Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• follett said:
    A team 18th in League One getting Nathan Jones is really impressive. It's just over a year ago a pretty well run Premier League club opted for him as manager. Although it didn't work out, his achievements at Luton are remarkable and I really hope if we give him time, he could do the same here.
    the 'remarkable achievements' at Luton were, as I have opined before, more down to Mick Harford than Jones .. as I have also said before, Jones is NOT NOT NOT the manager we need, he is at best a fair to middling player coach
    I think that's a bit harsh. To go from League 2 to the championship play offs you need a good manager at the helm. They are both responsible for Luton's achievements
  • does NJ have a dedicated assistant or do people think he would work with CF
    Not sure about a dedicated assistant, but reckon it comes down to whether or not NJ and CF can work together. Hopefully, if it is NJ they can as quite like CF.
  • If Luton's success was all down to Harford, then why not just get Harford instead. 

Easy innit. 
  • Why did he fail at Stoke @bobmunro ?

is he a twat 
  • I am a bit skittish about Nathan Jones, but every manager is a punt, and you can't deny that down at this level he has been exceptional.

I wonder how his appointment would be viewed in the wider game. For instance would someone like Collins see we have appointment him, and that would make him more likely to come to us?
  • Is Nathan Jones the Clarke Harris of CAFC managerial appointments?

After extensive talks we could not quite get the deal over the line due to his outrageous demands (leaked extensively, of course).

This brave attempt to recruit such a high profile manager just shows the ambition and determination of this superb board of Directors that have bravely led us to 18th in the third tier through no fault of their own etc etc.

• Sponsored links:

• If Luton's success was all down to Harford, then why not just get Harford instead. 

Easy innit. 
    easy indeed, BUT Harford is a Luton man through and through and would not want the hassle of managing a struggling lower league club .. good idea though 
  • 'Has his favourites; rewarding loyalty is often a double-edged sword and is sometimes hesitant to acknowledge when a good servant is in bad form'

Mixed bag this; almost all our players are in bad form but I wouldn't say we have a lot of good servants in there either!
  • Nathan Jones would be fantastic and real sign of intent from the owners.  I remember seeing Millwall fans laughing off the idea that they could lure Nathan Jones this season so the fact a struggling league one side can speaks volumes.  
    Yeah, but Millwall are only a small club, innit?
  • I have now read the article about Nathan Jones.
    Really impressive stuff.

If we could get him in and he can inject a bit of stability into the squad to ride out this season and remain in League 1, who knows what could happen next season!
  • Scoham said:
    follett said:
    A team 18th in League One getting Nathan Jones is really impressive. It's just over a year ago a pretty well run Premier League club opted for him as manager. Although it didn't work out, his achievements at Luton are remarkable and I really hope if we give him time, he could do the same here.
    the 'remarkable achievements' at Luton were, as I have opined before, more down to Mick Harford than Jones .. as I have also said before, Jones is NOT NOT NOT the manager we need, he is at best a fair to middling player coach
    Nathan Jones managed them for 170 games between January 2016 and January 2019. He got them promoted from L2 in that time and managed the first half of their L1 winning season.

Mick Harford managed them for 21 games between January 2019 and May 2019 (when they won L1).

Nathan Jones then came back in 2020, kept them up in the Championship, then finished 12th and improved again when they finished 6th and lost in the playoffs. He managed them for another 133 games.

Wanted to look this up to understand your point. In the 5 months Harford was there how could he have had a greater influence than the 300+ games Jones was there, in which they improved every season?
    Mick was Head of Recruitment and Scouting at Luton since 2016, dont know if he's still there in a role, as stepped away in 2021 to deal with Prostate Cancer, but then took over as Caretaker Manager in 2022 when Jones left for Southampton

(Wiki)
  • Scoham said:
    follett said:
    Nathan Jones managed them for 170 games between January 2016 and January 2019. He got them promoted from L2 in that time and managed the first half of their L1 winning season.

Mick Harford managed them for 21 games between January 2019 and May 2019 (when they won L1).

Nathan Jones then came back in 2020, kept them up in the Championship, then finished 12th and improved again when they finished 6th and lost in the playoffs. He managed them for another 133 games.

Wanted to look this up to understand your point. In the 5 months Harford was there how could he have had a greater influence than the 300+ games Jones was there, in which they improved every season?
    Mick was Head of Recruitment and Scouting at Luton since 2016, dont know if he's still there in a role, as stepped away in 2021 to deal with Prostate Cancer, but then took over as Caretaker Manager in 2022 when Jones left for Southampton

(Wiki)
    Ok that makes a bit more sense, but it doesn’t take away from what Jones achieved. Recruitment and coaching/management both need to be good for a club to progress like Luton have.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 29

Jones is a devout Christian who credits his faith with getting him through bad times.[72] He has several religious tattoos on his body including praying hands and the crucifixion on his left biceps and forearm, Jesus Christ on his right biceps, and Michaelangelo's 'The Creation of Adam' across his back.[73]

Nathan Jones does not hide his faith and is very open to mentioning it during press conferences, occasionally appending 'God willing' to his hope that his tactics work.

So he believes in miracles , religious and tattoos something for everyone to get involved with , like/dislike /wank off 

I'm an atheist/agnostic depending on which side of the gutter I wake up on but many players are believers and I really don't care if a manager believe in the fictional deity or relaxes by putting his cock in custard.
    ( Please try this at home and not at your staff canteen)

Just be good at your job and get the players into some sort of shape so we at least stay up and move a few places up to mid table.
    Halcyon days not but we need to stop the slide before we can move on up.
  • Jones is a devout Christian who credits his faith with getting him through bad times.[72] He has several religious tattoos on his body including praying hands and the crucifixion on his left biceps and forearm, Jesus Christ on his right biceps, and Michaelangelo's 'The Creation of Adam' across his back.[73]

Nathan Jones does not hide his faith and is very open to mentioning it during press conferences, occasionally appending 'God willing' to his hope that his tactics work.

So he believes in miracles , religious and tattoos something for everyone to get involved with , like/dislike /wank off 

you should really credit Wikipedia for the religious comments .. thing is though IF Jones is appointed (I sincerely hope not) we will surely have God and his only begotten son on our bench, at least in spirit
  • Not a solo act if he believes he has the Christian God as his partner.
    His most recent Number Two was Chris Cohen. Who has just joined Lincoln. 
  • edited January 29
    Scoham said:
    follett said:

two main points .. Harford was the manager for the important five months during which Luton were promoted from L1, secondly he was with the club, and I believe he still is for far longer than 5 months .. and on TWO occasions he has taken over Luton's management following Jones's desertion of the club. Harford was there during Luton's 'success' in the Championship.
    Jones is a serial loser more than a serial winner and is not to be trusted ..  yes he got Luton out of L2, BUT what has he achieved since as a solo act ?

ANYWAY, we all have our opinions about good/bad managers, I say once more, I wouldn't touch Nathan Jones with a bargepole when it comes to managing CAFC
    I don’t have a strong opinion on Jones, but as manager Jones was in the job a lot longer than Harford, and improving season on season is success. Even more so in the Championship with the limited budget Luton would have had.

They both played a big part as that, Harford with recruitment and Jones as manager. That’s true whether or not you like Jones as a person or manager.

The work Jones did set them up to win L1 and he took them from fighting relegation in the Championship to making the playoffs in only 3 seasons.

I don’t see how that makes him a serial loser?

I get that him leaving Luton twice might be what’s putting you off, but it can’t be denied the way the club progressed in over 300 games he managed them for is impressive. Of course others such as Harford would have played big roles in that too. It’s never down to be a single person.

Whether he can do it here is another question. His failures at Stoke and Southampton are reasons to doubt him, but unless we gamble on a new or relatively new manager the majority will have a similar mix of successful and unsuccessful jobs on their CV.
  • Why did he fail at Stoke @bobmunro ?

is he a twat 
    Other halfs family are stoke season ticket holders. As someone put earlier stoke are very much like us. Success over several years in the prem and since being relegated never got it right. 

At the time jones was in charge and probably up to about a year ago they still had players on massive wages in the championship and it was clear that there was a divide in the squad. Also many of the big earners were on big wages and most went on loan where stoke were still paying a % as they were on ridiculous wages. A bit like Sunderland in the championship. Therefore when Jones was in charge he couldn’t really spend big and majority of signings were frees or loans. 

His passion was targeted by their fans where he was pumping his chest as they didn’t win many games and I guess that’s the risk you take being an “actor”. 

Our issue is we need results now and not after the window. As it seems the board would back him in the summer. However, that can’t be in league 2. I think we have enough quality to stay up but again we haven’t given the new manager the best games to gain some momentum and not sacking Appleton before Northampton could be so vital to our season.

His most recent Number Two was Chris Cohen. Who has just joined Lincoln. 
    He also had Alan Sheehan who is current coaching at Swansea.  
    This is my concern. 
    Go back and look at previous managers they all seem to have a reliable number two alongside them.
    Clough had Taylor 
    Redknapp had Jordan 
    The list is endless. 
    Whoever gets the job must be allowed to bring in there own coach,  someone they can trust and be comfortable around. 
    If that means we have to let a couple go so be it.