Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• If it’s true that Rowett wants time out with family and Powell is a non starter after being disrespected with the caretaker role, then Jones is the prime target.
    Yes he’s slightly damaged goods - but a damn sight less than us and perhaps the only reason we’re in with a shout.
    He’s confident and abrasive and has links to us.
    I think most would get behind him in a way hardly any of us did for Appleton. 
  • edited January 25
    If it is Jones and he switches to a 442 diamond it makes signing a number 10 even more critical.

AMB
    Watson Jones REG/Gillesphey Edun
           Dobson
       Coventry Bakinson
           *NEW*
        May    Ladapo
    We have three centre backs that have historically played better in a three than a four. I think we’d be setting up REG, Jones and Gillesphey for underperformance with that approach.

Maybe we could get away with it if we played REG as an inverted full back like a third tier Kyle Walker / Zinchenko.

My team going forward would be something along the lines of:

- Isted or a new goalie
    - Three of REG, Gillesphey, Jones and Hector
    - Watson and Edun or new wing backs
    - Three of Coventry, Bakinson, Camara, Dobson, Taylor, McGrandles, Fiorini or new creative attacking mid
    - Two of May, Ladapo, Leaburn and Aneke

Or if we were desperate to play the diamond with the players we have available now:

- Isted in goal
    - REG, Jones/Hector, Gillesphey and Edun
    - Coventry or Dobbo holding
    - Bakinson and Camara or Taylor being the box-to-box men
    - Fiorini or Camara at attacking mid
    - May and Ladapo up front

• Addick_8 said:
    I don’t think Jones will be as long term as people think. If he does ok with us, he will be off within the first sniff off a better offer elsewhere, like he did twice at Luton.

Only flip side is that I think we have more potential than Luton if things go well, but I don’t think he has shown to be loyal before. 

However, we have just had 3 managers in a row who was utter crap, so feel like I should be happy we managed to get Jones.
    Maybe not but we can deal with that if it happens. He won’t get better offers if he comes in and we continue to struggle, so if it gets to that point that’s a big positive for us.
  • He is also a devout Christian . He could call on a helping hand. A bit of divine intervention would not go amiss.
  • i see we are back to team formations...
  • Addick_8 said:
    I don’t think Jones will be as long term as people think. If he does ok with us, he will be off within the first sniff off a better offer elsewhere, like he did twice at Luton.

Only flip side is that I think we have more potential than Luton if things go well, but I don’t think he has shown to be loyal before. 

However, we have just had 3 managers in a row who was utter crap, so feel like I should be happy we managed to get Jones.
    Upside is that if he gets poached by a team in a higher league it will mean he’s done a good job with us. I’d take that.
  • edited January 25
    I think it is unlikely we will rush into getting a new head coach. Scott can't afford to get this one wrong and if Fleming and Pearce do ok, it will buy him time.
  • Not convinced by Jones, did well at Luton but he's been awful everywhere else. The managers at Luton in between and after him have also done just as well, if not better (Graeme Jones excluded). Which makes me wonder how much is actually down to him, or the structure and support around the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think it is unlikely we will rush into getting a new head coach. Scott can't afford to get this one wrong and if Fleming and Pearce do ok, it will buy him time.
    And if they are in charge for two games and fuck up? No, need someone in quick. I’d have hoped that if the SMT had been doing their jobs properly (don’t laugh) they would have already had a shortlist of say three candidates and after last Saturday had started sounding them out. At any point in time the SMT should have an ever evolving shortlist of candidates so if a change is needed they can act swiftly.
  • edited January 25
    Addick_8 said:

Upside is that if he gets poached by a team in a higher league it will mean he’s done a good job with us. I’d take that.
    That is my logic, if he leaves it means we are doing well and hopefully we can do what the likes of Luton and Plymouth done and easily replace him if the time comes hypothetically.

It will be a lot easier for us to find a new manager when we are flying than right now, I'd be more than happy if he settles us for the future.

Either way I think he will have learned his lessons and look to build his career again, this is THE perfect opportunity for him imo. 

- we're seen as a basket case, so he will receive plaudits for turning it around 

- Big club in league 1 and a promotion will look good his CV where he's only had one, and it was in league 2

- Has the foundations of a decent squad in this league, and what seems to be owners who will spend cash on players 

- There won't be as much pressure as there was at Southampton and Stoke, we will be more patient with him imo. 

I think we are a great match for each other and I'd be really chuffed if it happens. 

Hopefully the poster who said it is being honest 
    /been told the truth 
  • I think it is unlikely we will rush into getting a new head coach. Scott can't afford to get this one wrong and if Fleming and Pearce do ok, it will buy him time.
    And if they are in charge for two games and fuck up? No, need someone in quick. I’d have hoped that if the SMT had been doing their jobs properly (don’t laugh) they would have already had a shortlist of say three candidates and after last Saturday had started sounding them out. At any point in time the SMT should have an ever evolving shortlist of candidates so if a change is needed they can act swiftly.
    And what if we get Jones say and we lose his next two games?
  • Bailey said:
    NabySarr said:
    Warnock is a manager to keep us up this season.  

We should be looking for a manager to do that and then get us promoted next season and take us on into the championship. Warnock is not that man 

I don’t think anyone thinks Warnock is a long term solution but I’d take him until the end of the season  while we undertake a proper recruitment. Of those currently available and with the ability we need, some will not entertain us. That leaves a very small pool to choose from. I just don’t think we should rush appointing if it’s possible to get in someone like Warnock to get us out of a hole while we find the right man. If he could be persuaded to take next season also I’d take that as well. Getting us promoted is the most important thing and I think he’s as qualified to do that as any of the names being mentioned. Sadly I think the chances are next to zero.
    If you want someone short term then I would suggest looking closer to home and put Curbs in charge and let him oversee the eventual head coach appointment. 
    Not been in management for what is it 15 years now. Has super legendary status and frankly I wouldn’t want that tarnished by having him not salvaging this season. Big no for me.
  • Pearce / Fleming should stop the rot of losing with a team built to not let in goals such as

Isted

Jones REG Thomas Guilespy

Watson L Coventry Dobson Bakinson

May Ladapo

Enough 'creativity' to guarantee one goal - with that defence one is enough....?
  • Jones seems the only viable option. 1) Very successful at Charlton as reserve team coach. 2)Left and became a successful manager. 3) had a few failures as ALL managers do 4) he is still hungry to build a team from scratch (last Sky interview). 4) does not need time to get to know the Charlton ethic.
    Only down side is , would he be prepared to take the roll on…..
    My prime test of a good manager will be their ability and willingness to stand up to Scott and Rodwell - the last two have been yes men.
  • If it is Jones and he switches to a 442 diamond it makes signing a number 10 even more critical.

AMB
    Watson Jones REG/Gillesphey Edun
           Dobson
       Coventry Bakinson
           *NEW*
        May    Ladapo
    We have three centre backs that have historically played better in a three than a four. I think we’d be setting up REG, Jones and Gillesphey for underperformance with that approach.

Maybe we could get away with it if we played REG as an inverted full back like a third tier Kyle Walker / Zinchenko.

My team going forward would be something along the lines of:

- Isted or a new goalie
    - Three of REG, Gillesphey, Jones and Hector
    - Watson and Edun or new wing backs
    - Three of Coventry, Bakinson, Camara, Dobson, Taylor, McGrandles, Fiorini or new creative attacking mid
    - Two of May, Ladapo, Leaburn and Aneke

Or if we were desperate to play the diamond with the players we have available now:

- Isted in goal
    - REG, Jones/Hector, Gillesphey and Edun
    - Coventry or Dobbo holding
    - Bakinson and Camara or Taylor being the box-to-box men
    - Fiorini or Camara at attacking mid
    - May and Ladapo up front

I agree with that, 3 at the back definitely makes the most sense at the moment. I would include Thomas and L.Watson though as on form they should probably be 2 of the first names on the team sheet at the moment. 

Our midfield needs better balance, should only have 2 of Dobson, Bakinson, Coventry, Camara, Taylor and McGrandles. Then it needs one of Watson or Fiorini to start (so Watson as he’s actually fit) 

Hoping for this kind of set up, could move REG to wing back and add Jones into the back 3 

Isted 
              REG Thomas Gillesphey
    Watson   Coventry Dobson   Edun 
                          L.Watson 
                      May    Ladapo 

• Sponsored links:

• sm said:
    I think it is unlikely we will rush into getting a new head coach. Scott can't afford to get this one wrong and if Fleming and Pearce do ok, it will buy him time.
    My prime test of a good manager will be their ability and willingness to stand up to Scott and Rodwell - the last two have been yes men.
    Surely the prime test should be about turning the performance of the team around. I can't see Scott and Rodwell appointing a manager who would stand up to them, in other words disagree and undermine them.
  • Not convinced by Jones, did well at Luton but he's been awful everywhere else. The managers at Luton in between and after him have also done just as well, if not better (Graeme Jones excluded). Which makes me wonder how much is actually down to him, or the structure and support around the club.
    We’re not going to be successful whoever the manager is until we get the structure and support right.

Some of our previous managers would have been successful if that was in place. Just as Powell and Bowyer would have failed had we made a mess of recruitment ahead of their promotion seasons.

It’s important to get the right manager, but there’s probably a good number out there who would do well for us if the other things they need are in place.
  • sm said:
    Surely the prime test should be about turning the performance of the team around. I can't see Scott and Rodwell appointing a manager who would stand up to them, in other words disagree and undermine them.
    And you don't think the two were not linked? My experience in life is that sycophancy is usually a cover for poor management.
  • jbaker said:
    N Jones is close 
    Shopping at Macro?
    Seen in Woolwich Wimpy, so fairly close. But not closer than close.

KB little sister...you're up!
  • I think we can do a lot lot worse than Jones and he was top of my list out of the candidates put forward! I would very much welcome him! Put it this way, and I am being deadly serious here, if we are too far gone and we go down, I honestly think he is the right man longer term for a rebuild! think a lot of people have overlooked this.

Everybody keeps mentioning Stoke but he inherited a team of players on huge wages who were there for the ride and were above the manager! They were truly beyond repair! He proved this when he went back to Luton and hit the ground running! 

• RC_CAFC said:
    How good would it be to have a manager that jumps to a club higher in the pyramid because he’s done an outstanding job instead of sacked in disgrace. 
    And the last one that did that was?? 
  • what was it, two promotions with Luton and got them to Championship play offs too, losing to Huddersfield. I'd prefer Duff but other than him we are not going to get any better than Jones.
  • Warnock’s last job in football will be to take a team flirting with relegation from League 1 all the way back to the Premier League. And I’m not talking about Reading…
  • sm said:
    Idiots if that's the case. If the new bloke can't front up to 2 useless twits, how on earth are they going to manage with 24 guys in the 'prime' of their physical life?
  • what was it, two promotions with Luton and got them to Championship play offs too, losing to Huddersfield. I'd prefer Duff but other than him we are not going to get any better than Jones.
    One from League Two. He left Mid-season in League One, Mick Harford took over and got them promoted.