Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Just one big yawn. It will make no fucking difference who the manager is.
    We’ve just had Appleton - I beg to differ. 
    Yup. Exactly. Same league position as the last 3 managers.
  • Uboat said:
    Just one big yawn. It will make no fucking difference who the manager is.
    No, sorry, but that’s nonsense. That’s like, ‘All politicians are the same’. 
    No it isn't. The problems with this club are not down to the manager.
  • RedChaser said:
    You ok mate ?
    I'm a Charlton supporter, so that's probably a "no, not for some time"....
  • Jones has the right kind of desire, drive and fire to drag us out of this mess. He’s also got a little bit of bonkers about him + enough arrogance / confidence to look at us and want to do it!

But…with the immediate run of games incoming, we may find ourselves getting a little closer than we are now to the bottom 4. We can’t panic, boo, get on the players (I can hear the feint echoes of a “you’re not fit to wear the shirt”) or start abusing the board. 
    We’re going to need a bit of patience, however frightening the next few weeks may be.

Patience!
    Think you might draw a blank with some of our supporters.
  • RedChaser said:
    You ok mate ?
    I'm a Charlton supporter, so that's probably a "no, not for some time"....
    I feel your pain, we’re all scarred by our demise over the last 15 years. Trouble is we have no control over who owns us provided they’ve passed the EFL’s fit and proper tests. So we can’t do much more than stick with it and hope for the best. You never know we might just hit lucky with the next managerial appointment like we did Curbs, Sir Chris and Bow 🙏. Once an Addick always an Addick, no one ever said it would be plain sailing, keep the faith COYRs 😉.
  • Nathan Jones is at the Bournemouth v Swansea game tonight
  • If we work on the theory that Fleming was lined up to work with a future manager:

- he did his UEFA Pro Licence with Paul Cook in 2011. Top of the National League with Chesterfield at the moment.

- worked with and has the same agent as Nigel Pearson, Appleton (maybe that was the link?), Steve Evans, Jason Euell, Stephen Clemence and…Chris Powell

• edited January 25
    Nathan Jones is at the Bournemouth v Swansea game tonight
    Swansea fan isn’t he? They’ve just appointed a new manager. 

Edit: whoops, he’s a Cardiff boy. 
  • Sponsored links:

• RC_CAFC said:
    How good would it be to have a manager that jumps to a club higher in the pyramid because he’s done an outstanding job instead of sacked in disgrace. 
    When was the last time that happened at Charlton?

Closest it got was Lennie and think Middlesbrough were in the same division.

We have a problem most of the squad are not strong or good enough.
    Was it not Jim Rodwell that said at the live fans forum via YouTube that said judge us at the end of the transfer window.
    Got a funny feeling we will be worst off.
  • Why is Scott Parker not the top of everyone's list?? He's about to take the Plymouth job ffs.
    I don’t think his ego would let him drop down to League One. And that’s without going into the reasons why most wouldn’t welcome him being appointed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    With all due respect, I think Rowett, and a lot of the other names mentioned on this thread, would rather wait for a bigger job to come along. And a better run club. 
    A blatant dig and it's rewarded with a load of likes, really? 
    Yeah sometimes he says okay stuff, other times he talks shit like this and gets away with it.
    So what part of my post was shit? This may be a hard pill to swallow but maybe the reason my post got likes was because it’s true, and the people who liked it are realists. 

I like a bit of banter as you’ll all know but you’ll also notice I’ve held back over the last few months (and even years). I’m not one to kick people when they’re down and you’ll see I have only really been posting on the Millwall threads or non football related ones. 

One dose of realism on this thread and you accuse me of talking shit! Bit harsh lol 😆
    Realism? Every person on here knows our situation, we don't need a Millwall fan to chime in and say it's a small job essentially. 

I don't actually mind about the nature of the post, it bothers me that you're a Millwall fan, chucking digs in and it's received a warm reception. Fat chance of that happening on any of your social networks if the shoe was on the other foot.
  • Nathan Jones is at the Bournemouth v Swansea game tonight
    So we are signing Dominic Solanke then...😄. 
  • Having listened to Fleming's press conference I'd be happy with him at the helm for the next few weeks whilst we speak to serious contenders. You never know, Fleming might just be the man. 
  • edited January 26
    Some people are so precious. Who gives a shit what @MillwallFan thinks if you don't agree fair enough but he makes a good point, who would want the job at this point? 

He's a lot more reasoned than 99% of their knuckle-dragging, racist, homophobic, shithead fanbase (probably why he spends so much time on here)
  • Why is Scott Parker not the top of everyone's list?? He's about to take the Plymouth job ffs.

I can only guess it is because he is a shit manager, but you are correct that that has not stopped our board with their first two appointments.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    With all due respect, I think Rowett, and a lot of the other names mentioned on this thread, would rather wait for a bigger job to come along. And a better run club. 
    A blatant dig and it's rewarded with a load of likes, really? 
    Yeah sometimes he says okay stuff, other times he talks shit like this and gets away with it.
    So what part of my post was shit? This may be a hard pill to swallow but maybe the reason my post got likes was because it’s true, and the people who liked it are realists. 

I like a bit of banter as you’ll all know but you’ll also notice I’ve held back over the last few months (and even years). I’m not one to kick people when they’re down and you’ll see I have only really been posting on the Millwall threads or non football related ones. 

One dose of realism on this thread and you accuse me of talking shit! Bit harsh lol 😆
    Realism? Every person on here knows our situation, we don't need a Millwall fan to chime in and say it's a small job essentially. 

I don't actually mind about the nature of the post, it bothers me that you're a Millwall fan, chucking digs in and it's received a warm reception. Fat chance of that happening on any of your social networks if the shoe was on the other foot.
    Our current situation isn’t great admittedly and MillwallFan is within his rights to point out that harsh reality whether it can be perceived as a dig or not is another question.

However as evidenced during Lee Bowyer’s reign our situation can also very quickly build momentum and turn on its head as showed culminating with nearly 40k at Wembley and a good first 3 following months after in The Championship. Our potential will still always be greater than Millwall’s even after all this time in the doldrums.
  • Even Bowyer would have failed (or resigned) with Scott sticking his nose in.

So will the next scapegoat. 
  • edited January 26
    People talk about not being in a position to gamble on a first time manager but anyone “established”, like Pearson, Rowett, or Warnock, who might actually be good enough to turn us around is unlikely to want to join us in our current state. It would take stupid money and the sales pitch if all time from Scott and Rodwell.

The kind of established managers we can more realistically attract are the same uninspiring dross like Appleton and Garner. Not what we need at all. 

Even the likes of Jones and Ainsworth are unlikely to want it and either of those would come with a lot of risk anyway having both failed away from their first club and also coming across as a bit weird with some of the stuff they come out with. The kinds of characters that are great if everyone buys in but can quickly come unstuck and start to look stupid if things don’t go well. 

I think a lot of our fans overestimate how much of a draw we are. We’re a middling sized club and we’re a mess right now. Even in the good old days we ended up with no marks like Dowie and Parkinson or a chancer like Pardew. 

Our best chance of finding a good manager, who would come here, and work in the management structure that has been put in place is to look at new managers or up and comers from League 2 and the National League.

Powell, Bowyer, even Curbs - they were all new managers we took a gamble on but they paid off big time.

I also like the idea of a link to the club. It shouldn’t matter but it does seem that having a connection here makes managerial success more likely.