow the logic here. You need flexibility in any squad, regardless of preferred formations.
    We still need wingers to at least give us different options from the bench.
    May would suit playing the 10 position, almost a free role, behind a target man like Ladapo.
    The double pivot would accommodate Dobson & Coventry to break up play and distribute while also covering the wing backs when we're ploughing forward.
    Well the logic is that May isn't a 10 and while he's played there (and right wing) we've won 5 in 27. Yeah the defence is probably the main cause but questions over the ability of the unit to defend when a striker is at the top of the midfield. Our options in that area are becoming packed and giving one of the slots to a striker seems less logical to me, especially as it gives up a level of control. We've also just sold arguably the best winger in the league and are only going to replace him with worse options. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Think Neil would be a great manager for a side at this level. He proved that recently with Sunderland. 

We can’t go back to a 4-2-3-1 formation though, we’ve got to commit to 2 strikers because our best player fits that system. The new manager needs to be 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 so if it’s Neil hopefully he’s willing to build around that 
    Alfie May is arguably better as a 10 than a 9.
  • Someone has put some money on Alex Neil then, he’s now favourite 😂
  • Scoham said:
    No chance of getting either but quite like the idea of Andrew Crofts (Brighton U21s) or Stephen Bradley (Shamrock, 4-League titles, gotten them into the Conference League Groups) from that list.
  • Is it just a coincidence that Mr Fleming was appointed just before Mr Appleton's demise? 
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    Think Neil would be a great manager for a side at this level. He proved that recently with Sunderland. 

We can’t go back to a 4-2-3-1 formation though, we’ve got to commit to 2 strikers because our best player fits that system. The new manager needs to be 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 so if it’s Neil hopefully he’s willing to build around that 
    Alfie May is arguably better as a 10 than a 9.
    Not sure I’d agree with that at all, he scored some goals for us against some poor teams. But he scored loads throughout his career up front playing with a partner. 

Even if he is better, it’s about what makes the team better and he lacks a lot of what you need from a 10. He may score just as many goals from there as he does up front but a 10 needs to offer more creativity and control in possession. May as a 10 means you have one less central midfield player, in the games against better sides like Lincoln and Pompey in that period we played May as a 10 it was exposed and that’s why Appleton kept then playing him on the wing after that. 

I think we are a lot nearer a promotion winning 3-5-2 line up than we are a 4-2-3-1 so it really makes sense to carry on the 3 at the back path we’ve switched too, rather than switch back again and find out that Gillesphey and REG aren’t as good in a back 4. We need to stop changing systems, pick one and stick with it 
  • I fancy Osian Roberts, the guy behind the welsh national team revival and has just become caretaker at Como, they are now on a winning run.  Someone will take him, lets hope its us 
  • Jurgen Klopp is leaving Liverpool at the end of the season.  He hasn't been linked to a move to the Valley, yet, but surely it is only a matter of time...
  • Someone has put some money on Alex Neil then, he’s now favourite 😂
    @DubaiCAFC...🤷‍♂️
  • barstool said:
    I fancy Osian Roberts, the guy behind the welsh national team revival and has just become caretaker at Como, they are now on a winning run.  Someone will take him, lets hope its us 

His assistant at Como wasn't half bad as a player , although I think he's just getting his Pro Licence - Cesc Fabregas. 
  • Still Duff for me, Jones would be ok, not keen on Neil for some reason.
    yeah, many people say that bro'..... :D
  • Scoham said:
    Not surprising if Methven's briefing in his favour from nowhere. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Jurgen Klopp is leaving Liverpool at the end of the season.  He hasn't been linked to a move to the Valley, yet, but surely it is only a matter of time...
    He'd surely be good for some comfortable 4 0 wins....
  • If people thought Appleton just stood on the side then wait till you see Neil. Stoke fans are loving their new manager as he’s showing more enthusiasm and more attacking football. 

Just Appleton part 2 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I think I'd take any of the top 5 options. 
    -

Agreed, it’s nice being linked with decent managers for a change.
    the first two in the betting have both failed at Stoke City, a bit of a manager's graveyard recently .. I've said before that i m o Jones is a NO NO NO, he talks a good fight but his only real 'success' was at Luton where Mick Harford was probably the real power behind Jones's 'success'

Neil had not occurred to me as a potential candidate. He is decent option with successes in gaining promotions. I suspect he drives his players hard and can be a bit of a hot head. IF IF he comes, let him have his way please Mr Board Members, to conclude, he'll do for me
  • Dazzler21 said:
    -

Agreed, it’s nice being linked with decent managers for a change.

Knowing our SMT, they are probably looking at the other end of the barrel...🤷‍♂️
  • Dazzler21 said:
    -

Swap Eustace for Warnock (even though he’s probably waiting for a better job) 

Don't see the point in Warnock unless one of those 4 that we want says they’ll only take it in the summer if we stay up. The others are all capable of keeping us up so I’d rather have them as they can then build with us for the next few years 
  • With all due respect, I think Rowett, and a lot of the other names mentioned on this thread, would rather wait for a bigger job to come along. And a better run club. 
    A blatant dig and it's rewarded with a load of likes, really? 
    It's not a 'blatant dig', it's an uncomfortable truth.
  • NabySarr said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    -

Swap Eustace for Warnock (even though he’s probably waiting for a better job) 

Don't see the point in Warnock unless one of those 4 that we want says they’ll only take it in the summer if we stay up. The others are all capable of keeping us up so I’d rather have them as they can then build with us for the next few years 

The more I watch with Eustace , about how he had to heavily use the academy at Birmingham (although that was mainly for financial reasons) the more I think he's a an excellent choice.

I do agree however that he's super unlikely to take the job and he'll wait for a championship opportunity to arise