Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Options
    I am a bit mystified by the whole drop AMB stuff. Apart from the cock up at Blackpool which he got away with and the dodgy punch against Derby, I cant think of any glaring errors and he was absolutely fantastic at Port Vale - who had 34 !!! shots on goal. 
    When I've seen Isted , he actually looks awful to me ? - he seemed to let everything in ! 
    Isted's distribution is the reason I'd like him to play. AMB may not have thrown many into his own net but considering how much of our play goes through him, he's not great at it
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Thought Ali and George spoke really well about the problems we've got and how NJ is the right man to solve them. Interesting to hear the Diamond brought up.... 
    Something similar to the diamond we played under Bowyer could work for us. The split forwards working each channel and providing crosses for the other striker as we did with Taylor and Grant would suit Ladapo and May much better than whatever we were trying to do with them on Saturday. Dobbo or REG in the Bielik role, Coventry in the Cullen role, Camara (I'll be optimistic and say we can get him fit) or Watson in the Aribo role. Who would at the forward point of the diamond n the Jamie Ward/Johnnie Williams role is the big question.
    Tarique Fosu could play the Tarique Fosu role😂 He and Ward rotated it for the first half of that season. 

A serious answer, maybe Tyreece Campbell? He’s played centrally before and in the diamond would have a bit of freedom to drift out wide 

I think we will play 3 at the back anyway, first focus is going to be on being more solid defensively. Maybe next season when we’ve got a proper 10 we might switch to the way Jones really wants to play 
    The day Appleton played Campbell in the middle was the day I knew it wasn’t going to work for him.

If we’re being honest. If we play the diamond, Camara is our best shot there. He just has to not be crocked the entire time. 
    Camara isn’t a 10 either. I think he’s perfectly suited to one of the outside positions in the diamond. 

Louie Watson maybe a decent shout, but I still think it’s more likely we play 3-5-2 because we don’t have that number 10 and we can’t defend. Then maybe switch to a diamond if we are chasing a goal or want to unleash Chuks but still have May and Ladapo/Kanu on at the same time 
    Depends how you use the diamond to be honest. Bowyer used very attacking creative players in the promotion season. Ward, Williams, Fosu ( who was bad there), Marshall (who was worse), Aribo, Reeves, Ajose. Looking back it's actually absurd how much that diamond was rotated around the players. Cullen, Aribo, Reeves, Pratley, they all played different roles in it across the season depending on who was available. In the Championship season though Bowyer started off liking playing Gallagher at the tip of the diamond to win the ball back high up and allowing Williams playing behind him to pounce on the space created by that. You can play an aggressive, ball winning high pressing midfielder at the tip of a diamond as long as you have midfielders behind willing to step into the space that creates, and I suspect Dobson and Bakinson would be used to do that. I think we'll probably go 352 though, at least until Jones has more of the players he wants.
    I don’t remember Ward at all?
  • Options
    We really don’t need a GK learning on the job. Between the sticks is the one place you can afford to have age and experience. 
    Couldn’t agree more but the alternatives are not that great either with Isted contracted to 2025 with a year’s  option and AMB to 2026. Ward’s contract is only until end of season so there’s an opportunity to replace him as it’s unlikely the other two will volunteer to move on.
  • Options
    Jones will be familiar with Isted, but he never played him in a league game for Luton.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    NabySarr said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Thought Ali and George spoke really well about the problems we've got and how NJ is the right man to solve them. Interesting to hear the Diamond brought up.... 
    Something similar to the diamond we played under Bowyer could work for us. The split forwards working each channel and providing crosses for the other striker as we did with Taylor and Grant would suit Ladapo and May much better than whatever we were trying to do with them on Saturday. Dobbo or REG in the Bielik role, Coventry in the Cullen role, Camara (I'll be optimistic and say we can get him fit) or Watson in the Aribo role. Who would at the forward point of the diamond n the Jamie Ward/Johnnie Williams role is the big question.
    Tarique Fosu could play the Tarique Fosu role😂 He and Ward rotated it for the first half of that season. 

A serious answer, maybe Tyreece Campbell? He’s played centrally before and in the diamond would have a bit of freedom to drift out wide 

I think we will play 3 at the back anyway, first focus is going to be on being more solid defensively. Maybe next season when we’ve got a proper 10 we might switch to the way Jones really wants to play 
    The day Appleton played Campbell in the middle was the day I knew it wasn’t going to work for him.

If we’re being honest. If we play the diamond, Camara is our best shot there. He just has to not be crocked the entire time. 
    Camara isn’t a 10 either. I think he’s perfectly suited to one of the outside positions in the diamond. 

Louie Watson maybe a decent shout, but I still think it’s more likely we play 3-5-2 because we don’t have that number 10 and we can’t defend. Then maybe switch to a diamond if we are chasing a goal or want to unleash Chuks but still have May and Ladapo/Kanu on at the same time 
    Depends how you use the diamond to be honest. Bowyer used very attacking creative players in the promotion season. Ward, Williams, Fosu ( who was bad there), Marshall (who was worse), Aribo, Reeves, Ajose. Looking back it's actually absurd how much that diamond was rotated around the players. Cullen, Aribo, Reeves, Pratley, they all played different roles in it across the season depending on who was available. In the Championship season though Bowyer started off liking playing Gallagher at the tip of the diamond to win the ball back high up and allowing Williams playing behind him to pounce on the space created by that. You can play an aggressive, ball winning high pressing midfielder at the tip of a diamond as long as you have midfielders behind willing to step into the space that creates, and I suspect Dobson and Bakinson would be used to do that. I think we'll probably go 352 though, at least until Jones has more of the players he wants.
    Jamie Ward on loan from Forest.

• Options
    I am a bit mystified by the whole drop AMB stuff. Apart from the cock up at Blackpool which he got away with and the dodgy punch against Derby, I cant think of any glaring errors and he was absolutely fantastic at Port Vale - who had 34 !!! shots on goal. 
    When I've seen Isted , he actually looks awful to me ? - he seemed to let everything in ! 
    There was one effort that stands out against Derby, where he came for a cross... Had absolutely no one around him and punched it clear

You could see Thomas turn to him even then, and I imagine ask why he didnt just catch it.

Won't be surprised if Maynard-Brewer gets one, maybe two games under Jones to show his worth and then we might see a chance... Of course its understandable to call for Isted to be given minutes, but if Ashley is still keeping his place in the team (It might be because Managers loath to change the Goalkeeper), questions should also be asked about Isted in training.

Because its quite possible he's not getting in the starting line up, because at Sparrows Lane, he's not showing enough to be put in his place.
  • Options
    Anyhoo, good luck Nathan - you're going to need it with the squad you have inherited.
  • Options
    He needs to go back to basics for the next few games and build from there.
  • Options
    edited February 6
    RedChaser said:
    As things stand the goalkeepers jersey is up for grabs but Isted has only just got over his injury, is not that big a lad and a bit of a journeyman like Walker although he’s much taller at 6’6” and the most experienced.

However Managers are normally reluctant to drop a keeper which does their confidence even more harm when they’re going through a rough patch which is where AMB is at the moment whilst still learning on the job in my opinion.

NJ will no doubt get the low down from the back room staff, Dobson and the CBs and a change could be afoot but I don’t think we’ll see that this Saturday unless either of the other two have been playing like Dino Zoff in training.
    Good post, however, the attempt to allow a keeper to regain confidence could cost a lot of points .. keeper is THE most important position on the field, bad keeper=nervous/anxious team, especially the defence, good keeper=confidence through the team and better performance right through the side .. IF a keeper is having a bad time, toughness is required and assuming there is a decent alternative to come in, he MUST be replaced before too much harm is done .. in our case give Walker a go, as said he's a big and experienced unit and our current first choice duo are i m o just not up to it .. even better as I said days ago somewhere on here, go all out looking for an experienced and able permanent replacement a s a p
    Ward (got him mixed up with Walker who played v CVPM in the Cup now at Bradford) would be my preference as well 👍.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AMB seems to have a technical weakness. As mentioned by many people, he's fine at reaction saves. The weakness seems to be in his footwork, when he needs to take a side step or two before pulling out the dive. This is particularly evident when he needs to move to his left and has led to a number of long range efforts comfortably beating him when he should be at the very least getting close to them.

We've got a terrible shots on target to goals conceded ratio. So many games we've only allowed 2 or 3 shots on target, but conceded 1 or 2 goals.
  • Options
    He’s a lot more Welsh than I realised!
    Being from Wales my wife is convinced this is what Charlton have been missing all these years. I just hope the players can understand what he is trying to tell them!
  • Options
    There was one effort that stands out against Derby, where he came for a cross... Had absolutely no one around him and punched it clear

You could see Thomas turn to him even then, and I imagine ask why he didnt just catch it.

Won't be surprised if Maynard-Brewer gets one, maybe two games under Jones to show his worth and then we might see a chance... Of course its understandable to call for Isted to be given minutes, but if Ashley is still keeping his place in the team (It might be because Managers loath to change the Goalkeeper), questions should also be asked about Isted in training.

Because its quite possible he's not getting in the starting line up, because at Sparrows Lane, he's not showing enough to be put in his place.
    AMB must be the only youngster who hasn't been 'rested' through our dismal run and the team haven't kept a clean sheet in a long time. I don't think many of the goals we've let in have been his 'fault' and he's kept us in games on a number of occasions with his shot stopping yet the clean sheet stat does reflect on whoever is the keeper and must be affecting his confidence and perhaps his leadership in the box during games......... but he's stuck at it and deserves some credit for that.
    Sure he's still learning, he makes mistakes and he needs to grow into a keeper who's part of the defence rather than being the last line/last resort but I'm with you, I think he's earned his chance and I hope he gets it.
  • Options
    Port Vale had 29 shots, 12 on a target. As much as AMB made some decent reflex saves that game, they are more in line with what I expect a keeper to be able to deal with. 

To be honest I’m not sure Istead is the answer, though I think he is certainly worth a go. At this level I’d want to have a big physical beast who can command his area
    Lewis Ward fits the size criteria, was an England u16 youth international but hasn’t played a lot in the EFL or above L1. Whether he can deal with the routine stuff is another matter 🤷‍♂️.
  • Options
    I would like to see Isted get a run of games starting Saturday as think he is better then some fans believe. 
  • Options
    Think people need to remember AMB is what 23/24 which is still relatively young for a goalie.The main thing I think he needs to improve is his communication with defenders not sure this is age related too or lack of confidence but you don’t see him ranting at his defenders in last game someone done a hospital back pass too him and he didn’t say anything I would like to see him going mental at the defenders. 
  • Options
    Think people need to remember AMB is what 23/24 which is still relatively young for a goalie.The main thing I think he needs to improve is his communication with defenders not sure this is age related too or lack of confidence but you don’t see him ranting at his defenders in last game someone done a hospital back pass too him and he didn’t say anything I would like to see him going mental at the defenders. 
    He’s played a lot of games though and most of them for CAFC. After 62 games in goal for a club he should be able to communicate with and order his defence about. 
  • Options
    There is of course one aspect which could give Isted the advantage / disadvantage compared to Maynard-Brewer.

Nathan Jones signed him for Luton in the first place... Didnt play him much though...
  • Options
    I don’t think either are good enough for a promotion push. Hope we bring in a better GK than both and move one on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Ward couldn’t get into a league 2 team and for most of his career has been a backup keeper in league 2. He should be nowhere near playing for us in league 1

Isted should be in goal, and then we should be signing a new 1st choice in the summer and moving one of Isted/AMB on 
    Might be perfect next season then.
  • Options
    Isted is very inexperienced at this level & on my very limited viewing looks an accident waiting to happen. AMB is a great shot stopper but needs a huge amount of work on the rest of his game.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    As things stand the goalkeepers jersey is up for grabs but Isted has only just got over his injury, is not that big a lad and a bit of a journeyman like Ward although he’s much taller at 6’5” and the most experienced.

However Managers are normally reluctant to drop a keeper which does their confidence even more harm when they’re going through a rough patch which is where AMB is at the moment whilst still learning on the job in my opinion.

NJ will no doubt get the low down from the back room staff, Dobson and the CBs and a change could be afoot but I don’t think we’ll see that this Saturday unless either of the other two have been playing like Dino Zoff in training.
    Plenty of keepers have been dropped. I remember Bob Bolder losing his place to Mick Salmon for a few games after a poor spell.

It's not as if we have a clear No 1. Isted actually started the season in goal before his injury.
  • Options
    edited February 6
    RedChaser said:
    As things stand the goalkeepers jersey is up for grabs but Isted has only just got over his injury, is not that big a lad and a bit of a journeyman like Ward although he’s much taller at 6’5” and the most experienced.

Plenty of keepers have been dropped. I remember Bob Bolder losing his place to Mick Salmon for a few games after a poor spell.

It's not as if we have a clear No 1. Isted actually started the season in goal before his injury.
    Of course plenty of keepers have been dropped no one said they haven’t but it’ll be a very bold move if NJ in his first game in charge drops AMB mind you not that he should have any complaints.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    JamesSeed said:
    NabySarr said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Jamie Ward on loan from Forest.

9 games for us in 2018 and one goal. Clearly didn’t make much of an impression on me. He’s now at Nuneaton Borough. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Port Vale had 29 shots, 12 on a target. As much as AMB made some decent reflex saves that game, they are more in line with what I expect a keeper to be able to deal with. It’s all the other parts of his game that worry me - he’s quiet, his distribution is sooooo slow, he is not particularly great at coming for crosses, he has a tendency to punch the ball back into danger areas. 

To be honest I’m not sure Istead is the answer, though I think he is certainly worth a go. At this level I’d want to have a big physical beast who can command his area
    Istead is quite small for a keeper, and I’m not sure he’s a better bet than AMB right now. It’s a tricky one. 
  • Options
    Brewer isn't that much bigger. 

He's been a bag of nerve for ages, and Isted was finding decent form before he got injured. I'd make the change, whether NJ wants to, I don't know
  • Options
    Willing to give Isted another chance if/when he plays. But christ he was shit at the start of the season! Don't recall ever seeing him make a save until the game where he got injured.