Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Stewart said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    What a sorry looking list that is , Lee Johnson 2nd fav? No thanks couldn’t think of anything worse , Ainsworth might be a shout of those journey men really 
    This odds list just shows how much thought bookies put into them.

Methven will not want Lee Johnson again, and Nigel Pearson has an illness and last i read he needed surgery.

He will fit in perfectly then. 
    Player/manager ?
  • supaclive said:
    ct_addick said:
    As a fan base we need to look at ourselves as well.....the treatment of Appleton at the end was disgusting....he probably walked into the tunnel at the end and said fuck this to Methven......
    Very good points. It was disgraceful. After 2 or 3 seasons I can understand this rage. He hasn't even had a fortnight with his own choice of players ffs! He inherited Holden's squad (who had inherited Garner's squad) And, not for the first time the charlton board have fired a coach when a window closes!!! How insane is this? 

Year after year. It is the joke of the league. 
    As Curbs said tonight ~ stability is key. Stable board. Stable team. Stable management. Stable club. If anyone at the club harbours designs on this club being a success then they need to first consider stability. 
    8 days to go in the window 
    You cannot keep a manager in situ who hasn't kelt a clean sheet in 15 games and has won 1 in 13.

Do yourself a favour!
    Fair points.
  • Did MA know Curtis Fleming and bring him in? Does anyone know?

He's got good credentials and experience and has at least had a couple of weeks to get to know the squad. It'll be interesting to see who makes the team on Saturday and how they're set up.

I found this on the website of the company (Oporto Sports) who started to represent him in November last year after he left Bristol City. I know the words are polished as he's their man but he's got good experience and has worked with good managers like Pulis and Nigel Pearson. I can't see them recruiting a dud.

"Oporto Sports is delighted to announce that we will representing experienced coach, Curtis Fleming.

Curtis began his playing career with St Patrick’s Athletic, winning the League of Ireland title, the League Cup and a runners-up spot, as well as playing in the European Cup and UEFA Cup during this period. He then moved to Middlesbrough, enjoying ten years on Teesside, winning three promotions to the Premier League, reaching two League Cup finals and an FA Cup final, before his testimonial in 2001 vs Athletic Bilbao. He went on to play for Birmingham City and Crystal Palace, where he won another promotion to the Premier League, captained Darlington and played in Champions League qualifiers for Shelbourne. Curtis was also capped for the Republic of Ireland at U18, U21, U23, B team and senior level.

Curtis’ coaching career began with Middlesbrough as an academy coach, before being assistant manager of Livingston and assistant coach of Ireland U21s, later returning to Boro’s academy. He then joined Crystal Palace as U21s development coach, stepping up to first-team coach and then a spell as caretaker manager.

In 2012, Curtis became first-team coach at Bolton Wanderers, reuniting with Dougie Freedman, before assistant roles at Hartlepool United and then QPR, followed by another spell with Middlesbrough as first-team coach under Tony Pulis.

Curtis’ first head coach role came in 2019 in India with Roundglass Punjab FC, winning a manager of the month award in February 2021, finishing 2nd in the I-League at the end of the first phase, and 4th at the end of the second phase.

His most recent role has come at Bristol City as assistant manager to Nigel Pearson, helping the club to achieve a year-on-year improved league finish in the Championship, while working with and helping to develop players including Antoine Semenyo, Alex Scott, Tommy Conway and Sam Bell.

Speaking about the announcement, Oporto director Dean Eldredge, said: “Curtis is undoubtedly a talented coach, with tactical awareness and technical skills, but he is also someone who is universally well-liked, respected and admired within the game. 

“Curtis’ charisma and enthusiasm is infectious and I believe, added to his boundless energy, he will be a real asset to a club, whether working as a coach, assistant or head coach. We look forward to working with him, and supporting him.”

• I hope Fleming drops the zonal marking of space by the defenders and gets them to mark players. It’s been woeful 
    And Wayne Rooney is available. That’s a joke by the way. 
    THIS - players at this level are not good enough for zonal marking - I can’t remember which player it was, but Curbs tells the story of telling someone to man mark Cristiano Ronaldo, and took the job so seriously, even went and stood next to him when Ronaldo changed his boots !!!

Edit - it was Keith Jones I think 

To back up your point on Zonal marking:
    Blackpool who are having a decent season had a good comeback against Forest in the cup but a Forest player was totally unmarked in the box from a corner at the back post. 8 defenders and only 3 of the attackers were closely marked. 5 of the Blackpool players were marking each other !

They probably will learn from that and not give Charlton any room at all in and around the box on Saturday!
    And to back it up even more, look at the space Hoskins had when he scored their 2nd last night !!!

IIRC it was Liverpool who pioneered zonal marking in British football in late 70’s - but they were Div 1, winning championships, FA Cups and European Cups - Div 3 footballers, even in this day and age, cannot do it 
  • I still worry that Jones is not the messiah some fans hope for, I would still welcome him but looking at the success at Luton, you wonder how much was him and how much was it being an extremely run club at recruitment similar to the likes of Brentford & Brighton.

As not as if Luton have struggled after losing him both times. 
  • Michael duff for me please not someone that’s been sacked in the passed all this charlton pass stuff won’t work. We are really in the brown stuff im afraid 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 24
    cazo said:
    Michael duff for me please not someone that’s been sacked in the passed all this charlton pass stuff won’t work. We are really in the brown stuff im afraid 

Reminds me of the story about Micky Duff, a boxing matchmaker in the 70s/80s in London for promoters Harry Levine and Michael Barratt (they controlled the London scene). There was a documentary made about British boxing and Micky was in his office showing off and saying "I need to speak to Don King". So he rings King's office and asks to speak to him. King comes on the phone and Micky says "Hi Don, it's Micky" to which Don King replied "Micky who?" - Duff says "Micky Duff" to which King then replies "Micky Duff who?".

I'm here all week!

• cazo said:
    Michael duff for me please not someone that’s been sacked in the passed all this charlton pass stuff won’t work. We are really in the brown stuff im afraid 
    Michael Duff got sacked from a job, just over a month ago?
    He’ll be back from his holidays then!
  • CafcWest said:
    Joey Barton with Eni Aluko as assistant...what could go wrong.
    How sexist surely Eni aluko with Joey Barton as assistant 
  • cazo said:
    Michael Duff got sacked from a job, just over a month ago?
    C’mon don’t let facts get in the way.
  • As much as I would probably prefer someone with a previously established connection with the club, I feel like we need to spend the money to bring in someone with established and recent quality and experience around this level. Given the pretty low bar set by every manager since Bowyer was here, it wouldn't take much more than some of the basics to build that kind of connection. Motivating these players to all play with the pride in the badge that Alfie May shows, defending with bodies on the line and simply giving every ounce of effort when you put on the shirt - it's these kind of seemingly simple things that only come from the words of the guy who picks the team and sends them out to play believing in themselves.

So many people regularly mention Curbs, Powell and Bowyer whenever this (far, far too common) conversation comes up - they are all rightly revered by all of us for a variety of reasons, but they are not the answer here. They have had their story at Charlton and be it age, motivation or whatever it may be, there is no reason for any of them to have their legacy tarnished by trying to come in now. Even more so than ever, it's an absolute pressure cooker to drag us out of the mire and someone needs to have the ability to give their everything to it now. They should absolutely talk to and even lean into the advice of Curbs (and not at all be too proud to listen) - but it needs to be supplementary to their own experience of modern football.

Younger or even average L1/L2 managers can't handle this job right now. It needs a steady, decent hand to get the best from these players. They need to be tactically astute and strong enough to motivate a squad that should be EASILY able to be top half and playoff bound. I just want to see streetwise, sensible football that builds on the basics of defending well and using the really solid forward options we have right now. Football that is built from maximum effort for ~100 minutes and just do the basics properly. This idea of a soft underbelly needs to go away and that starts in the mindset of players from believing in the words of whoever is in the dressing room. All the players will want this.

The SMT have got it wrong on this front multiple times, but have shown in this window that they will invest. We cannot fix their errors, but you just hope that they learn from them and don't settle for another crap manager. Money needs to be thrown at the manager too to get us out of this mire to get someone decent - particularly if they are on the fence about this circus we've been running recently. Someone can make a name for themselves here if they are good at what they do, but mediocrity will be quickly found out.

Michael Duff or Nathan Jones are the kind of managers we need to be looking at - it needs to be sorted asap, but equally, rushing into a sub-par appointment helps no-one.
  • T said:
    If you were in a slump and absolutely knew your manager was unlikely to be a success surely you have started putting out feelers for other candidates about 6 weeks ago so you weren't left in limbo/caught with your pants down again for the second time in 6 months? 
    This. Should know who they want. Go get him.
  • T said:
    If you were in a slump and absolutely knew your manager was unlikely to be a success surely you have started putting out feelers for other candidates about 6 weeks ago so you weren't left in limbo/caught with your pants down again for the second time in 6 months? 
    At a properly run football club yes, we seem to be run by charlatans who are are probably checking which of their mates are currently out of work & need a job.
  • Don’t know who most of these names are tbh, so am instinctively following support by numbers. When the club announced that Richard O’Donnell had left the club, I had no idea who they were referring to, until my boy tossed his eyes and said the bloke stood next to the bloke who had his hands in his pockets all the time. A club connected coach/manager is always my preference, but seems a fair bit of support for Duff and Jones tbf…
  • Sponsored links:

• T said:
    Maybe they have, it’ll be interesting to see how quickly we appoint someone.
  • The owners need to own the problems. If I was one, I'd either sort out or bail out.
  • Is Bielsa still available?  :)
  • I think Jones is another Charlton accident waiting to happen. 
    Heard a lot said about how he thinks far too much of himself - thinks of himself as a bit of a misunderstood messiah
  • T said:
    I would have thought at the very least they have been having conversations with managers/ agents since last Saturday, esp as they kept MA in place for last nights game.

Surely they have 1 or 2 main contenders in the frame as we speak .

Just cannot for the life of me see why there is so much 'love' for him on here .. from me it's a NO, NO and fecking well NOOOOOOOO
  • edited January 24
    I think Jones is another Charlton accident waiting to happen. 
    Just cannot for the life of me see why there is so much 'love' for him on here .. from me it's a NO, NO and fecking well NOOOOOOOO .. feel so strongly about this, I posted in 2times lol
    Heard a lot said about how he thinks far too much of himself - thinks of himself as a bit of a misunderstood messiah

• Don't want Jones. My in laws are all Saints fans and his time there was abysmal. Yes they struggled in general but he didn't carry himself well at all. Accident waiting to happen.
    We'll soon knock that out of him.

He's just a naughty boy.