Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• edited January 24
    Someone well connected in the football analytics space on Twitter has thrown together a long list of options to see what sticks… 

- Michael Duff
    - Gary Rowett
    - Gareth Ainsworth
    - Andy Woodman
    - Lee Bowyer
    - Nathan Jones
    - Danny Searle
    - Ben Garner
    - Paddy McCarthy
    - Scott Lindsey
    - Rhys McCabe
  • Been thinking about Fleming and his arrival 12 days ago is no coincidence in my eyes, particularly as him and Appleton have no history of working together.

So to me either 

1 Fleming had been brought into club to potentially be an Appleton replacement and there’s been a fortnight of understanding the squad etc, The ‘interim’ phase is effectively a trial to see how it goes and if a positive reaction is gained next game or two, he keeps the job.

2. Or he had been catapulted in in advance for who is going to be the next manager, so that when he arrives, his right hand man is already in the building and they are not starting it cold?

Second one seems the most likely to me. I’m 99% it’s not the 3rd option, that he was genuinely brought in to assist Appleton and it’s all been a coincidence and lucky timing for him he finds himself in this position 
    If we're looking to bring in a decent level manager then wouldn't he want to bring his own assistant with him? 

If i was a good manager and had worked well with my own assistant in previous roles, i don't think i'd be too keen to take a job where someone i'd never worked with before was forced on me.
    That is my point 2 Chris; that the next manager was already kind of arranged (in this case Pearson), and his lieutenant has been brought in in advance 

Don't take the credit on this one :) , I called this option, although was not aware Pearson has health problems atm.
    Pearson would have been good as he would grabbed people by the scruff of the neck.
    Perhaps they'll take a chance with Fleming and Euell, hope we stay up, then in the meantime Pearson can get his health situation sorted and is our manager for next season.
  • We don't even know the extent of Fleming's contract, he might only be on a month to month rolling deal or he may be on a two year deal, we don't know. 
  • Someone well connected in the football analytics space on Twitter has thrown together a long list of options to see what sticks… 

- Michael Duff
    - Gary Rowett
    - Gareth Ainsworth
    - Andy Woodman
    - Lee Bowyer
    - Nathan Jones
    - Danny Searle
    - Ben Garner
    - Paddy McCarthy
    - Scott Lindsey
    - Rhys McCabe
    Some interesting and different names there. The article he references is here: https://thesixpointer.co.uk/2024/01/21/5-potential-new-charlton-managers/
  • not sure why people think we should wait and drag out the process of appointing someone

we did that last time with multiple rounds of interviews and ended up with Appleton remember 🤦🏻‍♂️

they should target the best out there they think we can get and go get them asap and turn these results around
  • _MrDick said:
    Nathan Jones for me. He did well at a smaller club (Luton) but struggled at the Bigger clubs (Stoke and Southampton). The way things stand, we’re now a smaller club with potential to grow. I think he’d be a perfect fit 
    He did well at one club, and not well at two clubs. 
    And why did he do well at Luton?  Did they recruit really good players, or did he take a load of average players snd get a tune out of them? Only asking because I don’t know. 
  • CAFC shortlist 

Oohaah: At the interview said the players, fans and life is shit, shame as excellent cricketers who would've been good in the corridor of uncertainty.

Bob Munro: Good candidate as knows the employment law inside out. Unfortunately big Bob couldn't take the drop in wages.

Heather AKA Weegie: Well travelled female but also couldn't take the drop in wages. Wanted to be flown to every game from Scotch land. Have seen her on zoom and it looks like Heather lives in a Pub !

Henry Irvine: Great knowledge of Charlton History and a Museum man. Ruled out as he may bring back Wagstaff on the wing over Green. I would like to promote Henry as he has many fine qualities. (I still take cheques)

SoapboxSam: A man who believes winning a 32 team cup in the Competitive Tandridge youth league when the players aren't old enough to shave qualifies him for the poison chalice of Cafc men's team.
    Comedian !

Shooters hill Guru: Nearly got the Job as he could double up as the Physiotherapist but wanted to just work match days as he won't move down from Yorkshire.

Fanny Fanackapan: Great analytical brain but she dropped out when told she couldn't take her camera into the showers after training or matches. Shame as she is a great motivator; just ask Mr F !

Seth Plum: Saying every game is must win is unreasonable over 46 games to collect 138 points. Seth said if they don't want him to manage he will win the euro lottery and buy the club, Lock stock and 2 smoking barrels. 

AFKA: Born to be a Gaffer and intelligent guy when sober. He would want a cut of every transfer and to run the Comms department. Small but dynamic.

I demand a recount. 
  • I don't know what health problems Pearson is supposed to have but he was on Sky at the weekend as part of punditry panel covering a live Championship match. 
  • edited January 25
    Someone who at least looks the part and proudly wears a club tie on match days would be step in the right direction.

I have zero confidence these charlatans will get this right any more than they have got anything else right during their destructive tenure.  
  • I don't know what health problems Pearson is supposed to have but he was on Sky at the weekend as part of punditry panel covering a live Championship match. 
    Recent back surgery alongside an unspecified neurological issue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fleming will be the next full time head coach
  • not sure why people think we should wait and drag out the process of appointing someone

we did that last time with multiple rounds of interviews and ended up with Appleton remember 🤦🏻‍♂️

they should target the best out there they think we can get and go get them asap and turn these results around
    Yeah let’s just grab the first passing unemployed manager we find. Absolutely not. It’s vital we get this appointment spot on. See who’s out there and available but also cast the net wider to managers currently in a job. Being able to attract the right people might be a problem but we have to try. You can’t do that in a week or two. We must get the right man.
  • Cloudworm said:
    Fleming will be the next full time head coach
    Why do you think that?
  • Lennie Lawrence 
  • edited January 25
    While we wait for news how many former players aside from the obvious are managers or have managed in the past? Got these so far:

Shaun Bartlett
    Jonatan Johansson
    Claus Jensen
    Jorge Costa
    Radostin Kishishev
    Paolo Di Canio
    Scott Parker
    Mark Kinsella
    Martin Pringle
  • Bailey said:
    Scoham said:
    Cloudworm said:
    Fleming will be the next full time head coach
    Why do you think that?
    It may be that Fleming being added to the coaching staff a few weeks ago was an indication that Appleton's days were numbered. It's interesting to see the list of potential managers this time round, after Ferguson rejected our overtures, the list at the time was fairly shocking, Appleton, The Cowleys, Lee Johnson. As a lot of people said and thought at the time, the club would have been better to have persevered with Holden, he would have done no worse, in my opinion, and the alienation caused by the appointment and subsequent failure of Appleton would have been avoided. 
    Spot on. I couldn't see our fan base turning on Holden the way they did Gollum. 
  • If it is Jones that gets the job, would the Covered End, as one, do the Bananarama 'chorus' dance! 😂
  • Scoham said:
    While we wait for news how many former players aside from the obvious are managers or have managed in the past? Got these so far:

Shaun Bartlett
    Jonatan Johansson
    Claus Jensen
    Jorge Costa
    Radostin Kishishev
    Paolo Di Canio
    Scott Parker
    Mark Kinsella
    Martin Pringle

Hermann Hreidarsson

Hasselbaink
    Graham Murty
    Mark Bowen
    Steve Thompson
    Peter Shirtliff
    Neil Redfearn
    Alan Kernaghan
    Leroy Rosenior 
    Alan Mcleary
    Chris Wilder

• Sponsored links:

• Lennie Lawrence 
    The Lawrence appointment at Hartlepool is a bit of a shady one. Sounds like it’s the assistant calling the shots who doesn’t want the manager title. 
  • Brownie12 said:
    Scoham said:

Shaun Bartlett
    Jonatan Johansson
    Claus Jensen
    Jorge Costa
    Radostin Kishishev
    Paolo Di Canio
    Scott Parker
    Mark Kinsella
    Martin Pringle

Hermann Hreidarsson

Hasselbaink
    Graham Murty
    Mark Bowen
    Steve Thompson
    Peter Shirtliff
    Neil Redfearn
    Alan Kernaghan
    Leroy Rosenior 
    Alan Mcleary
    Chris Wilder

Gary Rowett
  • Brownie12 said:
    Scoham said:

Shaun Bartlett
    Jonatan Johansson
    Claus Jensen
    Jorge Costa
    Radostin Kishishev
    Paolo Di Canio
    Scott Parker
    Mark Kinsella
    Martin Pringle

Hermann Hreidarsson

Hasselbaink
    Graham Murty
    Mark Bowen
    Steve Thompson
    Peter Shirtliff
    Neil Redfearn
    Alan Kernaghan
    Leroy Rosenior 
    Alan Mcleary
    Chris Wilder

Gary Rowett
    Pardew..
  • jams said:
    Let's not rewrite history, top man though he is, Holden was terrible tactically 
    All about opinions but the fella had a 40% league win rate with us. 

Were results the reason Holden got the sack in August, or was Scott not happy with something else? Maybe it was his tactics then? 
  • Jones or Duff would have been ideal instead of Appleton, they both have a style of play that players need time to learn and adjust to. Unfortunately our results over the pst two months leaves us in a position where we don't hve time for this.Personally would like either of them to take control after the last game of the season where the have a whole pre season to work on this.
  • shirty5 said:
    jams said:

Were results the reason Holden got the sack in August, or was Scott not happy with something else? Maybe it was his tactics then? 
    I thought it was stated at the time that it was because they recruited players to play a certain system and then Holden changed the system?
  • shirty5 said:
    jams said:

I thought it was stated at the time that it was because they recruited players to play a certain system and then Holden changed the system?
    Was that on the official website at the time or noise heard from sources inside the club?