Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• We really do mean it now. Rodwell did well to persuade Klopp to leave Liverpool to join us.
    Yep he said he didn't want to manage another club in England, so he's off to join a circus.
  • I’d prefer Alex Neil to Nathan Jones in the same way that I’d prefer a kick in the nuts to having my eyes gouged out with a spoon.

A kick in the nuts is surely a hundred times more preferable? One rather painful experience that probably at worst heals up after a few days against a lifetime of having no eyes.
    On the plus side you wouldn’t have to watch Charlton. 
  • Found this thread interesting from their website:
    https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/our-next-manager-who-do-you-want.1625994/

The fans really have not taken to Beale and lots of their issues sound very similar to ours - blaming the fans, tight owner, meddling DoF etc..

I did enjoy the comment ‘it’s like looking on tinder whilst your wife is on life support’
  • Interesting to see Sunderland fans on that thread Callum posted mentioning Huddersfield as a more likely Neil destination, I know Darren Moore has been under pressure and their American owner has been quite vocal on Twitter - could see Neil there being a good fit. 
  • edited January 26
    Based on that forum, Sunderland fans seem to rate Neil as a manager but not as a person. What are the snake comments all about? What did he do?
  • Based on that forum, Sunderland fans seem to rate Neil as a manager but not as a person. What are the snake comments all about? What did he do?
    Left very suddenly for Stoke. 
  • Someone has put some money on Alex Neil then, he’s now favourite 😂
    @DubaiCAFC...🤷‍♂️
    Can’t bet in Dubai….
  • Based on that forum, Sunderland fans seem to rate Neil as a manager but not as a person. What are the snake comments all about? What did he do?
    No Mr nice guy attitude.. but it only works if fans get behind that! 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Based on that forum, Sunderland fans seem to rate Neil as a manager but not as a person. What are the snake comments all about? What did he do?
    As Appleton found out.
  • Warnock as euell as a no 2, hand over to euell in the summer with warnock kept as an advisor/mentor
    This is not the jokes thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Q the abuse.. 

Yes, we are underachieving by a country mile.. 
    Yes when we are poor we are terrible poor. 

I don’t want to go on about our support, as I am gutted as much as anyway one.
  • NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I think Neil is a good manager but the owners need to understand that for this to work we need more than just a good manager. Hopefully they’ve learnt that from the Appleton mess, this club needs a good manager and a personality that will unite the fanbase and get them behind the team to stick with them through the bad patches. 

Think of the momentum we had under bowyer between 2018-2020. I’m not saying it has to be him (I’d take him but would probably prefer a few of the other names) but it’s got to be someone who is able to create something similar. I’m guessing Jones did at Luton, Duff at Cheltenham. People will say it doesn’t matter, but I think it does with how disillusioned the fanbase is right now. For this club to be successful I think we need that connection between the fans and manager and players. I’m not sure Neil has done that or has the personality to do so. That’s my only doubt about him and after seeing how things went with Appleton it’s a pretty big doubt 

I think it's a huge part of getting this appointment right. This club needs to heal and it needs a big personality to be a figure head for that. That is one thing Holden git and was trying to do, but we also need to someone who is tactically and technically competent in a way that Holden wasn't.
  • I’d prefer Alex Neil to Nathan Jones in the same way that I’d prefer a kick in the nuts to having my eyes gouged out with a spoon.

A kick in the nuts is surely a hundred times more preferable? One rather painful experience that probably at worst heals up after a few days against a lifetime of having no eyes.
    That was indeed kinda my thinking. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I think Neil is a good manager but the owners need to understand that for this to work we need more than just a good manager. Hopefully they’ve learnt that from the Appleton mess, this club needs a good manager and a personality that will unite the fanbase and get them behind the team to stick with them through the bad patches. 

Think of the momentum we had under bowyer between 2018-2020. I’m not saying it has to be him (I’d take him but would probably prefer a few of the other names) but it’s got to be someone who is able to create something similar. I’m guessing Jones did at Luton, Duff at Cheltenham. People will say it doesn’t matter, but I think it does with how disillusioned the fanbase is right now. For this club to be successful I think we need that connection between the fans and manager and players. I’m not sure Neil has done that or has the personality to do so. That’s my only doubt about him and after seeing how things went with Appleton it’s a pretty big doubt 

This is a massive part of it , it needs to be someone that's willing to understand the club if they are an outsider and get the fans on board. I think that's where they went badly badly wrong with Appleton and something that I see as vital in the new manager, I never got the impression Appleton ever brought into what makes the club special and ultimately that was a major part of his downfall. 
    Precisely.
  • NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    Just like when we sacked Holden and seemed to be approaching and interviewing so many different managers with different styles, it just looks like we don’t have a plan

Scott should know exactly what type of manager he wants, what style of football/set up he wants us to play and then just simply pick the best long term option that fits it. Surely that’s the sensible thing to do 
    You just know that long term option would also have been available before we appointed Michael Appleton, you just know it.
  • NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

I think it's a huge part of getting this appointment right. This club needs to heal and it needs a big personality to be a figure head for that. That is one thing Holden git and was trying to do, but we also need to someone who is tactically and technically competent in a way that Holden wasn't.
    MarcusH26 said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

This is a massive part of it , it needs to be someone that's willing to understand the club if they are an outsider and get the fans on board. I think that's where they went badly badly wrong with Appleton and something that I see as vital in the new manager, I never got the impression Appleton ever brought into what makes the club special and ultimately that was a major part of his downfall. 
    Just got to hope the club have learned from their Appleton mistake. 

I don’t know enough about Neil so I might be wrong, he’s definitely a good manager for this level but I just hope the board are considering the other side rather than ignoring it like they appeared to with the Appleton appointment 

• Sponsored links:

• The delay is because they can’t yet find a way to draft the announcement to account for their choice that doesn’t obviously conflict with the PR nonsense when we got MA. 

It’s going to take a lot of redrafts to get there and ultimately justify Curtis being the man for now. 😉
  • I would go for Rowett, but only to wind up Millwall fan!
    We thought we would up the Palace scum by getting Dowie - which was the start of our decline.

Rowett is a good option though!!
  • MarcusH26 said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Precisely.
    That’s why Jones is the pick of the runners and riders 
  • I certainly think the whole club needs healing. A kind of Chris Powell figure that gets the club, the fans and the players but back in the real world we’re not going to get that figure. The immediate problem is the possibility of us being flushed into the fourth division. I’ll take whoever as long as they clear us of that possibility and have the ability to get us promoted next season. As far as I’m concerned he can be Victor Meldrew and Droopy all rolled into one. At present we’re up shit creek we need someone with football management ability with Mr nice guy as a optional extra.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Agreed. Put Maddison and Vince in charge as joint managers. With Headphones Norm as their assistant to tell them all the latest scores of our rivals. 
    All 3 are mates of mine 

But to put them altogether would be fucking hilarious. 
    Vince is in Blackpool ad we speak 
  • I feel like replacing a bald misery who isn't that bothered about connecting with the fanbase with another one would be a particularly bold choice. Neil does not spark joy for me
    A bald choice you say?