Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• I say the next match is a 'must win', not quite win every match.
  • Warnock would be my choice.
  • edited January 26
    D'ya know what, the most upsetting and painful part of this whole thread is reading so much negativity and dismissiveness of our great club by it's own supporters, the term "basket case" is one, bad enough being given it from our close neighbours...now i'm not totally naive and sort of get some of it but don't make it any better...maybe just me, had enough and would always try and find something positive in the face of adversity...sure I am not alone there.
  • Scoham said:
    People talk about not being in a position to gamble on a first time manager but anyone “established”, like Pearson, Rowett, or Warnock who might actually be good enough to turn us around is unlikely to want to join us in our current state. It would take stupid money and the sales pitch if all time from Scott and Roswell.

The kind of established managers we can more realistically attract are the same uninspiring dross like Appleton and Garner. Not what we need at all. 

Even the likes of Jones and Ainsworth are unlikely to want it and either if those would come with a lot of risk anyway having both failed away from their first club and also coming across as a bit weird with some of the stuff they come out with. The kinds of characters that are great if everyone buys in but can quickly come unstuck and start to look stupid if things don’t go well. 

I think a lot of our fans overestimate what how much of a draw we are. We’re a middling size club and we’re mess right now. Even in the good old days we ended up with no marks like Dowie and Parkinson or a chancer like Pardew. 

Our best chance of finding a good manager, who would come here, and work in the management structure that has been put in place is to look at new managers or up and comers from League 2 and the National League.

Powell, Bowyer, even Curbs - they were all new managers we took a gamble on but they paid off big time.

I also like the idea of a link to the club. It shouldn’t matter but it does seem that having a connection here makes managerial success more likely.

Andy Woodman then? Coached here, local and has Bromley 2nd in the NL.
    Maybe, he checks the boxes.

Jason Euell is the other one that springs to mind. If he wants to be a manager it feels like now would be the right time - he's done his apprenticeship as a coach working at youth and senior levels, been an assistant, been involved with the international setup. He hasn't been No. 1 but he's got a good amount of experience under his belt now, 46 is a good age, local, knows the club really well. Seemingly a good egg. He checks a lot of boxes.

Really, it's hard for any of us to say categorically who should get the job. Especially any less well-known managers. We can't really speak for what they are like personality wise, how they interact and manage the players on a personal level. Thats why I prefer to talk about generally characteristics of what could make a hood a good appointment. We have to then hope that Scott and co. make a good judgement on how the new man fits personality wise.
  • boggzy said:
    PWADDICK said:
    boggzy said:
    Can't believe people are seriously talking about Warnock! (Of course he'd be great, but he wouldn't touch us with a bargepole)
    Cawley literally said he’d be interested 
    I'd personally take that with a huge pinch of salt.

He’s in his mid 70s and is caring less and less about extending his career beyond the next few years. It sounds like he’s more interested in “having fun” and being picky about finding the right challenge regardless of league.
    That’s us out of the equation then. 
  • Cawley said on the SLP podcast that Eustace wouldn’t even talk to Millwall as he doesn’t want to leave the Midlands. So forget that one. 
  • Cawley said on the SLP podcast that Eustace wouldn’t even talk to Millwall as he doesn’t want to leave the Midlands. So forget that one. 
    Curbs syndrome - he could end up waiting so long that he gets forgotten about. Get Al to give him a call if he's a top target...
  • I’m guessing the list goes 
    1:Jones
    2:Neil 
    3:Duff
    4Eustece

I suppose it depends what each brings to the table and how the interview just like any job. 
    Do their footballing philosophies align with the boards? 
    And ultimately how much are they going to cost? 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    I know the reality is that we’re not that attractive a proposition currently but for me all the names being mentioned are still basically punts. All recently in employment in 2023 yet all currently out of work. The exception for me is Warnock who right up front isn’t a long term option but would fit our circumstances perfectly. Impact manager to get us out of relegation trouble and has eight (?) promotions so could set us up for next season and give the club the opportunity to do a proper recruitment instead of choosing from what is a small and not that inspiring pool of unemployed managers. I’m not enthusiastic about any of the names likely to get the gig.

The sad reality is we are not an inspiring club to come to.
    I won't blame the damaged fans as most are having therapy or are on the waiting list.

I had Cognitive behaviour Therapy* a decade ago after the spinning plates came crashing down together but unfortunately when I needed to do some revision last week as under pressure a tad(aren't we all) seeing CBT on the folder made me shed a tear !

Laughter is a good therapy but when depression strikes it's the 1st thing that goes missing. Pleased that so many on here still have a wonderful gallows sense of humour as without it life is just too heavy.

* Not for everyone but worked for me.
    Is it where the ‘win every match’ thing came from? 😉

James !
    Do me a favour, 'Win every match' is the mantra from the one and only Seth Plum. I say one but that doesn't include the original.

Interesting facts about Seth Plum who came from north of the Thames. 
    Played one international for England but unfortunately left Charlton and joined Chelsea and later at Southend United.

Seth relocated back to Tottenham, and worked as a petrol pump attendant in the 60's until he ran out of gas and sadly passed away in 1969 at 70 years old. 
    I think you’re getting confused.  The @seth plum on here is a Charlton supporter called Seth who lives in Plumstead.   Or maybe Plum Lane.  
    4Eustece

I suppose it depends what each brings to the table and how the interview just like any job. 
    I’m guessing Warnock is on that list too. 
  • D'ya know what, the most upsetting and painful part of this whole thread is reading so much negativity and dismissiveness of our great club by it's own supporters, the term "basket case" is one, bad enough being given it from our close neighbours...now i'm not totally naive and sort of get some of it but don't make it any better...maybe just me, had enough and would always try and find something positive in the face of adversity...sure I am not alone there.
    Have a lie down OR  a wank  OR both!
  • I do think if we want Eull at some point this is the chance. If he takes another job and does well he'll probably bypass us
    He's going to seriously restrict himself in finding a job if he sticks by that. I personally think he just wasn't interested so fobbed them off with the 'don't wish to relocate' excuse. I bet he'd move if someone like Sunderland or Southampton came in for him.

Also never for a second thought he'd ever be interested in coming to us.
  • Sponsored links:

4Eustece

Swap Eustace for Duff and i think that's more likely to be the list.
  • Id take Eustace anyday, just think his stock is probably a lot higher than we command given Birmingham's capitulation after he left
  • I wouldn’t be opposed to Alex Neil but I do worry the fans wouldn’t warm to him.

If he wins games that won’t matter but a bad run of form with him and it could go south very quickly again.
  • Macronate said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think I'd take any of the top 5 options. 
    -

Bit radical but why not have all five.
    We probably will have by Christmas.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Warnock please - virtually guaranteed success - the man knows what he’s doing 
    Not for me. We’d only buck the trend and leave him with a stain on his career successes ☹️
  • We really do mean it now. Rodwell did well to persuade Klopp to leave Liverpool to join us.