Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Options
    edited February 5
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    NTT20 pos worth a listen. 
    Really like the sound of how flexible he is tactically, both formations and styles of play. We haven’t had that since Bowyer.
    His tactics to keep them in the championship against Blackburn were superb, just kept changing formation never gave up catch it on YouTube. 
    Nathan Jones • Luton Town’s tactics vs Blackburn during their nine-game Championship survival plan (youtube.com)
    The end of the video he talks about the types of character required to avoid relegation. He knows who he needs to look for and I am in no doubt he will only pick the fighters we need with no time for passengers. This, along with his decent tactical nous and in game management gives me confidence we will survive but we are also going to need the odd bit of luck here and there given the precarious league position we are currently at. Come on you Welsh Wizard!!
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Thought Ali and George spoke really well about the problems we've got and how NJ is the right man to solve them. Interesting to hear the Diamond brought up.... 
    Something similar to the diamond we played under Bowyer could work for us. The split forwards working each channel and providing crosses for the other striker as we did with Taylor and Grant would suit Ladapo and May much better than whatever we were trying to do with them on Saturday. Dobbo or REG in the Bielik role, Coventry in the Cullen role, Camara (I'll be optimistic and say we can get him fit) or Watson in the Aribo role. Who would at the forward point of the diamond n the Jamie Ward/Johnnie Williams role is the big question.
    Tarique Fosu could play the Tarique Fosu role😂 He and Ward rotated it for the first half of that season. 

A serious answer, maybe Tyreece Campbell? He’s played centrally before and in the diamond would have a bit of freedom to drift out wide 

I think we will play 3 at the back anyway, first focus is going to be on being more solid defensively. Maybe next season when we’ve got a proper 10 we might switch to the way Jones really wants to play 
    The day Appleton played Campbell in the middle was the day I knew it wasn’t going to work for him.

If we’re being honest. If we play the diamond, Camara is our best shot there. He just has to not be crocked the entire time. 
    Camara isn’t a 10 either. I think he’s perfectly suited to one of the outside positions in the diamond. 

Louie Watson maybe a decent shout, but I still think it’s more likely we play 3-5-2 because we don’t have that number 10 and we can’t defend. Then maybe switch to a diamond if we are chasing a goal or want to unleash Chuks but still have May and Ladapo/Kanu on at the same time 
  • Options
    I wonder who is centre backs will be;
    Thomas first choice on current form.
    Gillesphey (despite the couple of mistakes).
    Ness who may be rediscovering his earlier form, or
    Jones, who lost his aura after a few bad performances.
    And REG can play there? I thought that was his preferred position, but I see he has played as a CM as well quite a bit.
    There's no real commanding rock in that defence, whoever you pick, unfortunately.
    But maybe he can improved all of them?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ButtleJR said:

"According to the #Charlton website, Curtis Fleming’s role is now Assistant Head Coach, his previous role before (Interim Manager) was “Assistant Manager” so one would assume he’s being kept on the coaching team. 

Jones staff will probably be announced next few days #cafc"

Huh ? Am I missing something here ? He was never "Assistant manager", we didn't even have a manager, Appleton was head coach & Fleming was all of a sudden his assistant.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    I know some are jokey, but I don’t get the comments about him regretting it, being mad to take the job etc. Managers are egotistical, love a challenge and always want to be the person who turns a club’s fortunes around. He’ll be watching, first of all knowing he can’t do much worse and secondly knowing that all he needs is a couple of wins to be an instant hero.
    Yep, he knows he has a reasonable squad that are underperforming. He will be confident that he will turn this around.

i reckon you can get better odds on derby going up than us going down but they didn't carve us open at will and create chance after chance.

jones will only be feeling low if he has created a Charlton life account today! I reckon that he believes he will get us 16th or above  

You can get 5/1 on us finishing top half
    You can get 9/1 on us being relegated

If Jones actually gets in the door and kicks some arse then 5/1 sounds a good bet...🙄
    Top half ! ! ! 
    I think survival by the skin of our teeth is just about doable. 
    Our March fixtures should see us safe, on the basis that jones can get an under achieving squad to get their heads out of their arses and perofrm
    I’m not sure they could perform, let alone perofrm. 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Was interesting to read the BBC article comments from Luton fans saying that 6 of their starting team in the prem were Jones signings. Seems he can pick a player and hopefully he can repeat the trick here. 
    but not for six months, if he is still here.
  • Options
    Listening to NTT20 podcast last week when talking about us they said that there isn’t a team in the country more primed for a new manager bounce than us. They seem to believe that with the right manager this team can be a good side. 
    They also sang the praises of Appleton when he was appointed.
    Elek was always going to sing Appleton's praises as Elek is an Oxford fan. We would sing Chris Powell's praises but other fans would shake their heads at having him at their club.
    SCP was good for us and at Leicester, and is presumably doing OK within the England set-up but would any of us claim he was a success elsewhere?
  • Options
    Sorry, but I don't buy this LMA thing. They are just a "Trade Union" for managers. I doubt they get much say in agreeing a contract. Yes, they may give advice to their "members" as to the content of it & whether any special clauses should be added or omitted, but in the final analysis if Jones is happy with what we are offering he just needs to sign it.

Seems like there must be some unusual / contentious clauses in it for the LMA to be "making alterations" to it. Probably is a relegation clause or a "freedom to move if a better offer comes along" option being inserted. For his benefit I would say, not ours. 
    For an intelligent person, you do talk some rubbish at times. 
  • Options
    Blimey one video of Nathan Jones on the training ground and we have already seen his hands.  Already puts him ahead of the last bloke.
    Superb acting...think he's RADA trained.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would Jones and Louie Watson been at Luton together? - wonder if he already knows him and we might see him at the tip of a midfield diamond on Saturday?
  • Options
    Would Jones and Louie Watson been at Luton together? - wonder if he already knows him and we might see him at the tip of a midfield diamond on Saturday?
    Yeah I saw someone else post, saying that Jones signed Watson
  • Options
    edited February 6
    nagAddick said:
    You're right - I had to watch back cos he was easy to miss.

I prefer your comedy to your rants !

Thank you DNS for doing what all Charlton Athletic fans/critics need and that is giving 100+ people 😂 a release to the quick sand of cafc implosion.

Comedy is always at somebody's expense and we all love Aneke and as Jayden Stockley told me 20 months ago if Chuks body and mind (they work in tandem) didn't let him down so often he would be a top Championship player.

If Nathan Jones could cure Chuks with the coming together of hands than a miracle would've happened. Being an atheist myself, more likely to be the hands of a physiotherapist BUT I'm prepared to accept divine intervention !

The wee Welshman Jones faces a big challenge in taking on the moribund CAFC and maybe just crazy and driven enough to succeed and motivate and organise our disparate group of strangers/players.

Amen.
  • Options
    edited February 6
    Dazzler21 said:
    robroy said:
    Yeah I'm completely tapped, cause that video has given me butterflies. 

Into em' you Welsh King.
     Love how strong he is with them on Day 1. 

"That's getting sloppy"
    "If you do this properly the ball goes straight now and again"
    "Think about switching on"

And those are the post edited comments. I bet there was a lot of stronger language and tone too.

It's like having a professional in the room.

Yeah it's a few little things, but it's the energy. Energy is completely contagious, and I get the feeling he is going to elevate certain players, and expose the players who aren't fit to don the red and white. 

This is a bloke who isn't gonna let the players take the piss, and I don't get the impression he will let us down or risk ruining his own reputation.

Really looking forward to Reading, might get the Lizzy Line instead of driving so I can have a few. Buzzing.

You are a keen as mustard fan and hearing your rants and how low you were on Saturday night wasn't great viewing But for all of our sakes we need an up turn. It may not be instant but over 16 games we have to get the points by team work, organisation and belief. And back on planet earth we need the opposition to be profligate in front of goal and some Luck thrown into the mix.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Good to see he's not given up.

This is a proper spit your coffee out moment. I’m sitting on the train pissing myself. The people around me think I’m a nutter 

edit: This photo has to go into the Charlton Life Hall of Fame best photos 
    Just done exactly the same half hour later!

Brilliant @DamoNorthStand and @Raith_C_Chattonell
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Maybe a time to change the thread title...i think we know who our Manager is now...🙄
    Rumour it's Nathan Jones
    How soon can the Appleton pics be added to threads when we're looking like needing a change of manager? 
    Never again, we tempted fate and ended up almost getting relegated to the fourth division (we may still!)!