Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• I thought they approached Powell before MA, but only temporary position and he turned it down, perhaps if they offer a permanent position, he might be interested 
  • Wonder if we'll opt for another "head coach" or revert back to the manager title...
  • edited January 24
    Obviously too late now but out of curiosity I'd love to know what the attendance would be like if curbs was appointed as interim!
  • Botched sacking, no obvious plan B, and have appointed two essentially inexperienced interim managers into a relegation fight.

I wish that I thought that whoever is running the club will expedite a rapid and focused recruitment process, however I fear it will be like last time - lots of huffing, puffing leaks and spin before a disappointing and divisive appointment. We need bold and decisive action this week!
  • edited January 24
    I think what is concerning is nobody is really in agreement with any of the options that are being talked about

The fact is, somebody needs to come in and try and steer this club clear of the relegation zone.

I think Nathan Jones, Nigel Pearson are out of our reach, personally I would be happy with either. The latter being an highly experienced manager.

At this point I do not think it is wise to bring back JJ, CP or LB,

Jason Euell - Jason has wanted a management job for ages but with the situation we find ourselves in now does not appear to be the right time. Would be a high risk appointment but would have the fans backing

Neal Warnock - Respected manager who knows how to keep teams up, in our current situation would be my number 1 choice on a temp basis until the end of the season.

Nigal Clough - currently at Mansfield and doing a good enough job with them 4th in League 2, However I do not think he would want to leave his role for the circus that is CAFC atm.

Outside of the box pick would be Andy Woodman - Has done brilliantly at Bromley, Local settled in the area. Charlton would be a big step up so in that respect could be appealing.
  • Headline it ‘Fleming and Pearce take interim charge’, when in reality it’s Fleming is taking charge. 

Do feel like Pearce gets used as a fan softener the same way Jacko used to similarly get wheeled out 
    Don't forget O`Donnell has gone as well, so we need head coach and assistant 
  • Sponsored links:

• CH4RLTON said:
    What a sorry looking list that is , Lee Johnson 2nd fav? No thanks couldn’t think of anything worse , Ainsworth might be a shout of those journey men really 
    This odds list just shows how much thought bookies put into them.

Methven will not want Lee Johnson again, and Nigel Pearson has an illness and last i read he needed surgery.
  • edited January 24
    If you don't know Cameron Toshack; i didn't until 5 minutes ago other than guessing he's the son of John. 
    Was the Leeds assistant head coach until recently and has Managed in Macedonia and Cyprus which I'm sure will help in a relegation struggle in the 3rd tier of the EFL!
  • If you want more of the same Andy Woodman is your man. Not all is as it seems from the outside. We should know that given the goings on over the weekend 
  • I hope Fleming drops the zonal marking of space by the defenders and gets them to mark players. It’s been woeful 
    And Wayne Rooney is available. That’s a joke by the way. 
  • If you want more of the same Andy Woodman is your man. Not all is as it seems from the outside. We should know that given the goings on over the weekend 
    He has the Charlton connection for those that care… was the goalkeeping coach during the Pardew years
  • ButtleJR said:
    Wonder if we'll opt for another "head coach" or revert back to the manager title...
    Much like we only ever seem to succeed with former players in charge (Curbs, Powell, Bowyer) the common factor is they all held the manager title none of this head coach nonsense.

Would love to know if this kind of information ever reaches Methven, Scott etc or whether it’s they know best like we had with previous owners.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    What a sorry looking list that is , Lee Johnson 2nd fav? No thanks couldn’t think of anything worse , Ainsworth might be a shout of those journey men really 
    This odds list just shows how much thought bookies put into them.

Methven will not want Lee Johnson again, and Nigel Pearson has an illness and last i read he needed surgery.

He will fit in perfectly then. 
  • I hope Fleming drops the zonal marking of space by the defenders and gets them to mark players. It’s been woeful 
    Agreed this nonsense zonal marking system used in defence has largely contributed to where we find ourselves unable to keep a clean sheet.
  • Sponsored links:

• If this was the start of the season I would be looking at someone like Andrew crofts. Heard he’s doing a very good job at Brighton and they think he may leave for a managers job soon. However I don’t think we can risk that now 
  • edited January 24
    I hope Fleming drops the zonal marking of space by the defenders and gets them to mark players. It’s been woeful 
    THIS - players at this level are not good enough for zonal marking - I can’t remember which player it was, but Curbs tells the story of telling someone to man mark Cristiano Ronaldo, and took the job so seriously, even went and stood next to him when Ronaldo changed his boots !!!

Edit - it was Keith Jones I think 
    Kishishev i think. Or maybe he was just the guy who booted Ronaldo up in the air.
  • CAFC shortlist 

Oohaah: At the interview said the players, fans and life is shit, shame as excellent cricketers who would've been good in the corridor of uncertainty.

Bob Munro: Good candidate as knows the employment law inside out. Unfortunately big Bob couldn't take the drop in wages.

Heather AKA Weegie: Well travelled female but also couldn't take the drop in wages. Wanted to be flown to every game from Scotch land. Have seen her on zoom and it looks like Heather lives in a Pub !

Henry Irvine: Great knowledge of Charlton History and a Museum man. Ruled out as he may bring back Wagstaff on the wing over Green. I would like to promote Henry as he has many fine qualities. (I still take cheques)

SoapboxSam: A man who believes winning a 32 team cup in the Competitive Tandridge youth league when the players aren't old enough to shave qualifies him for the poison chalice of Cafc men's team.
    Comedian !

Shooters hill Guru: Nearly got the Job as he could double up as the Physiotherapist but wanted to just work match days as he won't move down from Yorkshire.

Fanny Fanackapan: Great analytical brain but she dropped out when told she couldn't take her camera into the showers after training or matches. Shame as she is a great motivator; just ask Mr F !

Seth Plum: Saying every game is must win is unreasonable over 46 games to collect 138 points. Seth said if they don't want him to manage he will win the euro lottery and buy the club, Lock stock and 2 smoking barrels. 

AFKA: Born to be a Gaffer and intelligent guy when sober. He would want a cut of every transfer and to run the Comms department. Small but dynamic.

Shurely this has to be taken seriously, we are in a crisis after all. We need to make the call to Jonathan Ackworth?!
    THIS - players at this level are not good enough for zonal marking - I can’t remember which player it was, but Curbs tells the story of telling someone to man mark Cristiano Ronaldo, and took the job so seriously, even went and stood next to him when Ronaldo changed his boots !!!

Edit - it was Keith Jones I think 

To back up your point on Zonal marking:
    Blackpool who are having a decent season had a good comeback against Forest in the cup but a Forest player was totally unmarked in the box from a corner at the back post. 8 defenders and only 3 of the attackers were closely marked. 5 of the Blackpool players were marking each other !

They probably will learn from that and not give Charlton any room at all in and around the box on Saturday!
  • Nathan Jones (who was missing from the odds earlier) has gone in as 4/1 fav

Jones 4/1
    Duff 6/1
    Warburton 8/1
    Pearson 8/1
    Johnson 8/1
    Cotterill 10/1
    Eustace 10/1
    Ainsworth 10/1
    Bonner 12/1
    Parker 12/1
    Toshack 12/1
    Hurst 12/1
    Lindsey 12/1
    Rowett 12/1

Aka they don’t have a clue at this stage
  • Fleming is a snake 🐍. I'll work with you apples me old mate......Giza your job!!!!
  • Nathan Jones (who was missing from the odds earlier) has gone in as 4/1 fav

Jones 4/1
    Duff 6/1
    Warburton 8/1
    Pearson 8/1
    Johnson 8/1
    Cotterill 10/1
    Eustace 10/1
    Ainsworth 10/1
    Bonner 12/1
    Parker 12/1
    Toshack 12/1
    Hurst 12/1
    Lindsey 12/1
    Rowett 12/1

Aka they don’t have a clue at this stage

Can take Cotterill off the list , gone to FGR and Paul Hurst has gone back to Shrewsbury. 
  • Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    I honestly think Nathan Jones would sort them out in no time. 
    Well he didn't manage to sort them out at Stoke & Southampton. 
    I think that’s too simplistic. In my opinion we have a set of players who are underperforming significantly. They need someone who knows what they’re doing tactically and can motivate them. I’m pretty sure Jones could do that. 
    I wasn’t expecting to become the Nathan Jones cheerleader, but based on what I know about him, I think he’s the best fit. 
    Also, good luck if you think we’re going to appoint someone who hasn’t failed somewhere, unless you want someone who has never managed before. 
    Its not simplistic, he failed to do exactly what you are convinced he can do here.  Add in the bad repour with fans and his basket case media interviews when it was going tits up and you have yourself a real possible Appleton scenario yet again.

He did a brilliant job for Luton where he started them off in non league with nothing to lose and plenty of time. That is not the situation here at Charlton far from it. 

No I don't think we are going to appoint someone who hasn't been sacked before neither did I ever say so.  A certain poster on here connected to Stoke City has the same concerns as myself and a few others, he wouldn't have said so without good reason.  A Red Flag in our situation should not be overlooked.

• If you don't know Cameron Toshack; i didn't until 5 minutes ago other than guessing he's the son of John. 
    Was the Leeds assistant head coach until recently and has Managed in Macedonia and Cyprus which I'm sure will help in a relegation struggle in the 3rd tier of the EFL!
    FFS don't go posting stuff like this methven or his mates reading this will think you're serious & before you know it Toshack will have his feet under the table.