Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Duff had great success at Cheltenham and did well with Barnsley.

When his teams came to the Valley they were very well drilled and organised which is why I want him.

Flopped at Swansea but even Fergie got sacked once.

Relatively young and is available.

----------

Rowett is a former Charlton captain, did well at Birmingham until unfairly sacked and then did a good job with the Scottish club.

Doesn't play "exciting" football but I'll take winning over any fancy style of losing.

Won a promotion and took his last side to their highest finish in years.  Currently between jobs. Knows Curbs and Brownie so could get their views, not just Scott and Rodwell's.  Supposedly wanted to move back up north but not sure how true that is.

---------

Nathan Jones was a success as our U21 coach and did very well for Luton but had bad spells at Stoke and Southampton. A high risk option and has had made strange comments in the media.

First name linked on social media. 

------------

Nigel Pearson would be a "safe pair of hands". Very experienced with some successes but also failures, most recently at Bristol City where Jason Euell was his coach. Also worked with Curtis Fleming.   Had a recent illness so probably not one for now.

----------

Graham Potter or Steve Cooper..oh come on, be serious.

-------------

Chris Powell, club legend and was said to have agreed to come in to help Holden but then turned down an interim role when Dean was sacked. Now a number two at Sheffield Wednesday but might fancy coming back to London.

--------------

Jason Pearce was the last interim and might be again, maybe to the end of the season.  Definitely wants to be a manager but doesn't seem in a rush having seen others crash and burn having taken jobs too early.

Caretaker again with Fleming.

---------------

Curtis Fleming is a very experienced coach but has no management experience outside a year in India but would be in pole position for caretaker being a Scott, rather than Appleton, appointment.

Now caretaker.

--------------

John Eustace took over from Lee Bowyer at Birmingham and did well with them, keeping them up and getting them to the fringes of the play-offs, albeit very early in the season.  Reputation has probably been boosted by being unfairly sacked so the owners could have a "big name" manager in Wayne Rooney.  Has done his time as assistant as QPR among others so maybe not be adverse to working in the capital.

----------

Lee Bowyer proved he could build a promotion side at Charlton and he was very good at changing things during games when required.  Seen as a motivator but also as a harsh, critical "old school" type manager that perhaps doesn't go down well with a new generation of players.  

-----------

Mark Bonner did fairly well at Cambridge on a tight budget, young coach, out of work.  Similar track record to Duff at Cheltenham in league 1.  Got a tune out of McGrandles and Jones.  (shamelessly stolen from Brazilance)

‐-------

Jon Brady.

Never heard of him but has done a very good job with Northampton

• edited January 24
    Rowett stand out in that list. Would keep us up and get us up next year. Has the Charlton connection and if he turns out badly we can call him Millwall and bin him without a seconds thought.

Powelly is the one man who could come in, immediately get the fans inside, sort the morale of the squad, maybe persuade some to stay on (Kanu, Campbell, Dobbo etc) in the summer and turn a sinking ship... But it took him half a season of losing to figure his way for the next season and we don't have that this year so not without risk.
  • Powell would be my choice.
    Then Rowett and Jones. 
    Duff is hated at Swansea and had Appleton vibes with the fans. 
  • Chunes said:
    Is Bielsa still available?  :)
    That's actually the best suggestion yet. I think this could really work. 
     Not a chance. He’s far too good for us and he’s Uruguay manager.
  • Does anyone think Fleming was appointed in preparation for Pearson to join us after his back surgery?
  • Berks_Tom said:
    Does anyone think Fleming was appointed in preparation for Pearson to join us after his back surgery?
    Not me.
  • Someone must've put £1.50 on Nathan Jones. 

Gone from 4/1 to  6/4
  • Nathan Jones is hopefully appointed and he speaks to Brighton about helping Scott or replacing him. I can’t say more but there’s a coincidence Luton have done so well after getting “help” from Brighton. Brighton rate jones very highly. Hopefully Charlie gets off his high horse and higher Jones and speak to Brighton  for guidance. 
    Bit cryptic for me, care to expand.
  • I don’t think Fleming is anywhere near it either. I do wonder if he was brought in to a) spy on Appleton and/or b) run his eye over the squad/assess it for Scott. Would like to know what sort of contract he’s on.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 24
    Swansea podcast discussing Duff. It sounds ridiculous and familiar in equal measure. 

The “Swansea way” is a load of old sh*te. The reason they didn’t think he was a good fit is because he wasn’t winning games of football there. 

It’s the kind of thing West Ham fans would level at Moyes. Funny how that goes quiet as soon as they win a few games isn’t it?

• Swansea podcast discussing Duff. It sounds ridiculous and familiar in equal measure. The “Swansea way” is a load of old sh*te. The reason they didn’t think he was a good fit is because he wasn’t winning games of football there.

I never really understood why they appointed him , seemed doomed from the start with their fans being used to a particular style of play. 
  • Swansea podcast discussing Duff. It sounds ridiculous and familiar in equal measure. The “Swansea way” is a load of old sh*te. The reason they didn’t think he was a good fit is because he wasn’t winning games of football there.
    Every club thinks they’re unique. Including us. Duff’s style of play would have been fine if they won games. But he wasn’t good enough there to do so. He was also very dismissive of the Cardiff rivalry and of their fans in general. 
  • Two priorities for the new man

1) Sort the defence out. Hours and hours on the training ground, on shape and marking.
    2) Put a smile on the players' faces. Get back their confidence, get them enjoying football again. Happy, confident players in general make fewer mistakes than nervous ones.
  • CAFCTrev said:
    I think this will be the Charlton Athletic coach: 

More likely to be this 
  • If it does end up being Jones it's a bit of a gamble on his part. After failures in the PL with Southampton and the Championship with Stoke, a failure with us in league one would lower his stock even more, and only increase the noise about him only being able to do it at one club. 

It's an appointment we have to get right, but equally one that i think Jones has to get right as well.
  • Been thinking about Fleming and his arrival 12 days ago is no coincidence in my eyes, particularly as him and Appleton have no history of working together.

So to me either 

1 Fleming had been brought into club to potentially be an Appleton replacement and there’s been a fortnight of understanding the squad etc, The ‘interim’ phase is effectively a trial to see how it goes and if a positive reaction is gained next game or two, he keeps the job.

2. Or he had been catapulted in in advance for who is going to be the next manager, so that when he arrives, his right hand man is already in the building and they are not starting it cold?

Second one seems the most likely to me. I’m 99% it’s not the 3rd option, that he was genuinely brought in to assist Appleton and it’s all been a coincidence and lucky timing for him he finds himself in this position 
    If we're looking to bring in a decent level manager then wouldn't he want to bring his own assistant with him? 

If i was a good manager and had worked well with my own assistant in previous roles, i don't think i'd be too keen to take a job where someone i'd never worked with before was forced on me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jason Euell says he wants it. 
    And I want both Margot Robbie and Megan fox at the same time
    That's just greedy
  • Obviously every coach has to be assessed on individual merit but here’s a suggestion…

What did Ipswich do a couple of years ago when they were struggling in this division? They sacked their journeyman manager and looked for someone young and upcoming from a top team in the country.

Kieran McKenna- they got him from Man U.

Who’s the next one off the rank there? Apparently Eric Ramsay is highly thought of and there have been murmurs of him taking roles elsewhere but they haven't quite worked out for one reason or another yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Ramsay_(football_coach)
    Sounds like an original cast member from neighbours
  • Obviously every coach has to be assessed on individual merit but here’s a suggestion…

What did Ipswich do a couple of years ago when they were struggling in this division? They sacked their journeyman manager and looked for someone young and upcoming from a top team in the country.

Kieran McKenna- they got him from Man U.

Who’s the next one off the rank there? Apparently Eric Ramsay is highly thought of and there have been murmurs of him taking roles elsewhere but they haven't quite worked out for one reason or another yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Ramsay_(football_coach)
    Would not be against this but it is a risk and has gone wrong for a few teams as well. Schumacher got Plymouth up in his first job too, Mousinho has Pompey up there now. 

Maybe Euell is worth a go, certainly did well coaching in our academy and has had a decent amount of senior football experience with us/Bristol City 
  • The consensus on here is......that there is no consensus.

People are throwing loads of names around & although there are 2 or 3 that regularly crop up (Jones, Duff.....and Warnock 🙄) there is no clear fans favourite, so I can see the Board will have great trouble pleasing the fans no matter who they choose. 

I really have no clue who I'd like. All the most likely names seem to have good & bad about them and some I don't think I could warm to....just because.

I said last night that I would like the Board to get it right for once & that might take some time. I wouldn't want Fleming & Pearce "caretaking" for too long so if I HAD to choose I'd go with Curbs or Powell just until the end of the season. Get us out of danger & safely into mid table. Then appoint someone in May/June before the transfer window opens. 

• If we were sitting in midtable mediocrity with basically nothing left to play for I could get on board with a young unproven option from a PL club or someone like Euell. 

However the current situation for me is too precarious for that to be an option I'd consider. 
  • Love the new manager wishlists… every season they get more and more unrealistic 😂
  • Also have to take into consideration where we are as a fan base. There is zero patience being offered, the atmosphere is dreadful, toxicity is never far from rearing its ugly head.

Whoever comes in, is not coming into the happy family club, the model club with a party atmosphere in the covered end every game. They are going to need some steel, some fire and they are going to have to drive us out of the worse version of us.
  • It's all gone very quiet in terms of leaks. Suggests there's something to the Jones link, what we don't know is how many people have been spoken to
  • fenaddick said:
    It's all gone very quiet in terms of leaks. Suggests there's something to the Jones link, what we don't know is how many people have been spoken to

We don't know if anyone has been spoken to yet.