Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Rothko said:
    My view on Jones and Southampton is, that relegation was always on the radar, the ownership thought they could cheap it in the Premier League, and that squad needed some decent experience to make it competitive.

as for what happened at Stoke, that is probably for someone else to answer, but no one has got it right there since Pullis. 
    Jones didn't even do that badly at Southampton, considering their position, but their fans kind of decided from the outgo they didn't want him and he didn't cope well with it.
  • edited January 25
    Must admit I’m wary of getting Jones. Comes across sometimes as a bit of a knob and does he like himself a bit too much ? Plenty of support for him on this thread though so I’ll bow to better knowledge than mine. One positive though. I’m guessing that in order to come to us I think he’ll have had plenty of assurances about team building. That can only be good.
    I think it needs someone with a lot of self belief to make any difference at this stage, someone whose going to come into the dressing room and just set a fire under collective feet.

I'd rather have a successful dickhead (and at our level, he IS successful) than a nice but not overly talented type like Holden (with Appleton being the worst of both - neither likeable nor particularly talented, IMO.)
  • jbaker said:
    N Jones is close 
    Shopping at Macro?
    Seen in Woolwich Wimpy, so fairly close. But not closer than close.

• follett said:
    Rothko said:
    My view on Jones and Southampton is, that relegation was always on the radar, the ownership thought they could cheap it in the Premier League, and that squad needed some decent experience to make it competitive.

as for what happened at Stoke, that is probably for someone else to answer, but no one has got it right there since Pullis. 
    Jones didn't even do that badly at Southampton, considering their position, but their fans kind of decided from the outgo they didn't want him and he didn't cope well with it.
    Yeah, the MO that season there didn’t seem to be based on anything sensible, and this year they’ve been successful but a lot of that is funded by JWP sale 
  • thenewbie said:
    Must admit I’m wary of getting Jones. Comes across sometimes as a bit of a knob and does he like himself a bit too much ? Plenty of support for him on this thread though so I’ll bow to better knowledge than mine. One positive though. I’m guessing that in order to come to us I think he’ll have had plenty of assurances about team building. That can only be good.
    I think it needs someone with a lot of self belief to make any difference at this stage, someone whose going to come into the dressing room and just set a fire under collective feet.

I'd rather have a successful dickhead (and at our level, he IS successful) than a nice but not overly talented type like Holden (with Appleton being the worst of both - neither likeable nor particularly talented, IMO.)
    Don’t get me wrong. I hope, if he is the choice that he blows it out of the water and he’ll get my 100% support. Just wary.
  • edited January 25
    Nathan Jones, you've been gone too long...🙄

Corney I know, but worth a wind up!!

• Nathan Jones, you've been gone too long...🙄

THE SUPREMES nathan jones (youtube.com) Whoosh
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    jbaker said:
    N Jones is close 
    Big statement appointment if true, a huge upgrade on Holden/Appleton. 

We can learn from Jones career that he needs a well run set up behind him (Luton) rather than a mess (Stoke). This is my main concern but I still think it’s a coup that we’ve got him and am happy with that. Tactically he is a 4-4-2 diamond or 3-5-2 man so very similar to Bowyer which I think suits the squad well 
    What "good manager" doesn't need a good set up in the background?

This is a bit like triggers broomstick, you can't be a good manager without good players.
    Well Lee Bowyer managed quite well with us, there are some managers that can do well in spite of background mess 
    Ok the background wasn't good but the players were.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 25
    Nathan Jones, you've been gone too long...🙄

THE SUPREMES nathan jones (youtube.com) Whoosh
    Whooosh ?..🤔
  • edited January 25
    Addick_8 said:
    I think far too many people are looking at next season. I wouldn't worry about getting out of League 1 next season I'd worry about the next few months and what we need to do.
    Some need to accept we are in serious trouble & have an awful run of games coming up. 
    Would snap your hand off for Warnock at least till the end of the season, I'd be relatively confident we will be playing League 1 football next season.
    We are far from being too good to go down.
    I could go for that. I did say yesterday that I'd take a short term appointment just to keep us up ( Curbs or Powell) and then get a permanent manager in May once the season is over and then let them plan for the new season.  
  • edited January 25
    If it is Jones and he switches to a 442 diamond it makes signing a number 10 even more critical.

AMB
    Watson Jones REG/Gillesphey Edun
           Dobson
       Coventry Bakinson
           *NEW*
        May    Ladapo
    Get Camera and Fraser in the middle and that’s a solid team, imo
  • I'd be happy with Jones
  • My only concern with Jones is whether he would look at jumping ship if a championship club came in for him? Similar to Beale at QPR. I’d be very excited if we did manage to get this one over the line. 
  • follett said:
    If true then we can clearly afford to be shopping for a decent quality of manager. Begs the question of why we settled for Appleton last time out.
    Because they thought they could do things on the cheap, they now realise they have f***** things up so far and are staring a relegation in the face.
  • At the end of the day whoever it is, just needs to get us to win enough games to stay up.

I don't care how, play the 11 biggest players we have and just bully a couple of results out of teams if that's what works
  • NabySarr said:
    Warnock is a manager to keep us up this season.  

We should be looking for a manager to do that and then get us promoted next season and take us on into the championship. Warnock is not that man 

I don’t think anyone thinks Warnock is a long term solution but I’d take him until the end of the season  while we undertake a proper recruitment. Of those currently available and with the ability we need, some will not entertain us. That leaves a very small pool to choose from. I just don’t think we should rush appointing if it’s possible to get in someone like Warnock to get us out of a hole while we find the right man. If he could be persuaded to take next season also I’d take that as well. Getting us promoted is the most important thing and I think he’s as qualified to do that as any of the names being mentioned. Sadly I think the chances are next to zero.
    If you want someone short term then I would suggest looking closer to home and put Curbs in charge and let him oversee the eventual head coach appointment. 
  • We could do with one hard bastard. One that doesn’t suffer fools gladly but adept at man management at the same time.
    One that could command respect for what he has achieved. Good god, I don’t want much do I.
  • Sponsored links:

• My only concern with Jones is whether he would look at jumping ship if a championship club came in for him? Similar to Beale at QPR. I’d be very excited if we did manage to get this one over the line. 
    Would only happen if he does a good job, which would mean we have a chance at promotion. Would take that all day long.
  • Mixed feelings about Jones, pleased we seem to not be shopping in the cheap end of the market but slightly concerned he is a one club success story which happened at a club that is incredibly well run so may not all have been down to him. 

I would have preferred Warnock if he was seriously an option but Jones will still get my full support if announced. 
  • I mentioned to my mate that we need someone that is not going to be messed about. He said what about Joey Barton. Hopefully, he wasn’t being serious, can you imagine.
  • thenewbie said:

Don’t get me wrong. I hope, if he is the choice that he blows it out of the water and he’ll get my 100% support. Just wary.
    I understand. There's honestly not a single candidate been mentioned so far that has unequivocally got me thinking yes that is the one I think is perfect.

They all have caveats and queries, arguments for and against.

The single most important criteria for me almost doesn't matter who the actual choice is - whoever we get needs to be telling the SMT "this is what we need to do, this is who we need to get" NOT the other way around.

Just watched his interview on Sky Sports after he left Southampton. Mentions he likes to build rather than chop and change. https://youtu.be/60FOnT2cR4Q?si=0bCIi8_E5kGDEaHb
  • pettgra said:
    I mentioned to my mate that we need someone that is not going to be messed about. He said what about Joey Barton. Hopefully, he wasn’t being serious, can you imagine.
    Why Not? Joey as manager and Eni Aluko as his assistant...
  • edited January 25
    I don’t think Jones will be as long term as people think. If he does ok with us, he will be off within the first sniff off a better offer elsewhere, like he did twice at Luton.

Only flip side is that I think we have more potential than Luton if things go well, but I don’t think he has shown to be loyal before. 

However, we have just had 3 managers in a row who was utter crap, so feel like I should be happy we managed to get Jones.
  • Bedsaddick said:
    pettgra said:
    I mentioned to my mate that we need someone that is not going to be messed about. He said what about Joey Barton. Hopefully, he wasn’t being serious, can you imagine.
    Why Not? Joey as manager and Eni Aluko as his assistant...
    That would be a dream pairing.
  • Addick_8 said:
    I don’t think Jones will be as long term as people think. If he does ok with us, he will be off within the first sniff off a better offer elsewhere, like he did twice at Luton.

Only flip side is that I think we have more potential than Luton if things go well, but I don’t think he has shown to be loyal before. 

However, we have just had 3 managers in a row who was utter crap, so feel like I should be happy we managed to get Jones.
    Doing well for 12 months then jumping ship again would be a big risk. IF he came in and things started going well, it'd be in his interests to stick around for a while and show he can build something imo.