Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• swansea fans are a bit high on a brand of football that Laudrup, Rodgers and Martin played, but then appointed someone who didn’t set his teams like that, with players who didn’t fit the style.

• Jason Euell says he wants it. 
    And I want both Margot Robbie and Megan fox at the same time

Would be great on the touchline. But not sure of their defensive tactics
  • Swansea mate on Duff:

Just was never going to play our passing style. And shit players. 
  • A failed job is always a slight concern, but if we get Jones or Duff then for me that’ll be a massive step up.
  • Been thinking about Fleming and his arrival 12 days ago is no coincidence in my eyes, particularly as him and Appleton have no history of working together.

So to me either 

1 Fleming had been brought into club to potentially be an Appleton replacement and there’s been a fortnight of understanding the squad etc, The ‘interim’ phase is effectively a trial to see how it goes and if a positive reaction is gained next game or two, he keeps the job.

2. Or he had been catapulted in in advance for who is going to be the next manager, so that when he arrives, his right hand man is already in the building and they are not starting it cold?

Second one seems the most likely to me. I’m 99% it’s not the 3rd option, that he was genuinely brought in to assist Appleton and it’s all been a coincidence and lucky timing for him he finds himself in this position 
    If we're looking to bring in a decent level manager then wouldn't he want to bring his own assistant with him? 

If i was a good manager and had worked well with my own assistant in previous roles, i don't think i'd be too keen to take a job where someone i'd never worked with before was forced on me.
    That is my point 2 Chris; that the next manager was already kind of arranged (in this case Pearson), and his lieutenant has been brought in in advance 
  • Swansea podcast discussing Duff. It sounds ridiculous and familiar in equal measure. 

The “Swansea way” is a load of old sh*te. The reason they didn’t think he was a good fit is because he wasn’t winning games of football there. 

It’s the kind of thing West Ham fans would level at Moyes. Funny how that goes quiet as soon as they win a few games isn’t it?

Same with every club im afraid. Want bows now but not when we were losing… why would he come back is my question to anyone touting his name.
  • Pearson. . . With Fleming and Euell as assistants. 
  • Rothko said:
    swansea fans are a bit high on a brand of football that Laudrup, Rodgers and Martin played, but then appointed someone who didn’t set his teams like that, with players who didn’t fit the style.

And couldn’t win games 
  • Nathan Jones sounds good enough 
    bot overly keen on the others suggested 👎
  • Problem with Nathan is that he has so much respect at Luton that he could walk in there and have total control of everything. He probably cannot replicate that at other clubs.
  • Sponsored links:

• I wouldn’t mind a manager that checks out the opposition before we play them, and sets the team up to counteract their strengths and exploit their weaknesses.
    I am sorry to say that under Appleton we got the usual ‘it’s gonna be hard’ ‘respect the opposition’ ‘xyz have done a great job at abc’. Too often Appleton seems caught in the headlights when it gradually dawns on him that opponents don’t say ‘after you Jeeves’. Hence his need to make changes in the second halves (especially) of games, and why we have (bar Barnsley away) not seen a consistent 90 minute performance.
    In other words a manager who works harder and faces the specific realities.
  • Berks_Tom said:
    Does anyone think Fleming was appointed in preparation for Pearson to join us after his back surgery?
    Not me.
    I'd like to think Pearson has put that all behind him !
  • Problem with Nathan is that he has so much respect at Luton that he could walk in there and have total control of everything. He probably cannot replicate that at other clubs.
    Even in his first spell?
  • The consensus on here is......that there is no consensus.

People are throwing loads of names around & although there are 2 or 3 that regularly crop up (Jones, Duff.....and Warnock 🙄) there is no clear fans favourite, so I can see the Board will have great trouble pleasing the fans no matter who they choose. 

I really have no clue who I'd like. All the most likely names seem to have good & bad about them and some I don't think I could warm to....just because.

I said last night that I would like the Board to get it right for once & that might take some time. I wouldn't want Fleming & Pearce "caretaking" for too long so if I HAD to choose I'd go with Curbs or Powell just until the end of the season. Get us out of danger & safely into mid table. Then appoint someone in May/June before the transfer window opens. 

I'd think it would be hard to achieve the same level of derision and mistrust that followed the appointment of Appleton Golfie. He certainly wasn't my choice, although I found myself defending him as I didn't think the board had provided a squad good enough for either him or Holden. I would agree with you on the last part, another mistake like the Appleton appointment will drag us into the danger zone, so if Fleming and Pearce produce results, stick with them for the rest of the season. 
  • This management team have cocked up in many ways already. However, on the face of it they appear to have recognised that recruitment wise and looked to address it this month - lets now hope they take the same approach with management.

The have gone with a cheap option in their first two appointments and they have been largely disastrous, time to change that. I disagree with many who say this is a poisoned chalice at the moment - to my mind for any decent manager worth his salt this job is a complete open goal, go and spend what it takes to get one.

A club on its knees, players looking for direction, fans looking for the same and a dismal run of form. But on paper a starting 11 most managers in the division would take without question. Make us hard to beat for 3-4 games and build, slowly get them playing and the whole atmosphere changes.

If we get a decent manager with some momentum towards the end of the season the green shoots will appear and the situation suddenly turns.

For me, Gary Rowett would be excellent at this moment.
  • How about we get AI to design a manager for us?

Knowing our luck, it would end up like a Frankenstein!

• My concern is those in charge think our level is Appleton. That does not bode well for the next one through the door.
    Their ambition is League 1 mid table, what a time to be alive.
    I have a real concern we will be dragged into the fight for relegation.

At the risk of being whooshed can I suggest that we already are.

Certainly agree with your first sentence (not suggesting that you've been inside  :#)

No woosh. Just checked the table I didn't realise we were that far down. Crikey 🥵

Can't wait for the excitement of a relegation battle. What a farce
  • edited January 24
    When Mick McCarthy took over at Blackpool this time last year, following Appleton's dismissal, I guess their board/fans thought he'd get a tune out of the squad he inherited given his track record.  There was no new manager bounce. He failed miserably and they were relegated. If the players simply aren't good enough, nothing even a good  manager can do.

Plenty seem to have faith that our squad is good enough, but I'm not so sure.  We'll soon find out.

I'd like Warburton, but can't see him being interested.
  • swordfish said:
    When Mick McCarthy took over at Blackpool this time last year, following Appleton's dismissal, I guess their board/fans thought he'd get a tune out of the squad he inherited given his track record.  There was no new manager bounce. He failed miserably and they were relegated. If the players simply aren't good enough, nothing even a good  manager can do.

Plenty seem to have faith that our squad is good enough, but I'm not so sure.  We'll soon find out.

Blackpool’s squad in the championship is expected to be down the bottom ours is definitely not especially with the front two we have, that’s without players like Coventry and the new centre back signings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Mate of mine who's a City fan said Fleming is a top bloke and was really well liked at Bristol City and won the games where he was interim boss there, no idea if it will translate here but thought it was worth passing on to give a vague resemblance of positivity 
    Hope so. But implies MA ignored him since he was here. 
  • BigDiddy said:
    How about we get AI to design a manager for us?

Knowing our luck, it would end up like a Frankenstein!
    Here he is. Looks like the lovechild of Bowyer and Riga.

Is the player behind (no.2) called Cockeyd? 
    He’ll do well in our defence. 
  • Mate of mine who's a City fan said Fleming is a top bloke and was really well liked at Bristol City and won the games where he was interim boss there, no idea if it will translate here but thought it was worth passing on to give a vague resemblance of positivity 
    Hope so. But implies MA ignored him since he was here. 
    Whatever marching orders Fleming had when he came in, it would have been difficult not to go in the direction MA and his first team coach were pointing. I have no idea what Fleming's like really but I'm hopeful he can begin to turn our fortunes around.
  • Yann897 said:
    swordfish said:

Blackpool’s squad in the championship is expected to be down the bottom ours is definitely not especially with the front two we have, that’s without players like Coventry and the new centre back signings.
    There's still some issues with our squad - full backs are not good especially if we are set on 352 and getting them to create as well as defend. 
  • Yann897 said:
    swordfish said:

There's still some issues with our squad - full backs are not good especially if we are set on 352 and getting them to create as well as defend. 
    Agreed. I think REG could play in that position. I thought he looked tidy yesterday. 

• Someone has obviously been having a flutter because Jones has come in to 1/2.
  • I hope Fleming and Pearce are able to stop the rot and get some results out of a group of players who hopefully feel a sense of release from the shackles of playing for a manager they don't believe in.
    I also hope that if that happens some cnut doesn't think it will be a good idea to make them permanent