Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Warnock’s last job in football will be to take a team flirting with relegation from League 1 all the way back to the Premier League. And I’m not talking about Reading…
    Thats quite a prediction.
  • Well the useless twits are the ones that hire and fire them. 
  • I'd be delighted if it were to be Jones but I'm just concerned about how our fanbase would be with him.

He's going to say some weird stuff in press conferences/post match interviews. Now I don't mind that sort of crap but some will not get him and unless we get off to a good start this could turn sour quickly.
  • sam3110 said:
    I'd take Rowett over anyone else right now tbh
    He left Millwall because he wanted to move back north and spend more time with family. Zero chance we are going to persuade him to move back down south less than a year later and at the bottom of the league below.
  • Regarding Jones, I think he falls into a similar category that a lot of ex-Stoke managers -  none of them in recent years could get it working there!

Bit of a downward spiral they have been on for some years now considering where they were for so long.
  • It’s much easier to contextualise why a football player is league one quality compared to premiership quality.

But what is it that makes a manager better than another manager. I doubt it anything to do with work ethic, or IQ level though obviously they would help. 
  • Take the relegation comment out of it and that press conference from Fleming really highlights how Appleton didn’t get his communication right. That isn’t me saying get Fleming in obviously but just that it’s such an important thing
  • Well we’ve had cheap disasters so we might as well try an expensive one. 
    "Money doesn't buy you happiness but it does buy you a better quality of misery"
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s much easier to contextualise why a football player is league one quality compared to premiership quality.

But what is it that makes a manager better than another manager. I doubt it anything to do with work ethic, or IQ level though obviously they would help. 
    Its impossible, too many variables involved to really quantify a managers impact.
  • TeeC said:
    Regarding Jones, I think he falls into a similar category that a lot of ex-Stoke managers -  none of them in recent years could get it working there!

Bit of a downward spiral they have been on for some years now considering where they were for so long.
    Sounds… familiar 
    Doesn't it just! 🤦‍♂️
  • #cafc caretaker boss Curtis Fleming: "I had Bryan Robson as a manager for seven years. I'm not name-dropping him as a bit of a legend...he wasn't a brilliant coach but what a man, what a man - you'd go to war for him.

"That's half the battle. When you play it's so important to…

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) January 25, 2024
  • sam3110 said:
    He left Millwall because he wanted to move back north and spend more time with family. Zero chance we are going to persuade him to move back down south less than a year later and at the bottom of the league below.
    Spot on. 
  • edited January 25
    Just googled Nathan Jones to jog my memory on him. Not sure I like the look of him lads. Can’t put my finger on it but there’s something about him that doesn’t sit right with me. Think he reminds me of someone
  • Sponsored links:

• Just googled Nathan Jones to jog my memory on him. Not sure I like the look of him lads. Can’t put my finger on it but there’s something about him that doesn’t sit right with me. Think he reminds me of someone
    He's not that tough. Brad Pitt took him out in about 5 seconds. (In the film Troy, for those that don't get that reference)
  • sam3110 said:
    What people say are their reasons and what are the actual reasons are quite often very different. Not saying it’s not 100% accurate but just saying. 
  • Comment by a renowned poster on another forum suggesting that contact has been made with Jones. Was rather hoping that off the back of @jbaker post we might be a little further ahead than that but it is I suppose still early in the process.
  • With all due respect, I think Rowett, a lot of the other names mentioned on this thread, would rather wait for a bigger job to come along. And a better run club. 
    That's why we're going to end up with someone like Simon Grayson.
  • sam3110 said:
    Whether we are appealing enough is one thing, but I never bought the ‘want to be closer to home’ angle given when he left Millwall. I think it had run its course and he was getting out at exactly the right time. 
  • edited January 25
    BigDiddy said:
    How about we get AI to design a manager for us?

Knowing our luck, it would end up like a Frankenstein!
    Here he is. Looks like the lovechild of Bowyer and Riga.

He’s already lost the players. They’ve all turned their back on him.