Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• edited January 25
    RedChaser said:
    ross1 said:
    Why Jones in defence?, TT has been playing better
    Agreed and the full backs are poor at defending, we need clean sheets and must abandon the Kevin Keegan we’ll score more than you approach 😤.
    Well I’m blowed just listened to Curtis Fleming’s press conference and has quoted me almost verbatim, come on @AFKABartram own up he’s recently become a lifer hasn’t he 😉
  • Jones coming here will show some intent by him. Pretty sure he could wait for a Championship job, if he does come in and isn't a success then he'll struggle to get a job higher 
  • follett said:
    If Jones fails at Charlton then I think we truly have to accept the managers aren't the issue at this club. He's a huge coup for a league one club. It would be a very impressive appointment and I assume he would be on quite a lot of money.
    ......or he's a busted flush who can only do it at one club.

Let's not forget he failed miserably at both Stoke and Southampton, a combined 11 wins in 52 games. He's not exactly the messiah, although he might be compared to some of the dross we've had in recent years.
  • edited January 25
  • edited January 25
    Looking at Jones's managerial career, he has had success at clubs on the up but failed at clubs on the decline

😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬
  • Sponsored links:

• Addick_8 said:
    Call me crazy with our current plight but I'd take Jason Euell. I know he is highly rated as a coach and yes, lacks managerial experience but only one way to get that. Been in the game for a long term and I've heard he is fantastic with the players in terms of man-management and connection which I think we desperately need. Also would have the backing of the fans.
    Crazy  :)
  • Looking at Jones's managerial career, he has had success at clubs on the up but failed at clubs on the decline

😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬
    Though Luton sacked John Still when they were 17th in L2 and Jones took them to 11th.
  • I think King Lennie coached with Fleming at Bolton . Bring back the relegation firefighter .
  • Rothko said:
    follett said:
    If Jones fails at Charlton then I think we truly have to accept the managers aren't the issue at this club. He's a huge coup for a league one club. It would be a very impressive appointment and I assume he would be on quite a lot of money.
    ......or he's a busted flush who can only do it at one club.

Let's not forget he failed miserably at both Stoke and Southampton, a combined 11 wins in 52 games. He's not exactly the messiah, although he might be compared to some of the dross we've had in recent years.
    Been done to death on this thread about where Southampton and Stoke were when he arrived
    And are we in any better shape ?
  • sam3110 said:
    I'd take Rowett over anyone else right now tbh
    He left Millwall because he wanted to move back north and spend more time with family. Zero chance we are going to persuade him to move back down south less than a year later and at the bottom of the league below.
    Whether we are appealing enough is one thing, but I never bought the ‘want to be closer to home’ angle given when he left Millwall. I think it had run its course and he was getting out at exactly the right time. 
    He had a special relationship with thr Chairman and not so special with his son and the MD who took the reins over.

He really is a family man, local, born and bred and wants a job closer to home. 
  • With all due respect, I think Rowett, and a lot of the other names mentioned on this thread, would rather wait for a bigger job to come along. And a better run club. 
    Most probably, but unless we do something to try and attract someone like Rowett, Jones and perhaps Duff, we might as well just give up now.  It’s going to be tough, but we’ve exhausted most other options.  We can’t go down the Garner/Holden route, nor can we plunder the Appleton/Cowley/Lee Johnson type pool. 

We’re absolutely in the shit, that’s not up for debate, but IF (and it’s a big IF) these owners are genuine and want to protect their recent investment in playing squad, then someone like a Rowett/Jones is critical 
  • Just one big yawn. It will make no fucking difference who the manager is.
    You ok mate ?
    We’ve just had Appleton - I beg to differ. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We obviously need to get it right for immediate results, but we do need to think long-term and be planning for 2-3 seasons at least. 
  • ValleyBen said:
    Addick_8 said:
    I don’t think Jones will be as long term as people think. If he does ok with us, he will be off within the first sniff off a better offer elsewhere, like he did twice at Luton.

Only flip side is that I think we have more potential than Luton if things go well, but I don’t think he has shown to be loyal before. 

However, we have just had 3 managers in a row who was utter crap, so feel like I should be happy we managed to get Jones.
    We can worry about him jumping ship when he has hopefully got us out of this league. 
    Hear hear.

And if he makes a big difference & gets us to a decent place in L1 by the end of the season, AS & co need to make him an offer he can't refuse with a big bonus if he takes us into the Championship next season. 

I posted a week or two ago that we should seriously think about spending some of the owners' money on a young , experienced manager - an investment perhaps more worthy of speculating to accumulate than on players. 
  • Given the situation we find ourselves in and the need to progress quickly, there’s only one person for me and that’s Warnock on an 18 month contract. If we can tempt him out of retirement that is. 
  • Mark Kinsella
  • Been thinking about Fleming and his arrival 12 days ago is no coincidence in my eyes, particularly as him and Appleton have no history of working together.

So to me either 

1 Fleming had been brought into club to potentially be an Appleton replacement and there’s been a fortnight of understanding the squad etc, The ‘interim’ phase is effectively a trial to see how it goes and if a positive reaction is gained next game or two, he keeps the job.

2. Or he had been catapulted in in advance for who is going to be the next manager, so that when he arrives, his right hand man is already in the building and they are not starting it cold?

Second one seems the most likely to me. I’m 99% it’s not the 3rd option, that he was genuinely brought in to assist Appleton and it’s all been a coincidence and lucky timing for him he finds himself in this position 
    If we're looking to bring in a decent level manager then wouldn't he want to bring his own assistant with him? 

If i was a good manager and had worked well with my own assistant in previous roles, i don't think i'd be too keen to take a job where someone i'd never worked with before was forced on me.
    That is my point 2 Chris; that the next manager was already kind of arranged (in this case Pearson), and his lieutenant has been brought in in advance 
    I believe I said this as soon as Fleming was appointed, but don't remember where.
    No, sorry, but that’s nonsense. That’s like, ‘All politicians are the same’.