Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    Scoham said:
    mart77 said:
    @supaclive lives near Derby so you’d guess he’s talking about Rowett.
    Or Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink who last managed Burton 👀 
    Did he ever START business with Charlton, let alone have any to finish?!
    Scored twice in the league for us, a better record than a lot of strikers we’ve had since then!
    Also wasn’t our record when he was in the team really good? The issue was his fitness. 
  • TeeC said:
    supaclive said:
    Ok, so I've heard something.
    You know where I live.
    We are talking ££
    A good manager is listening as he feels he has unfinished business at Charlton and enjoyed his time there as a player.

OMG
    I might literally end up as a proper "in the know"

I'd be cursed!
    Parker
    Would be the easiest way to gauge how little the board know the fanbase 
  • mart77 said:
    Scoham said:
    mart77 said:
    Or Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink who last managed Burton 👀 
    Wouldn’t match the previously higher paid job though I thought. 
    Would much more prefer Rowett tbh
    Definitely, even with the Millwall connection. JFH wasn’t a serious suggestion.
  • supaclive said:
    I find it funny that Millwall Fan is laughing at anybody suggesting Rowett..... 
    I just can’t see him dropping down to L1, unless it was to a genuinely big club like Sheffield Wednesday (next season) or Derby. 

Why would he? He is one of very few managers who left his previous job without being sacked. He left with his reputation still intact. From the outside looking in he did a fantastic job at ours. The next time a decent job in the championship comes up he will be in the running, without doubt. 

I just think the Charlton job would be seen as too much agg and insecurity for a manager of his standing. Same with Warnock. You need someone who is a bit desperate to start out in it or get back in to. Neither Warnock or Rowett come under that category. They know a decent job will come along sooner or later. Why risk their reputation by going to Charlton where it will more than likely go belly up for them. 

Sorry, I just say it as I see it. 

See I think it would be win/win for either Rowett or Warnock though. If they do well they’ll be viewed positively or potentially even heroes and if they flop like others they can throw blame at our erratic ownership, blame interfering from AS, having a squad that’s not there’s or simply highlight that they’re the latest manager to flop in a long line of flops
  • Sponsored links:

• Jorge Costa.

Paulo Di Canio
  • Morning odds…

- Nathan Jones 6/4
    - Nigel Pearson 3/1
    - Neil Warnock 4/1
    - Michael Duff 5/1
    - John Eustace 5/1
    - Mark Bonner 10/1
    - Gareth Ainsworth 14/1
    - 16/1 bar
    Are those loss to win ratios . If so Ainsworth looks like a good fit.
  • I’m not keen on Rowett , think he shot his beans with the scum and is a busted flush .
    Only person I’d want is SCP  it that’s because I love him and doesn’t meean he’d work either and the place is such a shithouse I think he’d struggle .
    Neil Warnock short term blast and then pick someone I don’t know of, which is quite a few because most of the ones I’ve heard of being mentioned I don’t believe will be good for us 
  • Warnock in a recent interview said he likes to start work around February and he said to his Mrs, Im going to be away for 3-4 Month's ok? He said he'd like a crack and getting someone into the play offs or promoted but hes open to the usual rescue job.

Id have Warnock over Jones. Frankly, I think he's another accident waiting to happen. Dont know enough about Duff...dont think Neil is a good fit from a fans perspective either.

Id rather we were poaching a good successful currently employed manager, than someone who's on the Manager getting the sack merry go round circuit.
  • Morning odds…

- Nathan Jones 6/4
    - Nigel Pearson 3/1
    - Neil Warnock 4/1
    - Michael Duff 5/1
    - John Eustace 5/1
    - Mark Bonner 10/1
    - Gareth Ainsworth 14/1
    - 16/1 bar
    27th January morning update…

- Nathan Jones 1/2
    - Alex Neil 7/2
    - Neil Warnock 6/1
    - Michael Duff 6/1
    - Nigel Pearson 8/1
    - John Eustace 10/1
    - 20/1 bar
  • So only wants 2-3 months and not a relegation battle. Rules us out. 

We need to plan long-term, not go through this entire process again in May. 
  • edited January 27
    mart77 said:
    I know CBT was good but not sure Id move home for him…😆
  • supaclive said:
    I find it funny that Millwall Fan is laughing at anybody suggesting Rowett..... 
    I just can’t see him dropping down to L1, unless it was to a genuinely big club like Sheffield Wednesday (next season) or Derby. 

Why would he? He is one of very few managers who left his previous job without being sacked. He left with his reputation still intact. From the outside looking in he did a fantastic job at ours. The next time a decent job in the championship comes up he will be in the running, without doubt. 

I just think the Charlton job would be seen as too much agg and insecurity for a manager of his standing. Same with Warnock. You need someone who is a bit desperate to start out in it or get back in to. Neither Warnock or Rowett come under that category. They know a decent job will come along sooner or later. Why risk their reputation by going to Charlton where it will more than likely go belly up for them. 

Sorry, I just say it as I see it. 

Fair point to be honest. I think Rowett enjoyed his time here in the premier league days, unlucky to have to retire as we spent about £3m on him so he was a good player! Those were the days! 

Do I think he will come to us now, with everything going on and our position in the league, who knows! Depends how it’s sold to him and what is promised. What I will say though is it can’t get any worse, and the pressure on a new manager won’t be too high, win a few games, steer clear of relegation and build up some momentum to go for it next season, will likely be the objective now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Read that Jason Euell wants the job

• Two complications with this appointment:

1. Our current trajectory as a football club which might be described as the nosedive into oblivion.
    2. The lack of credibility of the board/SMT/owners, or however we wish to refer to the Red Trouser Consortium.

This means any high quality candidate would be taking an enormous risk with their career. It also means that any high potential/unproven option (Euell etc) is a non starter.

My guess is that there will be no announcement until Fleming has had 2-3 games. He is the cheapest option (already on the payroll, as was Jackson was under Sandgaard).  If it all goes pear shaped,  it does not reflect badly on Scott and the 8+8  highly paid directors because Fleming was only "interim".

If it all goes well they keep him in place, they look like geniuses for appointing him and save money too for their fantasy budget. 

Cowardly and not in the  best interests of CAFC of course but sadly, that's where we are. 
    Not sure they’ll give Fleming that long. 
    Didn’t they say they wanted someone by the end of the window?
    if Fleming gets 2-3 games and a good response from the players, then I’m all up for Scott and co looking like genius’s.
    We need results not a club v fans battle.
  • Be happy with Flemming until end of season, while they search for a long therm solution. 

Personally can't see the difference in having the likes of Euell, Bow, CP or, Jackson, and having any other unproven or meh "journeyman" manager. The theory that the only success we've had in recent history has come from former Charlton players, may only be true because of the amount of former players we've employed as managers in recent history.

A nice clean sheet with a manager that comes with some sort of pedigree and proven record.

• Gribbo said:
    Be happy with Flemming until end of season, while they search for a long therm solution. 

Personally can't see the difference in having the likes of Euell, Bow, CP or, Jackson, and having any other unproven or meh "journeyman" manager. The theory that the only success we've had in recent history has come from former Charlton players, may only be true because of the amount of former players we've employed as managers in recent history.

A nice clean sheet with a manager that comes with some sort of pedigree and proven record.

There’s also another way to look at the Charlton connection thing which is that they were all unproven managers in their first job so had hunger and desire to carve out a career. The connection obviously helped getting the fans onside but they were all inexperienced 
  • fenaddick said:
    Gribbo said:
    Be happy with Flemming until end of season, while they search for a long therm solution. 

There’s also another way to look at the Charlton connection thing which is that they were all unproven managers in their first job so had hunger and desire to carve out a career. The connection obviously helped getting the fans onside but they were all inexperienced 

Not saying any of them would do a bad job if they were brought in, just that I'd personally like to see that the new manager has been thought about, and not appointed because they know the bloke is a fans favourite (remember JJ? I still think fan pressure made TS's decision far too easy with that appointment, not to mention it being too soon for JJ himself). At other clubs, where it may be a bit more unusual to appoint an ex player, fans tend to give the new manager the benefit of doubt for the first couple of months, regardless of where they came from (within reason).
  • Morning odds…

- Nathan Jones 6/4
    - Nigel Pearson 3/1
    - Neil Warnock 4/1
    - Michael Duff 5/1
    - John Eustace 5/1
    - Mark Bonner 10/1
    - Gareth Ainsworth 14/1
    - 16/1 bar
    27th January morning update…

- Nathan Jones 1/2
    - Alex Neil 7/2
    - Neil Warnock 6/1
    - Michael Duff 6/1
    - Nigel Pearson 8/1
    - John Eustace 10/1
    - 20/1 bar
    Do you (or anyone) remember if Holden & Appleton were the bookies favourite before they got the job? Trying to gauge how much stock to put in the odds. 
  • supaclive said:
    Ok, so I've heard something.
    You know where I live.
    We are talking ££
    A good manager is listening as he feels he has unfinished business at Charlton and enjoyed his time there as a player.

OMG
    I might literally end up as a proper "in the know"

I'd be cursed!
    Robbie Mustoe head coach with Jesper Blomqvist as assistant?
  • Good to see that Lee Carsley has turned down the Ireland job - Think he'd be a very good candidate for as England Manager when Southgate steps aside, especially if its after the Euros as suspected.